Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Brian Jones death - Janet Lawson's story
Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: June 14, 2012 21:40

At this point, much more interesting to me is to solidify the parts Brian played.

This case is frustrating but no more frustrating than other cold cases. Its seems
pretty clear there this was an intentionally bungled case, since the cops had a
"Jones" for The Stones anyway. Probably an unsaid understanding throughout the
law enforcement community then was, "One less Rolling Stone is a very good thing."
Of course, I could very well be mischaracterizing the police there.

Thorogood probably rough housed too much, Jones took in too much water, panic
ensued, accidental death. There you go. People are dead now. It's over.

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: June 14, 2012 22:25

I think there are more important things to focus on. Brian died. Tired of people insinuating that Mick and/or Keith were behind it in some way.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: June 14, 2012 22:26

Marie
The weirdness was afterwards. Keylock burned all Brian's clothes, etc. Brian's house was ranshacked.
The bon-fire is very weird. Some say Keylock acted on orders from 1. Les Perrin 2. Brian's dad and 3. The Stones. Other stuff where loaded in trucks and that fits since Brian's parents got some of the stuff from Cotchford including Brian's mellotron. I've heard stories about things getting stolen as well.

Bliss
I have not read Anna Wohlin's book - she was hustled out of the country and warned not to speak to anyone.
She lived with Bill Wyman and his wife for a time after the murder. I wonder if Bill knew that she would be hustled out of the country?

Anna is often described as Jones's girlfriend but she has also been described as a one night stand who didn't leave by one of Brian's friends. It's something to keep in mind when reading her love story.

TheDailyBuzzherd
At this point, much more interesting to me is to solidify the parts Brian played.
Same here. But I'm a sucker for mysteries. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-14 22:29 by tonterapi.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 14, 2012 22:41

Claire_M
Bliss
I have not read Anna Wohlin's book - she was hustled out of the country and warned not to speak to anyone.

Why so much cloak & dagger stuff around this sad event? Like in the Daily Mail article above, Janet said she was so frightened "they" would get her, she went into hiding on a flippin' RAF base! Geez. Frank Thorogood was just a lone, inept contractor/handy man, not the Cosa Nostra or the C.I.A.

Some believe Frank didn't act alone and, certainly when any situation where corrupt police are involved, ones which wouldn't mind one less drug taking Rolling Stone around, it becomes far from one lone enept contractor, especially during a cover up. And look at Tom Keylock in those pictures above with Janet. He looks like someone's worst nightmare to me, scary dude, scary body language. Just sayin... peace

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: June 14, 2012 22:46

I'm sure someone within the Jones family knew to act quickly to get as much
personal property out of there before fans descended on the "shrine".

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 14, 2012 23:10

Claire_M
Bliss

Why so much cloak & dagger stuff around this sad event? Like in the Daily Mail article above, Janet said she was so frightened "they" would get her, she went into hiding on a flippin' RAF base! Geez. Frank Thorogood was just a lone, inept contractor/handy man, not the Cosa Nostra or the C.I.A.

We're talking about a bunch of young twenty-somethings, all wired up, probably without a good sense of reality, and extremely paranoid from the drugs and what happened to Brian.

I could easily imagine how scared they might be.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 15, 2012 00:18

The cockroaches dispersed when the light was switched on, just as they did when Jimi died.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 15, 2012 01:38

I doubt that Mick or Keith or the Stones organization worried about rights to the name because they could simply pay Brian for the rights; Brian, being " unemployed" would probably not have fussed about it. Rumor has it that Brian was in the process of putting another band together. Who knows if any of the rumors are true.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:20

The questions remain, why would the RS org pay Anna Wohlin £100,000 (worth between £1,250,000 to £3,100,000 in today's terms) to keep quiet? And if they didn't, why haven't they had her prosecuted for libel?

A lot has been written about the RS aristocratic connections, but relatively little about their very real association with the criminal underworld in the 60s. Tom Keylock, their right-hand man, was the gateway to this. He introduced Frank Thorogood to them.

Date: June 15, 2012 11:51

mickschix
I doubt that Mick or Keith or the Stones organization worried about rights to the name because they could simply pay Brian for the rights; Brian, being " unemployed" would probably not have fussed about it. Rumor has it that Brian was in the process of putting another band together. Who knows if any of the rumors are true.
I think it's safe to say that Brian was in the process of putting another band together. But we don't know much about how far he was in that process. Some say that "they" had recorded a single ready to be released and others say that he simply talked to people asking them to come down to Cotchford and play.

About the name...although he was "unemployed" I'm not so sure that he would have given up the rights to the name easy. The Stones was Brian's baby even though he had lost interest. He could be a bastard if he wanted to so if the name alone was a way for Brian to get back at Mick and Keith by being difficult I'm pretty sure that he would do that. There's a loose rumour about a fight between Keith and Brian over the rights for the name. But who knows what went on there. I would love to hear Charlie reveal what was said there. Keith's macho BS "Youre out @#$%&!" is simply not believable. Mick was the diplomat so I'm pretty sure that the discussion was between him and Brian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-15 11:52 by tonterapi.

Date: June 15, 2012 13:09

This is the first I've heard of Brian owning the rights to the band's name. Are we just assuming this?

Seems like Klein would be involved somehow in this, since he was still involved with the Stones until '70.
Funny how Klein is never mentioned in this. All speculation on my part, though.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: June 15, 2012 14:49

Why fire someone...and then party with them? Surely this would be a recipe for disaster,especially if alcohol is involved.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 15, 2012 15:07

I didn't think the question of ownership of band names was a hot issue in the 1960s - until I read about Ronnie's first group the Birds threatening to sue the US Byrds in 1965. However, this was definitely a publicity stunt and not done with any serious intention of going to court.

People who left bands in the 60s usually gave their new outfit a new name (Cream, Blind Faith, Bad Company, Wings...) but for goodness sake, how big a problem would it have been if Brian had called his new band the Rolling Stones and the rest of them had to settle for some new name? Hardly a big enough motive for murder.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 15, 2012 15:26

mickschix

He would never have started a new band, that was just something he said to Jagger to look more independent and strong. The truth is he did not survive more than two weeks after being fired from the band that once was his baby. Sacked by Mick and the guy who now was having a baby with Anita Pallenberg. He did not want to be sacked, it must have been a nightmare but right then he might have felt a relief cause he didnt need to make excuses for not turning up to the studio where Mick and Keith ran things like a duo and where Keith and a pregnant Anita soon would be congratulated. No way Brian Jones would stand that kind of torture and therefore he had no choice but to be sacked and then try to live. Good luck with that. Thats why the suicide theory is not farfetched at all but at the same time Frank Thorogood could very well have killed Brian in a rage.

And Im sure Brian tried to fight for the rights to the name before and after being sacked. Fight means he knew he could not win but at least try to hold on to whats left of his band.

Date: June 15, 2012 16:07

Green Lady
I didn't think the question of ownership of band names was a hot issue in the 1960s - until I read about Ronnie's first group the Birds threatening to sue the US Byrds in 1965. However, this was definitely a publicity stunt and not done with any serious intention of going to court.

People who left bands in the 60s usually gave their new outfit a new name (Cream, Blind Faith, Bad Company, Wings...) but for goodness sake, how big a problem would it have been if Brian had called his new band the Rolling Stones and the rest of them had to settle for some new name? Hardly a big enough motive for murder.

I think the name had real importance, in terms of building on what they had already achieved. Remember that Brian was carried for years after he had ceased to be productive, because they were afraid to make any changes that the fans might not accept. It was only when his continued membership would have completely derailed their progress, ie, prevented them from touring, that he was finally replaced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-15 16:11 by Bliss.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: June 15, 2012 17:58

klrkcr
Why fire someone...and then party with them? Surely this would be a recipe for disaster,especially if alcohol is involved.

Exactly, that didn't make any sense. The woman says that Thorogood was in a terrible state (understandably) about being fired, but then he and Brian have dinner and go swimming together? Weird.

Posted by: fingalcrom ()
Date: June 15, 2012 18:15

For me the whole crux of the matter revolves around who was actually there on the night. What is really frustrating is that, after all these years, the people involved, who are still alive, are incapable of telling the truth.
I can understand at the time, those there might have been frightened because of the implications of drugs being in use and on the premises, but now? Surely someone has a conscience and will tell the truth? I just wish that people would stop making money by writing utter fiction about Brian's death. Anna Wohlin's book is just laughable. xxx

Date: June 15, 2012 18:27

Bliss
Green Lady

I think the name had real importance, in terms of building on what they had already achieved. Remember that Brian was carried for years after he had ceased to be productive, because they were afraid to make any changes that the fans might not accept. It was only when his continued membership would have completely derailed their progress, ie, prevented them from touring, that he was finally replaced.

Within the year following Brians death Mick writes Brown Sugar, they record it, they promote Let it bleed/they tour, soon they have their own logo and label, (Micks tongue) and a production team called the Glimmer Twins and the 60s almost Brian-personality girlfriend Marianne is out of the picture.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 15, 2012 18:39

Claire_M
klrkcr

Exactly, that didn't make any sense. The woman says that Thorogood was in a terrible state (understandably) about being fired, but then he and Brian have dinner and go swimming together? Weird.

What we don't know is how much of her story is drawn from first-hand knowledge and how much she has picked up from other sources and recycled. I don't think we will get the full picture of events at Cotchford Farm unless any remaining witnesses can be persuaded to provide official statements.

Date: June 15, 2012 19:45

If anyone wants to see 'Stoned', here is a link to stream it online. Choose the Putlocker link; it's good.

[www.1channel.ch]

Date: June 15, 2012 21:44

Bliss
Choose the Putlocker link; it's good.

The link or the movie is good ?

Date: June 15, 2012 23:27

The Putlocker links are always good. The film was not well-received but I think every RS fan will get some value from seeing it, just to help visualise the settings of the events in question.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: June 15, 2012 23:53

Claire_M
klrkcr

Why wasnt Thorogood told to get off the property when he was fired? Why was he still hanging around into the evening? Doesn't make sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-15 23:53 by klrkcr.

Date: June 16, 2012 01:25

Redhotcarpet
He would never have started a new band, that was just something he said to Jagger to look more independent and strong. The truth is he did not survive more than two weeks after being fired from the band that once was his baby. Sacked by Mick and the guy who now was having a baby with Anita Pallenberg. He did not want to be sacked, it must have been a nightmare but right then he might have felt a relief cause he didnt need to make excuses for not turning up to the studio where Mick and Keith ran things like a duo and where Keith and a pregnant Anita soon would be congratulated. No way Brian Jones would stand that kind of torture and therefore he had no choice but to be sacked and then try to live. Good luck with that. Thats why the suicide theory is not farfetched at all but at the same time Frank Thorogood could very well have killed Brian in a rage.

And Im sure Brian tried to fight for the rights to the name before and after being sacked. Fight means he knew he could not win but at least try to hold on to whats left of his band.
Jagger wasn't the only one who heard that. There are plenty of people who confirm that Brian was active (in one way or another) and tried to get a new band together.
Although suicide can't be ruled out totally. I find your reasons weird because they don't mix with what those who met or lived with Brian during that time has to say.

Bliss
Remember that Brian was carried for years after he had ceased to be productive, because they were afraid to make any changes that the fans might not accept.
Brian ceased to be productive in mid 68 when the shit hit the fan with the second bust. The albums are proof enough for that and they never carried him for years. That's the usual negative campaigning from the glimmers. According to Brian himself he wanted to leave in 67 but was talked out of it by Mick. Heck, Mick even said in 67 that Brian was the best musician in the band. If he had ceased to be productive by then and they just carried him then why bother to give him that credit at all?
They had major issues on a personal and professional level. But Brian stayed loyal on the musical level although he didn't always share the vision they (Oldham, Jagger, Richards) had for the band. In 68 there were issues on all levels that couldn't be solved.

Bliss
The film was not well-received but I think every RS fan will get some value from seeing it, just to help visualise the settings of the events in question.
Woolley wanted to film some nude babes and Rawlings wanted to see his "sex, drugs and rock n roll"-vision of Brian on the big screen. It leaves out a lot and portrays a Brian I don't recognize from any of all the books, quotes and articles I've read. A horrible person that noone can like. Good scenography though.

Date: June 16, 2012 02:21

tonterapi
Redhotcarpet

Jagger wasn't the only one who heard that. There are plenty of people who confirm that Brian was active (in one way or another) and tried to get a new band together.
Although suicide can't be ruled out totally. I find your reasons weird because they don't mix with what those who met or lived with Brian during that time has to say.

Bliss
Remember that Brian was carried for years after he had ceased to be productive, because they were afraid to make any changes that the fans might not accept.
Brian ceased to be productive in mid 68 when the shit hit the fan with the second bust. The albums are proof enough for that and they never carried him for years. That's the usual negative campaigning from the glimmers. According to Brian himself he wanted to leave in 67 but was talked out of it by Mick. Heck, Mick even said in 67 that Brian was the best musician in the band. If he had ceased to be productive by then and they just carried him then why bother to give him that credit at all?
They had major issues on a personal and professional level. But Brian stayed loyal on the musical level although he didn't always share the vision they (Oldham, Jagger, Richards) had for the band. In 68 there were issues on all levels that couldn't be solved.

Bliss
The film was not well-received but I think every RS fan will get some value from seeing it, just to help visualise the settings of the events in question.
Woolley wanted to film some nude babes and Rawlings wanted to see his "sex, drugs and rock n roll"-vision of Brian on the big screen. It leaves out a lot and portrays a Brian I don't recognize from any of all the books, quotes and articles I've read. A horrible person that noone can like. Good scenography though.

Brian didnt make any pragmatic choices from 1967 other than take something to numb out life and now and then he made choices to try to find a place in the band. If you read between the lines you get the real picture imo. Korner and Watts both say he had nothing left when he was sacked. Brian himself said the same thing. Brians father says the obvious thing: once he lost Anita it was over more or less. Sure the busts made him real paranoid for good reasons but the real damage was Anita and the total loss of any kind of power in the band. Noone seems to really believe he would form any band after the Stones. Korner said Brian died at the "right time" when he still could try to believe there was a future. Korner didnt want to start a band with Brian because of the state he was in. The man cried when he was sacked. Suicide is no farfetched theory its the most obvious answer. Keith thought he drowned himself but yes, that Frank T. might have "done him in".

My conclusion when I read what people who were there said is that Brian had one thing left and that was being a Rolling Stone no matter how hard that was.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: June 16, 2012 02:24

tonterapi
Redhotcarpet

Bliss

Bliss

thumbs up

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 16, 2012 02:28

he was murdered end of story,like no one has ever gotten away with murder before right?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 16, 2012 02:29

Brian had become an albatross around the bands' neck with all of his drug convictions...they wouldn't be able to tour with Brian in the band! End of story...he had to be fred. Watching Goddards' film " One Plus One-Sympathy For The Devil" can be boring but it's also very telling...Brian slumped in a corner of the studio, unable to move, let alone play...He was a liability by then, useless to them.

Date: June 16, 2012 02:34

mickschix
Brian had become an albatross around the bands' neck with all of his drug convictions...they wouldn't be able to tour with Brian in the band! End of story...he had to be fred. Watching Goddards' film " One Plus One-Sympathy For The Devil" can be boring but it's also very telling...Brian slumped in a corner of the studio, unable to move, let alone play...He was a liability by then, useless to them.

You really believe it's that simple?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 16, 2012 02:51

Brian got the same Darwinian logic applied to him that was applied to Stu, and attempted on Bill. Stu wasn't good looking enough, goodbye. Bill wasn't quite right, so, me, Brian, I'll just try and learn the bass and we'll be rid of 'Ernie'.

Flash forward to 1969, Brian can't perform up to snuff. Looks like hell. Can't get his shit together. Bye. Nevermind the personal animosities built up since 1962 between Brian and every member of the band, this was plain and simple. Brian Jones couldn't cut it anymore.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home