Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Can't find pic of Stones driving cadillac (NY press conference 1997)
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 20, 2012 19:20

Can anyone help?

(Yes, I've tried Googling this and other sites!)

Tks

Re: Can't find pic of Stones driving cadillac (NY press conference 1997)
Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: April 20, 2012 19:48

[url=

][/url]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 20, 2012 19:53

go to the iorr home page
pick 1997 from the list on the left side
then choose Press Conference, then Photos

that shoud help some

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 20, 2012 20:01

How much did Mick really drive through the city? The clip only shows the tail end of them arriving...did he only drive that much (from a specific staging area a short distance from the press conference stage) or did he actually start in the city and drove several miles?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 20, 2012 20:09

When Mick Jagger was searching for a car to kick off the Rolling Stones’ Bridges to Babylon Tour in 1997, he chose one of Elsa Frank Nicodemus’s Cadillacs — a 1955 royal red Eldorado Biarritz. “It’s the most gorgeous car. It has a red and white

interior, the most beautiful wire wheels, and red caps to match. Everything has been flawlessly restored,” says Nicodemus, who snagged VIP press seats to watch the Stones drive her Caddy back and forth across the Brooklyn Bridge. “It was very cool. We got a signed poster of the car with all their autographs. Mick was very nice. But he was worried about stopping the car because it had no park on it, only neutral, so you had to pull up an emergency brake,” she he says. “But he was so happy with the car, he got out with the biggest grin on his face.”

[www.hvmag.com]

by Kevin Mazur

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-25 01:27 by open-g.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 20, 2012 20:19

Thanks Open G--that's a classic picture from that day...it's coming back now. They were on the bridge, yes. Would be cool to see video from that. Looks like they're all having a good time.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 20, 2012 20:39

open-g

by Kevin Mazur

So fkng cool... I remember that like it was yesterday,
getting so excited like kids, meeting her at home for lunch,
watching the news conferance on MTV, getting so pumped up.... 15 years ago? already?

Posted by: DonRosendale ()
Date: October 21, 2014 04:08

Under the pen name “Don Dale” I was the author of the Hudson Valley Magazine article with a picture of the Cadillac convertible driven by Mick Jagger to promote a Rolling Stone’s concert tour. This article came up when it was posted here. In fact, it contains several inadvertent errors, which as the writer I need to correct. The Cadillac convertible in fact in the picture was (and still is) owned by Frank Nicodemus, a fact I was unaware of at the time. Frank is in my view the country’s premier Cadillac restoration expert, with a shop in Wappingers Falls, New York, where the Mick Jagger-driven Cadillac is still on view. – Don Rosendale

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 21, 2014 04:43

DonRosendale
Under the pen name “Don Dale” I was the author of the Hudson Valley Magazine article with a picture of the Cadillac convertible driven by Mick Jagger to promote a Rolling Stone’s concert tour. This article came up when it was posted here. In fact, it contains several inadvertent errors, which as the writer I need to correct. The Cadillac convertible in fact in the picture was (and still is) owned by Frank Nicodemus, a fact I was unaware of at the time. Frank is in my view the country’s premier Cadillac restoration expert, with a shop in Wappingers Falls, New York, where the Mick Jagger-driven Cadillac is still on view. – Don Rosendale

thanks for posting - it's great to get details like that straight for the "record" smiling smiley

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: October 21, 2014 06:49

I was there. It was a perfect day. The license plate on the Cadillac said "Gilded Lily" I think. The Stones parked behind the stage at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge. They jumped out and Keith held up a boom box blaring songs from Bridges to Babylon.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: October 21, 2014 07:59

[edits]

Someone should see it. Someone out west.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-21 08:09 by SharksWillCry.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 21, 2014 21:54

DonRosendale

Thanks very much for the fine-tuning!

Date: October 24, 2014 22:29

It was Frank Nicodemus who attended the press conference and experienced the day. I would suggest your removing the HV mag link so as not to confuse RS fans.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 24, 2014 23:43

I remember watching the raw live feed that day. Mick did a fair amount of driving, I think he may have even started out in the Village somewhere. But I seem to recall a good 15 minutes at least of him driving.

That's still my favourite press conference entrance, always brings a smile to my face.

And I always remember Mick jokingly asking the band "is this your last tour?"
smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 24, 2014 23:59

DonRosendale
It was Frank Nicodemus who attended the press conference and experienced the day. I would suggest your removing the HV mag link so as not to confuse RS fans.

Thanks for tuning in and fine-tuning.
I edited the name in my post from 2012, to Frank.
I prefer to keep up the link to the Hudson Valley Magazine article though, just to let everyone know from where the information was retrieved.
If there are more errors to set straight, please post here.
I guess it's the best place for that.

no worries about confusing RS fans. we discuss a lot of factual errors about the Stones here and can be quite nitpicking to get it right.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 25, 2014 06:45

I was there. Running late with a press people bus coming from the record company address near Times Square. There were several press buses, and I was on the late one... All seats taken. So I heard they say "We are adding a new row number one". So while the chairs arrived I picked one of the best seats row one. "You can't sit there" they said, it was reserved for the SPRINT manager the main sponsor of the tour. So I moved one seat. On the other side I had Jane Rose. And the Sprint manager on my other side. So there I was in row one with two of the most important persons for the tour right next to me.

When Mick parked the car virtually on my feet, may be two feet away, I had to zoom out my little pocket camera, and I made a roll of some great close-ups. While they played "Anybody Seen My Baby" on the PA, and I had like 300-400 press people behind me at this place cross the river, with the World Trade Center as a background, I felt I was in the right place.

See some of my pictures here:

[www.iorr.org]

PS. It is Michael Cohl the tour manager and Kevin Mazur the official photographer who are in the background of the first picture...

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-25 06:46 by bv.

Date: October 25, 2014 08:44

Wow, that's a neat experience, BV! Thank you for sharing and digging up the webpage with the photos!

Date: October 27, 2014 18:47

open-g,

You can replace the HV Mag post with the following New York Times article published last year about his '55 Cadillac and the Rolling Stones. I will personally contact Mr. Nicodemus for behind-the-scenes stories and quotations from Mick and his mates and post them here. Don Rosendale

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 27, 2014 19:24

open-g
When Mick Jagger was searching for a car to kick off the Rolling Stones’ Bridges to Babylon Tour in 1997, he chose one of Elsa Frank Nicodemus’s Cadillacs — a 1955 royal red Eldorado Biarritz. “It’s the most gorgeous car. It has a red and white

interior, the most beautiful wire wheels, and red caps to match. Everything has been flawlessly restored,” says Nicodemus, who snagged VIP press seats to watch the Stones drive her Caddy back and forth across the Brooklyn Bridge. “It was very cool. We got a signed poster of the car with all their autographs. Mick was very nice. But he was worried about stopping the car because it had no park on it, only neutral, so you had to pull up an emergency brake,” she he says. “But he was so happy with the car, he got out with the biggest grin on his face.”

[www.hvmag.com]

by Kevin Mazur

That's as cool as it gets!

Posted by: paulovmaya ()
Date: October 28, 2014 05:18

Very nice Cadillac. isn't it the same from this Cypress Hill clip?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: FrankNicodemus ()
Date: September 12, 2015 18:42

To all Rolling Stones fans! I would like to share a recent article written by Jim Motavalli, reporter for The New York Times, detailing the infamous 1955 Cadillac Eldorado convertible - my car - that the Rolling Stones used to launch their Bridges to Babylon tour in 1997. It was a great day for me and my special ride! Feel free to post questions. All the best - Frank Nicodemus.

[www.automotiveitnews.org]

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: September 12, 2015 18:56

I assume Keith and Ronnie weren't allowed to smoke in vehicle. smiling smiley Were you nervous having someone behind the wheel who is used to driving on the wrong side (ha)?

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: September 12, 2015 20:23

Wild Slivovitz
open-g

[www.hvmag.com]

by Kevin Mazur

That's as cool as it gets!

Charlie must have a great toupee to stay on.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 12, 2015 21:29

18 years... Think about it. 18 years.
"Life is short, one look and it's over".

Posted by: FrankNicodemus ()
Date: September 12, 2015 22:32

I was asked by Mick Jagger, “Is there anything that you would not want us to do?” I said, “Yes, I would appreciate if you would not smoke in my car.” And Keith said, “Frank you do know we are fully insured!” I said, “Yes, but that wasn’t the question that you asked me”. That was the end of that conversation. As you can see in the video, they were taking puffs from their cigarettes but held their cigarettes outside my car!

It was quite amusing! I had no fear of Mick driving my car round trip from Brooklyn to Manhattan because the only traffic on the bridge was the Rolling Stones, retired NYPD motorcycle police officers (using their own motorcycles) and the camera crew! I can’t recall the Brooklyn Bridge being closed for any Presidential or dignitaries’ entourage!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home