Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track Talk: Little Queenie
Posted by: René ()
Date: July 9, 2012 11:05

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Little Queenie
(Chuck Berry)

Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, US, November 28, 1969
(first show) and Olympic Sound Studios & Trident Studios, London, UK,
January - February 1970

Mick Jagger - lead vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Mick Taylor - electric guitar
Ian Stewart - piano

I got the lumps in my throat when I saw her coming down the aisle
I gets the wiggles in my knees when she looked at me and sweetly smiled
There she is again standing over by the record machine
She's looking like a model on the cover of a magazine
Why she's too cute to be a minute over seventeen

Meanwhile, I was thinking
She's in the mood, no need to break it
I got the chance, I oughtta take it
She can dance, we can make it
Come on Queenie, let it shake

Go, go, go, Little Queenie

Won't ya tell me who the queen's standing over by the record machine
Why she's looking like a model on the cover of a magazine
Yeah, she's too cute to be a minute over seventeen, take off your shoes

Meanwhile, I was still thinkin'
If it's a slow song, we'll omit it
If it's a rocker, that'll get it
If it's good, she'll admit it
Come on Queenie, let’s get with it

Produced by The Rolling Stones & Glyn Johns

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out” LP
(Decca SKL 5065) UK, September 4, 1970

Re: Track Talk: Little Queenie
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 9, 2012 11:06

The rhythm guitar by Taylor is overdubbed by Richards.

Mathijs

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 9, 2012 11:12

ÒHOJ!!! My No 1-Rolling Stones Live-track. That overdubbing excersize could be the reason it's so incredible good...Keith really rocks here...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 9, 2012 12:02

The Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out version of this song is probably THE defining moment where Keith
puts Chuck Berry in the shadow. I like the "dangerous" start of the song, and then the
majestic guitar work. Chuck supposedly said that Keith always played his music wrong.
Well, I don't mind that, if it leads to this.

BTW, one of the few video's not to focus on Mick only. But where's the guitar player?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: July 9, 2012 12:32

Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes we know.

It's never been my favorite track on "gyyyo", too slow for that rocker. I prefer the orginal Stones cover.

Date: July 9, 2012 12:35

VT22
Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes we know.

Rene didn't, and a lot of people don't know this is it has been discovered on this board and not talked about a lot.

Funn thing though...when we all thought it was Taylor you claimed it was a fantastic showcase of the Stones in their best years, and that Taylor was a superb rhythm player. Now it has turned out the rhthm guitar was overdubbed by Richards you don't like the track anymore....

Mathijs

Posted by: René ()
Date: July 9, 2012 12:47

Mathijs

Mathijs

Isn't there some Taylor guitar kept in the mix (the break for example)?

René

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 9, 2012 12:55

Drew

Date: July 9, 2012 13:08

Mathijs
VT22
Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes we know.

Rene didn't, and a lot of people don't know this is it has been discovered on this board and not talked about a lot.

Funn thing though...when we all thought it was Taylor you claimed it was a fantastic showcase of the Stones in their best years, and that Taylor was a superb rhythm player. Now it has turned out the rhthm guitar was overdubbed by Richards you don't like the track anymore....

Mathijs

Ah, a man with a mission. I'm sorry Rene.

It's never been my favorite track: when I play gyyyo, I mostly skip it.
But you're right as far as Taylor's rhythm guitar is concerned: It's very effective.. Actually I'm glad he plays rhythm in quavers, it gives a "faster feel" to the song. I think we can still hear that in the background.

But then it's still too slow. I agree that Keith's rhythm guitar (and overdubs) are as solid as a Rock. I never denied that.

What a job using my phone. I'm a 1000 lightyears from home. cool smiley

Date: July 9, 2012 13:20

VT22
Mathijs
VT22
Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes we know.

Mathijs

But you're right as far as Taylor's rhythm guitar is concerned: It's very effective.. Actually I'm glad he plays rhythm in quavers, it gives a "faster feel" to the song. I think we can still hear that in the background.

But then it's still too slow. I agree that Keith's rhythm guitar (and overdubs) are as solid as a Rock. I never denied that.

Maybe I should rephrase it: Taylor's original guitar part, as can be heard on the GS movie outtake, is wiped completely (except for 2 seconds in the turn around), and replaced in its entirity by Richards.

Mathijs

Date: July 9, 2012 13:27

Mathijs
VT22
Mathijs
VT22
Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes we know.

Mathijs

Maybe I should rephrase it: Taylor's original guitar part, as can be heard on the GS movie outtake, is wiped completely (except for 2 seconds in the turn around), and replaced in its entirity by Richards.

Mathijs

Yes, the GS movie outtake.
Damn Richards, I'll have a word with him winking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 9, 2012 14:08

The Stones going back on the road in 69 and playing tunes like Little Queenie and Carol had a huge effect in ushering in a rock'n'roll revival. Lots of musicians previously into psychedelia like John Lennon, Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton and Marc Bolan took off their rose-tinted specs and suddenly remembered what got them into pop music in the first place.

Little Queenie is a prime example of this and had loads of kids in colleges and common rooms across America and the UK suddenly practising their Chuck Berry riffs.

I'd even say that punk had its roots in that Stones US tour of 69. Loads of influential bands like the New York Dolls, Stooges, MC5 and Flamin' Groovies would have gone to those shows and copped the vibe and some licks.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: July 9, 2012 15:49

Mathijs

Mathijs

nothing wrong with it in the first place (same with jaggers vocals , could have had MR LIV AND LQ as originals ) seems to be no reason for the overdubs . thank god for the movie and its songs

marcovandereijk
The Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out version of this song is probably THE defining moment where Keith
puts Chuck Berry in the shadow. I like the "dangerous" start of the song, and then the
majestic guitar work. Chuck supposedly said that Keith always played his music wrong.
Well, I don't mind that, if it leads to this.

yes the scary intro is remarkable , thats how i came accross the overdub when i realised charlie woudn't get it wrong twice and realised it was the same recording

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 9, 2012 16:04

One of my favorites from GYYYO! It just explodes with attitude and swagger. Keif nails it, and plays some of his tightest leads on that are perfect. Wonderful celebration of rock and roll on Little Queenie!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 9, 2012 16:12

This is Rs, and mainly KR, at the peak. The best Chuck Berrian song ever played by the Stones.
The atmosphere is unique

Perfect!!

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: July 9, 2012 16:13

Love the Leeds 1971 version too
It just drips with bump-and-grind sleaziness!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 9, 2012 16:39

the ya-ya's queenie is about as good as rocknroll gets...i couldn't care less who overdubbed what on whom.

however...at least at the time, i thought the version they were doing on the b-stage in the 90's was even better. but, upon further inspection and with the wisdom that hindsight offers, i was wrong. the slower speed in '69 is what made this rocker sizzle like few other berry covers....

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 9, 2012 19:18

This is the music Keith was born to play. The tempo in '69 was proper, assured and more importantly, sexy. There is an all too brief glimpse of Keith playing this song on that short 11/8, 2nd video from the Forum. To watch Keith in '69 was marvelous. He and his guitar were one. The music came from his fingers, wrists, elbows and knees. And it all rang true. I have said before, when Keith's on and in the studio, he doesn't need to "weave" with anyone.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 9, 2012 19:42

StonesTod
the ya-ya's queenie is about as good as rocknroll gets...i couldn't care less who overdubbed what on whom.

Amen to that

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 9, 2012 20:30

Silver Dagger
The Stones going back on the road in 69 and playing tunes like Little Queenie and Carol had a huge effect in ushering in a rock'n'roll revival. Lots of musicians previously into psychedelia like John Lennon, Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton and Marc Bolan took off their rose-tinted specs and suddenly remembered what got them into pop music in the first place.

Little Queenie is a prime example of this and had loads of kids in colleges and common rooms across America and the UK suddenly practising their Chuck Berry riffs.

I'd even say that punk had its roots in that Stones US tour of 69. Loads of influential bands like the New York Dolls, Stooges, MC5 and Flamin' Groovies would have gone to those shows and copped the vibe and some licks.

Good points Dagger. The rig Keith had for the 69 tour through those Ampegs yeilded a wonderful sound that really sizzled on the Berry numbers. I created a compilation of Carol and Queenie from the 69 shows and I never tire of listening to those songs. Keith changed his solos up quite a bit on that tour.That Ampeg sound they had was superb. The Stones just find the right groove that few other bands could ever match when they played Chuck Berry songs. When I saw them play in Chicago I was blown away by how good the bottom sound the Stones got on the 69 tour. Any yes, Bill and Taylor were a huge part of that groove with the Berry songs.

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: July 9, 2012 20:54

Do we know for sure from which show the Little Queenie from gyyyo is taken?

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: July 9, 2012 22:15

Please let us not forget Enrique Berry-Carol/Little Queenie

[savoirfaire-hoorayforhollywood.blogspot.com]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 10, 2012 00:23

There are lot of Chuck Berrian style guitar licks and solos played by KR on the GYYYO album. Perfectly executed, perfect timing, excellent groove, .....carol, little quennie, SFTD, LWM......
Without any doubt the best KR's moments of his technical skills in guitar playing. I have never heard him playing again with that precision

Date: July 10, 2012 00:35

I am curious about how Keith had his guitars miked during the 1969 tour. I assumed he was running his guitars through a Fender Twin and then through the Ampegs. Any input to this? The reason I ask is because the sound IMHO from 1969 was so good with the guitars. They just got this live SOUND that was so unique, and a solid reason why I have been coming back for more ever since.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 10, 2012 02:03

One ampeg amp or one fender amp with back ups sitting beside em.

Date: July 10, 2012 10:59

filstan
I am curious about how Keith had his guitars miked during the 1969 tour. I assumed he was running his guitars through a Fender Twin and then through the Ampegs. Any input to this? The reason I ask is because the sound IMHO from 1969 was so good with the guitars. They just got this live SOUND that was so unique, and a solid reason why I have been coming back for more ever since.

For MSG he played straight through one Ampeg SVT, with one Sure SM-57 in front of the lower left speaker. That's it. A reason the '69 and '70 tour sound different to anything else was that the Ampeg SVT used where prototypes, using 6146B power tubes. These tubes where unstable, and couldn't handle the high voltages well. They did sound fantastic though -smooth, creamy, fat. These tubes where replaced with 6550 tubes for the 72 tour, which gave a cleaner sound, and the distortion sounded more contemporary rock than the warm sound of the 6146B tube.

Mathijs

Date: July 10, 2012 13:58

Thanks for the answers about the amps and mikes. Always interesting to know how input/output changes the affect on the sound.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 10, 2012 14:27

Mathijs
filstan

For MSG he played straight through one Ampeg SVT, with one Sure SM-57 in front of the lower left speaker. That's it. A reason the '69 and '70 tour sound different to anything else was that the Ampeg SVT used where prototypes, using 6146B power tubes. These tubes where unstable, and couldn't handle the high voltages well. They did sound fantastic though -smooth, creamy, fat. These tubes where replaced with 6550 tubes for the 72 tour, which gave a cleaner sound, and the distortion sounded more contemporary rock than the warm sound of the 6146B tube.

Mathijs

The best guitar sounds often eminate from amplifiers that are about to blow up !

And the guitar sounds on YaYas are for the me just about as good as it gets.
Smooth creamy distortion...but with edge and clarity...the most elusive combination of qualities in a guitar sound.

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: July 10, 2012 15:23

From which show is extracted the GYYYO Littel Queenie?
Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home