Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
1978 Let it Rock
Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: June 11, 2012 07:56

The Stones at their pinnacle......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-11 08:44 by bv.

Re: 1978 Let it Rock smileys with beer
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:13

This is awsome and man watch and listen to the last one again. Not bad, not bad at all.

Re: 1978 Let it Rock smileys with beer
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:17

Definitive. Perfect song, perfect line up, perfect time.

Re: 1978 Let it Rock
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:59

I never get tired of their '78 version of this. I could listen to it for hours.
BTW, does Charlie play a 4-on-the-floor for this? At times in the Texas video it looks like he is.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 11, 2012 09:30

As good as it is, it doesn't hold a candle to the Leeds version on the B-side of Brown Sugar, particularly the guitars, the intro, and Stu's boogie-woogie piano.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-11 09:34 by 71Tele.

Date: June 11, 2012 09:43

71Tele
As good as it is, it doesn't hold a candle to the Leeds version on the B-side of Brown Sugar, particularly the guitars, the intro, and Stu's boogie-woogie piano.

Seriously?

I like the Leeds version, but I can't stand Keith's guitar sound. That goes for the Marquee-show as well.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 11, 2012 11:56

To my ears, the Leeds 1971 version wipes the floor with any other version. First, Keef takes all the leads in '71. Second, I much prefer the '71 Ampeg tone to the '78 Mesa/Boogie tone. Third, the rhythm section is tighter in '71. Fourth, Jagger sounds like a coked up self-parody in '78.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 11, 2012 12:02

Never really noticed Keith's playing on the 79 benefit version. His solo from 2:19 defines rock n roll IMHO . GO KEEF thumbs up

SC UK

Date: June 11, 2012 13:37

ab
To my ears, the Leeds 1971 version wipes the floor with any other version. First, Keef takes all the leads in '71. Second, I much prefer the '71 Ampeg tone to the '78 Mesa/Boogie tone. Third, the rhythm section is tighter in '71. Fourth, Jagger sounds like a coked up self-parody in '78.

Well, it might be the only tour he used a totally clean sound. IMO, it makes it more difficult for him to do hos licks. But each to their own...

BTW, Didn't he use Fender at the Marquee?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-11 13:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 11, 2012 15:18

ab

From a musical point of view Charlie and Bill where much more tight in '78 than in '71, especially Charlie had become a much more solid drummer than in the early 70's. About the Ampegs: in '71 they where really clean, probably due to the sizes of the venues. And for the smaller veneues they even switched to Fender amps. The '78 sound is half Boogie, half Ampeg: the pre-amp of the Boogie is used, and the power amp of the Ampeg is used.

Mathijs

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 11, 2012 16:08

71 sounds better than 78 version

Date: June 11, 2012 16:09

71Tele

I probably agree with you, but it is apples and oranges. The 78 version has alot of pump and rawness. Alot to be said for each.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 11, 2012 16:37

Give me 89 through 99 anyday.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 11, 2012 16:55

Agree, both 71 and 78 r good

Date: June 11, 2012 18:24

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Seriously?

I like the Leeds version, but I can't stand Keith's guitar sound. That goes for the Marquee-show as well.

Yes seriously. Mick actually sings the words to the song in this version too. the '78 version is pretty slapdash.

Date: June 11, 2012 20:25

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Seriously?

Yes seriously. Mick actually sings the words to the song in this version too. the '78 version is pretty slapdash.

Remember, as I'm sure you do, that 78 was a very punky time. Those guys were capable of playing "clean" guitar if they had chosen to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-11 20:27 by Carnaby.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 11, 2012 20:49

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Seriously?

Seriously indeed. I love the grand raunch Keith gets on this track is awesome and when he kicks into over drive after the second solo floors me everytime I hear it. Rock and roll guitar as God meant it to be!

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: June 11, 2012 21:12

Folks, please listen again to the "Let It Rock" version from the SECOND ( = Oct.6th, 1970 ) show in Frankfurt, Keith is on fire and leaves everybody behind ( litarally! )

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 11, 2012 21:55

Live at Leeds has a soft spot in my heart.. First bootleg I ever heard. HOWEVER, 78 rocks the house down.

Taylor is boring. Leeds version just sounds sterile in comparison, regardless of how great it is from a technical standpoint. All 3 of those examples from 78 just plain kickass.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: June 11, 2012 22:29

Rank Stranger
Folks, please listen again to the "Let It Rock" version from the SECOND ( = Oct.6th, 1970 ) show in Frankfurt, Keith is on fire and leaves everybody behind ( litarally! )

Agreed.

The 1971 versions compared to the '78 versions:

1: Taylor has a warmer guitar sound and plays a more solid rhythm guitar than Ron, who sounds like a faltering razor apparatus: One of the misconceptions about punks is that all punks are skinheads, so Ron's sound suits him.

2: Some '78 versions are played too fast and sloppy, which undermines the rock feel between Bill and Charlie and vice versa. Jagger lacks a bit of melody in the first clip.

The rest of the band almost equalizes, although Keith should have cranked up his amp a little in the M.C -'71. In '78 they probably had more fun due to cocaine abuse.

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: June 11, 2012 22:33

71Tele

IMO ....the coked-out energy that the Stones had on the 78 tour was the perfect edge for covering Chuck...never better

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 11, 2012 23:00

Always funny this version where Mick lost track of the song starting from 0.51 till 0.59 and sings at 0.60 where right on track............

song starts at 0.45
[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 11, 2012 23:05

ultimaterocker
71Tele

IMO ....the coked-out energy that the Stones had on the 78 tour was the perfect edge for covering Chuck...never better

That's nuts. The groove they had at Leeds and in '69 has never been matched on their Berry live covers. '78 is fun, but it is thrashy and sloppy. Nothing matches Richards and Taylor locking in on a Berry groove with Ian Stewart playing that upper-octave piano along with them and Bill and Charlie laying it down like a freight train.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 11, 2012 23:31

ultimaterocker
The Stones at their pinnacle......

Their pinnacle? Really?

Hey, I like "Let It Rock" as much as the next guy, but I'd hardly rate it that high.

Personally, I think it a lot of the acclaim it gets from Stones fans is because it's so obscure. Yes, you win the trivia question of where it's from, congratulations.

But as far as a Berry composition (and Stones cover), I'd rank "Bye, Bye, Johnnie" or "Around and Around" or "Carol" far above "Let It Rock."

I mean it's good--but to call it "the pinnacle" is really an overstatement.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 11, 2012 23:34

brothers and sisters...we all love the stones....there's no use in debating the relative merits of 2 minutes of music...had they put in a 30 second coda or something, then debate might be worthy.

Date: June 11, 2012 23:44

'''The Stones at their pinnacle......'''

- - - i mean the 78 version is ok, but like the version taken from the 1971 Leeds show and the B side to Brown sugar (I think) a million times better. keith's guitar work is nastier, and Jagger didn't flub the lyrics. and its got Stu's boogy woogie. very cool version of this track as well, on Bob Seger's 'Smokin OP's' record.

Date: June 12, 2012 00:30

Sorry to revive the Taylor/Wood thing, but the comparison between these two versions puts to lie to the Woodites' contention that Taylor was all about soloing. Keith plays ALL the solos on the Leeds version, and the two guitars chug along together on this like nobody's business, driving the song FAR better than in '78 in my opinion, the same way they do on the two Berry covers on Ya Yas. In 1978 they used the songs as a sort of warm up. It's fine, but has none of the drive, groove, and majesty of the Leeds version. Every single element is better on the earlier version.

Date: June 12, 2012 00:32

StonesTod
brothers and sisters...we all love the stones....there's no use in debating the relative merits of 2 minutes of music...had they put in a 30 second coda or something, then debate might be worthy.

Hey, you were gone for a while. Why not sit there at the kids' table for a bit and catch up before joining in the dinner conversation? smoking smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 12, 2012 00:38

71Tele
StonesTod

Hey, you were gone for a while. Why not sit there at the kids' table for a bit and catch up before joining in the dinner conversation? smoking smiley

what are the grownups having tonite? we got spaghetti-o's!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 12, 2012 00:52

71Tele
Sorry to revive the Taylor/Wood thing, but the comparison between these two versions puts to lie to the Woodites' contention that Taylor was all about soloing. Keith plays ALL the solos on the Leeds version, and the two guitars chug along together on this like nobody's business, driving the song FAR better than in '78 in my opinion, the same way they do on the two Berry covers on Ya Yas. In 1978 they used the songs as a sort of warm up. It's fine, but has none of the drive, groove, and majesty of the Leeds version. Every single element is better on the earlier version.

Disagree -I prefer about everything of the '78 version over the '71 version except for Richards second solo on the Leeds version. But in '78 drums and bass where better, it rocked harder and the groove was much better. Sure '71 was good time R&R, but it really misses the filth I like so much in the Stones.

And to note: Taylor's rhythm guitar on LQ from Ya-Ya's was overdubbed by Richards.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home