Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Jimi Hendrix as sideman + also w/Curtis Knight & the Squires -- "Traveling to California"
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 1, 2012 01:33

2 videos

#1 Buddy & Stacey (with Jimi Hendrix) - Shotgun

Youtube description: May 1965. Early footage of Jimi. After moving into the
Wilcox Hotel, Hollywood, Jimmy (as it was written then) appears on TV for the
first time. He is backing Long Island vocal duo Buddy and Stacey as they
perform 'Shotgun', on the US show Night Train.(from the insanely good,
biography 'Eyewitness Hendrix' written by Johnny Black, 1999
)"

#2 Jimi Hendrix with Curtis Knight & the Squires

Youtube description: "Jimi Hendrix with Curtis Knight & the Squires
possibly December 1965 New Jersey"

HOWEVER---comments say the audio is from much later.

Cool performance and photos anyway.

-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-01 01:40 by swiss.

Re: OT: Jimi Hendrix as sideman + also w/Curtis Knight & the Squires -- "Traveling to California"
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 1, 2012 01:48

With Jimi's death at 27 (I sigh thinking about it) we were robbed of him stretching out and doing different projects. I'm sure he would have loved to make an R&B album. He never got around to showing all the tricks he learned on the chitlin' circuit.

Re: OT: Jimi Hendrix as sideman + also w/Curtis Knight & the Squires -- "Traveling to California"
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 1, 2012 06:26

The second video sure sounds like Hendrix's voice.

Also maybe from that, Red House was born.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 1, 2012 12:10

Oh yea, smokin hot blues licks from the emerging Jimi. I concur with your assessment BluzDude.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: May 1, 2012 12:23

I think it was Jungle records about ten years ago released three Jimi/Curtis Knight CDs. One is the live 65, one 65 studio and a 67 session primarily with Jimi on bass.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 1, 2012 18:57

Hendrix also provided the guitar on Don Convey's rendition of Mercy Mercy. The Stones would've heard that recording in 1965 not knowing who I
this guy was.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 1, 2012 20:43

Big Al
Hendrix also provided the guitar on Don Convey's rendition of Mercy Mercy. The Stones would've heard that recording in 1965 not knowing who I
this guy was.

You mean Don Covay,

Date: May 1, 2012 23:44

Big Al
this guy was.

That's really cool!

Date: May 1, 2012 23:44

filstan
Oh yea, smokin hot blues licks from the emerging Jimi. I concur with your assessment BluzDude.
thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home