Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What's Mick Jagger's vocal range?
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 8, 2012 19:13

Does anyone know Mick's vocal range?

Incidentally, what brought it to my mind was an article in today's WSJ about the upcoming movie ROCK OF AGES, that quoted Tom Cruise's vocal coach. "'He did what would normally take two years to do in 4 1/2 months,' says Mr. Anderson, noting that he more than doubled his range, to more than four octaves. (The average person has a two octave range; Axl Rose's has been closer to five.)"

And if anyone knows the vocal ranges of John & Paul and Jim Morrison, I'd love to know theirs, too.

Re: What's Mick Jagger's vocal range?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 8, 2012 22:18

Flat, like this: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ -- ~~~~~~~ -- ~~~~~~~~~~~ -- ~~~~~~~~

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 8, 2012 23:01

Lennon: Lennonesque

McCartney: McCartneyesque

Morrison: Morrisonesque

Jagger: Jaggeresque

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 8, 2012 23:16

I held off responding to this because I thought someone with knowledge might take a crack -- but not yet it seems. I think it is an interesting query, inasmuch as "rock" singing seems to fall outside the traditional parameters of vocal range designation or description. I mean how would you describe Bob Dylan -- a "gravel half tenor?" Morrison had a classic baritone voice -- a relative rarity in rock music prior to the grunge era -- now they're all baritones as far as I can tell. I would say many lead vocalists of the rock era would be generally termed tenors a la a Roger Daltrey or Robert Plant. McCartney I suppose is one as well. Jagger and Lennon I wouldn't know how to describe other than as classic rock vocalists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-08 23:18 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 9, 2012 00:38

I say it was somewhere between a rock, and a hard place.

Date: June 9, 2012 05:38

So powerful he can be heard around the world!

Date: June 9, 2012 09:55

I meant: how many octaves can Mick sing? (I thought that was clear.) And what's his high note and what's his low note? Excluding his falsetto, of course.

(It's funny that "Why-did-Mick-touch-his-own-shoulder-on-SNL?" will get considered responses here...but few seem to care about Mick's actual singing.)

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 9, 2012 12:39

Technically Mick isn't the best singer but he's the best singer for the stones. I'd say his range is fairly limited because you never hear him screaming high notes. I don't know his range but excluding falsetto I doubt its 4 octaves.

Date: June 9, 2012 12:48

Title5Take1
I meant: how many octaves can Mick sing? (I thought that was clear.) And what's his high note and what's his low note? Excluding his falsetto, of course.

(It's funny that "Why-did-Mick-touch-his-own-shoulder-on-SNL?" will get considered responses here...but few seem to care about Mick's actual singing.)

Reason there are so few takers is because no one really knows. People who care about Jagger don't know these things; people who know these things don't give a hoot about Mick Jagger.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 9, 2012 14:38

It's probably the case that only he and probably a few other people know, the reason being we've never heard him try to sing as low and as high as he can.

Date: June 9, 2012 16:00

Well, one things for sure, these things don't tend to improve with age, at least after a certain point.

Date: June 9, 2012 16:11

His Majesty
It's probably the case that only he and probably a few other people know, the reason being we've never heard him try to sing as low and as high as he can.
LOL, the lowest note might be the word "from" in first verse of "Ruby Tuesday". Kind of shaky, and almost doesn't count.
The highest passage in head voice that I can think of right now is in "Following The River". He gets pretty high up. There is a song on "Shes The Boss", and I cant think of it now, but he sings high up too.

This is actually a good point to ponder: where did he go highest, or lowest?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 9, 2012 16:16

In these days of studio gimmicks and autotune we may never know.

I've never thought of Jagger as a good singer. Perfect for The Stones, though. If he was a great singer, he would have been horrible for the Stones.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 9, 2012 16:16

Not as good as this.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 9, 2012 16:27

Palace Revolution 2000
His Majesty
LOL, the lowest note might be the word "from" in first verse of "Ruby Tuesday". Kind of shaky, and almost doesn't count.
The highest passage in head voice that I can think of right now is in "Following The River". He gets pretty high up. There is a song on "Shes The Boss", and I cant think of it now, but he sings high up too.

This is actually a good point to ponder: where did he go highest, or lowest?

i think the highest point could also be in Angie when he sings "you can't say we're satisfied" On some live versions he tried to sing these lines but he failed so later he sang those lines in a lower key.

anybody seen my baby und love is strong are songs in a low key and whenever he sings it live it seems to me that he feels uncomfortable with it

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 9, 2012 17:42

Voice type: High baritone
Vocal Range: F2-A4(-G5)

Significant High Notes (Full):
A4 "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'", "Heart For Sale", "Rock And A Hard Place", "One Hit To The Body", Angie", "I Know It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Love It)", "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
G?4 "Sympathy for the Devil"
G4 "I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Significant Low notes:
F2 "Sex Drive"
G2 "Love Is Strong", "Ruby Tuesday"
B2 "Tell Me (You're Coming Back)"

There is discussion about Mick's range
[therangeplace.forummotion.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-09 17:45 by proudmary.

Date: June 9, 2012 17:50

sjs12
Technically Mick isn't the best singer but he's the best singer for the stones. I'd say his range is fairly limited because you never hear him screaming high notes. I don't know his range but excluding falsetto I doubt its 4 octaves.

He would be the best singer for a lot of rock 'n roll bands. Just think of all the bands with weak vocalists. Dylan and Springsteen should let Mick do all their vocals these days.

Date: June 9, 2012 17:51

MightyStonesStillRollin50
So powerful he can be heard around the world!

From London to New York, from New York to Los Angeles, from Los Angeles to Tokyo, and back to London!

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 9, 2012 18:30

Those 'monkeys' at the end of Monkey Man are pretty high are they not?.

I think he went for higher notes live, particularly on,say SFM in '72 than he generally did on record. This has worked for him as he's got older as he doesn't struggle on songs as much as singers who naturally sung in a higher register like Plant or Daltrey.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 9, 2012 18:56

Worried About You - is a good indication of range.

Date: June 9, 2012 19:12

Chris Fountain

All of that high stuff is done in falsetto though.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 9, 2012 19:22

treaclefingers
Chris Fountain

All of that high stuff is done in falsetto though.

How about when he goes deeper on the song when he sings "Yeah bring it on home Yeah I'm tellin you .....etc" Doesn't that cover the deep side of range? Just sayin..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-09 19:22 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 10, 2012 00:10

It's obvious , his 2012 vocal range is exactly 3.166 octaves and getting less with each passing year. eye rolling smiley peace

Date: June 10, 2012 04:53

I saw a Mick interview from the time of VOODOO LOUNGE—which is obviously awhile ago—and he said that he had not lost any upper notes, but had actually gained some lower notes.

I have about the same vocal range as Mick (except his falsetto, which outstrips mine). I haven't sung all his songs, but haven't yet run across one I can't sing. I was just curious what his upper limit was.

The thoughtful answers above are great. Thanks for the song references.

(Maybe the bored comments above are those of non-singers...But if you're a singer, such "minutiae" is of interest.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-10 04:55 by Title5Take1.

Date: June 10, 2012 06:03

Title5Take1
I saw a Mick interview from the time of VOODOO LOUNGE—which is obviously awhile ago—and he said that he had not lost any upper notes, but had actually gained some lower notes.

I have about the same vocal range as Mick (except his falsetto, which outstrips mine). I haven't sung all his songs, but haven't yet run across one I can't sing. I was just curious what his upper limit was.

The thoughtful answers above are great. Thanks for the song references.

(Maybe the bored comments above are those of non-singers...But if you're a singer, such "minutiae" is of interest.)

I think most everyone`s voice deepens a bit with age, so that isn`t a surprise. I would be surprised to find that 18 years later, he hadn`t lost some off the high end.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: June 10, 2012 06:11

Never been close to that of Don van Vliet or Steve Tyler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-10 06:12 by bigtyke66.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 10, 2012 19:00

proudmary
Voice type: High baritone
Vocal Range: F2-A4(-G5)

Significant High Notes (Full):

A4 "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'", "Heart For Sale", "Rock And A Hard Place", "One Hit To The Body", Angie", "I Know It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Love It)", "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
G?4 "Sympathy for the Devil"
G4 "I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Significant Low notes:
F2 "Sex Drive"
G2 "Love Is Strong", "Ruby Tuesday"
B2 "Tell Me (You're Coming Back)"

Nice link. They also have a thread about Keith

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 10, 2012 21:34

getting less with his age.
its not meant as a criticism, but his voice is not as full as in the seventies.

that just happens when people get older.

he is one heck of a rock n roll singer, and i hope to see him a few times more.
jeroen

Date: June 11, 2012 05:15

proudmary

That's a great link. Thanks.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 11, 2012 06:39

I agree that detailed info on Jagger's voice may not be known. I dont know much about range of vocalists but it seems that most of the songs played live now by the stones are in the key of b and a few in a. (Check Charlie's Plexiglas list on his drum kit). These make sense guitar wise (as I am a guitar player) so I would assume the choice of the keys of the song would relate to Jagger's vocal ability. Studio recordings and key choice is another matter though. Does that help shed any light title5take1? I may be way off on this one. If so please forgive my ignorance.

Go Dawgs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-11 06:40 by nankerphlege.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home