Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 53
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 2, 2014 06:19

triceratops
Anyone know why the Page+Black Crows tour split up? They were supposed to do more dates but Jimmy left precipitously

Chris was a huge party animal around that time, maybe Page got tired of all the drugs being consumed on tour. peace

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 2, 2014 07:36

Interview:
Jimmy Page
01/10/2014 ~ by Paul Elliott
On October 27, the Led Zeppelin remasters series continues with the release of expanded versions of Led Zeppelin IV and Houses Of The Holy.

> Jimmy Page

Guitarist Jimmy Page tells Classic Rock about the previously unreleased tracks included with these reissues, and the one that got away – his lost demo of The Rain Song. He reflects upon how the music industry has changed since Zeppelin’s heyday in the 70s. And he tells us how proud he is that Whole Lotta Love was recently voted number one in the BBC’s poll of the 100 Greatest Guitar Riffs.

Led Zeppelin IV is the band’s most famous album and biggest seller. Because of this, do you think that Houses Of The Holy, the follow-up, is underrated?

They’re both superb albums. But I still meet people who say that Houses Of The Holy is their favourite album. And then I meet others who say that the third album (Led Zeppelin III) is their favourite. It depends almost where you access Led Zeppelin and at what point – what album it is. At the time when the albums were originally released, the buying public at that time, it was very personal to them. They would really get into everything.

For fans, the real value of these new reissues is in the ‘companion discs’ of previously unreleased material – including, with Led Zeppelin IV, a mix of Stairway To Heaven from Sunset Sound studios in LA.

With the companion discs, there’s more of a communication between the music and the listener, I think. You’ve got the archetype versions that were released in the first place. That was the way I wanted to present them at the time. But the mix of Stairway does sound different. That’s the whole point.

Has any of this kind of material been lost over the years?

Yes. I had a home demo of The Rain Song (from Houses Of The Holy), but unfortunately the tapes have been lost. Which is a real bastard.

Was this a fully formed version of the song?

Yes. I literally had the full piece from beginning to end. I had the Mellotron idea and everything on it. But the version of The Rain Song on the new companion disc is a really cool one. It’s got less piano on it, so you get more of the guitar textures. I really liked the version that we did on (1976 live album) The Song Remains The Same. I thought we were working it really well. These songs, you see, they’re recorded and they come out on an album, and then they were included in the live set, and they would start to mutate. That was what was so good about it. So the live version on The Song Remains The Same is quite different to how it is on the studio version.

Does that explain why Led Zeppelin was a one-band bootleg industry?

At one point I think it was (laughs). But that’s the thing with doing concerts differently every night, you see.

You also had at least four songs from the fourth album in the live set months before the album was released.

We toured the UK and Europe and America, playing all this stuff before the album was out. Now, bands can’t do that. You’ve just given them half the album, basically, in the set – way up front, in advance. But for us, it was really great, because people would get a chance to really hear how we were changing and developing. Hearing it in advance of albums – cool!

As the producer of the Zeppelin albums, what do you hear in modern rock music? Does it sound over-produced, too clinical?

With Led Zeppelin, at that time, it was real performance on those albums. We made a decision just to be really honest with what we were doing. If you did a song it wasn’t made up one word at a time and all pieced together with ProTools. And you know, that’s another way of doing things. I’m not saying that that is necessarily wrong at all, because I really like what they do with modern mixing. But for Led Zeppelin, we recorded performances, in a compact and concise way, where you heard about other bands that just went on and on and on, doing the same song all through the night and starting up the next day…

In which time…

We could have had half a side of an album done (laughs). No, but you know what I’m getting at. It’s like if you’re doing a painting. At what point is the painting finished? It’s the same with music. You have to know when to say, ‘that’s it.’

It was a little different when Zeppelin played live, though. You’d do three hours before you’d say, ‘that’s it’…

Well, the most difficult thing was actually when the new albums came out, when we were putting the new material in, and as time went by – second album, third album, then the fourth and fifth albums – the hard thing was taking numbers out. There was a lot to remember when you were going on, if you were doing a three-hour set.

You’ve talked about playing live again in 2015. Presumably, at the age of 70, you might not fancy doing three hours a night, for months on end?

I don’t know whether I could, but I wouldn’t want to commit to it. If I was out touring, I would want to keep building slowly. I wouldn’t do a six-month tour of five nights a week. That wouldn’t necessarily be my cup of tea at the moment.

And when you do get back to performing live, you’ll surely have to play Whole Lotta Love, now that’s been voted the greatest guitar riff of all time?

You’ll have to wait and see (laughs). But really, it’s a thrill to have that kind of recognition. I noticed they were discussing it on the BBC News and they were going to have a recount. They were saying, ‘What do you think, everybody?’ And I thought, oh, here we go… it’ll be something else at the top. But it is a great riff – there’s no doubt about that. It’s a serious riff. So thank you very much. I didn’t expect it. There are so many other goodies out there. But I was really pleased. The voting public, they considered it to be number one. That’s really terrific.

Date: October 2, 2014 09:44

As the producer of the Zeppelin albums, what do you hear in modern rock music? Does it sound over-produced, too clinical?

With Led Zeppelin, at that time, it was real performance on those albums.We made a decision just to be really honest with what we were doing. If you did a song it wasn’t made up one word at a time and all pieced together with ProTools. And you know, that’s another way of doing things. I’m not saying that that is necessarily wrong at all, because I really like what they do with modern mixing. But for Led Zeppelin, we recorded performances, in a compact and concise way, where you heard about other bands that just went on and on and on, doing the same song all through the night and starting up the next day…

yeah honest lol. except for giving credit to the people who wrote the lyrics to most of the songs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 09:45 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: October 2, 2014 10:40

keefriffhard4life

With Led Zeppelin, at that time, it was real performance on those albums.We made a decision just to be really honest with what we were doing. If you did a song it wasn’t made up one word at a time and all pieced together with ProTools. And you know, that’s another way of doing things. I’m not saying that that is necessarily wrong at all, because I really like what they do with modern mixing. But for Led Zeppelin, we recorded performances, in a compact and concise way, where you heard about other bands that just went on and on and on, doing the same song all through the night and starting up the next day…

yeah honest lol. except for giving credit to the people who wrote the lyrics to most of the songs

Or complete rip-offs of the riffs and long guitar passages. Like with Black Mountain Side, Dazed And Confused and many more here...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 10:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 2, 2014 11:14

Naturalust
triceratops
Anyone know why the Page+Black Crows tour split up? They were supposed to do more dates but Jimmy left precipitously

Chris was a huge party animal around that time, maybe Page got tired of all the drugs being consumed on tour. peace

Or Page thought Gorman was a lightweight compared to Bonzo...?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 2, 2014 13:38

Gorman is a great drummer. And played the Zep parts excellent. It was Page's back. He threw it out and even had to cancel the Asian leg of the tour. I was going to go to Tokyo, but they cancelled. I doubt that Page cared about the partying. Chris is mostly into ganja.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 3, 2014 00:21

GasLightStreet
shadooby
andrewt
triceratops

I think he threw his back out after the Tonight Show appearance, not having been used to slinging that Les Paul on his shoulders for two hours a night.

Yup, with the Cult opening up, still got my unused tickets...sad smiley

Really!!?? THE CULT!? I guess I missed that. That would've been incredible.

I thought the Black Crowes/Page deal was supreme. Wished I could've seen it live.

Yup, the bummer of all bummers...never forget hearing the news about Page throwing his back out right after I bought the tix.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 3, 2014 03:09

shadooby
GasLightStreet
shadooby
andrewt
triceratops

I think he threw his back out after the Tonight Show appearance, not having been used to slinging that Les Paul on his shoulders for two hours a night.

Yup, with the Cult opening up, still got my unused tickets...sad smiley

Really!!?? THE CULT!? I guess I missed that. That would've been incredible.

I thought the Black Crowes/Page deal was supreme. Wished I could've seen it live.

Yup, the bummer of all bummers...never forget hearing the news about Page throwing his back out right after I bought the tix.

Saw them at Roseland. Refreshingly unique.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 04:20

Agreed. When they pulled out In the Light I was stunned. Fantastic version with full on stoner intro. Great!

Date: October 20, 2014 18:55

This might get interesting...

Led Zeppelin lose Stairway lawsuit round 1
20/10/2014 ~ by Martin Kielty

Judge rules action raised by Spirit can go ahead

>ZEP

Led Zeppelin have lost the first round of the legal battle over classic track Stairway To Heaven.

It was raised in May by Mark Andes, bassist of Spirit, who claims the opening acoustic guitar phrase was lifted from their track Taurus. He believes guitarist Jimmy Page heard it while the bands toured together in 1968, three years before Stairway was recorded. But Page has dismissed the suggestion as "ridiculous."

Andes and the family of late guitarist Randy California launched their legal action in Pennsylvania. Led Zep’s lawyers arguing that the state’s Eastern District Court had no right to judge the case, because “the defendants are British citizens residing in England, own no property in Pennsylvania, and have no contacts with Pennsylvania.”

But Judge Juan Sanchez has decided the case can go ahead after Andes’ representatives said: “Defendants make millions of dollars from the Eastern District of Pennsylvania by directly targeting this district for the exploitation of Stairway To Heaven through CD sales, digital downloading, radio and television play, advertising, marketing, concert performances, other performances, licensing, and otherwise targeting resident individuals and businesses.”

Sanchez hasn’t explained his decision, and Led Zep’s lawyers can attempt to have it reversed before the trial proceeds.

California, who died in 1997, once said of Stairway: “I'd say it was a rip-off. The guys made millions of bucks on it and never said, 'Thank you' – never said, 'Can we pay you some money?' It's a sore point with me.”

Led Zep are midway through their remaster release series, while Page has told Classic Rock he’s preparing to return to action with new music.

Date: October 20, 2014 20:43

Damn, I am just getting educated about all the plagiarism Page and Plant did in Led Zep. Some very obvious rip off's that were not properly credited!

There is no question that Zeppelin was able to make those tunes their own and I love the way they interpreted them, but to try to steal the writing credit is wrong and unforgivable.

I like the way Robert Plant dealt with getting caught, he admitted he nicked the lyrics, says it was common in the blues genre to do so and was ok about paying the original writers.

Page on the other hand seems a bit more cagey and his defense seems to be " I never heard those tunes". That's pretty sleazy when its pretty obvious that he was exposed to the tunes, toured with some of the acts and nicked some pretty good music almost note for note. Unfortunately, I've lost a bit of respect for Mr. Jimmy Page. Curious to see how this latest suit about Stairway to Heaven turns out. I am guessing he did steal the opening riff but the lyrics are certainly all Plant. peace

Date: October 20, 2014 21:13

Naturalust
Damn, I am just getting educated about all the plagiarism Page and Plant did in Led Zep. Some very obvious rip off's that were not properly credited!

There is no question that Zeppelin was able to make those tunes their own and I love the way they interpreted them, but to try to steal the writing credit is wrong and unforgivable.

I like the way Robert Plant dealt with getting caught, he admitted he nicked the lyrics, says it was common in the blues genre to do so and was ok about paying the original writers.

Page on the other hand seems a bit more cagey and his defense seems to be " I never heard those tunes". That's pretty sleazy when its pretty obvious that he was exposed to the tunes, toured with some of the acts and nicked some pretty good music almost note for note. Unfortunately, I've lost a bit of respect for Mr. Jimmy Page. Curious to see how this latest suit about Stairway to Heaven turns out. I am guessing he did steal the opening riff but the lyrics are certainly all Plant. peace

i agree. i can't stand page now because he acts like fool about everything.plant knows whats up. page seems to try and act like the victim

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 20, 2014 22:08

keefriffhard4life
Naturalust

i agree. i can't stand page now because he acts like fool about everything.plant knows whats up. page seems to try and act like the victim

I think the problem with Jimmy Page is that he hasn´t been able to distance himself from Zeppelin. He seems to be emotionally tied to that group for as long as he lives. That´s the reason he reacts like a hurt child whenever someone, like in this case, dares to question the authenticity of their songs.

Date: October 20, 2014 22:29

He seems to be emotionally tied to that group for as long as he lives

Can't really blame him for that. One only has to look at Keith during Mick's foray in solo work to see that he's not alone here. I am still emotionally attached to Led Zeppelin and I am just a fan..smoking smiley

But I would think he has matured enough to admit that he was not as original in some of his compositions as he claimed when the copyright money was being dolled out. Maybe he is having financial problems? No doubt his lifestyle has probably taken a slight hit since Zep's heyday. peace

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 22, 2014 01:23

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 22, 2014 02:49

None of which will stop me from going to New York to hang on his every word Nov. 3rd. Because basically, that's all we've got to hang on to these days.

Date: October 22, 2014 02:59

Now, Zeppelin and their music companies have requested that the case be dismissed, as the “individual defendants are British citizens residing in England, own no property in Pennsylvania and have no contacts with Pennsylvania, let alone ties sufficient to render them essentially at home here,”

I'm sure they made a few bucks off the fine folks who live in Pennsylvania though!

None of which will stop me from going to New York to hang on his every word Nov. 3rd. Because basically, that's all we've got to hang on to these days.

grinning smiley I hear ya there Aquamarine and am laughing at your comment but I'm more hanging on to the music catalog than anything Jimmy Page has to say. I have heard him talk about Zeppelin plenty of times in the past and can't really imagine how much more he's got to say that hasn't already been said. Not sure what you are expecting from this conversation with JP. Maybe he is taking questions from the audience? That might just be worthwhile. peace

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 22, 2014 03:34

Not expecting much at all, just being in the same room with him, really. grinning smiley He's taking questions, but very selectively, of course. It'll probably be the last time I'll ever see him, since his music career has stalled, so I'll take what I can get--Jimmy Page talking about what he loves. Even if I've heard it a hundred times before, I haven't actually heard it from his lips, that's my excuse!

Date: October 22, 2014 04:41

Aquamarine
so I'll take what I can get--Jimmy Page talking about what he loves. !

Please let us know how it goes and what was discussed, I must admit I am interested. Saw JP in a health food store in Santa Cruz, California a few years back and he was nice enough to have a short chat with me (mostly about health food). cool smiley. Have fun at the event. peace

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 22, 2014 04:57

The thing is, no matter what - theft of melodies, theft of riffs and theft of lyrics (from my gathering admitted to) Led Zeppelin rocked and did a fanfuckingtastic job of it. No matter what, their songs will never die.

And at this point, who cares? OK so maybe someone can make some money. Big deal.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 22, 2014 10:47

I listened to the bonus material from IV & Houses. A couple of good remixes (Levee & Stairway) but most of it not vital unless you're a completist. I'll stick to the single disc remasters when $ involved.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 22, 2014 11:03

I'm leaning towards Houses bonus, definitely the least overplayed and so different than IV and Graffiti. Really looking forward to the Graffiti release!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 22, 2014 11:16

Maindefender
I'm leaning towards Houses bonus, definitely the least overplayed and so different than IV and Graffiti. Really looking forward to the Graffiti release!

Houses is my favorite Zep album. Rain Song an all time favorite.

Date: October 22, 2014 21:40

Svartmer
keefriffhard4life
Naturalust

I think the problem with Jimmy Page is that he hasn´t been able to distance himself from Zeppelin. He seems to be emotionally tied to that group for as long as he lives. That´s the reason he reacts like a hurt child whenever someone, like in this case, dares to question the authenticity of their songs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:04

Hairball
Svartmer
keefriffhard4life
Naturalust

I quite enjoyed watching that...thanks hairball.

Date: October 23, 2014 03:09

That was very cool. Especially seeing him play the vinyl and pulling out the sleeve to read the lyrics.....brings back some good memories.

Love to see Keith/Mick Taylor do something similar while listening to LIB, SF, Exile or GHS!

Quite entertaining, thanks. peace

Posted by: paulovmaya ()
Date: October 23, 2014 14:24

Thanks for the video, hairball! Enjoyed a lot.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 23, 2014 15:02

I think that video is rather pathetic. He´s been bragging about the fantastic structure of that song in a million interviews by now. That man is really living in the past.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 23, 2014 15:49

crholmstrom
I listened to the bonus material from IV & Houses. A couple of good remixes (Levee & Stairway) but most of it not vital unless you're a completist. I'll stick to the single disc remasters when $ involved.

The alternate mixes that have been leaked online differ barely a whit from the originals. Are they all like that? I think I'd be a little disappointed if I cared enough about Led Zeppelin to buy any of these.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2014 15:51

Svartmer
I think that video is rather pathetic. He´s been bragging about the fantastic structure of that song in a million interviews by now. That man is really living in the past.

Well if I wrote and recorded that song I'd be doing the exact same thing.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1440
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home