Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Steve Jordan in Dirty Work
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: June 15, 2012 23:12

I always heard that Steve Jordan played some drums in the Dirty Work sessions, the same as Woody.
Did he actually made it to the final album? On which tracks?

No credits in Dirty Work....

Re: Steve Jordan in Dirty Work
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 16, 2012 00:34

Some of DW is unmistakeble CW Some of it .... not so sure. I believe Charlie was in a poor state at the time.

sc uk

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 16, 2012 01:09

varilla
I always heard that Steve Jordan played some drums in the Dirty Work sessions, the same as Woody.
Did he actually made it to the final album? On which tracks?

No credits in Dirty Work....

Curiously the notes in the album don't list on which tracks he plays on and it's impossible to find out. Anton Fig plays on it as well. That's Jimmy Page, though, playing guitar on One Hit (To The Body). Tom Waits is on Sleep Tonight (returning the favor to Keith, who appeared on TW's 1985 Rain Dogs album). Wherever the drums sound like the Dave Letterman show, I guess that's how you can tell which tracks Jordan/Fig play on.

www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Steve_Jordan.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-16 01:19 by stonesnow.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: June 16, 2012 10:27

Fight: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr, bass, bvoc)/CW (dr)/Chuck
Leavell (org)/Ivan Neville, Steve Jordan & Charley Drayton (bvoc)

Zentgraf

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 16, 2012 13:14

Tom Waits sings b/vocs on Harlem Shuffle I think, you can clearly hear him on the outtakes, he's mixed lower on the LP. Ronnie sax on Had It With You. Charlie doen't play drums on Too Rude I think, he's notorious for not being able to play reggae.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 16, 2012 15:22

I always have thought of Charlie as being the least-extreme, most sensible member of the band. Glad whatever put him in a bad place lasted only one record!

Date: June 16, 2012 16:11

The GR
Tom Waits sings b/vocs on Harlem Shuffle I think, you can clearly hear him on the outtakes, he's mixed lower on the LP. Ronnie sax on Had It With You. Charlie doen't play drums on Too Rude I think, he's notorious for not being able to play reggae.
I always thought that was Covay; doesn't sound like Waits at all IMO.

The drumming that does not sound too much like Charlie is "Hold Back" and "Back to Zero".

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 16, 2012 16:22

Didn't Ron Wood play drums on Sleep Tonight?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 16, 2012 17:08

Who played bass on "Had It With You"? Oh, wait, nevermind.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 16, 2012 17:47

buffalo7478
I always have thought of Charlie as being the least-extreme, most sensible member of the band. Glad whatever put him in a bad place lasted only one record!

Undercover as well. This may have been the real reason they didn't tour during those years. If he couldn't make it for a whole studio album, he couldn't make it through a whole tour. No Charlie, no tour. They never would have brought Steve Jordan in on tour. His addiction was the result of a mid-age crisis. The result of Bill Wyman's mid-age crisis was marrying Mandy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-16 17:48 by stonesnow.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: June 16, 2012 18:22

Keith has stated CW played on Hold Back. It's easy to tell it's CW. His drumming was so strong that they built a song around it erasing Bill's Bass and letting Ivan Neville play it. As for CW. TR, BTZ and Sleep are the only tracks that CW does not play on. Sleep is the one confirmed. Ron Wood play on that one. I am sure Anton Fig is in the mix somewhere. What is surprising is that Simon Kirke worked with the Stones when CW was recovering from a cut on his hand that kept him from playing. He is not even mention on the albums credits. Yet,he played drums at the Ian Stewart Memorial concert at the 100 Club till CW reached it due to being stuck in Traffic

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 16, 2012 20:54

stonesnow
buffalo7478

Undercover as well. This may have been the real reason they didn't tour during those years. If he couldn't make it for a whole studio album, he couldn't make it through a whole tour. No Charlie, no tour. They never would have brought Steve Jordan in on tour. His addiction was the result of a mid-age crisis. The result of Bill Wyman's mid-age crisis was marrying Mandy.
It was the reason for not touring - Mick rejected the tour because of CW heroin problems. Maybe it was a perfect excuse / moment for Mick, so he could work on his solo project - but CWs bad state was really bad and real problem for touring.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: June 16, 2012 22:59

Palace Revolution 2000

The drumming that does not sound too much like Charlie is "Hold Back" and "Back to Zero".

Charlie Watts IS the drummer on Back To Zero. The song was recorded in Paris on june 12/13, 1985, with members of Xalam playing percussions (no credits on the album cover).

[www.xalam2dakar.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-16 23:00 by LiveAtHidepark.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 16, 2012 23:11

straycatuk
Some of DW is unmistakeble CW Some of it

Yeah like the DW take of "One Hit". I cannot imagine Watts hitting the skins that hard...

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: June 18, 2012 16:30

Great general confussion about DW!!! No one really seems to know who is playing what in every song. I thought the drummer in Too Rude was Woody.
This is the most misterious and chaotic Stones album indeed.

I am sure the reason for NOT touring was CW´S state. Mick was used to go on tour with Keith and Woddy being a mess, but not with Charlie. He just couldn´t do it.
I remember a quote from Mick saying that the band could not even cross the Champs Elysees, imagine them touring the world.....

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: June 18, 2012 17:40

LiveAtHidepark
Palace Revolution 2000

Charlie Watts IS the drummer on Back To Zero. The song was recorded in Paris on june 12/13, 1985, with members of Xalam playing percussions (no credits on the album cover).

[www.xalam2dakar.com]
I think I saw somewhere in the past, you had a hairy banana!smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home