Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT..1912...TITANIC...2012
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 16, 2012 21:32

Lee , another version of Ruthie Foster's song :
The Sacred Shakers .

Date: April 16, 2012 21:47

Titanic

(Hans Theessink)
That night it all started when the ship began to shake
We were filled with amazement - a little shocked but not afraid
We didn't really understand what caused the water to come in
We had been told this mighty ocean-liner "even god himself couldn't sink"

You took a picture of our child - your hat and your jewelry
And we put on some warm clothes because we thought it might be cold at sea
When we left our cabin we noticed how the water started pouring in
Was it a tear or maybe just a drop of water on your chin

Titanic, Titanic, so proud and so free
Will your grandeur protect us from the cold icy sea

We followed some white arrows with a lifeboat-sign
We had to go onto the first-class deck but no one seemed to mind
Despite the strange situation we all took it quite with ease
Only one of the third-class passengers was behaving foolishly

We talked to a gentleman that we'd met earlier on
He introduced us to his wife - he introduced us to his son
Then the captain said that the lifeboats could not be lowered down
I believe it was because some chains of the hoist could not be found

Titanic, Titanic, so proud and so free ...

We were all invited for a free drink at the bar
We drank to the empire and to good health for us all
The ship was leaning to one side - we felt it sinking quietly
We decided to stay together on board - though many people jumped into the sea

Then the rats left the ship to try and find dry land
But we stayed close together and held each others hand
It was midnight on the water - we could hear the ocean roar
In the lifeboats that were lowered down - there was no room for us anymore

Not a helping hand around in this cold cold night
An iceberg disappearing into the distant morning light
We're watching the last lifeboat as it slowly lowers down
There's many men, women and children left behind - not a helping hand around

Not a helping hand around - not a helping hand around
There's many men, women and children left behind - not a helping hand around

Now the members of the band struck up with "nearer my god to thee"
Somehow banal but in the vain of our time and century
By now we have lost our last tiny bit of hope
We're all going down while the flag is going up

Date: April 16, 2012 21:47

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 17, 2012 03:46

Didn't see this thread earlier. I had an opportunity 25 years ago to meet a survivor and listen to her speak about the sinking for some 2 hours. She was 7 years old in 1912 and had very clear memories of the ship sinking, in which her father perished. To the end she could not look at any image of the sinking. Afterwards she and her mother returned to England to live (they had been emigrating) and seldom spoke of it. Many years later, she was flying to Canada over the north Atlantic, and the captain announced that they were flying over a field of icebergs. Her seat mate asked her why she wasn't looking -she replied "I've seen one." A few years after meeting her, I had the opportunity to visit the cemetery in Halifax where 121 victims were buried, including an unidentified 3-year-old, and a crew member whose tombstone bore the words that it had been paid for by J. Bruce Ismay (the owner of the White Star Line who shamefully threw himself in a lifeboat and died in disgrace). The latter took a lot of gall, especially since the Line stopped paying the crew effective 2:20 am when the ship sank, and asked some families of lost crew to pay for the lost uniforms. The sinking was a mighty disaster, now a lesson in hubris.

Date: April 17, 2012 14:42

Touching story ,SomeTorontoGirl.

Pity the TV & medias make business with the tragedy .

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 17, 2012 18:25

I wonder if the 1198 people who died on this ship during WW1 will be remembered in a few years time?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: April 17, 2012 20:59

SwayStones
Touching story ,SomeTorontoGirl.

Pity the TV & medias make business with the tragedy .
Actually, the public broadcasting system here in the U.S. has done a very classy job at remembering the event and presenting some stirring footage and stories. Last night was Words of the Titanic, which was done by actors reading actual accounts of the last hours of the vessel. It was a moving portrait of the survivors.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 17, 2012 21:42

A journalist friend from east London had the luck to interview one of the last remaining survivors Mrs Eva Hart from Ilford, London back in the 80s at a theatre production about the sinking of the ship.
Mrs Hart was already in her 70s then and was rescued with her mother while her father drowned.
Anyway, my friend, in a moment of absolute stupidness - I won't mention her name but it's Kim, heh heh - bought Eva a drink and shouted across the bar 'would you like ice with that!' The joke didn't go down very well.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 17, 2012 23:42

Silver Dagger
....Anyway, my friend, in a moment of absolute stupidness - I won't mention her name but it's Kim, heh heh - bought Eva a drink and shouted across the bar 'would you like ice with that!' The joke didn't go down very well.
[instantrimshot.com]

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 26, 2013 10:57

A replica of the Titanic has been confirmed for its maiden voyage in 2016,with some potential passengers offering $1 million for a chance to sail on the ship.The ship is currently being constructed in China and will reportedly look exactly like the Titanic from the exterior.It's also believed parts of the interior will be recreated to look like the original ship.
Titanic 11's first voyage will aim to follow the same route its namesake planned from Southampton to New York,via Cobh in Ireland.
Clive Palmer an Australian tycoon is behind the Titanic 11 project.

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 26, 2013 11:16

There is a little possibilty that a surviver from the ship is still among us..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 26, 2013 11:21

There is a little possibilty that a surviver from the ship is still among us..

[www.nbcnews.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: February 26, 2013 11:26

grinning smiley Yeah, but you never know...I heard that guys cerving the military in world war 1 still have their meetings....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 26, 2013 11:31

colonial
A replica of the Titantic has been confirmed for its maiden voyage in 2016,with some potential passengers offering $1 million for a chance to sail on the ship.The ship is currently being constructed in China and will reportly look exactly like the Titantic from the exterior.It's also believed parts of the interior will be recreated to look like the orginal ship.
Clive Palmer an Australian tycoon is behind the Titantic 11 project.

Titanic II will also sink on its maiden voyage across the Atlantic. It will break in two in the middle of the ocean when the water gets ice-cold--because it was made in China. The overlong racing-yacht design of the original Olympic-class White Star ocean liner made it a floating liability by virtue of its design [i.e., inability to maneuver around objects in its path, breaking in two from the pressure of listing at an angle]--add to this cheap labor and materials and you are courting disaster.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 26, 2013 13:41

stonehearted
colonial
A replica of the Titantic has been confirmed for its maiden voyage in 2016,with some potential passengers offering $1 million for a chance to sail on the ship.The ship is currently being constructed in China and will reportly look exactly like the Titantic from the exterior.It's also believed parts of the interior will be recreated to look like the orginal ship.

Titanic II will also sink on its maiden voyage across the Atlantic. It will break in two in the middle of the ocean when the water gets ice-cold--because it was made in China. The overlong racing-yacht design of the original Olympic-class White Star ocean liner made it a floating liability by virtue of its design [i.e., inability to maneuver around objects in its path, breaking in two from the pressure of listing at an angle]--add to this cheap labor and materials and you are courting disaster.

i would like some info on this photo please?

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 26, 2013 14:28

colonial
A replica of the Titanic has been confirmed for its maiden voyage in 2016,with some potential passengers offering $1 million for a chance to sail on the ship.The ship is currently being constructed in China and will reportedly look exactly like the Titanic from the exterior.It's also believed parts of the interior will be recreated to look like the original ship.
Titanic 11's first voyage will aim to follow the same route its namesake planned from Southampton to New York,via Cobh in Ireland.
Clive Palmer an Australian tycoon is behind the Titanic 11 project.

I hope they don't recreate it down to EVERY last detail, like the number of lifeboats for instance.

There's really no reason to launch it, 75% of people probably just want their picture taken standing at the bow with their arms outstretched. You can do that in port.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: February 26, 2013 17:30

Sorry if this has been sunken before.

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: February 26, 2013 22:55

anyone remember that old song, 'The Ballad Of The USS Titanic' by Jamie Brockett???
It came out in the late 60's-haven't heard it in years. It used to be a staple on late-night FM stations back in the day.....way back in the day!!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 26, 2013 22:58

TheGreek
stonehearted
colonial

Coloured from B&W original of the original Titantic and her sister ship Olympic.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 26, 2013 23:21

TheGreek
stonehearted
colonial

The above photo is a colorized version of one of a series of pictures taken of the Olympic and Titanic together at the Harland and Wolff shipyards of Belfast, Ireland, in March 1912. In the above photo, Titanic's sister ship Olympic, which entered service in 1911, is shown on the left, while the finishing touches are being put on the Titanic, which is shown on the right. Another view of the two ships is shown below. In that photo, Olympic is shown on the right, having been moved into Titanic's fitting-out wharf, whereas Titanic, on the left, is being maneuvered into Thomson Graving Dock. The date is 6 March 1912.

Ironically, the appearance of Olympic at the Belfast shipyards would directly result in the sinking of Titanic. In February 1912 during a voyage from New York, Olympic threw a propeller blade in the mid-Atlantic, requiring the ship to be docked in Belfast for repairs. To get Olympic back into service as quickly as possible, a propeller blade was taken from Titanic. This would mean a 3-week delay of Titanic's maiden voyage, which was originally scheduled for 20 March, to 10 April, by which time an unusual southerly shift in the Labrador current brought the crucial iceberg--already 2 years old--further south into the regular trans-Atlantic shipping lanes, as well as protected it from melting.

You can still see the red paint from Titanic's hull along the base of the iceberg the ship collided with.

Had Titanic sailed as scheduled on 20 March, the maiden voyage would have gone through without incident.

Olympic arriving in New York on her maiden voyage, June 1911.

Olympic fitted out for service in World War I as a troop carrier.

British Pathe film reel footage of Titanic.

To get a better idea of what Titanic was really like, these film clips from 1920 of her older sister ship Olympic feature an extensive look through the ship's interior.

Titanic's other sister ship, Britannic, shown as a hospital ship in World War I.

Artist's image of Britannic sinking off the coast of Kea of the Aegean Islands at 8:12 a.m. on 21 November 1916 after having struck a land mine. The wreck was discovered in 1975 by Jacques Cousteau.

Image of Britannic on the sea floor, rendered from the Robert Ballard explorations of the site.

A diver visits the wreck of the Britannic.

Interior photo from the wreck of the Britannic, a spiral staircase in the ship's bow used by the crew for access in and out of the upper deck.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-03 01:46 by stonehearted.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 27, 2013 07:25

Max'sKansasCity
SweetThing
Imagine if the Hindenburg had blown up ON the Titanic! Wow.. what a movie that would be!!

HOOOWLLLLLLOLING!!!!!
That is the best idea today... since the drama button

Somebody get Hollywood on the phone.... we have the blockbuster hit of 2013!

..Hindenburg Versus Titanic
The Untold Story You Must See!!!

How about they stack the Twin Towers on top fora bonus?

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 27, 2013 08:14

Laughingsam
It's always held my interest. The story of a "perfect ship" built for wealthy Victorians by visionary industrialists, and then something went wrong and all those people perished together...

I do appreciate the way the 100th anniversary has been covered in the press. I think it's important to remember the limitations of technology, craft, and training regardless of the era, because something can always go wrong. There are a lot of guys I serve with that place too much faith in our technological superiority and training, and they foolishly forget about the terrain -- nature's elements that can easily overcome our man-made hubris.

Amen. We got a recent reminder with a meteor caught on film and an asteroid as close some satlites that would have obliterated major cities and environs.

Date: February 27, 2013 12:41

shipbuilding - Elvis Costello
Ship arriving too late to save the drowning witch - Frank Zappa

recomended songs on the theme...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: April 2, 2014 21:15

Wow...look what I found down in the murky depths of this forum. This is a great thread. I just love reading about the Titanic; it just never ceases to fascinate me..especially all of the photos. It was such a beautiful ship...such a shame. Despite all of the myths and stories, I adamantly refuse to believe that Godzilla was responsible for the sinking!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 2, 2014 22:20

Bellajane
Wow...look what I found down in the murky depths of this forum. This is a great thread. I just love reading about the Titanic; it just never ceases to fascinate me..especially all of the photos. It was such a beautiful ship...such a shame. Despite all of the myths and stories, I adamantly refuse to believe that Godzilla was responsible for the sinking!

When in Vegas, check out the "Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition" at the Luxor. Was there a couple of years ago (bring a sweater) and recommend it highly! And, don't remember them mentioning Godzilla at all...

[www.vegas.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 2, 2014 22:55

People should have more respect for the sea. The sea gives, and the sea takes. Old Norwegian saying.

There have been so many fatal accidents with ships over the years. For some reason Titanic is more interesting. May be because they said it could never sink, because it was the biggest passanger ship on the first trip etc.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Doña Paz – On 20 December 1987, the passenger ferry collided with the oil tanker Vector in the Tablas Strait, near Marinduque. The resulting fire and sinking left an estimated 4,341 dead.

Kiangya – The passenger steamship blew up and sank in the mouth of the Huangpu River 50 mi (80 km) south of Shanghai on 4 December 1948. The suspected cause of the explosion was Kiangya hitting a mine left behind by the Imperial Japanese Navy in World War II. The exact death toll is unknown, however, it is thought that between 2,750 and 3,920 died.

RMS Titanic – A passenger ocean liner and, at the time, the world's largest ship. On 14 April 1912, on her maiden voyage, she struck an iceberg, buckling part of her hull and causing her to sink in the early hours of 15 April. 706 of her 2,223 passengers and crew survived. I.e. 1,517 died.

Bjornulf

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 2, 2014 23:14

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-08 20:53 by colonial.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 3, 2014 00:55

Interesting stuff indeed in this thread.

I'll add one more Titanic song, a tune Lead Belly performed with another giant, Blind Lemon Jefferson, during the 10's. The song is based on the idea that Jack Johnson, the first black heavy-weight champion, was refused for racial reasons, luckily, to get onboard. Well, a good story, and even true, even though the ship in question was not Titanic... But damn that line "Jack Johnson wanted to ge on boa'd, Captain Smith hollered, "I ain' haulin' no coal" is a tough one...

THE TITANIC, written by Lead Belly

Captain Smith, when he got his load
Mighta heared him holl'in', All aboa'd
Cryin', Fare thee, Titanic, fare thee well.

Jack Johnson wanted to ge on boa'd;
Captain Smith hollered, "I ain' haulin' no coal."

It was midnight on the sea,
Band playin', "Nearer My God to Thee."

Had them lifeboats aroun'
, Savin' the women, lettin' the men go down.

When the women got out on land,
Cryin', "Lawd, have mercy on my man."

Jack Johnson heard the mighty shock,
Mighta seen the black rascal doin' the Eagle Rock.

Black man oughta shout for joy,
Never lost a girl or either a boy.

Here is Lead Belly perferming it in Lomax sessions, years later:

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-03 00:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 3, 2014 01:37

Slightly OT, but all this talk about shipwrecks made me think of pirate songs...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 3, 2014 02:07

One great outtake by Chief Hendrix:

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2252
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home