Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 14
Re: Is SLAVE the best stones song since 1980?
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 22, 2013 13:59

I love that song too. I love Keith riffs on that one, he revisits Honk Tonk Woman licks. Mick is outrageous of course and Charlie keeps that beat simple and dirty.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 22, 2013 16:08

TheGreek
damn i love this tune , i wish the stones would have done this track live that would have been killer!!!!!!!

Yeah, I know they have a deep catalogue and haven't done several worthy tunes, but this one seems like a no brainer, hard to mess up nasty jam.

Would have killed it onstage.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 22, 2013 16:52

treaclefingers
hard to mess up nasty jam.

It's even harder to get that jam right!

There's no way the Stones can ever sound so funky and groovy again as in Slave. Charlie can't play the drums like that anymore, Preston is dead, you would need a fantastic percussionist, and I doubt Keith remembers much about the riff, and especially the middle 8 section would probably be too difficult for him to play these days.

Mathijs

Date: February 22, 2013 16:57

Mathijs
treaclefingers

There's no way the Stones can ever sound so funky and groovy again as in Slave. Charlie can't play the drums like that anymore, Preston is dead, you would need a fantastic percussionist, and I doubt Keith remembers much about the riff, and especially the middle 8 section would probably be too difficult for him to play these days.

Mathijs

Doit, Doit, Doit, Doit, Do-aaaat

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 22, 2013 18:32

- And they dare not do it live. It would have bored the nostalgia people,
- the "radio" and "party" fans.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 22, 2013 19:24

noughties
- And they dare not do it live. It would have bored the nostalgia people,
- the "radio" and "party" fans.

Like if there's something wrong with them.....
and like if you are so much better. You're just a freak just the rest of us here. Lucky partyfans, I'd say! and at the same time: lucky fancypants

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: February 22, 2013 20:24

The best RS song is "One More Shot" and that since 2012.

I'm waiting since then for more good songs by them.

Date: February 22, 2013 21:30

Ladykiller
The best RS song is "One More Shot" and that since 2012.

I'm waiting since then for more good songs by them.

The best song since 2012 is Doom and Gloom, with One More Shot a close second.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 23, 2013 01:09

Mathijs
treaclefingers

Its a simple, mindless, by the numbers tune. Another crap tune from te 80s.

Mathijs

Date: June 14, 2013 00:56

We need Slave now, more than ever.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 15, 2013 10:51

This is good but I like Must be Hell.

Date: November 24, 2013 18:34

With all the Black and Blue talk lately, and how 'Slave' should have been placed on that album, I thought I'd resurrect this.

Man this is a good song...something this good never played in concert?

Unfathomable.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: November 24, 2013 19:09

Best played loud in the morning on the way to work. Great 'wake-me-up' song...never get tired listening to it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 24, 2013 20:28

No. No it's not.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 24, 2013 21:14

treaclefingers
With all the Black and Blue talk lately, and how 'Slave' should have been placed on that album, I thought I'd resurrect this.

Man this is a good song...something this good never played in concert?

Unfathomable.

No. TOO good to play in concert.

Date: November 25, 2013 01:14

The attempt we heard on the 4 Flicks DVD tells me that it's a good decision to let this one have a permanent rest...

Date: November 25, 2013 02:00

DandelionPowderman
The attempt we heard on the 4 Flicks DVD tells me that it's a good decision to let this one have a permanent rest...

Maybe you're right, maybe doesn't work in concert, in my mind like IORR. I just've never liked as much as the studio version.

Date: November 25, 2013 03:03

Some songs should be left alone. With exception to the 1969 live version they've never played JJF worth a damn live. Yet they've done pretty good renditions of SFM over the years, especially on the LICKS tour.

Slave would not translate live, just like Sway didn't and a few others didn't. It's best left alone.

Date: November 25, 2013 04:11

GasLightStreet
Some songs should be left alone. With exception to the 1969 live version they've never played JJF worth a damn live. Yet they've done pretty good renditions of SFM over the years, especially on the LICKS tour.

Slave would not translate live, just like Sway didn't and a few others didn't. It's best left alone.

Yes, Rocks Off as well...much as I love the studio version.

Date: November 26, 2013 02:50

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Another one they've never done well is Heartbreaker!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 26, 2013 02:59

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Another one they've never done well is Heartbreaker!

Disagree.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 26, 2013 03:04

no

Date: November 26, 2013 03:19

More Hot Rocks
no

Methinks thou doth protest too much

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 26, 2013 04:07

StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade
Slave is a great song from a great album. I like all periods of the Stones. Other great songs from around that time are Highwire and Love Is Strong. Some great stuff off Bridges To Babylon as well, which I didn't like at first but has aged very well. Even Bigger Bang gets better with every listen. There's only one track that i always skip immediately, Moon Is Up.

Well, there are a group of songs that fit within the 'skip immediately' list unfortunately, and Moon Is Up is right up there. Infamy comes to mind, Already Over Me, Biggest Mistake, Streets of Love, YGMR, oh...there are lots.

there's a great shortcut to skipping these songs: don't play voodoo lounge, bridges to babylon and bigger bang. you'll save all kinds of time on skipping.

wot, next your going to say the last 3 decades have been a creatively uninspiring period for the band. oh, merry Christmas!

hey! it's not just been that and you know it. it's been been vapid on the creative front, but the last three decades have been highly lucrative for them. when you can combine vapid creativity with profitability, you've really discovered something. so quit yer bellyaching.
hey ole buddy.back from exile!!!!!!!

yeah, there used to be a greek guy here years ago but he didn't look anything like you.
it's me .i am back ! i ran into BV at the pay per view show in Newark and i got everything worked out and now i am back !!!!!!!!!!!!

did you have plastic surgery or something???
no i was on a break.i thought i was out and then came the barclay's center on the 12/8/12 and then we were in newark for the pay per view 12/15/12 ,what a miracle ya know .i was at the love for levon benefit.i am kinda of a doughting thomas .a very reliable source tells us oh yeah the stones are coming (i am like ya right)and they are also playing Brooklyn.so i did not believe anything .then the next thing the stones come barreling like a steam locomotive rolling down the tracks (he's gone and nothing gonna bring him back he's gone steal your face right what a second that is Jerry )so now the stones have pulled me right back in !!!!!

what an adventure you've had. most of us have just been sitting here wallowing in our own misery and obesity.
from time to time i get the blues also.i am not exempt from that !

mick jagger sometimes sings the blues, but he never gets them. he's too white and rich. and keith never gets them either cos he's just happy to be anywhere and stuff.
Wut?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 26, 2013 05:02

No.

But switch this out for Melody on Black & Blue and you have a whole new ballgame with that album.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 26, 2013 07:31

No. It was recorded in 1975, i.e., before 1980, and was widely bootlegged long before its official release in 1981 on Tattoo You. Real nice groove, but it ain't much of an actual song. But swap it and Worried About You for Cherry Oh Baby and Melody or Fool to Cry on Black and Blue, and you've got a much better album!

Date: November 26, 2013 08:39

ab
No. It was recorded in 1975, i.e., before 1980, and was widely bootlegged long before its official release in 1981 on Tattoo You. Real nice groove, but it ain't much of an actual song. But swap it and Worried About You for Cherry Oh Baby and Melody or Fool to Cry on Black and Blue, and you've got a much better album!

Get over yourself, Loving Cup is from 68, and it was on Exile 5 years later.

I also like how people say it's not much of a song, but it's better than this or that song, and it would improve Black and Blue.

You're making my point!

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: November 26, 2013 09:57

GasLightStreet
With exception to the 1969 live version they've never played JJF worth a damn live. Yet they've done pretty good renditions of SFM over the years, especially on the LICKS tour.

Sorry but SFM on the Licks tour is to the original what JJF since the seventies is to the original. Harder rocking, sharper guitars.

I like them all.

Date: November 26, 2013 16:39

Limbostone
GasLightStreet
With exception to the 1969 live version they've never played JJF worth a damn live. Yet they've done pretty good renditions of SFM over the years, especially on the LICKS tour.

Sorry but SFM on the Licks tour is to the original what JJF since the seventies is to the original. Harder rocking, sharper guitars.

I like them all.

Well you may like them all but they've just plowed through JJF ever since the 1969 tour, sharper guitars and harder rocking aside from the point. On the early 70s tours they played it even faster but it still cut through. Since 75, they've played it like they're shovelling snow off a sidewalk - slog slog slog. No dynamics, no swagger, going through the motions 'singing'. Hard rocking and sharp guitars don't help the 'hurry up and get through this oh wait let's play it for TEN MORE MINUTES' performance.

But whatever. SFM on GYYYO is exceptional. SFM from LIVE LICKS or better yet the Madison Square Garden PPV on FOUR FLICKS is almost as good. The worst they ever played SFM was on the Urban Jungle tour. It was too... it was obscenely weak.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: November 26, 2013 16:42

No, the best song since 1980 isn't Slave.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home