Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 53
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 30, 2014 06:37

that might be the case, but the cowardly lion would never dare to kick the microphone stand like Plant during "Ramble On" i recommend the DVD. last year i bought the US print of this Rolling Stone, because i recall at that time i found it simply awesome to see this band on the magazine stands again. i had already digested the No Quarter project and was pretty stunned by the sudden change in the colour of Page's hair!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 30, 2014 07:04

McCartney got some new reissues with bonus tracks coming out later this year, and one is Speed of Sound with the song "Beware My Love listed as "John Bonham version." How many John Bonham's can there be?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 30, 2014 07:30

<<How many John Bonham's can there be?>>

Just one--and he was apparently a big Macca fan. He played on two tracks on the final Wings album Back To The Egg and also appeared as part of the ensemble cast for Paul's 1978 Rockestra project.

This unreleased version of Beware My Love was apparently the first of several tracks they recorded together.

Story on Beware My Led at: [www.billboard.com]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 30, 2014 07:58

stonehearted

Just one--and he was apparently a big Macca fan. He played on two tracks on the final Wings album Back To The Egg and also appeared as part of the ensemble cast for Paul's 1978 Rockestra project.

This unreleased version of Beware My Love was apparently the first of several tracks they recorded together.

Story on Beware My Led at: [www.billboard.com]

True on that. John Paul Jones was there, too.
Strange, I don't recal Macca ever mentioning Bonham at all regarding any recordings on Speed of Sound, unless I missed it somewhere down the line.

Date: July 30, 2014 08:33

Yes, strange. You'd figure it would have been bootlegged. On another forum there was this YouTube clip of Wings on tour which was said to show a clip of John Bonham backstage with Paul--this would be from 1976. However, posters there couldn't agree on whether it was really Bonham, so I won't post it here. Some swear it was, and others aren't sure. Maybe I'll have a look for myself, and if I think for sure that it's Bonham, then I'll post it here.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 30, 2014 09:39

Macca has mentioned in interviews that JJP and JB loved to see the Wings live during their 76 tour and did attend several shows. So this link with Beware My Love and JB makes a lot of sense and is very cool! Bonham really dug Joe English (Wings drummer).

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 30, 2014 10:45

stonehearted

Just one--and he was apparently a big Macca fan.

Holy crap! confused smiley That's low! Imagine our Charlie saying he loves Slade and wanting to play with them confused smiley

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 30, 2014 11:09

dcba
Hairball
Led Zeppelin announce second wave of reissues

The tracklisting is:

Led Zeppelin IV

Companion Audio Disc
“Black Dog” – Basic Track With Guitar Overdubs
“Rock And Roll” – Alternate Mix
“The Battle Of Evermore” – Mandolin/Guitar Mix From Headley Grange
“Stairway To Heaven” – Sunset Sound Mix
“Misty Mountain Hop” – Alternate Mix
“Four Sticks” – Alternate Mix
“Going To California” – Mandolin/Guitar Mix
“When The Levee Breaks” – Alternate UK Mix

Houses Of The Holy

Companion Audio Disc
“The Song Remains The Same” – Guitar Overdub Reference Mix
“The Rain Song” – Mix Minus Piano
“Over The Hills And Far Away” – Guitar Mix Backing Track
“The Crunge” – Rough Mix - Keys Up
"Dancing Days” – Rough Mix With Vocal
“No Quarter” – Rough Mix With JPJ Keyboard Overdubs - No Vocal
“The Ocean” – Working Mix

This is really really disappointing. I was expecting a lot more of studio stuff ( who gives a sh!t about alt mixes I wanted "take #1"stuff) and a disc or two of live material.

The LZ omen continues : the bootleg releases still are a lot more interesting than the official ones. confused smiley

The real novelty for these reissues is the high resolution mix available on various HD online retailers. Obviously Page doesn't want to compromise the original albums quality with sub-par outtakes.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 30, 2014 12:09

kowalski
[

The real novelty for these reissues is the high resolution mix available on various HD online retailers. Obviously Page doesn't want to compromise the original albums quality with sub-par outtakes.

You're right, Page's got a nice small business here. Every 5 years he comes up with new remastered best-ever version of the well-known music and he expects us to buy it... again and again.No màs Zimmy! grinning smiley

I pity the LZ fan : to them Zep's a musical version of "Groundhog Day". It's always the same thing. eye rolling smiley
Like I said before at least Jagger gave us expanded re-releases of classic Stones albums plus 6 new shows thumbs up

Date: July 30, 2014 12:34

Yes Page really has been milking the cash cow. But JPJ and Plant haven't vetoed it.
I will say though the super deluxe box sets are stunning. The vinyl sounds amazing, great books, and very artistically put together. As a collector, they are worth it.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 30, 2014 12:39

whitem8
Yes Page really has been milking the cash cow. But JPJ and Plant haven't vetoed it.
I will say though the super deluxe box sets are stunning. The vinyl sounds amazing, great books, and very artistically put together. As a collector, they are worth it.

Yes, I think it's more about the sound than the "bonus tracks". The new remasters are sounding definitely better thn the 90's remasters.

Date: July 30, 2014 13:37

Yes, for sure kowalski! And the 24 bit download is superb.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 20, 2014 04:07

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 20, 2014 12:01

Rip This
[www.youtube.com]

RP is asked "Beatles or Stones?"
RP: "Ehhh, Stones!" smileys with beer

Robert Plant: 'There's only me, Mick Jagger and Rod Stewart left'
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 31, 2014 02:51

From the Telegraph...
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

The ex-Led Zeppelin star talks to Neil McCormick about the demise of great frontmen, what still drives him, and the chance of his old band ever reuniting

Robert Plant stands in the bright sunshine, eyes scanning a sunlit pedestrian square in Birmingham, while people pass on by, oblivious to the presence of one of rock and roll’s great frontmen. “I’ve been around so long I can be easily ignored,” he notes, with twinkly amusement. “Even people who know who I am think I’m dead.”

Plant doesn’t even look that different from the glory days of Led Zeppelin. The ringlets cascading around his weathered face are tinged with grey, and a cavalier goatee beard sprouts from his chin, but his whole bearing retains something proud and fearless. “There are only three or four frontmen left, from our time, who actually just kick the mic stand up and do it, and that’s me, Rod Stewart and Mick Jagger,” he says, thoughtfully rather than with arrogance. “But the only important thing is, can you contemporise your gift? Can I knock myself out, or am I just going through the motions? Because if I’m going through the motions, I’m f***ed.”

With eloquence, humour and considerable pride, Plant has been eulogising his current seven-piece ensemble The Sensational Space Shifters, and their fantastically inventive and emotive new album, Lullaby … And The Ceaseless Roar. “It’s paradise to be on the middle of the stage between those guys” he says, lauding the diverse strengths of a band who synthesise many strands of Plant’s maverick career, forging connections between pastoral English and Celtic folk, roots Americana, African blues and heavy rock.

“Is there anything new under the sun, or are all things just borne from the previous million ideas? What we’ve done is consolidate our strengths, they’ve gone into the cauldron, spun around and come out with absolute ease. I guess the only thing missing are the words hocus pocus.”

Plant chooses words carefully, with a playful sense of the possibilities of language, weaving around subjects with a quality of private delight. He talks of trying to conjure “amazing curves and twists”, exults in the music’s “loop and sample and crunch,” and celebrates the “passion, endeavour, humour and kinship” of a band he describes as “a kind of commonwealth”. His absolute pleasure in the music that he is making, and the people he is making it with, is apparent. “I want this. The brotherhood is magnificent.”

At 65, Plant seems as engaged by music as ever. “I am a senior citizen,” he dryly notes. “I can get a discount for my season ticket at the Molineux (home to his beloved Wolverhampton Wanderers), and they send it without so much as a 'how do you do’. So I’ve got a lot to think about as to where I’ve come from, and where I’m going.”

He has certainly kept busy. Following hugely successful adventures exploring roots Americana on 2007’s award winning Raising Sand (with Alison Krauss) and 2010’s Band Of Joy, Plant returned to the UK in 2012 to link up with guitarist Justin Adams and members of the Strange Sensation band who played on Plant’s acclaimed solo albums, Dreamland (2002) and Mighty ReArranger (2005).

With the addition of Gambian master musician Juldeh Camara and jazz drummer Dave Smith, the renamed Space Shifters have been touring the world for 18 months whilst recording their album.

These songs may be the most personal of Plant’s career. He has had a rather tangled love life, and recently broke up with singer Patty Griffin who he lived with in Austin, Texas, to return to his native Midlands, and the album addresses notions of home and family, the tensions between love and art, embracing the concept of the musical life as a vocation.

“I made my life ambitious and big and crazy, and basically now I am the helmsman of this mad affair, and I need to take stock. I write these songs, and I live and die in the middle of them, but I can’t really tell you the truth about me, cause I don’t know what it is. It’s a f***ing great journey but it doesn’t all smell of roses.”

There is something of the itinerant hippy about Plant and he describes his travelling ensemble as “like Dad’s Army on acid.” When I ask if there is anything about the life of a touring musician that he doesn’t enjoy, he laughs: “I don’t like catering. There is nothing worse than the scent of overly steamed broccoli.” But he adds “It’s not so bad, really. I used to lay tarmac. And I was training to be an accountant. I did some dumb jobs, so I think I’ll stick with this.”

Of course, he could be flying in private jets, playing the biggest stadiums in the world for eye-watering fees with his former band mates. Following their one-night-only charity concert in 2007, a lot of people have been hankering for a Led Zeppelin reunion, not least guitarist Jimmy Page, who recently described himself as “fed up” with Plant.

“Robert would rather play Led Zeppelin with his own band, not with his old band members,” Page grumbled to me in May. The Sensational Space Shifters do, indeed, incorporate Zeppelin songs into their set, often in fantastically wayward form. I’m not sure what Page would make of their rambunctious hoedown version of Rock And Roll, featuring a solo on a single string African fiddle.

Plant discusses Zeppelin with ease and generosity. His love of the band and affection for his former musical partner is never in doubt. “I had no history to speak of, really, before I met Jimmy. I hadn’t stepped into my physical personality. In Zeppelin, I learned how to apply myself, how to express myself as a writer, how to shut up and listen. So I grew, I got some of my chops.” His solo music of the past 15 years, has set him on a different path, however, and it is hard to envisage him going back now.

He says that eclectic, inventive, world-music-influenced guitarist Justin Adams “saved my life, musically. His contribution, as a positive force in my time, has been second to none.” And it is notable that a crucial part of Adams’s appeal to Plant is that “he doesn’t think the guitar begins and ends with Clapton, Beck and Page.” Discussing the way Zeppelin are enshrined as part of the classic rock cannon, Plant forcefully points out that “it had nothing to do with that, though. We weren’t looking for some sort of amazing perfection, we were just doing something marvellous and offering it up. We had a kind of collective that inherently worked, as I have now with my buddies.”

Plant is very wary of being drawn into a war of words with Page. “He should get on and do something, he’s a superb talent. That’s the sad thing for Jimmy, he knows that I’m his guy, I’m his pal, but the warmth that he needs to actually enjoy the world, it’s all there. Come on and give it to us.”

He draws comparison with the way Eric Clapton left supergroup Blind Faith in 1969 to tour as sideman with blues duo Delaney And Bonnie, or how George Harrison brought Bob Dylan and Roy Orbison together in The Travelling Wilburys. “Why do it the way you always did it? Why think like that? You never think it could possibly work. And yet, you can take off all your trappings of 30 years of playing and step into this other world. You **** them out of the way and have a good time.”

Re: Robert Plant: 'There's only me, Mick Jagger and Rod Stewart left'
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 31, 2014 03:18

I guess Roger Daltrey slipped his mindgrinning smiley

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 31, 2014 03:40

BluzDude
I guess Roger Daltrey slipped his mindgrinning smiley

That's the singer who immediately came to my mind too! thumbs up

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 31, 2014 03:55

Plant sounds like Axl Rose thinking he's just as good without Slash behind him.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 31, 2014 04:18

plant is not on the same planet as JAGGER IMO

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 31, 2014 04:59

Jagger is the best rock front man ever..only my opinion.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 31, 2014 05:49

He said "three or four frontmen left..." and then named three.

Doesn't appear to me that anything slipped his mind.

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: August 31, 2014 06:02

Paul Rodgers?

Date: August 31, 2014 06:28

david lee roth?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 31, 2014 07:27

How did Rod Stewart get brought into the discussion with these giants? I guess its that 70s rock guys, but I think Rod Stewart should be replaced with McCartney and you got a deal.

He's not wrong.

Date: August 31, 2014 07:57

RollingFreak
How did Rod Stewart get brought into the discussion with these giants? I guess its that 70s rock guys, but I think Rod Stewart should be replaced with McCartney and you got a deal.

He's not wrong.

since when is what paul does being a great frontman? standing and playing the bass or sitting and playing a piano does not make you a great frontman. usual it involves lot of energy, moving around the stage, having signature stage moves, etc. putting down the hoffner and picking it back up is not a sugnature stage move

Posted by: chop ()
Date: August 31, 2014 09:41

Steven Tyler?

Date: August 31, 2014 09:52

chop
Steven Tyler?

yeah they are still several good frontman around not named robert plant, who btw isn't that exciting anymore:
DLR
tyler
jagger
rodgers
stewart
dee snider
chris robinson
springsteen
prince
steve whiteman
sebastian bach

even some of these slightly washed up frontmen more entertaining then plant is now:
axl rose
vince neil
bret michaels

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 31, 2014 11:07

Most of the frontmen you're all naming are from a later rock generation, with the exception of Daltrey, who is a good pal of RP's, so I'm sure he wasn't dissing him. And he wasn't saying who was better than who, just who was still an active frontman from that era.

Date: August 31, 2014 11:21

Aquamarine
Most of the frontmen you're all naming are from a later rock generation, with the exception of Daltrey, who is a good pal of RP's, so I'm sure he wasn't dissing him. And he wasn't saying who was better than who, just who was still an active frontman from that era.
tyler and rodgers are from the same era as daltrey and jagger and plant but you are right the rest of the guys wer are naming are a decade younger than these guys

Date: August 31, 2014 11:24

Robert Plant is no longer a front man. He forfeits that role by being a solo artist. He no longer fronts a band.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home