Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: Levon Helm has passed away ...RIP Levon
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: April 22, 2012 04:01

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 22, 2012 06:26

tomcasagranda
I think Bernie invoked the spirt of Levon on Tumbleweed Connection and Madman Across The Water.

"'Cause he likes the name ....."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-22 06:53 by tatters.

Date: April 24, 2012 02:46

LEVON HELM - MEMORIAL SERVICE DETAILS

4/23/2012

We have learned that a public viewing and memorial service will be held for Levon Helm Thursday in his hometown of Woodstock, New York. This will be followed on Friday by a New Orleans-style funeral procession through the town and burial in the Woodstock Cemetery next to Rick Danko, the singer and bassist in The Band who died in 1999 from heart failure. Levon was born in Arkansas, but had lived primarily in Woodstock since relocating there in the late '60s with The Band. He staged his Midnight Ramble shows at his home studio there on most Saturday nights. Levon died from cancer last Thursday afternoon at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. He was 71 and leaves behind his wife Sandy and daughter Amy from his first marriage to Libby Titus. Libby is now married to Donald Fagen of Steely Dan. Levon is the third member of The Band to pass away following Richard Manuel, who hanged himself in 1986 in Florida while on tour with The Band, and Rick Danko in 1999. The two surviving members are Garth Hudson, who also lives in Woodstock, and Robbie Robertson, who resides in Los Angeles.

[image2.findagrave.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-24 05:02 by tatters.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 24, 2012 06:03

Lovely tribute from Tom Petty to Levon the other night.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 24, 2012 12:28

tatters

4/23/2012

We have learned that a public viewing and memorial service will be held for Levon Helm Thursday in his hometown of Woodstock, New York. This will be followed on Friday by a New Orleans-style funeral procession through the town and burial in the Woodstock Cemetery next to Rick Danko, the singer and bassist in The Band who died in 1999 from heart failure. Levon was born in Arkansas, but had lived primarily in Woodstock since relocating there in the late '60s with The Band. He staged his Midnight Ramble shows at his home studio there on most Saturday nights. Levon died from cancer last Thursday afternoon at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. He was 71 and leaves behind his wife Sandy and daughter Amy from his first marriage to Libby Titus. Libby is now married to Donald Fagen of Steely Dan. Levon is the third member of The Band to pass away following Richard Manuel, who hanged himself in 1986 in Florida while on tour with The Band, and Rick Danko in 1999. The two surviving members are Garth Hudson, who also lives in Woodstock, and Robbie Robertson, who resides in Los Angeles.

[image2.findagrave.com]

Thank you so much for posting, tatters.

Are you going? Anyone here planning to attend?

I'm thinking about it - will do if I can get a not-outrageous flight from the west coast.

-swiss

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 24, 2012 18:19

What a wonderful send-off.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 24, 2012 18:38

Great tribute video to Levon from CBS:
[www.cbsnews.com]

Date: April 25, 2012 05:03

swiss
tatters

4/23/2012

[image2.findagrave.com]

Are you going?

No, but I think it's really beautiful that he wanted to be buried next to Rick. That's a totally unique situation, as far as I know. I can't think of another band that has two of its members buried near each other. Not even Dennis and Carl Wilson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-25 05:12 by tatters.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 25, 2012 11:25

tatters
swiss
tatters

4/23/2012

[image2.findagrave.com]

Are you going?

No, but I think it's really beautiful that he wanted to be buried next to Rick. That's a totally unique situation, as far as I know. I can't think of another band that has two of its members buried near each other. Not even Dennis and Carl Wilson.

tatters, I know...very beautiful, and unique as far as I know too. There's a 50/50 chance I will be going - it could to be an exceptionally moving musical fun raucous occasion.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: April 25, 2012 22:41

[www.livedownloads.com]
Live Downloads have this on sale at the moment,thing is ,would it be inappropriate to buy it now or a fitting memento,presumably royalties are already sorted out

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 25, 2012 23:09

I could be wrong, but Im sure I read that Johnny Thunders and Jerry Nolan were buried alongside each other

tatters
swiss
tatters

4/23/2012

[image2.findagrave.com]

Are you going?

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: April 26, 2012 02:42

Duane Allman and Berry Oakley(Allman Brothers) are buried alongside each other at Georgia's Rose Cemetery in Macon Georgia.

Date: April 26, 2012 02:47

Floorbird
Duane Allman and Berry Oakley(Allman Brothers) are buried alongside each other at Georgia's Rose Cemetery in Macon Georgia.

[image1.findagrave.com]

Turns out that's also the cemetery where Elizabeth Reed is buried.

[www.findagrave.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-26 02:59 by tatters.

Date: April 26, 2012 03:04

letitloose
I could be wrong, but Im sure I read that Johnny Thunders and Jerry Nolan were buried alongside each other

Same cemetery. Not sure about their proximity to one another.

[www.findagrave.com];

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-26 03:05 by tatters.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 27, 2012 00:39

Levon Helm fans band together to remember musician at his Woodstock home
By The Associated Press

Busloads of friends and fans of Levon Helm traveled to his home Thursday to say goodbye to the influential singer and drummer for The Band, who died of cancer last week.

AP FILE PHOTO

Friends and fans of Helm are gathering at his Woodstock home Thursday, April 26, to say farewell to the legendary singer and drummer for The Band, who died of cancer on April 19.
The public memorial was held at the Woodstock barn where Helm held his Saturday night Midnight Ramble concerts in New York’s Hudson Valley. His closed casket, on the second floor of the barn, was surrounded by flowers and flanked by his drum kit and a piano.

Hundreds of friends, neighbors and fans filed silently past the coffin, set against a backdrop of a family photo slideshow. Nearby, family members greeted visitors.

Mourners — a crowd of mostly middle-aged people with a smattering of aging hippies and a few young people — were quietly encouraged to keep the line moving. Some carried flowers, and a few pressed handkerchiefs to their faces.

“He was an icon but also the guy next door,” said Al Caron of Woodstock as he waited outside the Woodstock Playhouse for one of the yellow school buses ferrying people to Helm’s nearby home-studio.

“He played music on the village green,” Caron said. “The Rambles were like a revival meeting. There was just a sense of euphoria from the minute you arrived at his home and he will be missed.”

After a private funeral Friday, April 26, Helm will be buried in Woodstock Cemetery next to Rick Danko, The Band’s singer and bassist who died in 1999.

Helm, Danko, Garth Hudson, Robbie Robertson and Richard Manuel’s first album as The Band was 1968’s “Music From Big Pink.” That album and its follow-up, “The Band,” remain landmark albums of the era, and songs such as “The Weight,” “Dixie Down” and “Cripple Creek” have become rock standards.

“He was my idol,” said Dan McCabe, a college student pursuing a career in music production who played in a jazz band at one of Helm’s Rambles.

Helm was found to have throat cancer in 1998. He died April 19 at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.

AP FILE PHOTO
Beth Hendrickson of Glenford, N.Y., waits to board a bus to go to a wake for musician Levon Helm at his home in Woodstock, N.Y., on Thursday, April 26.
Early on, The Band backed Bob Dylan on his electric tours of 1965-66 and collaborated with him on the legendary “Basement Tapes.” On his website last week, Dylan called Helm “one of the last true great spirits of my or any other generation.”

“He was so down to earth,” said Roland Mousaa, whose long gray hair, sequined sunglasses and tie-dye shirt under a funereal black topcoat signaled a personal history going back to the ’60s generation that also belonged to Helm. “The greatness of Levon Helm was the impact he had on people. He stood up for people.”

The son of an Arkansas cotton farmer, Helm was just out of high school when he joined rocker Ronnie Hawkins in 1957 as the drummer for the Hawks. That band eventually recruited a group of Canadian musicians who, along with Helm, would split from Hawkins, join Dylan and ultimately become The Band.

The Band bid farewell to live shows with “The Last Waltz” concert in 1976. Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and Dylan were among the stars who played the show, filmed by Martin Scorsese. “The Last Waltz” is regarded by many as the greatest of concert films, but it also helped lead to a bitter split between Robertson and Helm, once the best of friends.

The Band reunited without Robertson in the 1980s but never approached its early success.

In 2004, Helm began a series of free-wheeling Midnight Ramble shows in his barn. He recorded “Dirt Farmer” in 2007 and “Electric Dirt” in 2009. Both albums won Grammys. He won another this year for “Ramble at the Ryman.”

“He used his fame for good,” said Pat McCabe, Dan’s father. “He took time to give benefits for schools all over the area. He had a level of humanity over and above a mere rock star. Plus, he was a hell of a musician.”

[www.nola.com]

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: May 6, 2012 01:27

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 6, 2012 04:54

What a fantastic photo, thanks!

Date: May 7, 2012 21:32

Thanks for the picture mickijaggeroo.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home