Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: Lady Jane
Posted by: René ()
Date: March 26, 2012 10:53

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Lady Jane
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

RCA Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, March 6 - 9, 1966

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar
Charlie Watts - percussion
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - dulcimer
Jack Nitzsche - harpsichord

My sweet lady Jane, when I see you again
Your servant am I, and will humbly remain
Just heed this plea, my love, on bended knees my love
I pledge myself to lady Jane

My dear lady Anne, I've done what I can
I must take my leave, for promised I am
This play is run, my love, your time has come, my love
I pledge my troth to lady Jane

Oh, my sweet Marie, I wait at your ease
The sands have run out, for your lady and me
Wedlock is nigh, my love, her station's right my love
Life is secure with lady Jane

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Aftermath” LP
(Decca SKL 4786) UK, April 15, 1966

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-02 10:03 by René.

Re: Track Talk: Lady Jane
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 26, 2012 11:11

when our good marcovandereijk pointed out that the songwriters are using "Lady Jane" in the DH Lawrencean sense,
it alllllll fell into place. on bended knee indeed :E

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 26, 2012 11:24

with sssoul
when our good marcovandereijk pointed out that the songwriters are using "Lady Jane" in the DH Lawrencean sense,

>grinning smiley< I remember reading that from Philip Norman's book and after that the whole song have always had...hmmm.. a different flavor in it.... Damn those nasty clever boys...!

A wonderful song altogether. Just perfect in every little detail in it. The boys - that what they then were, right - nailed 100% almost a mission impossible there. An incredile example what does it mean to be young and vital and no limits in mind.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-26 11:24 by Doxa.

Date: March 26, 2012 11:25

A classic!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 26, 2012 11:34

Now that's a song that I really like....thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: March 26, 2012 11:34

One of my least favorite Stones periods. Nor very keen for baroque pop. But still a good song!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 26, 2012 12:19

with sssoul

Thank you marcovandereijk for giving this a new coolness. I always thought that the explantion about Lady Jane being drugs was a little geeky and I dont care for the song even if the dulcimer is good. But this is great.

Date: March 26, 2012 12:30

DiscoVolante
One of my least favorite Stones periods. Nor very keen for baroque pop. But still a good song!

I think a thing like "Lady Jane" is great since that the Stones are so far from their comfort zone but still manage to make a unforgettable tune. Not only "and now, something completely different" or an expriment for the sake of experiment but actually a great sounding and convincing result! One could say that of their best experimients ever. I suppose things like these gave The Stones a musical credibility back at the time when it was needed to show that they are equal to The Beatles.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-26 12:31 by Doxa.

Date: March 26, 2012 12:37

By the way, if we are looking for distant cousins to this gem, I think Jagger's "Angel in My Heart" is closest, followed by "New Faces". Of course, Hopknins' piano in "She's A Rainbow" have also that baroque feel...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-26 12:38 by Doxa.

Date: March 26, 2012 12:44

Doxa
By the way, if we are looking for distant cousins to this gem, I think Jagger's "Angel in My Heart" is closest, followed by "New Faces". Of course, Hopknins' piano in "She's A Rainbow" have also that baroque feel...

- Doxa

One more:

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 26, 2012 13:06

How posh. A lovely song that takes me back to olde England. It's the harpsichord and dulcimer that make it so special.

Drew

Date: March 26, 2012 13:26

A good catch, DP!. "Sittin On A Fence" is one of my favourite Stones ballads ever, and I have always wondered why it didn't make AFTERMATH. But yeah, actually it being someway too close to "Lady Jane" might explain a lot. They didn't want to give such 'soft' impression altogether by having two such ballads in the same album. I think that also explains why later pieces like "Waitin On A Friend" or "Worried About You" not making the albums at the time of their recording since there were too many similar songs to choose from. It is also usual that same kind of songs come in groups - certain same ideas or feelings popping in the mind and one make some different versions of them...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-26 13:31 by Doxa.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 26, 2012 20:04

Fantastic. This is why that mid-60s period is so cherished. It evokes another time, an Elizabethan tone. I would even say that the Stones were more successful than the Beatles in creating an aural past era without being campy. Another example is 'Backstreet Girl'.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 26, 2012 20:20

Great song, belongs to one of the first song I remember from back then as 13/14 years old boy

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 26, 2012 20:48

Drew, I agree. It does evoke images of "olde England". I have loved that song since I first heard it as a 16 year-old. I think it is a great STUDIO song. I never thought it translated well on stage.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 26, 2012 21:14

It's a perfect bit of good old English double or even treble meaning: it's an elegant Elizabethan song about Henry VIII's love life (if you want it to be) - or a pretty but cynical ballad about a man taking his leave of all his old lovers in favour of a boring respectable marriage (if you want it to be) - or a hymn of devotion to a certain part of a lady's anatomy (if you want it to be). And no censor could point to anything explicitly and unarguably "dirty" in the lyrics - it's all in your mind, and as clean or as filthy as your mind is. I bet they had a lot of fun writing those lyrics.

(On top of that, it's a lovely piece of music, too).

Date: March 26, 2012 22:25

Doxa
A good catch, DP!. "Sittin On A Fence" is one of my favourite Stones ballads ever, and I have always wondered why it didn't make AFTERMATH. But yeah, actually it being someway too close to "Lady Jane" might explain a lot. They didn't want to give such 'soft' impression altogether by having two such ballads in the same album. I think that also explains why later pieces like "Waitin On A Friend" or "Worried About You" not making the albums at the time of their recording since there were too many similar songs to choose from. It is also usual that same kind of songs come in groups - certain same ideas or feelings popping in the mind and one make some different versions of them...

- Doxa

It's funny, I listen to it sometimes when I run but it's really just the intro and the production that's great. It's folloed by A Degree of Murder which has that similar dulcimer/some other gadget riff.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 26, 2012 22:48

Would it be possible to focus on just an even shorter piece of the song,
maybe the "say that you'd be true -> my suzie q" and the "i love the way you walk - > suzie q" part, and make it last for....let's say 40 minutes ?

Date: March 26, 2012 22:51

Erik_Snow
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 26, 2012 22:58

One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite periods...If Keith had never started playing open G, and the Stones had ended in 1967, they still would have been one of the greatest pop bands ever.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 26, 2012 23:01

24FPS
I would even say that the Stones were more successful than the Beatles in creating an aural past era without being campy. Another example is 'Backstreet Girl'.

... really?

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 26, 2012 23:32

Rene, are you sure about the lyrics? I have always understood them to be:

Oh, my sweet Marie
I wait at your EASE
The sands have run out
For your lady and me
WEDLOCK is nigh, my love
Her station's right, my love
Life is secure with Lady Jane

Anyone else ave a comment regarding these lyrics? Am I misunderstanding them?

Date: March 26, 2012 23:42

DaveG, I make it "ease" and "wedlock" too - though I'm not sure what "waiting at your ease" means exactly. But then "eaves" doesn't make much sense either...

Date: March 26, 2012 23:51

I think waiting at one's ease makes a bit more sense than waiting at one's eaves! Wouldn't waiting at her ease mean that he was at her beck and call?

Date: March 27, 2012 00:07

DaveG
Wouldn't waiting at her ease mean that he was at her beck and call?

that's how i understand that idiom (and that line in the song)
but in fact it doesn't make much sense, since the surface message is that he's at someone else's beck & call
(i'm not sure about that wedlock - but maybe that's because the music is what i'm listening to in this track)

Date: March 27, 2012 00:10

DaveG
I think waiting at one's ease makes a bit more sense than waiting at one's eaves! Wouldn't waiting at her ease mean that he was at her beck and call?

It probably does - it's just that it's not a usual English expression so you need to think a bit to work out what he's actually trying to say.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: March 27, 2012 00:11

Lady Jane is a real gem and I like the electric version as well on Got Live... even though Mick sounds somewhat ironic when he sings it there. smiling smiley

The instrumental middle part with the dulcimer and the harpsichord always give me goosebumps.

71Tele
One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite periods...If Keith had never started playing open G, and the Stones had ended in 1967, they still would have been one of the greatest pop bands ever.
So very true!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 27, 2012 00:18

jamesfdouglas
24FPS
I would even say that the Stones were more successful than the Beatles in creating an aural past era without being campy. Another example is 'Backstreet Girl'.

... really?

To my particular ears, really. Eleanor Rigby sounds very modern. Lady Jane & Backstreet Girl sound are very acoustic and sound like they could have been performed in other centuries by minstrels of the day. I'm transported to another age with those songs. Eleanor Rigby's subject is loneliness in the modern world. To my ears.

Date: March 27, 2012 00:22

with sssoul, maybe that's why he's leaving "sweet Marie" for Lsdy Jane: he's sick and tired of being at her beck and call!

Date: March 27, 2012 01:01

24FPS
jamesfdouglas
24FPS

... really?

To my particular ears, really. Eleanor Rigby sounds very modern. Lady Jane & Backstreet Girl sound are very acoustic and sound like they could have been performed in other centuries by minstrels of the day. I'm transported to another age with those songs. Eleanor Rigby's subject is loneliness in the modern world. To my ears.

Yup. The Beatles was Art rock in 1966, Stones went Elisabethan 60s pop. Lady Jane is 100% English, Rigby isnt. Even a song like For no one is really a serious attempt at something that could have been written before or after the 60s. WHen Im 64 is crap imo but totally true to a certain style and could also have been written before Pepper (I know, he wrote it in 1956, 58 or something).

What would have worked out better in 1966 is a big what if: Brian and Keith doing something without Mick, without vocals.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home