Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Just Ran Into Elvis Costello on Brighton Pier
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 16, 2012 19:36

I asked him he thought the Stones would really play on SNL...no, seriously I didn't ask him that, but I did just run into him. We chatted amiably for a few minutes. It was a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to the show tonight.

Re: OT: Just Ran Into Elvis Costello on Brighton Pier
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 16, 2012 19:45

Very cool, Tele I know you're a huge Costello fan--I remember that great story you shared where you chatted with Elvis before a show and he later added a song to his set that you guys were just talking about. Great story. Have fun tonight.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 16, 2012 19:50

Nice Tele! I am a fan of his songwriting and have enjoyed his appearances at Pegi Young's Bridge School Benefits. Where is Brighton pier? peace

Date: May 16, 2012 19:52

Naturalust
Nice Tele! I am a fan of his songwriting and have enjoyed his appearances at Pegi Young's Bridge School Benefits. Where is Brighton pier? peace

Brighton, south cost of England. Great Victorian pier and hotels. Quadrophenia fans will know it as the place the Mods and Rockers clashed.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: May 16, 2012 20:41

Tele, did you go to the UK just to see Elvis?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 16, 2012 20:46

That's cool. Great experience I guess

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 16, 2012 21:51

Cool! He sounds like a nice guy - which is always good to hear.

I saw him years ago in Boston - he was terrific! smoking smiley

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 16, 2012 21:59

Very cool Tele. Have you seen any shows from this current tour? If not, you're in for a treat. I'd still like to know why he stopped doing his talk show.

Date: May 17, 2012 01:32

KeefintheNight82
Tele, did you go to the UK just to see Elvis?

I was just going to see the show in Manchester, but I was here for a week and a half. Then I looked at the tour schedule and a map and ended up going to four shows. I know, I'm shameless...Tonight's show they brought up Chris Difford from Squeeze. Elvis sang "Tempted", then Chris sang "Cool For Cats".

Date: May 17, 2012 01:34

theimposter
Very cool Tele. Have you seen any shows from this current tour? If not, you're in for a treat. I'd still like to know why he stopped doing his talk show.

I've only seen seven, plus three last year in New York. Love the Spinning Songbook, it's the showbiz marvel of the age. They do a fine version of our boys' "Out Of Time" as well.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 17, 2012 23:55

I love his version of " Allison"....just great!

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:30

That's very cool, Tele...wish i could afford to follow someone I liked out of the country. Maybe someday soon...

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:58

Tele, I totally missed this thread. Were you crouching outside his hotel waiting for him to emerge? grinning smiley

What did you guys talk about? So happy you ran into him. And I'm still blown away by Tempted and Cool for Cats!

-swiss

Date: May 21, 2012 01:29

Goddamn - hope you didn't knock him into the ocean!

Date: May 21, 2012 01:30

swiss
Tele, I totally missed this thread. Were you crouching outside his hotel waiting for him to emerge? grinning smiley

What did you guys talk about? So happy you ran into him. And I'm still blown away by Tempted and Cool for Cats!

-swiss

No Swiss, it was totally random, which made it cool. Apparently we each had the same idea at the same time: To have a walk by Brighton Pier. I don't stalk people at their hotels, contrary to what you may have heard. winking smiley

Date: May 21, 2012 01:33

mickschix
I love his version of " Allison"....just great!

His version of "Alison"? He wrote it so his version is the version. Interesting that in the four U.K. shows I saw, he did three distinctively different versions of that song: A fairly straight one with the band, one where he incorporates bits of songs like "Tears Of A Clown" and "Suspicious Minds" into the long "my aim is true" vamp at the end, and finally, in Brighton he did it solo acoustic. All were great.

Date: May 21, 2012 02:17

71Tele
swiss

-swiss

No Swiss, it was totally random, which made it cool. Apparently we each had the same idea at the same time: To have a walk by Brighton Pier. I don't stalk people at their hotels, contrary to what you may have heard. winking smiley

I'm joking, mister smiling smiley Elvis is probably your biggest fan!

Date: May 21, 2012 03:51

swiss
71Tele
swiss

-swiss

I'm joking, mister smiling smiley Elvis is probably your biggest fan!

That's right. I wish the man would leave me alone.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 21, 2012 10:38

Nice to read about an American - or any tourist for that matter - enjoying their time in a UK city other than London. Our capital is great, but there are so many other places to visit and see. Good for you, Tele. I must get round to visiting Brighton one day!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 21, 2012 11:57

Did you run into The Who while you were there?

Date: May 21, 2012 15:58

Big Al
Nice to read about an American - or any tourist for that matter - enjoying their time in a UK city other than London. Our capital is great, but there are so many other places to visit and see. Good for you, Tele. I must get round to visiting Brighton one day!

Not just Brighton, Al, but Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham and Bradford this trip. I particularly enjoyed Liverpool. Lots to recommend it and very friendly locals, those scousers.

Date: May 21, 2012 15:59

Silver Dagger
Did you run into The Who while you were there?

No, Silver Dagger, but I did look for jellied eels. All of my images of Brighton came from the Quadrophenia album.

Date: May 21, 2012 18:24

71Tele

Not just Brighton, Al, but Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham and Bradford this trip. I particularly enjoyed Liverpool. Lots to recommend it and very friendly locals, those scousers.

Wow, I think you may have visited more UK cities than me! Bradford is an interesting one, though. I can tick off Manchester and Birmingham, though they were fleeting visits. I rarely stray from Kent and London. Still, Tornoto is calling again in 5 weeks - second visit this year. Wonderful city, though very slow-paces to someone used to the buzz of central London!

Date: May 21, 2012 18:41

Big Al
71Tele

Wow, I think you may have visited more UK cities than me! Bradford is an interesting one, though. I can tick off Manchester and Birmingham, though they were fleeting visits. I rarely stray from Kent and London. Still, Tornoto is calling again in 5 weeks - second visit this year. Wonderful city, though very slow-paces to someone used to the buzz of central London!

Toronto is pretty faced-paced compared to the rest of Canada!

I had to go to Bradford on business. I found the train trip from Manchester very interesting. I like all those old industrial brick buildings. Birmingham was dull. I wish I had had more time in Brighton. Have you been to the West Country at all? I'd like to visit Cornwall and Devon.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: May 21, 2012 21:40

I hope he's okay.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 21, 2012 22:28

That's right, Linda Ronstadt borrowed Allison for her cd in the 70's...love her version too!!

Date: May 22, 2012 01:08

71Tele

Toronto is pretty faced-paced compared to the rest of Canada!

I had to go to Bradford on business. I found the train trip from Manchester very interesting. I like all those old industrial brick buildings. Birmingham was dull. I wish I had had more time in Brighton. Have you been to the West Country at all? I'd like to visit Cornwall and Devon.

I was quite surprised at the simplicity of Toronto's subway system compared to the London Underground. There is absolutely nothing to it. I liked the fact that the Toronto public seem to have their own little scene going on.

I've been to both Cornwall and Devon. I haven't been to the former since I was a small child, but visited Devon a few times circa 2004-05. If you like the idea of a picturesque England with quaint villages - with even more interesting locals - and green pastures, then you'll like Devon very much, I think.

Date: May 22, 2012 07:46

mickschix
That's right, Linda Ronstadt borrowed Allison for her cd in the 70's...love her version too!!

She also recorded his "Girls Talk" and "Party Girl" on the same album.

Date: May 22, 2012 08:19

71Tele
mickschix

Wow - I thought Dave Edmunds/Rockpile wrote "Girls Talk."

-swiss

Date: May 22, 2012 16:52

swiss
71Tele
mickschix

Wow - I thought Dave Edmunds/Rockpile wrote "Girls Talk."

-swiss

No, EC wrote it and he and The Attractions recorded it for "Get Happy", but it was left off the album and Edmunds' (highly inferior, imo) version came out first.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home