Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Worst Stones song?
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 25, 2012 23:01

Redhotcarpet
MileHigh

If You Can't Rock Me symbolizes the beginning of the creative weakness with lack of any redeeming melodic touches in rock and roll songs. The song sucks.

Excuse me?

angry smileyeye popping smiley

Well, imo he's quite right. The Stones always had great openers.
But Dance with Mr. D from GHS and If you can't rock me from the following IORR were low points and nowhere as strong as their predecessors even if someone likes them a lot.
Thank god they came back on some later releases with better stuff again. .

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: June 25, 2012 23:07

TheBlockbuster
Why all this hate on Back To Zero ? In my opinion is the second best track on Dirty Work after One Hit To The Body.

you are decidedly in the tiny minority sir.

Date: June 25, 2012 23:13

StonesTod
TheBlockbuster
Why all this hate on Bask To Zero ?

cos we're a hateful bunch of ingrates who come here only to bash the stones in the hopes that it will somehow improve our lot in this dreadful life.

yes, something like that. hmmmm....i would say that is an accurate statement. and i still say the newly released outtakes from exile and some girls were completely ruined by the overdubs,vocals,etc ----sorry, had to bash a little, being an ingrate and all...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 25, 2012 23:24

lunar!!!
StonesTod
TheBlockbuster

cos we're a hateful bunch of ingrates who come here only to bash the stones in the hopes that it will somehow improve our lot in this dreadful life.

yes, something like that. hmmmm....i would say that is an accurate statement. and i still say the newly released outtakes from exile and some girls were completely ruined by the overdubs,vocals,etc ----sorry, had to bash a little, being an ingrate and all...

true stones fans don't stop at bashing a little...they let it all out. now, go back and think about what you said...work up a little more ungratefulness and come back when you are ready to be as hateful and spiteful as you're capable...dig down deep, dude...

Date: June 25, 2012 23:37

StonesTod
lunar!!!
StonesTod
TheBlockbuster

true stones fans don't stop at bashing a little...they let it all out. now, go back and think about what you said...work up a little more ungratefulness and come back when you are ready to be as hateful and spiteful as you're capable...dig down deep, dude...

i'm digging...stand by.....

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 25, 2012 23:49

lunar!!!
TheBlockbuster
Why all this hate on Back To Zero ? In my opinion is the second best track on Dirty Work after One Hit To The Body.

you are decidedly in the tiny minority sir.

Count me in with the few and the proud. BTZ has got the rock AND the roll, very cool doomsday lyrics, and it swings like a mother-@#$%&.

Drew

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 26, 2012 00:43

DiscoVolante
For releasing 92 singles and 29 studio albums, the Stones have always had an incredible high quality in their output. But of course there are some low-water marks. So what is the worse thing they ever put on a record? I know a lot of you are gonna say Indian Girl or Continental Drift, or maybe something from Dirty Work. But I'm gonna go with: Gomper from TSMR, just horrible in every way.

(Dancing in The Streets doesn't count)

I dont know who these people are. I know some people dont like it, but I've never read it mentioned as a contender for worst Stones song.

Probably their BEST post-1981 song for me, in fact.

Date: June 26, 2012 00:53

let me take this oppo to put in a random vote for continental drift

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 26, 2012 01:00

Do we have a winner then? Is it SOL or BTZ? Or maybe another tune?

Date: June 26, 2012 01:06

StonesTod
let me take this oppo to put in a random vote for continental drift

You're about to get a 'random' kick up the arse......

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 26, 2012 05:24

Wanna hold you
Can't been seen

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 26, 2012 05:47

Gazza
DiscoVolante
For releasing 92 singles and 29 studio albums, the Stones have always had an incredible high quality in their output. But of course there are some low-water marks. So what is the worse thing they ever put on a record? I know a lot of you are gonna say Indian Girl or Continental Drift, or maybe something from Dirty Work. But I'm gonna go with: Gomper from TSMR, just horrible in every way.

I dont know who these people are. I know some people dont like it, but I've never read it mentioned as a contender for worst Stones song.

yes, if not best, a contender certainly.

Date: June 26, 2012 14:23

treaclefingers
Gazza
DiscoVolante

when will the final, official result be posted?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 26, 2012 14:30

Now: The worst song is: Back to Zero

Date: June 26, 2012 14:32

Hold Back makes Back to Zero sound like Jumpin' Jack Flash by comparison.

Date: June 26, 2012 14:35

what does streets of love make out of tears sound like?

Date: June 26, 2012 14:59

StonesTod

Wild Horses.

Date: June 26, 2012 14:59

StonesTod

Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: June 26, 2012 20:05

Rockman
....one mans trash .... awww what's the use ...

Yep, one mans poisen is ......WHAT is the usedrinking smiley

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: June 26, 2012 22:24

Chris Fountain
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Chris Fountain
Redhotcarpet
Rocky Dijon
In their entire released body of work there is no greater offense than "Too Much Blood."

Hey hold it! I love it. Part of the "real Stones era". The worst song has to be from 1989-2012. My choice: Rock and a hard place. FOllowed by Highwire.

Lots of folks in this forum do not like Rock and a Hard Place. I like the song and understand why others don't. But you have to admit this song is played with conviction. the lyric "Fields of freedom are filled with trash" hits home with me.

It's partially the way Jagger grunt-screams the words. The bridge is fantastic, the rest of it blows.

It shouldn't be included in a concert setlist - but shouldn't be labeled a "bad song" either. That's all I'm saying.

Well, I'm certainly glad you enjoy it.

My head spins at the glossy production and the unbelievable lack of swing or soul or groove. And the lyrics seemed to me to be a new low for 1989--a depressing look at a "grown-up" Jagger doing a preachy and one-dimensional take a "serious" (and trendy) subject. ("Highwire," "Blinded By Rainbows," and "Sweet Neo Con" proved those fears warranted.)

I feel like all the people who have trouble accepting "Undercover of the Night" (which Jack White and I think is cool and interesting) should be forced to listen to "Rock and a Hard Place" to get a frame of reference on successful vs. unsuccessful "experimental, socially-conscious Stones."

Also: Pretty sure the line is: "The fields of Eden are full of trash/And if we beg, borrow..."

"I Go Wild" is probably worse, though...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 26, 2012 22:31

Don't know about the worst Stones song, but this is easily the worst Jagger - Richards song!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-26 22:36 by Deltics.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 26, 2012 22:34

Rev. Robert W.
Chris Fountain
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Chris Fountain
Redhotcarpet
Rocky Dijon
In their entire released body of work there is no greater offense than "Too Much Blood."

Hey hold it! I love it. Part of the "real Stones era". The worst song has to be from 1989-2012. My choice: Rock and a hard place. FOllowed by Highwire.

Lots of folks in this forum do not like Rock and a Hard Place. I like the song and understand why others don't. But you have to admit this song is played with conviction. the lyric "Fields of freedom are filled with trash" hits home with me.

It's partially the way Jagger grunt-screams the words. The bridge is fantastic, the rest of it blows.

It shouldn't be included in a concert setlist - but shouldn't be labeled a "bad song" either. That's all I'm saying.

Well, I'm certainly glad you enjoy it.

My head spins at the glossy production and the unbelievable lack of swing or soul or groove. And the lyrics seemed to me to be a new low for 1989--a depressing look at a "grown-up" Jagger doing a preachy and one-dimensional take a "serious" (and trendy) subject. ("Highwire," "Blinded By Rainbows," and "Sweet Neo Con" proved those fears warranted.)

I feel like all the people who have trouble accepting "Undercover of the Night" (which Jack White and I think is cool and interesting) should be forced to listen to "Rock and a Hard Place" to get a frame of reference on successful vs. unsuccessful "experimental, socially-conscious Stones."

Also: Pretty sure the line is: "The fields of Eden are full of trash/And if we beg, borrow..."

"I Go Wild" is probably worse, though...

thumbs up

But I go wild, a horrible song, is still meant as a joke, tongue in cheek, and it swings some. Rock and a hard place is meant to be a hit and Jagger tries hard to be serious. With the clothes, the hair and the guitar and the serious poses one has to say Rock and a hard place is the worst. Neo con is a joke but it wasnt meant to be.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 26, 2012 22:56

Gomper was mentioned first. My 12-year-old daughter had to give a report on child labour at school. As she had found out that India has the highest child labour rate in the World she wanted to add some Indian music to it. Her search dissatisfied her, so I immediately grabbed into my shelf and offered Gomper... The class liked the song and was curious where that music came from!

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: June 26, 2012 23:36

I'd have to say, I'm the guy that wrote a 4 page, highly empassioned and much discussed single spaced defense of that album and even I have to say that Back To Zero just sucks...nothing personal

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 27, 2012 01:30

StonesTod
treaclefingers
Gazza
DiscoVolante

when will the final, official result be posted?

kentucky derby day

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 27, 2012 01:47

The jury has spoken. The result will be presented as a single called "The worst Stones Songs Ever": A-side) intro - Continental Drift followed by an extended version of Back to Zero. B-side) Streets of Love and Gomper. The decision is unanimous. Complaints will not be accepted.

Date: June 27, 2012 15:56

Stoneage
Do we have a winner then? Is it SOL or BTZ? Or maybe another tune?

It's always SOL. No matter what anyone thinks, SOL wins out usually every time.

Date: June 27, 2012 15:59

MrMonte
I'd have to say, I'm the guy that wrote a 4 page, highly empassioned and much discussed single spaced defense of that album and even I have to say that Back To Zero just sucks...nothing personal

I'm sure Back To Zero won't take it personally since it's a song...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 27, 2012 16:14

JJHMick
Gomper was mentioned first. My 12-year-old daughter had to give a report on child labour at school. As she had found out that India has the highest child labour rate in the World she wanted to add some Indian music to it. Her search dissatisfied her, so I immediately grabbed into my shelf and offered Gomper... The class liked the song and was curious where that music came from!

thumbs up

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 27, 2012 16:36

Dance Little Sister is a just candidate. Maybe THE candidate, to round off this whole thread. However, the good thing `bout "worsts" is that they might be "bests" for people who don`t like The Stones in the first place.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home