Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT- Junk Guitars
Date: April 9, 2012 13:17

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-02 09:30 by StonesMi5Interceptors1.

Re: OT- Junk Guitars
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 9, 2012 18:46

Strange question. I would not own a guitar I thought was junk.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 9, 2012 19:23

I've had a few "junk" guitars.

Only real junk was a terrible Chinese 90's Squier Strat (not like the fantastic 80's Japanese Squier strats).

Good "junk" was a Squier 51 - fabulous guitar - Squier's own original design - cost £115 - neck was brilliant.

Also Squier "Jagmaster" - again their own take on a cross between a Jaguar and a Jazzmaster - sunburst - nice.

Some "junk" is good if you are lucky - don't listen to snobs.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: April 9, 2012 19:26

Never would buy a guitar that was "junk" nor would I take one it were given to me. What would be the point?

Date: April 9, 2012 19:45

A lot of junk guitars can be made into nice guitars.

If you have a reasonable neck without twists then a fret level and dress, nut tweaking (now now) and proper truss rod adjustment - maybe new pickups but not always necessary.

I had a thinline SX telecaster that I turned into something really nice to play. I had to work on it mind.

I had a Fender Mex Tele that was shocking - I got it cheap on ebay (I did wonder why), the strings were on the fretboard edge, the neck didn't sit in the pocket correctly, the nut string spacing was too wide. Sorted it all out - a bit of carpentry on the neck pocket, a new bone nut, a fret level and dress - and now I love it.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 9, 2012 19:51

I have a "junk yard" of guitar parts.... bodies.... necks.... a blank...
pickups... left overs from back when... it is all cool... but incomplete.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: April 9, 2012 20:12

I bought a couple of really shit guitars off ebay a few years ago. They were all unknown (or now forgotten) makes. I did massive work on all of them which is why i bought them. I scalloped the neck on one, turned one into a lap steel. The only one that was properly junk was a shortscale bass which i took massive delight in smashing onstage at a wedding, don't think that was what the happy couple had really ordered.....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 9, 2012 20:28

I have an Eko 12-string that would be the closest thing to "junk", but it actually has its charms.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 9, 2012 21:37

Thought it was about well-known rock-junkies and what guitar they mostly used...grinning smiley.Thunders always had his yellow Gibson, or a brown SG...or....or...

2 1 2 0

Date: April 9, 2012 21:54

Did rumors say that some of the guitars that "disappeared" from Nellcote were actually taken(given) by(to) drug dealers to pay for H consumed.... and as such.... could/would they be considered "Junk Guitars"?

Date: April 9, 2012 23:13

Bought a mexi-tele from a coworker back in 2008 for $250, and he didn't play it hardly at all, and I can see why. Useless neck pick-up, and the action was as high as hell. One neck adjustment, and one humbucker pick-up (Keef-style) later, and it sounds great for mimicking Keith, which I do regularly.

Date: April 10, 2012 00:47

x

THE STONES Mi5 INTERCEPTOR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-02 09:05 by TheStonesMi5Interceptor.

Date: April 10, 2012 09:24

Bill's fretless bass is the ultimate "junk" guitar.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 10, 2012 14:04

to add to the collection:

bought this for a song at a pawn shop. a fine Vantage from the 80's, with Grover tuners, active EMG pickup and a nasty bright sound

took off the low E and tuned to open G of course

love it, through an old Fender Concert 60

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 10, 2012 17:25

A friend of mine (who was briefly in the majors) won a "Batman" guitar at Six Flags playing some kind of pitching game and passed it my way. It is hideous with Batman logos all over it. No brand name is mentioned anywhere on it, but there is a big sticker on the neck that says, almost proudly, "Made In China". Horrible thing. Doesnt sound too bad, but stays in tune for about 15 seconds.

I'm thinking of modding it up but I doubt any decent parts would fit this monstrocity! Sorry I don't have a picture, but you are probly better off that I don't!

Ross

Date: April 10, 2012 19:07

Ross
A friend of mine (who was briefly in the majors) won a "Batman" guitar at Six Flags playing some kind of pitching game and passed it my way. It is hideous with Batman logos all over it. No brand name is mentioned anywhere on it, but there is a big sticker on the neck that says, almost proudly, "Made In China". Horrible thing. Doesnt sound too bad, but stays in tune for about 15 seconds.

I'm thinking of modding it up but I doubt any decent parts would fit this monstrocity! Sorry I don't have a picture, but you are probly better off that I don't!

Ross

Cool story and great reason to be owning a "junker". It may be best to not do a thing with it, and in 20 years, some Batman fan will buy it from you for $20,000.... AS LONG as it is in original condition.

Love to see a pic if you ever take one...
Heck I would love to see more pics on thread period.

Posted by: JunkyardAlleyCat ()
Date: April 23, 2012 06:01

Max'sKansasCity

I could spend all day looking through Junkyards like that.It sounds like "Junkyard Heaven"

Date: April 26, 2012 11:32

JunkyardAlleyCat
Max'sKansasCity

I could spend all day looking through Junkyards like that.It sounds like "Junkyard Heaven"
Me too... I will share a couple... lets see if anyone else does...

Posted by: JunkyardAlleyCat ()
Date: April 26, 2012 12:12

Max'sKansasCity
JunkyardAlleyCat
Max'sKansasCity

thumbs up

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: April 26, 2012 21:00

I own a few cheap guitars. I had alot of MIM Fenders and Epiphones at one time and decided I'd been playing long enough and was good enough to upgrade my gear so I started to get rid of most of the cheap stuff and replaced it with MIA Fender's (AVRI '57 Strat, CS Time Machine '56 Strat) and a Gibson ES-335. I did however decide to keep two Epiphones and one MIM standard Strat, all of which I've modified (new pickups,pots, new Warmoth neck on the Strat). I do have a Squier Mustang (I think) bass that was given to me as a gift along with this awful Samick guitar. I wanted the bass but didn't care anything about the Samick and it was in horrible condition anyway so I took all the hardware off of it. I guess that's the only true junk guitar I've got.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 26, 2012 21:09

Max'sKansasCity
JunkyardAlleyCat
Max'sKansasCity

Very cool Max! LOVE the tiger striped maple blocks on the wall. Sweet! I have a boatload of $300 guitars but none of them are junk. I try to fix em up so they are all playable for one type of song or another. I too have necks and bodies around but mostly spares for the guitars that are in my arsenal. My favorite guitars are pawn shop specials that come to life with a little tender loving care!

Besides it's all in the fingers. I can make most junk guitars talk to you like they are Paul Reed smith's.. lol peace

Date: April 26, 2012 23:05

Naturalust
Very cool Max! LOVE the tiger striped maple blocks on the wall. Sweet!

Thanks NL, I desired a one piece quilt top and to get one I had to order a blank from scratch, and to do that they wanted create 4, one for me and 3 to sell... longstoryshort... I wound up owning all 4.... I produced three guitars... and decided to keep one of the blanks for the future... and to this day she still hangs on my wall, she is art.

Here are the ones I completed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 01:41 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 27, 2012 04:05

Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust

Thanks NL, I desired a one piece quilt top and to get one I had to order a blank from scratch, and to do that they wanted create 4, one for me and 3 to sell... longstoryshort... I wound up owning all 4.... I produced three guitars... and decided to keep one of the blanks for the future... and to this day she still hangs on my wall, she is art.

Wowzer Max, I knew there was a story in there somewhere. Those guitars look very playable, love the differences you did with the pickups and electronics. I must know though, which one is your favorite? Hardly guitars to be posted on a junk guitar forum.

I was at the luthiers today and saw progress being made on a short scale, strat style body guitar with tune-o-matic bridge. That will be my next one. He just finished the neck and is about to fret it up and finish the electronics in the body. It won't have a top like those of yours but with this relatively heavy ash body with wonderful wood grains, it should be just what I ordered.

Thanks for those picture Max, made my day. I am excited easily by guitars but yours really turned me on! peace

Date: April 27, 2012 05:37

Naturalust
Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust

Wowzer Max, I knew there was a story in there somewhere. Those guitars look very playable, love the differences you did with the pickups and electronics. I must know though, which one is your favorite? Hardly guitars to be posted on a junk guitar forum.

I was at the luthiers today and saw progress being made on a short scale, strat style body guitar with tune-o-matic bridge. That will be my next one. He just finished the neck and is about to fret it up and finish the electronics in the body. It won't have a top like those of yours but with this relatively heavy ash body with wonderful wood grains, it should be just what I ordered.

Thanks for those picture Max, made my day. I am excited easily by guitars but yours really turned me on! peace

Thanks NL, I am quite delighted and proud of them. All of my custom made babies play awesome. There are too many chapters to my whole "I produced guitars? WTF" story... but... well... I learned a lot about a lot... I did several parts of the produicing myself (most of the wiring and all of the spraying the nitro in my back yard).... but when it came to put them together and get them set up perfectly I skipped the learning curve... I found and paid one of the best luthiers in the world to do the final setups. His main occupation is repairing broken Martins, and I lucked into him agreeing to put my babies together. I paid him a pretty penny, which I didnt/dont mind... I wanted/require that my instruments be perfectly setup and to play perfect.... and they do. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 05:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 27, 2012 07:40

Yeah max I could hang out in that corner of yours for a good while and feel right at home. Thanks again for the beautiful guitar pictures. peace

Date: April 27, 2012 08:03

Naturalust
Yeah max I could hang out in that corner of yours for a good while and feel right at home. Thanks again for the beautiful guitar pictures. peace

Hi.Naturalust were you into the Hippie scene?

Flower Power
PEACE

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 09:24

My first guitar, which I bought back around '95 is nothing to write home about, but I love it. It's like the Millenium Falcon, "she might not look like much but she's got it where it counts". And much like the Falcon, I've made a few modifications. Not laser turrets or anything like that.

It's an early 90's Chinese Squire Strat. Sunburst, came with a white pick guard but a few years ago I had it overhauled, changing out the guts and pickups, put on a black with white trim pick guard. Has all kinds of Stones, Pearl Jam, Beatles and Floyd stickers on it.

I think it sounds great, and the damn thing is indestructible. But now I treat it very carefully since it has sentimental value, being my first and longest owned axe. I take good care of it now and take it in for regular maintenance. It's my cheapest, yet favorite guitar. It has character.

Date: April 27, 2012 19:37

StonesHippieRecluse
Naturalust

Not a straighforward answer to that question SHR, The scene being 1966 to 1969 or so , I was just a toddler. I had a big sister who was a hippie and I loved her and ALL of her girlfriends. They had a huge impact on my life.

I was always curious almost infactuated with the transformation in our culture that produced the hippie generation. Amazed at how a relatively small group of people in SF, CA could so drastically affect my life in the mountains of Montana. Then of course I grew up a bit, dropped acid, picked up a guitar and things started making sense.

I have always been the one to stand up for the freakiness, the love, the music and the good values that hippies taught me as a kid. But in reality, I was a generation behind them. Probably me and my friends took all their experiments to the end to see if they held water. Some did, some didn't.

There was a time when every other dude who had long hair like me was somehow considered a friend and brother. I still wear my hair long. As David Crosby said, I feel like I owe it to someone. Being non-judgemental about all other people, no matter where they are on the karmic wheel, was a lesson that stuck.

The music is where it all gelled for me. Hendrix, The Stones, The Airplane, Traffic. I have centered my life around it and have never looked back. So yes I was into the hippie scene, 20 years too late but with a few lessons behind me that allowed it to work in my life. Rock shows and hippie chicks will always have a special place in my heart. Both have been VERY good to me. Hope that answers your question.

What about you brother, what is your story? peace

Date: April 27, 2012 19:43

Naturalust
StonesHippieRecluse
Naturalust

Not a straighforward answer to that question SHR, The scene being 1966 to 1969 or so , I was just a toddler. I had a big sister who was a hippie and I loved her and ALL of her girlfriends. They had a huge impact on my life.

I was always curious almost infactuated with the transformation in our culture that produced the hippie generation. Amazed at how a relatively small group of people in SF, CA could so drastically affect my life in the mountains of Montana. Then of course I grew up a bit, dropped acid, picked up a guitar and things started making sense.

I have always been the one to stand up for the freakiness, the love, the music and the good values that hippies taught me as a kid. But in reality, I was a generation behind them. Probably me and my friends took all their experiments to the end to see if they held water. Some did, some didn't.

There was a time when every other dude who had long hair like me was somehow considered a friend and brother. I still wear my hair long. As David Crosby said, I feel like I owe it to someone. Being non-judgemental about all other people, no matter where they are on the karmic wheel, was a lesson that stuck.

The music is where it all gelled for me. Hendrix, The Stones, The Airplane, Traffic. I have centered my life around it and have never looked back. So yes I was into the hippie scene, 20 years too late but with a few lessons behind me that allowed it to work in my life. Rock shows and hippie chicks will always have a special place in my heart. Both have been VERY good to me. Hope that answers your question.

What about you brother, what is your story? peace

Yes, StonesHippieRecluse, you asked, got a good answer, now it is your turn.

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: April 27, 2012 21:11

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home