Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 53
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 31, 2014 11:55

Yes he does, he fronts the Sensational Shape Shifters. If you want to be pedantic, he's a solo artist with a regular backing band. He's still a singer fronting a band.

keefriffhard4life
Aquamarine
Most of the frontmen you're all naming are from a later rock generation, with the exception of Daltrey, who is a good pal of RP's, so I'm sure he wasn't dissing him. And he wasn't saying who was better than who, just who was still an active frontman from that era.
tyler and rodgers are from the same era as daltrey and jagger and plant but you are right the rest of the guys wer are naming are a decade younger than these guys

That's what I said--"most of". winking smiley

Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: August 31, 2014 15:25

tkl7
Led Zeppelin? Didn't they steal their songs from other artists?

Nice point, tkl7. Not giving songwriting credit to people they supposedly admired was record company executive-worthy sleaze.

Suspect Page was behind that bit of business.

Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 31, 2014 17:14

Stoner72
tkl7
Led Zeppelin? Didn't they steal their songs from other artists?

Nice point, tkl7. Not giving songwriting credit to people they supposedly admired was record company executive-worthy sleaze.

Suspect Page was behind that bit of business.

Oh no, not that again...
[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 1, 2014 05:00

stonehearted
Robert Plant is no longer a front man. He forfeits that role by being a solo artist. He no longer fronts a band.

Hey, Jim Morrison is your back door man...he owns that.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 1, 2014 05:21

I beg to differ: Howlin' Wolf owns Back Door Man. By comparison, Morrison is drunken frat boy.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 1, 2014 05:39

Yeah, Howlin Wolf is indeed the supreme Backdoor Man! And Willie Dixon is right up there with him (the version off I am the Blues is stellar). Much better than Morrison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-02 05:22 by whitem8.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 1, 2014 16:54

I have been effectively (and correctly) b*tch-slapped.

OT: Video interview with Jimmy Page 1963
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 10, 2014 12:16

Never seen this before. Interview with posh Jimmy Page while still member of Carter Lewis and the Southerners.

Re: OT: Video interview with Jimmy Page 1963
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 10, 2014 14:55

is there a text for this ?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 10, 2014 15:01

He isn´t blowing up his cheeks???

Date: September 10, 2014 16:30

Silver Dagger
Never seen this before. Interview with posh Jimmy Page while still member of Carter Lewis and the Southerners.

Thanks! I never saw this before, either. (He says in the interview he's with Neil Christian and the Crusaders at this point, btw. smiling smiley )

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 10, 2014 19:14

Semi-OT but the Fort Worth'77 SB has just been liberated :

Led Zeppelin
May 22nd, 1977
Tarrant County Convention Center, Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Texas Hurricane Fort Worth 1977, 3cd by Empress Valley (#EVSD 737/738/739)

source: soundboard recording

lineage: silvers > EAC > FLAC (level 8 )

Disc 1:
01.The Song Remains The Same
02.Sick Again
03.Nobody's Fault But Mine
04.In My Time Of Dying
05.Since I've Been Loving You
06.No Quarter

Disc 2:
01.Ten Years Gone
02.The Battle of Evermore
03.Going To California
04.Black Country Woman
05.Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
06.White Summer / Black Mountain Side
07.Kashmir

Disc 3:
01.Out On The Tiles / Moby Dick
02.Guitar Solo
03.Achilles Last Stand
04.Stairway To Heaven
05.Whole Lotta Love
06.Rock And Roll
07.It'll Be Me (with Mick Ralphs)

uploaded by Amduscia
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-11 23:27 by dcba.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 17, 2014 17:58

Although he might have a point, can Robert Plant get any grumpier?

Plant dismisses Zep bonus tracks
17/09/2014 ~ by Eric Mackinnon

> Robert Plant

Robert Plant has dismissed the bonus material included with Led Zeppelin’s remaster series as “nothing relevant.”

Bandmate Jimmy Page spent the past few years remastering the band’s catalogue and adding companion discs to each title.
He recently told TeamRock that the unreleased demos, early versions and live tracks were “so many treats,” adding:
“People who love Led Zeppelin, who listen intently, are going to get so much out of this.”

But Plant – who just released solo album Lullaby And… The Ceaseless Roar – tells Billboard: “What you're hearing there is mostly work-in-progress stuff.
Things on their way to completion, and maybe there's some little quirk or something that led to an either/or moment. But it's nothing relevant. Not to me, at least.”

The singer has continued to distanced himself from Led Zeppelin in recent months, after a war of words erupted over the chances of a reunion.
In May he explained his desire to avoid returning to the band “circus.” The following month, after Page talked up the chances of working together again,
Plant said his former bandmate needed “a good rest.”

He added: “We have a great history together – like all brothers we have these moments where we don't speak on the same page. But that's life.”

Led Zeppelin IV and Houses Of The Holy are released next month, complete with companion discs.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Speaking of relevance (or irrelevance in this case), Robert Plant at the Hollywood Palladium Oct 7, 2014 HAS NOT SOLD OUT! eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-17 18:05 by Hairball.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: September 17, 2014 19:27

Plant is probably right, but he is also the biggest D-bag in all of rock + roll history. He is so full of himself.

I think he fears a Led Zeppelin reunion because he knows he can't pull it off anymore.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 17, 2014 20:42

I was amazed he did as good as he did at the O2 show, he was at least in the ballpark on most of the songs, and good on some stuff like For Your Life. Probably doesn't want to push his luck, especially when he presumably wouldn't have weeks to rest up for each show.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 17, 2014 21:18

i know this might be crazy to say , but i think the rehearsel for celebration day for ahmett ertagun might even be better than the offical tribute show in 2007 .check out the bonus dvd on celebration day !

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 17, 2014 22:25

Hairball

Robert Plant has dismissed the bonus material included with Led Zeppelin’s remaster series as “nothing relevant.”

He's not the only one with mixed emotions about the bonuses/boni. They're a complete shame. Page is pulling our leg and stealign our money.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 17, 2014 23:10

dcba
Hairball

He's not the only one with mixed emotions about the bonuses/boni. They're a complete shame. Page is pulling our leg and stealign our money.

Clearly an unbiased, comprehensive review is needed on the latest LZ releases.

I actually wish Jimmy Page would issue unreleased recordings of himself working on Led Zep material.

Date: September 17, 2014 23:51

James Kirk

I think he fears a Led Zeppelin reunion because he knows he can't pull it off anymore.

You're kidding, right? The only thing he can't replicate these days is the range needed for Immigrant Song, apart from that he's in great voice.

I agree that the rehearsal show for the O2 was terrific, probably because the stress level was less, but nothing could beat the atmosphere of the official show. smiling smiley (And I thought Plant did a terrific job there, too.)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 18, 2014 02:16

Plant is right. It took me 5 years from the show to realize it, but he everything he has said is correct. Put Zeppelin to rest, and he's not grumpy. He's realistic and doesn't understand why others don't get it.

And now that I see his point, I don't get why others don't either. There's nothing new on these Zep CDs. I don't care about alternate takes either. Its not Plant's fault that Page hasn't moved on from Zeppelin in 30 years. Page unnecessarily puts it on Plant to be a dick, but Page is a child. And I love Jimmy Page. But move the @#$%& on.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 18, 2014 02:29

Jimmy needs something to do where he can play live...

How about a Firm reunion...If Paul Rogers cam break away from what he's doing for a while....as for Chris Slade and Tony Franklin, I'm sure they would be chomping on the bit for something like this.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 18, 2014 02:44

BluzDude
Jimmy needs something to do where he can play live...

How about a Firm reunion...If Paul Rogers cam break away from what he's doing for a while....as for Chris Slade and Tony Franklin, I'm sure they would be chomping on the bit for something like this.

Yeah I agree Paul Rogers is a fantastic vocalist who still has all his chops. But like you implied, he is a busy boy. Love to see a Firm reunion or at least see Jimmy Page move on to some new material. I think him and John Paul Jones could put together some wonderful stuff without Mr. Plant. The JPJ stuff I've seen on you tube is just fantastic. peace

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:01

RollingFreak
Plant is right. It took me 5 years from the show to realize it, but he everything he has said is correct. Put Zeppelin to rest, and he's not grumpy. He's realistic and doesn't understand why others don't get it.

And now that I see his point, I don't get why others don't either. There's nothing new on these Zep CDs. I don't care about alternate takes either. Its not Plant's fault that Page hasn't moved on from Zeppelin in 30 years. Page unnecessarily puts it on Plant to be a dick, but Page is a child. And I love Jimmy Page. But move the @#$%& on.

You could say the same about Keith, who seems to need the Stones even more than the fans do. And it isn't like Stones releases of the last few years have had anything new to offer either. For the past couple of years they are simply celebrating the history of their catalog with a series of occasional concerts. Which is what bands like Led Zeppelin should do, while there is still time and while they are still able to do so, because it won't be long before this is no longer possible.

The really funny thing about Robert Plant is that he pretends that it's his solo stuff that people really want to hear, while turning his back on the song catalog that made him famous--as if anyone today would even know his name were it not for those albums he recorded with Page years ago.

Despite occasional high points, Plant's solo career has been pedestrian at best. No matter what he does for the remainder of his days, he will only be known to future music listeners as the singer from Led Zeppelin. He is too old to be playing these games of "I'm moving on" and so forth. He should just acknowledge why the general public even knows his name, stop treating the most successful period of his career like an albatross around his neck, and just have a few more "celebration days" before the sun finally sets. Because he'll never surpass the legacy that he and Page created anyway.

As for Page, well you can't fault him for knowing where his bread is buttered, nor for understanding with whom he shines brightest--that's why he's not back with the Yardbirds or pushing for a Neil Christian and the Crusaders reunion tour.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:59

I am not a fan of Plants initial solo career, but all his stuff since Raising Sands has been phenomenal. Hit new one is fantastic! Some great writing and playing. Mighty Rearranger and Band of Joy and Dreamland are both amazing later day releases showing the true depth of his talent, not needing Zeppelin to release some very interesting and rewarding material.

Date: September 18, 2014 04:15

stonehearted

He is too old to be playing these games of "I'm moving on" and so forth.

Exactly when are you supposed to announce to the world that you're putting yourself out to pasture and have no intention of exploring anything new or interesting to you, but will henceforth pledge yourself to be bound only by other people's opinions of what is interesting or valid or worthwhile? Because if I know the appropriate day in advance, then I can be sure to kill myself the day before. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 09:38 by Aquamarine.

Date: September 18, 2014 06:03

All I'm saying is that if John Bonham had had one less mouthful of whatever it was he was drinking that night in 1980, there likely wouldn't have been a Robert Plant solo career at all, certainly not before 1990 and likely not before 2000 either.

As a solo artist (not including collaborative albums with Page and Krauss), his last U.S. gold record was over 20 years ago--and the same goes for the UK and Canada. His three principal markets just don't buy him as a solo artist and haven't in decades.

I'm sure he doesn't need an accountant to remind him that even in 2014 he earns more in royalties from Led Zeppelin than he ever will from all his solo and collaborative albums combined.

He doesn't want to be reminded of his past, yet no doubt he has no problem with banking on it.

Date: September 18, 2014 06:11

stonehearted
All I'm saying is that if John Bonham had had one less mouthful of whatever it was he was drinking that night in 1980, there likely wouldn't have been a Robert Plant solo career at all, certainly not before 1990 and likely not before 2000 either.

As a solo artist (not including collaborative albums with Page and Krauss), his last U.S. gold record was over 20 years ago--and the same goes for the UK and Canada. His three principal markets just don't buy him as a solo artist and haven't in decades.

I'm sure he doesn't need an accountant to remind him that even in 2014 he earns more in royalties from Led Zeppelin than he ever will from all his solo and collaborative albums combined.

He doesn't want to be reminded of his past, yet no doubt he has no problem with banking on it.

so who cares how long ago his last gold album was. he was a gold-platinum selling artist with his projects until the late 90's. and then had one again when he teamed with krauss. you can actually say rejoining page in the 90's is what derailed his solo career

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 18, 2014 06:20

Plant has made a body of interesting, varied work since Zeppelin ended in 1980. He could easily get back on the Zeppelin treadmill, but he follows his own path instead. More successful recording artists should have the nerve to be so brave.

I saw great show of him with the Sensational Shape Shifters last summer at Wolf Trap. Sure, he plays a bunch of Zeppelin songs, but he puts a different spin on each one.

Date: September 18, 2014 06:49

keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

so who cares how long ago his last gold album was. he was a gold-platinum selling artist with his projects until the late 90's. and then had one again when he teamed with krauss. you can actually say rejoining page in the 90's is what derailed his solo career

That's what I indicated in my post, that his more successful work post-1993 came in collaboration with other major artists, not as a solo artist. His bland, lackluster debut, Pictures At Eleven, in 1982 only went platinum because the public was hungry for any new Zeppelin-related material, and it did sound kind of like a follow-up to In Through The Outdoor.

Rejoining Page in the nineties derailed his solo career? Really? You can actually say that? As if his solo career will have some kind of lasting legacy?

Or, you can actually say that joining Page to begin with in the late sixties derailed his vitally important, inevitable solo career. Who needs Led Zeppelin anyway? It's kid's stuff. Let's just leave it behind and never listen to it again. We'd rather pay to see singers from great groups rather than the groups that made them great to begin with.

Speaking of leaving the old jukebox behind, let's only listen to and post about SuperHeavy from now on. Because it's more interesting and varied.

And hey, some of us championing in this thread solo careers from great groups in this thread have also been posting in that Kinks thread speculating on a reunion. Who needs it? Ray and Dave are both great solo, so let's just leave it behind.

In fact, let's just leave all rock groups behind. To hell with groups. Behind every great lead singer of every great rock group is a gloriously interesting and varied solo career just waiting to happen.

Yes, let's be honest. We don't want the greatness arising from the sum being more than the parts. Greatness is boring. We want to just settle for the parts.

And who cares about more boring Rolling Stones concerts, when we have SuperHeavy II to look forward to?

If it weren't for these Stones tours, we'd have more solo material from individual members. You can actually say that their rejoining with each other every few years has derailed their solo careers, and has done so for decades.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: September 18, 2014 06:58

The biggest reason there has never been a real Zeppelin reunion tour, is because there is no way Plant could sustain those Zeppelin vocals over the duration of a major tour. He just doesn't have the voice for it anymore. That's also why the one off O2 show worked so well.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1666
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home