Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Is anyone else feeling a little jaded with the whole rock and roll thing?
Posted by: JackFlash68 ()
Date: May 6, 2012 10:30

I still love the music but some of the people who purvey it, consume it, feed around it are becoming a touch Waynes World.

The Rock age has passed as surely as the jazz age has passed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-06 10:33 by JackFlash68.

Re: Is anyone else feeling a little jaded with the whole rock and roll thing?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 6, 2012 11:17

Yup, it's high time for a new Punk-era....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 6, 2012 11:19

I have thought that for a while now.

How can anyone bring anything new to the format?

It's all been done - or at least it would be very difficult to say something fresh.

The Stones, Beatles and all the classic groups/artists were lucky to be near the beginning of the era which coincided with massive advances in studio recording methods, amplification equipment, revolutionary ideas about what an "album" was and how songs are written and a whole social awakening.

The novelty/innovation wore off some time in the early 80's (if not before) and it's been regurgitation ever since.

Yeah, I expect to get some flack for that but when I hear a new artist today I hear old influences and you can usually tell where they lifted it from and who they are trying to sound like.

Sadly I don't like the genuinely "new" music movements that came along after the classic rock era - sorry I can't help it, shoot me. Rap, sampling, looping, trance, hip hop and all that stuff. It's not my thing, it's not my era. Even that stuff is past it's sell by date now.

Rock/pop is destined to become "preserved" like classical/jazz and all those other musical movements, it will continue, it's just not as relevant as it was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-06 11:20 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 6, 2012 11:27

the rock era ended in about 1992.

people who like beethoven and mozart don't stop loving that music just because its been 200 years since the last beethoven or mozart

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: May 6, 2012 12:27

This is old news. The 'whole rock and roll' thing' ended about 30 years ago....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 6, 2012 12:31

The 'whole rock and roll' thing' ended about 30 years ago....

.........yeah like about 1958 ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 6, 2012 13:30

I don't. There is still lot of rock and roll music that I have listened to that includes today's music and music from the 50's, 60's, 70's. I am still hungry for more rock and roll music. Jaded is a state of mind I don't get into, I'm lucky that way.I love life because rock and roll music makes it worth living.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 6, 2012 13:31

rollmops
I don't. There is still lot of rock and roll music that I have listened to that includes today's music and music from the 50's, 60's, 70's. I am still hungry for more rock and roll music. Jaded is a state of mind I don't get into, I'm lucky that way.I love life because rock and roll music makes it worth living.
Rock and roll,
Mops
thumbs up you rock... roll

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 6, 2012 13:32

rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Right on rollmops! Post of the day!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 6, 2012 13:46

R nR has exhausted all it's avenues I agree...but it won't stop bands and musicians from still writing good songs. Everything has always been derivative, i.e. The Beatles and Stones lifted their stuff from the Blues guys and Chuck and Rockabilly and country...and those genres lifted their stuff from earlier music etc etc etc...that process continues. What seems to have slowed down is the new bands injected their own little something into the music as the Stones and Beatles did. I'm sure Rock n Roll will never die (sorry) we have to await a new wave, a reaction to something, thats what it feeds on.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 6, 2012 14:19

I never listen to 90s, 00s or 10s artists. I would have to be a fool if I should feel that those people gave me something new. The radio should take consequence of the jadedness and stop playing their music.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 6, 2012 14:21

Max'sKansasCity
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops
thumbs up you rock... roll
Hey, there is a lot of cool jazz too. Listen Matana Roberts - Coin Coin.
Wonderful stuff, and there's tons more. You just dont hear it on mainstream radio, but look for it on the web. Listen. It's there.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 6, 2012 14:29

JackFlash68

I've made that statement a number of times. RnR will never die, any more
than jazz will, but it will never again be the music that moves the world's
youth, and so its commercial importance will continue to fade. In fact, if it
wasn't for the single-minded determination of Keith Richards particularly,
it would no doubt by now be a lot further faded. He's the Godfather of RnR.

(Bruce and AC/DC also very important believers)

The movement now seems to be towards rhthymically complex music with technically
strong yet still soulful vocals. Often it has an international sound. AR Rahman
just tweeted admiringly about this next cut, which is a hit in India, by Indian
artists for Indian youth, yet really not that far from what Rihanna has brought
to us out of Barbados, Nikki Minaj out of Trinidad, K'Naan out of Somalia,
Shakira out of Colombia, David Guetta out of France etc. I think we're
witnessing the first genuinely worldwide movement in pop music, and its exciting,
and its why I want SuperHeavy to get back into the game...

SuperHeavy music isn't weird. It's the new normal.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-06 18:03 by superrevvy.

Date: May 6, 2012 16:01

I'm not a fan of Ke$ha's, except for that Tik-Tok song and video, and her version
of Dead Flowers, but this story went worldwide last week and I don't think it was
reported here:

Hindustan Times: Singer Kesha is eager to collaborate with Justin Bieber and
Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards sometime in the future. "The range
of artists I want to work with is so vast, it's bizarre. I would love to have Keith
Richards on the record. I would sure as hell like to do a collaboration with Bieber
and at the same time do a song with the Flaming Lips," she told V magazine. "If
someone is a real artist, you can't confine them to a particular genre. It's my
mission to make it all make sense somehow," she added.

(Hey! That's my mission too!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-06 16:10 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 6, 2012 17:12

I think the heydays of rock- and popculture started to wither somewhere in the 90´s when MTV (and other TV-stations) started top show sit-coms instead of rock videos. The internet diluted it even more.

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: May 6, 2012 17:18

I think there's still a tiny bit of hope because of groups like The Black Keys and Alabama Shakes...and there's Jack White.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 6, 2012 17:25

sirdoug
I think there's still a tiny bit of hope because of groups like The Black Keys and Alabama Shakes...and there's Jack White.

I do not know the future of music or our own destinies. I really think our era got the best deal in life.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 6, 2012 17:39

I'm very lucky to know The Rolling Stones have never been a Rock 'N Roll band only, but they like it, still ... cool smiley

And me, I like all those SuperHeavy Voodoo-Bridges-Banging, too.

Open your mind, feel fine, have a good day!

smoking smiley

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: May 6, 2012 18:03

JackFlash68
I still love the music but some of the people who purvey it, consume it, feed around it are becoming a touch Waynes World.

I completely agree. There's a reason why there is so much demand still for music from the 60s and 70s - the music was fresh, the recordings weren't clipped and digitized into poor sounding formats, radio stations played more than 6 artists in a 24 hour period, success was not dependant upon getting onto MTV...

Clear Channel owns nearly every major radio outlet in the country, algorithms determine what songs will be played to which metropolitan areas...

I for one praise the heavens that the record industry has been hit so hard and terrestrial radio is struggling...what comes around goes around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-06 18:04 by MJG196.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 6, 2012 19:17

I think Gravityboy nailed it. It's not really a matter of finding good songs or artists or not. Thanks in part to the internet it's easier than ever to find good stuff and discover new music. But I agree that there's very little invention going on in rock 'n' roll now. Rock was red hot in the '50s, exploded in the '60s, grew in dozens of directions in the '70s and '80s, but haven't really developed in the last 20 years. I guess we'll just have to accept that. Even if you look at recent popular music, which would include hip hop, it all feels a bit "old" and relying on past achievements.

Date: May 6, 2012 19:22

MJG196
I for one praise the heavens that the record industry has been hit so hard and terrestrial radio is struggling...what comes around goes around.

You're taking false comfort from one tiny aspect of what's going on now.

While there is no doubt that the business models of radio stations and record
companies need re-vamping, the popularity of today's crop of top 40 artists
(and their riches from almost nothing but radio airplay) is without parallel
in history. Artists like Gaga and Rihanna are already worth in the neighborhood
of $100 million (one-third of Jagger's wealth already) without significant
touring revenues. It is all about getting played on the radio now. While
Bruce busts his hump on stage around the world, Gaga will make more than him during
the same period just from her tweets.

Trying to wish this new world away by focusing on some of the less adept
players is like judging classic rock by how well Iron Butterfly is doing.

From 3 days ago: "NBCUniversal first-quarter revenue was up 18% to $5.5 billion"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-06 19:23 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 6, 2012 19:53

no but sometimes i feel jaded about being jaded all the time.

Posted by: JackFlash68 ()
Date: May 6, 2012 20:34

I'm not suggesting that one shouldn't enjoy the body of work or the legacy. It just feels as if the whole scene has become a bit too retro.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 6, 2012 20:52

It's all a matter of cycles.

A rock and roll cycle will come in time.

Every generation has a right to their own music.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 6, 2012 21:12

JackFlash68

HMMM...no one told me the jazz age passed, I'm listening to some jazz right now.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: May 6, 2012 21:31

1979 for me.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 6, 2012 21:32

stonesrule

Right on...what goes around comes around. Each generation has a resurgence of prior generations' music. When I was a kid in the 70s, the craze was the 50s and the Beach Boys (partially fueled by a popular TV show Happy Days). My point is music is a circle.

We'll always have music - some decades the mainstream stuff isn't inspired. But as pointed out, get into some alternative music, jazz, revisit old favorites and sooner or later, we'll have another golden age.

And as Keith said, the first song was sung by Adam and Eve - everything else is a variation.
Rock ON!smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-06 21:38 by memphiscats.

Date: May 6, 2012 21:35

memphiscats
stonesrule

Right on...what goes around comes around. Each generation has a resurgence of prior generation's music. When I was a kid in the 70s, the whole craze was the 50s and Beach Boys (partially fueled by popular TV show Happy Days)...Regardless, it's a circle. And as Keith said, the first song was sung by Adam and Eve - everything else is a variation.
Rock ON!smoking smiley

I just invested in a chain of minuet dance studios. the minuet is way overdue for a comeback.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 6, 2012 21:38

superrevvy
memphiscats
stonesrule

Right on...what goes around comes around. Each generation has a resurgence of prior generation's music. When I was a kid in the 70s, the whole craze was the 50s and Beach Boys (partially fueled by popular TV show Happy Days)...Regardless, it's a circle. And as Keith said, the first song was sung by Adam and Eve - everything else is a variation.
Rock ON!smoking smiley

I just invested in a chain of minuet dance studios. the minuet is way overdue for a comeback.

Good one! Personally, I'm waiting for the polka winking smiley - remember that guy in the 70s who brought the polka onto the pop charts? What was his name?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-06 21:41 by memphiscats.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: May 6, 2012 21:43

rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops[/quote

I totally agree I listen to all sorts of music I love music be it new or old I keep discovering stuff from years ago that I missed plus all that comes out now ,it's not all brand new but enjoy it life is far to short.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home