Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Keith's ethnic origins
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 9, 2012 10:18

I know that Charlie is Jewish, but is Keith? Below is an excerpt from 'Life'. Was Keith speaking literally or metaphorically?

'There was "Paint It Black," for example, recorded in March
1966, our sixth British number one. Brian Jones, now transformed into a multi-instrumentalist, having "given up playing the guitar," played sitar. It was a different style to everything I'd done before. Maybe it was the Jew in me. It's more to me like "Hava Nagila" '

Re: Keith's ethnic origins
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 9, 2012 10:35

Charlie Watts is not Jewish.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 9, 2012 10:35

I must admit when I read that line in Life it made me wonder. I've not seen or heard any other references to Keith having Jewish roots, it's more likely a 'Keithism' Having said that Bert had a bit of Jewish look to him so you never know!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 9, 2012 10:49

Keith's statement wasn't meant literally, i'm sure.

and Deltics my dear, i've read two interviews over the decades in which Charlie identifies himself as Jewish.
i reckon what he meant by that was that his maternal grandmother was Jewish.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: May 9, 2012 12:11

Keith is originally a combination of a Balkan/Serbian negro-indian son of gypsy-bitch, as well as is Ron Wood (only he has little more Kazachstan blood)

Mick is a Jewish-african son of the Devil

Bill Wyman originally derives from The Eskimo's

And Charlie? I suppose he's 100% British

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 9, 2012 13:36

What about Brian & Mick T?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 9, 2012 13:42

I always thought Keith was Huegenot

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 9, 2012 14:00

Keith's immediate ancestors on both sides are in and around North and East London - anybody who is a member of one of the many genealogy websites should be able to trace a fairly unusual surname like Dupree (his maternal Grandfather's name) without too much trouble. I'm not signed up so I can't see much, but there's a tantalising "John Dupree, violinist" in the 1881 London census. Further back Dupre/Dupree is a French or Channel Islands, and yes, possibly Huguenot name. Anybody feel like doing some research?

Richards on the other hand is one of the commonest surnames in Britain, and I for one don't know if his dad was AlBert, HerBert, HuBert or even Bertram Richards... Anyway it's likely to be Welsh further back down the line.

"Wood", by the way, is one of the classic Gypsy surnames in the UK and there have been some famous Gypsy musicians by that name - not that I think our Ronnie is closely related to them: it's also, alas, another very common surname - like Jones and Taylor...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 9, 2012 14:04

Is this thread for real?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 9, 2012 15:04

Come On
Is this thread for real?

If it happens, it must be possible.

Makes a change from wigs, shoes and who-nailed-who threads, anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-09 15:07 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 9, 2012 15:13

Come On
Is this thread for real?

I hope so. Quite interesting too.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 9, 2012 15:32

Come On
Is this thread for real?

Why wouldnt it?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 9, 2012 15:36

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-09 15:36 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 9, 2012 17:08

Charlie is not Jewish, but always thought Ringo might be, as he was adopted. You never know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-09 17:09 by 71Tele.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: May 9, 2012 17:34

If memory serves me right, Watts says in Stanley Booth's book, about his pre-Stones days, something to the effect of 'being Jewish I wanted money', and that he therefore went to Denmark to work.
I always took that as a tongue-in-cheek reference to his being Jewish, or partly Jewish.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 9, 2012 19:42

71Tele
Charlie is not Jewish, but always thought Ringo might be, as he was adopted. You never know.

Ringo wasn't adopted. His parents split when he was about 3 and his mother remarried, though.

I always thought Charlie was a Member of the Tribe. Probably just from the Booth book.

Date: May 9, 2012 20:17

71Tele

this feels like 'the German corner'..................1938......

BTW, I'm pretty sure Mr Zimmermann is Jewish...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 9, 2012 20:48

Come On
71Tele

What I was looking for was some clarification on the quote from 'Life'.

Date: May 9, 2012 20:52

Bliss
Come On
71Tele

What I was looking for was some clarification on the quote from 'Life'.

Kind of old fashioned way to look at it...him or her is jewish...so what..my parents born in the 20ies looked at people this way...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 9, 2012 20:59

For Heavens sake, don't get your knickers in a twist. Keith states, for the first time as far as I am aware, in 2010, "Maybe it was the Jew in me".

Is an inquiry about this odd statement taboo in your world?

Date: May 9, 2012 21:03

Bliss
For Heavens sake, don't get your knickers in a twist. Keith states, for the first time as far as I am aware, in 2010, "Maybe it was the Jew in me".

Nope, that's just a sentence from Keith (nothing to discuss like is Ringo jewish), a way to put it, just like Dostojevskij put it saying - ....just as many gold-coins a jew has in his pocket...in The Karamazov Bros...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: May 9, 2012 21:04

Very interesting that Charlie is a jew. Never knew that.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 9, 2012 22:10

Bliss

the name Dupree doesnt mean Doris was Jewish but the name could mean she was Jewish or with Jewish ancestry. Maybe Keith meant his maternal grandfather was Jewish. Cool info about Charlie.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 9, 2012 22:16

Although it commonly defined as ethnic-religious designation, I always maintain that it's a religion, not an ethnicity. If you don't have Jewish beliefs, you're not Jewish.

Date: May 9, 2012 22:29

Send It To me
Although it commonly defined as ethnic-religious designation, I always maintain that it's a religion, not an ethnicity. If you don't have Jewish beliefs, you're not Jewish.

That's your personal definition of course.

Date: May 9, 2012 22:57

Bärs
Send It To me

Well, there's no such thing as "Jewish DNA" - ethnic divisions are quite silly. Plus, as a convert to Judaism I get annoyed with being labeled "not a real Jew" while people who don't know a synagogue from a service station are called "Jewish."

Date: May 9, 2012 23:09

Send It To me
Bärs
Send It To me

Well, there's no such thing as "Jewish DNA" - ethnic divisions are quite silly. Plus, as a convert to Judaism I get annoyed with being labeled "not a real Jew" while people who don't know a synagogue from a service station are called "Jewish."

Ethnic divisions might be silly but they exist anyway. According the jewish law you inherit your status as a jew by matrilineal descent, which would make Charlie a jew. I think that also Elvis was a jew by that traditional definiton. This definiton does not of course exclude people from having other etnic identities as well. It's simply a statement of how they are percieved by the jewish community.

Date: May 9, 2012 23:13

Bärs
Send It To me
Bärs
Send It To me

Ethnic divisions might be silly but they exist anyway. According the jewish law you inherit your status as a jew by matrilineal descent, which would make Charlie a jew. I think that also Elvis was a jew by that traditional definiton. This definiton does not of course exclude people from having other etnic identities as well. It's simply a statement of how they are percieved by the jewish community.

Date: May 9, 2012 23:20

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 9, 2012 23:36

Redhotcarpet
Maybe Keith meant his maternal grandfather was Jewish.

it would need to be his maternal grandmother - but nothing i've ever read indicates that any of Keith's grandparents were Jewish.

Green Lady, Keith's line of Duprees is indeed of Hugenot descent - Keith's talked about that.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home