Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859Next
Current Page: 54 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: May 21, 2012 09:33

MightyStonesStillRollin50
Keith Richards will be there doing what he always does. He never was perfect. Doesn't need to be. It has never been just about the music to me. I could give a rip how technically perfect a musician is. It's about how much joy is delivered. The personalities have a lot to do with it.

This is the kind of argument I don't understand. Certainly, Keith has never been a technically perfect guitarist. We're all Stones fans...we're not listening to the band for technically perfect playing. But there's still a difference between good and bad playing. I need a little more than just joy being delivered. My neighbor could plug in a guitar and bash away at it, but just because he has a smile on his face while he's doing it doesn't mean he's any good or it's worth listening to.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 21, 2012 09:54

I thought Jeff Beck was brilliant, shame about the song.

Mick was in good vocal form throughout.

His "stand up" patter looked very coached to me and reminded me of Bob Hope reading cue cards (yeah I know, it's not his day job).

Nice to see he wasn't wearing a wig... but it does beg the question... how the hell do you have hair like that at his age?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 21, 2012 10:01

Mick as comedian Denny Cumberbatch in SNL outtake >>> [www.nbc.com]

(The video may well have been posted elsewhere on this forum, but after a cursory search I didn't see it.)

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 21, 2012 10:40

I've not seen much of it yet, but I checked the clips at nbc.com of the songs with Jeff Beck,
Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire and I really enjoyed those. Great songs performed by great musicians.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2012 11:16

Do you ever get the feeling we all have been fooled? After five years of silence from the band we get this - another solo performance from Mick Jagger.
Do we need that? Was that what we were looking for?

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 21, 2012 11:45

Stoneage

Do you ever get the feeling we all have been fooled? After five years of silence from the band we get this - another solo performance from Mick Jagger.

Did The Rolling Stones made promises about a new tour, album or even a press conference?? Did The Stones announce any live-performance at SNL???

Why do you blame The Rolling Stones for fooling fans? They have done nothing, only the fans are dreaming or crying, for years now, as long as I'm reading this board.

All things The Rolling Stones have done and will do is: Having some fun and earn some fresh money. But they don't need the money, and they will do nothing they have no fun with.

And, btw.,The Rolling Stones will do nothing only to please some old fans. They know: They can't do it right for most of those self-called stonesfans knowing all better than The Stones themselves

But The Rolling Stones have a little interest to gather some new and younger fans, who don't have bought all the old stones stuff until now.

And Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie, too, will be a little more happy to please younger bands playing "The Last Time" and "Get Off Of My Cloud", etc.

May be, for some fans it is a big tragedy and a lot of disappointment, but for The Rolling Stones it is strategy, marketing and a lot of fun ... cool smiley

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 21, 2012 12:01

Stoneage

Fooled? Stones haven´t promised anyone anything, there are many here that seem to think so. The big touring days are over, though there are some idiots here that refuse to think so over and over again saying they will do this and that, announcing this and that and that they even were supposed to play SNL. How dumb can some be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-21 12:02 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2012 12:12

Just a feeling. Luckily the Stones still can't control my feelings.

Date: May 21, 2012 12:17

JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneage

Fooled? Stones haven´t promised anyone anything, there are many here that seem to think so. The big touring days are over, though there are some idiots here that refuse to think so over and over again saying they will do this and that, announcing this and that and that they even were supposed to play SNL. How dumb can some be?

Some of those "idiots" know more than you do. Deal with it!

Date: May 21, 2012 12:26

DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneage

Ehhh, no they don´t and you are one of them.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: May 21, 2012 12:28

Will all those gambling money for a Stones appearance on here now go to a local charity and donate the money.

The Stones announced nothing happening tour wise this year.

And please do not start on a Stones show at Hammersmith in June.

Date: May 21, 2012 12:30

The GR
Will all those gambling money for a Stones appearance on here now go to a local charity and donate the money.

The Stones announced nothing happening tour wise this year.

And please do not start on a Stones show at Hammersmith in June.

thumbs up

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 21, 2012 12:32

JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneage

Missed your breakfast this morning,Jeppe ?
Bad luck.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 21, 2012 12:33

Justin
I dunno. To some on this board, Keith is done for good and want nothing to do with him. If that's what karma is then karma is in fact truly a bitch.

Yeah, I guess they just want to hear all those great songs he helped write and arrange and breath life into. No wonder there are always songs and stories and films about fans killing their idols. Not to mention occasionally in real life.

Date: May 21, 2012 12:37

shortfatfanny
JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneage

Bad luck.

And there we have the second one...living the american dream do you?

Date: May 21, 2012 12:38

JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneage

LOL! What's wrong, Jeppe?

I wasn't talking about myself here. However, there are people here on this board that get information before you and I do.

There's not reason for shooting the messenger here.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 21, 2012 12:38

thanks to Dime I just saw it
great. The guy is almost 69 !!
I liked a lot when Mick was searching for Beck behind him
But why the sound is so flat each time on SNL broadcast. The drums especially during Foo set.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 21, 2012 12:45

JumpinJeppeFlash
shortfatfanny
JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneage

Bad luck.

And there we have the second one...living the american dream do you?

In case you´re the first we should walk hand in hand...smoking smiley

Date: May 21, 2012 12:49

DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneage

I wasn't talking about myself here. However, there are people here on this board that get information before you and I do.

Well, then you missed my point, there are only two people here that are reliable sources and i wasn´t talking about them. Rest of you saying they will do this and that announcing this and that etc. know nothing. And once again, how the hell can some of you be so dumb to think they would actually do SNL? A three year old could understand that they never would do that with a dysfunctional guitarplayer.

Date: May 21, 2012 12:54

JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneage

Well, then you missed my point, there are only two people here that are reliable sources and i wasn´t talking about them. Rest of you saying they will do this and that announcing this and that etc. know nothing. And once again, how the hell can some of you be so dumb to think they would actually do SNL? A three year old could understand that they never would do that with a dysfunctional guitarplayer.

I agree about SNL (where did I say that the Stones would appear there, anyway?), but you keep saying the same about 50 ann. shows as well, contradicting the very same sources you say are credible.

From what I know, your wish on your website may come true...

Date: May 21, 2012 13:03

DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneage

I agree about SNL (where did I say that the Stones would appear there, anyway?), but you keep saying the same about 50 ann. shows as well, contradicting the very same sources you say are credible.

A wish may always come true and i don´t always agree with my fellow stonesvikings. The wish on our site has nothing to do with the two sources here that are reliable.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: May 21, 2012 13:18

A lot of people here put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5(0th tour).

Date: May 21, 2012 13:27

JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneage

A wish may always come true and i don´t always agree with my fellow stonesvikings. The wish on our site has nothing to do with the two sources here that are reliable.

I would rather say three sources...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 21, 2012 13:54

tumbled
He was trying really hard not to need Keith wasn't he? Jeff is great but for me I saw someone trying to be Keith and fill his shoes and it pissed me off

Huh?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 21, 2012 14:02

muenke
Love the Foos ... and for those, who think they are pop, listen to this:

And, if you didn't know of Dave Grohl's sensitive side, watch this!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 21, 2012 16:03

SNL
[consequenceofsound.net]

ExileStones

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 21, 2012 16:25

I just downloaded the complete show....I think it was funny and music wise great.............

Not sure if it's already uploaded .....................here you go..............

[wtrns.fr]

Date: May 21, 2012 16:39

Nimrod
Keith Richards will be there doing what he always does. He never was perfect. Doesn't need to be. It has never been just about the music to me. I could give a rip how technically perfect a musician is. It's about how much joy is delivered. The personalities have a lot to do with it.

This is the kind of argument I don't understand. Certainly, Keith has never been a technically perfect guitarist. We're all Stones fans...we're not listening to the band for technically perfect playing. But there's still a difference between good and bad playing. I need a little more than just joy being delivered. My neighbor could plug in a guitar and bash away at it, but just because he has a smile on his face while he's doing it doesn't mean he's any good or it's worth listening to.

The difference is your neighbor isn't Keith Richards. People still line fairways to see 82 year old Arnold Palmer, 72 year old Jack Nicklaus, and 76 year old Gary Player in made for TV golf competitions. These guys are some of the greatest names in golf, but can't play anywhere close to the way they played 20, 30, 40, and 50 years ago. But they still deliver "moments of magic" and the fans absolutely love and respect them and can never get enough of them no matter how bad they play. Same for Keith, and he can probably play better today (relatively speaking) than Arnie, Jack, or Gary can in their sport. Of course if his playing becomes so bad that the casual fans become turned off by it, and stop coming to concerts in droves, then certainly it will be time to consider retirement. I don't think he has reached that point yet, despite his many critics on forums like this.

Date: May 21, 2012 17:16

71Tele
Shade
Still a lot of unwarranted Keef bashing going on here. What are bashers getting at anyway? MJ and KR go together like white on rice. Lots of knocks on Keef...he is getting older we know, and has some real medical issues. Doesn't mean he can't play, but don't expect 1972 KR anytime soon. Same with Mick who last night showed a pale comparison to Some Girls MJ. MJ hasn't "sang" since 1975, he's been "shout singing" with that flat unvaried monotone since 1981. I have little doubt that both MJ and KR are friends and business partners, and that KR was not "betrayed" or offended by MJ on SNL last night as some demented posters has transmitted from mom's basement. Grow-up, KR was probably sleeping like 3/4 of America was when MJ did SNL. It all equals a fart in the end. We're lucky we still have them with us. Solo Stones are fun, but not very interesting. MJ was great last night, but even I could make the Poo Fighters sound good.

Sometimes I wonder if maybe Keith isn't seriously ill. I sure hope not, but he strikes me as someone who wouldn't say a word to anyone but his immediate family. If they don't pull this 50th anniversary thing off then something is truly amiss.

I think you are very close to the truth here.

It's just a random thought that comes and goes. I get a lot of those. I don't think it's true, but if it was I don't think we would be hearing a lot about it. I certainly hope it isn't true, but we all eventually wear out and he has done a lot in his life to seemingly shorten it, which probably just means he will live to 90 and beyond. I hope so. Would love to see him and Mick in their 80's sitting by the fireplace doing blues numbers and laughing and wondering why they couldn't get along all those years.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 21, 2012 17:23

People still line fairways to see 82 year old Arnold Palmer, 72 year old Jack Nicklaus, and 76 year old Gary Player in made for TV golf competitions. These guys are some of the greatest names in golf, but can't play anywhere close to the way they played 20, 30, 40, and 50 years ago. But they still deliver "moments of magic" and the fans absolutely love and respect them and can never get enough of them no matter how bad they play. Same for Keith, and he can probably play better today (relatively speaking) than Arnie, Jack, or Gary can in their sport. Of course if his playing becomes so bad that the casual fans become turned off by it, and stop coming to concerts in droves, then certainly it will be time to consider retirement. I don't think he has reached that point yet, despite his many critics on forums like this.

But what if Mick CAN play somewhere close to his peak, not athletically of course,
but conceptually, artistically, existentially, expressionistically...
What then should Mick do, oh Mighty One? Hamstring himself for old times sake?
Or partner up with younger artists who are a better match for his energy and vision?

Believe me, I wish everyday that the Rolling Stones 2012, on their best day,
could do for 19th Breakdown and the Last Time what those youngsters did.
But what if the Stones just can't anymore? What should Mick do then?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859Next
Current Page: 54 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1707
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home