Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What would you say, how would he reply? Grade yourself
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: April 15, 2012 06:55

here's how not to do it:

i was walking around soho NYC mid 80s and whipping right by me, walking
real fast, kieth and a supermodel-type blond who was NOT patty. short haired
strawberry blond. it was a hot august day, and i was in full business drag.
so i get this ridiculous idea to RUN around the HUGE block in the other
direction, to try and head em off at the pass to say hi. so i did. and so this
sweaty business-looking man, trying to be cool and casual, manages to bark out
"hey keith" and smile, to which Keith responded "hey" without pausing. but
i did get one millisecond of eye contact.

I wanted to say "hey, we go to the same shrink" but that's not exactly
something you should yell out on the street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-15 07:02 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 15, 2012 07:25

OK Max I'm not going to shy from this one just cause it's you askin.

First off, Rockman I'm down for just the Charlie Watts story, it's bound to be brief if everything we hear about the man is true. Although in person works for me, one day my friend.

What I would probably say is: (I imagine for any one of them)

Hi Keith congratulations! , Can I buy you guys a drink, man? What'll it be full bar tonight ?

His reply "Sure thanks matey, Rum and seven for me what about you love?

Patti's reply "Oh i'll have a Cosmopolitan, thanks very much" (heart melting smile)

Keith ; "I and I man well be at our table back there"

Who knows what the congratulations would be for , I'm sure whomever it was would be well deserved of it.

If it was Bill I'd probably ask if he wanted a hot cup of tea with some milk and sugar.

I mean anything to be appreciative and respectful, same as any older person whom I love and respect. If the situation wasn't cool I would not even think of approaching them without a reason. I'm not the kind of fan who would run home and get his copy of Let it Bleed and run back for an autograph. That would be any one of a number of my friends whom I would certainly disown for at least a week if they were with me at the time. LOL

peace

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 15, 2012 07:32

Naturalust
OK Max I'm not going to shy from this one just cause it's you askin.

First off, Rockman I'm down for just the Charlie Watts story, it's bound to be brief if everything we hear about the man is true. Although in person works for me, one day my friend.

What I would probably say is: (I imagine for any one of them)

Hi Keith congratulations! , Can I buy you guys a drink, man? What'll it be full bar tonight ?

His reply "Sure thanks matey, Rum and seven for me what about you love?

Patti's reply "Oh i'll have a Cosmopolitan, thanks very much" (heart melting smile)

Keith ; "I and I man well be at our table back there"

Who knows what the congratulations would be for , I'm sure whomever it was would be well deserved of it.

If it was Bill I'd probably ask if he wanted a hot cup of tea with some milk and sugar.

I mean anything to be appreciative and respectful, same as any older person whom I love and respect. If the situation wasn't cool I would not even think of approaching them without a reason. I'm not the kind of fan who would run home and get his copy of Let it Bleed and run back for an autograph. That would be any one of a number of my friends whom I would certainly disown for at least a week if they were with me at the time. LOL

peace
smileys with beerA+ smileys with beer

Date: April 15, 2012 07:36

Thanks Max. I and I peace

Date: April 15, 2012 07:40

Cheers my friend smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 15, 2012 08:36

I met Keith very briefly, shook his hand, and thanked him for all the great music.
He had a cigarette in his mouth, smiled graciously, and his reply to me was totally unintelligible.
I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. thumbs up

Date: April 15, 2012 09:00

my friend met mick at the hotel bar he worked at...told mick i was his biggest fan..mick just smiled, signed a piece of paper for my friend, shook his hand and that was that...i woulda crapped in my pants...

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: April 15, 2012 09:03

I'd ask Mick if he ever gets tired of the morons who insinuate yer a cheap tight wad. I find that quite offensive. It's usually the people who make money off of you in the first place. I'm no Wall Street Wizard mind ya but I can only imagine what a local economy does when you come to town.

My buddy went backstage in 1994 for a photo OP. His friend was a DJ or something. You know they go into a room and meet you before a show for 5 minutes. Take a picture then they split. I ask my buddy what were they like???? 20 years later I still die laughing. He says "Keith & Ronnie are exactly like you picture them. Really cool and friendly. Then Mick looks at me like I'm a flea on his ass".

My buddy behind Mick and the "flea on his ass"

Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: April 15, 2012 10:19

rockman would not have to ask any questions as the stones would be asking him where do ya source ya song lists from for the cds , and when do i get the next instalment.

rockmans reply " from the dungeon my good man, feel free to drop by and hang out for a while"

Re: How to contact Mick Jagger? What would you say, how would he reply?
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 15, 2012 11:16

Max'sKansasCity
Bliss
I would only contact him if I had something to say, either a question, or an offer of some kind. I would keep my communications free of opinion or criticism, and would make sure they were polite and well-written.

If I were dying, and wanted to send a thank-you letter to him, I would do so, and tell him how his work has enriched my life. But again, I would not offer unsolicited opinions.
A+ just for being Bliss smiling smiley

Thank you, Max, very kind. But now I'm thinking, if I want to thank Mick, why wait til the last minute? After all, he's a fair bit older than me, what if he pops his clogs first?

As far as a personal encounter would go - sadly, I fear my social skills would let me down, and I would be left speechless, grinning inanely.

Date: April 15, 2012 17:59

Bliss
Max'sKansasCity
Bliss
I would only contact him if I had something to say, either a question, or an offer of some kind. I would keep my communications free of opinion or criticism, and would make sure they were polite and well-written.

If I were dying, and wanted to send a thank-you letter to him, I would do so, and tell him how his work has enriched my life. But again, I would not offer unsolicited opinions.
A+ just for being Bliss smiling smiley

Thank you, Max, very kind. But now I'm thinking, if I want to thank Mick, why wait til the last minute? After all, he's a fair bit older than me, what if he pops his clogs first?

As far as a personal encounter would go - sadly, I fear my social skills would let me down, and I would be left speechless, grinning inanely.

They are always delighted to meet beautiful women like you Bliss. I am sure you will do quite well when the time comes and you do meet them... and your words will flow perfectly.

I must say I am impressed with everyone here, what a polite bunch of IORRers.... good for everyone.... Cheers everyonesmileys with beer

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 15, 2012 18:07

I remember me in the early 70's in the south of France looking for the Stones ( we didn't had street view back then) or an address.............i loved to meet them back then ....................but that changed .............I realty don't know what to ask them nowadays

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 15, 2012 18:44

I would ask one very original question: "A tour next year?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-15 18:45 by steffiestones.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2012 20:39

Man, it would depend on the situation. I've spent time around celebrities of varying fame. A little trick I learned was to speak to them about one of their interests if you know any. Like meeting Charlie I might ask, "You're a cricket fan aren't you? I don't understand it at all. Do you understand American baseball?" It takes the pressure off of talking about what they're known for.

Mick seems very edgy if he doesn't know you. If it was on the street I might just say, "Hey, Mick, nice to see you," and let it go at that. If it was a situation where I would be around him for a time I would let it work itself out, grabbing a moment that seems organic and natural. I'd still be nervous.

You could ask Bill if he prefers old SLRs or the new digital cameras. Ask Ronnie what painters he prefers. Keith is actually the one that flummoxes me. I'd love to have a serious conversation with him, but getting there could be difficult. I'd probably just say, "Good to see you. Hope you're back on stage, soon."

You never know what you're going to get when you meet a celebrity. Some are distant a-holes, some try to make everyone around them relax. A celebrity the level of a Rolling Stone is not going to be easy to get to as a 'civilian' in any kind of natural setting. But I would suggest if you find yourself in that situation to take a deep breath and be who you are. The chance may never come again.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 16, 2012 01:00

Mick expressed admiration for the architect Santiago Calatrava in ACCORDING TO THE ROLLING STONES (Mick mentioned Calatrava's bridges in regards to Mick's brainstorming about the set for the Bridges to Babylon tour). When I was hired to design a hotel a few years ago, the head of the project told me "Look over some Calatrava buildings before you start your design." So I'd probably bring that up to Mick, which might spark an actual conversation. Just to avoid a cliche "I'm a big fan" comment.

Date: April 16, 2012 01:19

Title5Take1
..... When I was hired to design a hotel a few years ago, the head of the project told me "Look over some Calatrava buildings before you start your design.".....

Whoa... no small request...

[www.google.com] ..... I wonder... what did the hotel wind up looking like?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-16 01:20 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 16, 2012 03:04

If I only got three words with Mick, they would not express gratitude, nor
solidarity with most others here, but instead be entirely selfish...

"Please more SuperHeavy"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 16, 2012 03:46

Elmo: Let's compare todgers for $100.

Elmo: Pay up, suckers, you lose.

Mick and Keith in harmony: It's only rock and roll.

Date: April 16, 2012 04:06

Elmo Lewis
Elmo: Let's compare todgers for $100.

Elmo: Pay up, suckers, you lose.

Mick and Keith in harmony: It's only rock and roll.
LOL

A+

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: April 16, 2012 05:02

We speak to them every time we post here. They speak back to us through their press releases, etc. I am tired of words (including my own) and am only interested in action, in the form of a new album and a few live performances. Even I am tiring of their soap opera.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 16, 2012 09:07

>>>Mick seems very edgy if he doesn't know you.

Considering he walks around with two bodyguards, I'd say he is very edgy.

But in a French article Sway posted, apparently he is much more relaxed in his village in France.

His addresses in London and Paris are known, but his appearances there are unpredictable. If someone really wanted to meet him - not just see him on the street - I think Mustique in the winter or Pocé-sur-Cisse in summer would be their best bet. Some investment would be required. Another good bet would be L'Wren's shows, and it would not be completely impossible to get an invitation to the after party.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: April 16, 2012 09:15

once in Paris in the 80's (can't remember when it was exactly) close to quartier St-Michel, I recognized Mick Jagger who was walking in front of me.
I must be honest, I was very impressed and hesitated to get next to him but finally did and asked him politely in French : "bonjour, excusez moi de vous déranger mais êtes vous Mick Jagger ? (hello, sorry to bother you but are you Mick Jagger ?
he answered in French with his delicious accent : "oui je suis Mick Jagger mais s'il vous plait ne le dites à personne" (yes I am Mick Jagger but please don't you repeat it !"
it was hard to recognize him cos he had a hat and glasses on but as a fan I could not mistake. Noone around seemed to recognize him.
I did not dare ask him for an autograph and had no pen and no paper for that.
Pity for me.

If I was to see him today somewhere in Paris, I would ask him : "hello Mr Jagger, we once met in Paris some 30 years ago close to St-Michel, I was quite impressed, you probably don't remember do you ?
maybe he would answer : oh sure I do, I hope you did not repeat it !!

Date: April 16, 2012 10:56

Bliss
If someone really wanted to meet him - not just see him on the street - I think Mustique in the winter or Pocé-sur-Cisse in summer would be their best bet. Some investment would be required. Another good bet would be L'Wren's shows, and it would not be completely impossible to get an invitation to the after party.

Trinidad. Queen's Park Oval. Now. Hurry.

(Sadly not in NYC writing with Keith for the upcoming recording session)

[www.abc.net.au]

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 16, 2012 17:15

Bliss

LOL ,Bliss .
You made my day smiling smiley

I always thought that if one day I was to meet Jagger , I would act very "distant" ,would look at him right into the eyes ," Good morning Mr Jagger ,my name is A.L ,I am very pleased to meet you ...etc
well,the way I behave with men usually but to be honest ,I think I would have the same kind of behaviour you describe :-)

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: April 16, 2012 17:20

Bliss
But in a French article Sway posted, apparently he is much more relaxed in his village in France.

Yes, you are absolutely right,Bliss .

One of my friend is the friend of Jagger's gardener at Pocé-sur -Cisse .
He told me that Jagger -when he stays there - can be seen in the area with L Wren ,riding his bike, most of the time without his bodyguards .

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: April 16, 2012 21:02

Hey Max...fun thread! (I couldn't reply on the weekend - I was on an iPad and kept mistyping!)...this is a bit more robust than called for but here goes:
My Day With Keith

It’s warm and the water is sparkling on Cape Cod…
It’s a day when dreams come true…
We’re walking along our beach when we spot Keith and Patti on their sailboat and bid them welcome.
Keith is wearing one of his great hats
Patti, as always, looks charming
They moor their boat and follow us to our place
We hang out in our yard, sipping champagne…my daughter comes down and is amazed to see her mother’s idol here, in the flesh! She’s charmed by Keith’s humor and kindness. Patti is wonderful to her and asks if I mind if she takes her on a little shopping spree…fine with me…

I have some champagne for my birthday party which is tomorrow, so Keith and I crack another bottle and chat about animals (his French bull dogs and my Corgi…our rescue cats)…and then move onto tennis…Wimbledon is underway so we debate the merits of Nadal’s force against Federer's grace…
…I have whipped up some beef stroganoff – turns out to be an undisclosed favorite of Keith’s…we sip an excellent Bordeaux
Patti and my daughter return – low and behold, Patti has managed in just a couple of hour to instill a sense of fashion in my child. Child comes down the stairs wearing A DRESS!
We applaud!
Husband & Keith become fast friends – discussing their shared interests in boating and weapons – Keith is warm and entertaining…
We laugh, drink, listen to the blues, and dance into the wee hours
Keith and Patti must leave, they sail off as the sun rises over Nantucket Sound.
I just spent the most amazing prelude to a birthday ever…
We live happily ever after. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
REALITY
Hot, sweaty, day in NYC, I’m standing on the corner of Avenue A and Houston…my dog slips out of her lead (she always does this on Avenue A – don’t ask me why)…I see KR pass by with body guard – I open my mouth but nothing comes out. By the time I gain my composure, the chance is gone...sad smiley

Date: April 17, 2012 13:22

Nice one Cats! I'm tempted to rent a sailing yacht in Nantucket harbour and sail your way dressed as Keith....HAPPY BIRTHDAY hope it was a good one honey!

well,the way I behave with men usually but to be honest -SwayStones quote

Honestly A-L, It's how you misbehave with men that is surely more interesting. lol peace

Date: April 17, 2012 14:40

Naturalust

Honestly A-L, It's how you misbehave with men that is surely more interesting. lol peace

I am not sure of what you mean by "misbehave" ,Naturalust confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-17 14:49 by SwayStones.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 17, 2012 15:38

It depends on the time you could spend with them. If it's only a meet & greet thing you cannot say more than Hello. But if you spent more time you could just talk to them like with anyone else.

I once met Mick Taylor and we had a very normal conversation, more than the 'Thanks man, you're great' thing. I found him a very friendly man, and if a friend of mine would not have pulled me away because he got nervous about meeting such a star at a coffeetable we would have gone on talking.

I could imagine talking with Bill Wyman all night long because he knows so much about the Stones legacy, about arts and music. So what would be the problem?

If I meet prominent people of any kind and it is more than the occasional Hello I talk to them like to anyone else.

Date: April 17, 2012 20:19

SwayStones
Naturalust

I am not sure of what you mean by "misbehave" ,Naturalust confused smiley

Not exactly sure what I meant Sway, sometimes we write like we talk, without a whole lot of thought about it and sometimes it comes out a bit awkward like this one obviously did. What I likely meant was doing things with men that were not in the status quo or generally accepted as "good" behaviour.

Things like hoping on a plane to Hawaii and hanging out with an old friend when you should have been going to school, or maybe drinking whiskey when you know whiskey makes you forget what you did. Misbehaving is like a light form of rebellion. Rebellion from family, rebellion from your normal friends, rebellion from the rules of the IORR board perhaps. Not necessarily sexual which may have been inferred by my simplicity of words and peoples constant reference to that. I hope you understand, no disrespect intended, I assure you. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-19 01:56 by Naturalust.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home