Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: Rolling Stone: Keith Apologies to Mick
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 20, 2012 18:49

Keith's stature was tempered by events in the music world. He has always played guitar, period. Brian was first overshadowed musically during the Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud, 19th Nervous Breakdown period. It was a rock guitar period, mild by later standards, but not Brian's bag. And it was during this period that Brian began to recede. You can see him physically disappear in old film clips. It was the pop period of 66-67 that saw the resurgence of Brian and the sublimation of Keith. Brian carved out a new image with his multi-instrumentalism. Once lost in the background, Brian is suddenly out front, almost with a solo spotlight, playing marimbas, playing sitar, playing dulcimer. This was Brian's golden age. It reached its apex with Satanic Majesties where Keith almost seems desperate to get a riff in with that unneccessary duh-duh at the end of She's A Rainbow.

But the emergence of Cream, Hendrix, & Jimmy Page with the Yardbirds pushed forward the new ethos of technically proficient, rock guitar. And just as Jumping Jack Flash announced the return of the harder, guitar driven Stones, it also marked the beginning of the musical end of Brian Jones. He wasn't that good as a rock guitarist, or even interested in it. Beggar's Banquet, except for a droning sitar on Street Fighting Man, pushed away their recent musical past. The Stones were headed in a distinct new direction and Brian didn't want to go. And Mick Taylor's lucky arrival kicked the Stones into the rock stratosphere, enabling them to keep up and surpass the rest of the pack. Ironically it also signalled the end of Keith's dexterity as a lead player, as he became the funky riff master to Taylor's soaring style.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 20, 2012 19:21

DandelionPowderman
Doxa, watch the T.A.M.I.-show. Keith was the man back then already; visually, musically (in particular) and of course he sang the harmony brilliantly with a distinct voice which blended nicely with Jagger's.

+ he played all the solos.

For me, it took two seconds to spot it when I first saw it.

Honestly, what I see there is three guys in front. Two of them are image-conscious, charismatic players, giving a rather cool, even threatening image of themselves, and then a third one just nervously jumping and moving around, as any other British Invasion pseudo-Beatle musician.

- Doxa

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 20, 2012 20:07

Sorry to interrupt an interesting discussion, but I found this amusing piece, and I want to share it

"...Having come not long ago from reading Keith Richards’s “Life”, the resemblance between Keith’s account of his addiction and De Quincey’s of his, was startling, and also startling was the close correspondence between Keith’s relationship with Mick Jagger and De Quincey’s with Wordsworth. Keith frequently complains in his book that Mick took on musical ideas that Keith had strummed out, in a stupor, returning with them later as though they were his own. Thomas, if we can call him that, had the same suspicions about Bill W.: “He appropriates whatever another says, so entirely, as to be angry if the originator claimed any part of it,” De Quincey asserted. In conversing with Wordsworth one day, a friend reported, De Quincey “made some remark which Wordsworth caught up & amplified & repeated, next day. De Quincey then observed, ‘I am glad you adopt that view of mine.’ ‘Yours!’ said Wordsworth. ‘Yes, mine’ said De Quincey. ‘No,’ cried Wordsworth, indignantly, ‘it is mine.’” Mick said the same thing about “Brown Sugar.

[www.newyorker.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 20, 2012 20:10

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa, watch the T.A.M.I.-show. Keith was the man back then already; visually, musically (in particular) and of course he sang the harmony brilliantly with a distinct voice which blended nicely with Jagger's.

Honestly, what I see there is three guys in front. Two of them are image-conscious, charismatic players, giving a rather cool, even threatening image of themselves, and then a third one just nervously jumping and moving around, as any other British Invasion pseudo-Beatle musician.

- Doxa

yes, and the nervous goofy grin gives him away as well.

Date: March 20, 2012 20:20

24FPS
Keith's stature was tempered by events in the music world. He has always played guitar, period. Brian was first overshadowed musically during the Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud, 19th Nervous Breakdown period. It was a rock guitar period, mild by later standards, but not Brian's bag. And it was during this period that Brian began to recede. You can see him physically disappear in old film clips. It was the pop period of 66-67 that saw the resurgence of Brian and the sublimation of Keith. Brian carved out a new image with his multi-instrumentalism. Once lost in the background, Brian is suddenly out front, almost with a solo spotlight, playing marimbas, playing sitar, playing dulcimer. This was Brian's golden age. It reached its apex with Satanic Majesties where Keith almost seems desperate to get a riff in with that unneccessary duh-duh at the end of She's A Rainbow.

But the emergence of Cream, Hendrix, & Jimmy Page with the Yardbirds pushed forward the new ethos of technically proficient, rock guitar. And just as Jumping Jack Flash announced the return of the harder, guitar driven Stones, it also marked the beginning of the musical end of Brian Jones. He wasn't that good as a rock guitarist, or even interested in it. Beggar's Banquet, except for a droning sitar on Street Fighting Man, pushed away their recent musical past. The Stones were headed in a distinct new direction and Brian didn't want to go. And Mick Taylor's lucky arrival kicked the Stones into the rock stratosphere, enabling them to keep up and surpass the rest of the pack. Ironically it also signalled the end of Keith's dexterity as a lead player, as he became the funky riff master to Taylor's soaring style.

I agree. Well put. Very difficult to see where we exactly had a disagreement in the first place.

- Doxa

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 20, 2012 20:47

Hey Doxa, I love reading yer posts, but, in general, can you please put a few more paragraph breaks in there for my tires eyes. peace

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 20, 2012 21:28

treaclefingers
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

yes, and the nervous goofy grin gives him away as well.

That's a sweet moment.

I see 5 musicians who know they are good, but also realise they are in the midst of something truly special, a huge wave of exhilaration and freedom both within themselves and in the audience... A beautiful shared experience!

The Rolling Stones experience!!!

smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 20, 2012 21:54

24FPS
Ironically it also signalled the end of Keith's dexterity as a lead player, as he became the funky riff master to Taylor's soaring style.

That there is a large part of why I don't like much of the so called Taylor era. grinning smiley

Date: March 20, 2012 22:09

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
Doxa, I think you're putting to much into Brian's "front man-status". If he was, that would be only in the beginning of their career. By Satisfaction, the Jagger/Richard-team was well-established, musically, image-wise and visually on and off stage. By the early 70s, The Glimmer Twins could be seen as two frontmen in the media.

With Keith's drugbusts etc. he got the extra attention during the 70s, and when he kicked hard drugs, he became a favorite by the press, something that heightened his status to the public, imo.

I believe that image wise, the Richards side of the Jagger/Richards icon template, as opposed to the whole group as "bad boys", really launched for the wider audience, with the Jumping Jack Flash film. Cemented once and for all, in Ladies and Gentlemen. And it wen from there.

And, interestingly, it was very nearly challenged by Taylor's rising star on the his last European tour with the group. But that went by in the blink of an eye.

But back to the Glimmers, once really established, on the non-visual side, part of that "cool" image rested Keith not opening up his mouth too much. To my interpretation, not terribly dissimilar from Doxa's or Bill Wyman's Stone Alone, Keith's image built throughout "the 70s", (even if we put that back to 68/59), and reached critical mass in the mid 80s. He was the celebrity that didn't die at that point. "The coolest man on the planet" etc. And, then, with the fallout with Jagger's solo career, we launch into a whole different Keith Richards that see to this day.

Brian Jones was a big deal, even post Satisfaction, to the many (majority?) of fans following to the point of his dismissal and death.

Think back to the album covers now, not the actual songwriting. It's not until Goats Head Soup we get this Mick/Keith cover thing going on, reprized again on Tattoo You.

I've never head that before. Do you have any links to articles on that, or was that fan buzz at the time? Unfortunately, I was to young back then...

Oh no DPM, definitely not. I'm in the same boat as you, too young for that (well not quite technically, but didn't really become a Stones fanatic until 1978).

I should have rephrased a bit perhaps - it was a tangent to begin with and I was mildly surprised to read of it myself, despite being a Taylor fan. The Taylor bit in 73 (Brussels right?) was gleaned from a few comments I believe I read here in the last year or so, or one of the other boards. I recall at least one link (I don't have it), but apparently he was causing a stir in some fan press and among some of the attendees.

It had caught my attention at the time because it suggested Taylor being a draw in the context of Taylor shining up there with Jagger. It wasn't a reference to Taylor in relation to Richards. Which in itself is sort of telling.

Even going back to Taylor's own quotes which i do recall pretty well, in responding to why he did NOT have more stage presence/act he suggested he should not take the spotlight off Jagger (no mention of Richards in Taylor's response there).

As it happens, I doubt Taylor would ever be different than we've ever seen him (with the Stones, Blues Breakers, Dylan, solo etc), but in his mind it was Jagger in the spotlight, and not Jagger/Richards, and ditto for whatever the source was for Taylor taking a cut of the spotlight on that European leg. But yeah, how long was that leg? Not too long. And, yes, we do see Richards front and center in L&G (earlier than Brussels).

I do also recall a Stones review back in the mid 70s, could've been Rolling Stone or Village Voice, but anyway, more or less "mainstream", wherein the reviewer cited "Can't you Hear me Knocking" as showing the way for the Stones to go in "the future" as a mature band. With the benefit of hindsight, probably nearly all of us are glad the Stones didn't get sucked into long extended musical noodlings or lead guitar hero stuff, or watered down jazz pretensions (can you imagine?), but the sentiment probably reflected the thoughts of others as well.

Getting back to the TAMI show, it is always interesting for me to watch. I agree with what you see there DPM concerning Richards already rising, at that early date, but it's also a bit of a Rorschach test to watch it. I've seen it referenced and posted by the Brian Jones faithful, to show him holding his own at that time.

Some great analysis in there, man. Thanks.

I agree with you on Taylor not wanting to steal the limelight from Jagger, but something tells me he wouldn't have done it anyway. Some people have that frontman-thing in them as soon as they enter a stage. Mick and Keith are people like that, even though Keith developed a more "visual" style as the years passed. On the TAMI-show it's the real deal - always a pleasure to watch.

If you listen carefully to Taylor's last live gig with the Stones in Berlin, 1973 Oct. 19 (maybe the very best show the Stones ever performed), then it's Taylor all the way, musically. Imagine if he also acted like he played.

No wonder Richards preferred the inferior Wood. But what a wasted opportunity to bring the Stones' music on an almost extraterrestrial level. We only have the relatively poor Brussels second show in a bad mixing, compared to the other 1973 October shows, especially those in Rotterdam and ... in Berlin!

Of course I´ve heard Berlin, but I hear Jagger all the way - and I can´t imagine Taylor doing anywhere near showmansship (which was what we were talking about here), and I doubt a dvd would prove that either.

"Musically" is imo a wrong term to use here, since Keith´s fantastic riffs, Bill´s wonderful bass and Charlie´s cool grooves are just as musical, although not in a scholarly sense - as may be the case with Taylor.

BTW, I love Mick Taylor, and I love the rolling stones

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: March 20, 2012 22:45

DandelionPowderman

is that Blondie Chaplin strummin in the back @ 35-40 sec?... wtf?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 20, 2012 22:56

Doxa
24FPS

I agree. Well put. Very difficult to see where we exactly had a disagreement in the first place.

- Doxa

It was simply a different opinion on Keith's fame. This can be a difference in how the band members were perceived in the U.K.vs.the U.S. American audiences weren't very hip until the later 60s. And they really didn't look into any pop stars with any depth, excepting the Beatles. The Rolling Stones music, in retrospect, was more macho and blues based than their contemporaries, but they didn't break away from the British Invasion pack for some time. The Beatles brought back to U.S. audiences rock and roll music they were already familiar with. The Stones brought them the American blues and R&B that America (white America) never heard to begin with.

By the time America really got the Stones fever, in the early 70s with the breakup of the Beatles, Brian was long gone. It wasn't until Dalton's book in 1972 that I got the back story on Brian. And it wasn't until my own discovery of the blues in the 90s with some Chess boxsets that I understood what Brian had done with the blues. And it wasn't until years later that I realized Mick had appropriated Brian's role as fashion leader of the Stones, and Keith had taken on the hopeless druggie stance. It's kind of funny, but Keith is the one who has never really received his musical due. Brian's the genius, Mick's the Superstar, but Keith, one half of one of the most successful songwriting duos of all time, doesn't really get his due. At least not for his talent. Ruby Tuesday is his song, but it's hard to accept that such a tune came from him.

No disagreement, mate, just different views of the same parade passing by.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 21, 2012 00:05

Natlanta
DandelionPowderman

is that Blondie Chaplin strummin in the back @ 35-40 sec?... wtf?

Good Eye Natlanta! Not only Blondie Chap but also a very young Waddy W right next to him. Maybe one was playing for Keith and the other for Brian. smiling smiley

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 21, 2012 00:29

Speaking of Mick Taylor..... anyone hear anymore on Taylor being asked to join in on the 2013 tour? See where Bill Wyman's back "in" and he quit just like Taylor. What happened to Keith's statement: Taylor & Wyman can come along, it will
be one big party!! Back up your comment - KEITH!!!

MLC

Date: March 21, 2012 01:07

MCDDTLC
Speaking of Mick Taylor..... anyone hear anymore on Taylor being asked to join in on the 2013 tour? See where Bill Wyman's back "in" and he quit just like Taylor. What happened to Keith's statement: Taylor & Wyman can come along, it will
be one big party!! Back up your comment - KEITH!!!

MLC

Good Question - It might be quite some time before we find out the answer.

Taylor did not attend for whatever reason - not invited? or did he turn it down for some reason? And, if so, does that seal his fate with the band going forward, even as they plan their swan song? If he is limbo, does he perhaps not want to "complain" lest it mess up a possible opportunity? Did Ronnie Wood veto it? Did Jagger not want an extra salary?

His name is conspicuously absent in all but fans posting here in regards to the 50th Anniv.

There are a number of positive signs in recent times, but nothing explicit. The one really intriguing thing here is someone posted rather cryptically recently that Taylor was "just waiting on a phone call" which seemed to imply he was set to go and waiting on a phone call to activate a known plan. Rather than simply waiting to hear from the band at all... but maybe that was just my wishful thinking.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: March 21, 2012 01:37

god i wish keith could play like he did in 1964

Date: March 21, 2012 01:56

roundnround
god i wish keith could play like he did in 1964

I'd settle for 1989 in a heartbeat!!!

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: March 21, 2012 02:20

Doxa
24FPS
By the end of the 60's, Keith role as the second most important member of the group was esablished among fans, and to a degree in media, but it would take until the early 80's that he would gain such a status Brian used to have, actually challenging Jagger's place in the spotlight. - Doxa

I don't agree with this at all. Keith's status was firmly fixed by the early 70s as the dark bad boy of the group. Brian never had the status Keith had, at least not in the States. Brian was more of a European phenomena. At the time of his death it was confusing as to exactly who he was. Keith was always the one on stage playing the rocking leads. He's the one we saw play the fuzzbox guitar on Satisfaction. Remember that Brian's tour de force, Little Red Rooster, was not the hit in America that it was in the U.K. By the early 70s Keith was on the top of the list of Next Rock Star to Die. He was the epitome of wasted rock debauchery. While Brian was rarely mentioned as a rock casualty in the realm of Hendrix and the others of the early 70s. Keith may not have been interviewed much at that time, but that made him all the more decadent and mysterious. And his bust in '77 certainly reinforced the international image he'd already cultivated with the iconic 1972 photo A DRUG FREE AMERICA COMES FIRST.

I don't think Keith ever challenged Mick for the spotlight. Keith simply had a little more of his own spotlight. He proved to be a more interesting interview, no matter how dotty the info might be. Mick's individual musical stardom has only grown, especially with his high profile shots at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary, the 2011 Grammys and recently at the White House Blues Tribute. Keith's musical profile has dissipated. He's now known as Jack Sparrow's gargoyle dad in Disney movies.

And now Keith finds himself in the odd position of being the Stone who now has to prove himself musically.

Yeah, you could be right in regards to US vs. Europe in seeing Brian's status. I wasn't in neither of the places at the time, so all I can see the past is based on second-hand material, and obviously I am more familiar with the European point of view.

Anyway, generally there is a quite big gap between the early/mid-60's and then the late 60's/70's fan generations - roughly, between Jones and Taylor eras, or pre and post BEGGRS BANQUET eras - and what I have wittnessed that quite many who were fans during the early days, lost the interest afterwards to follow the band. That historical phase - when the Stones actually had the biggest impact in the musical world - is unfortunately not very well covered in Rolling Stones discussion boards (we have even 'natural', Darwinian reasons for that). The Stones gather a new following later, and most of the harcore fans seem to derive from post-Jones days (which seem to lead to some sort of historical over-looking of the early days - remember, to correct that wicked picture was the motivation behind Wyman's STONE ALONE). I think what you said about people being confused what Brian actually was during the time of his death is pretty much reflecting the changing of the climate. Brian had pretty much disappaered from the public eye during his last two years in a band. The time were changing so rapidly then, and I think locating Brian already to the scene of 1969 started to sound difficult, and as the 70's go further, the idea of a rock star - and which instruments he plays, how he looks like, behaves like - pretty much was fixed. Today it is almost impossible to grasp Brian Jones in terms of rock and roll because he seem to escape all the typical, fixed rock musician categories, for example, he is not a Taylor-kind of 'nothing but a great guitar player' or Woodie-like Keith Richards-clone, but something rather different that I don't even have a good word for. But all in all he is so mid-60's phenomenon, a category of its own - he is acually earlier figure than, say other of the original 27 club - Hendrix, Morrison, or Joplin - that all are much easier to define.

But that doesn't change the fact that at his prime - 1962-67 - Brian Jones was with Mick clearly the face of The Rolling Stones to outside world. So much that Jagger needed to talk him over of not leaving the group in 1967 - that would have been a fatal image-loss for the band still then. But wheras Mick was the frontman, Brian was seen the best musician of them (whether it was true or not) - that seems to stick to the mind of anyone who knows something about 60's scene and is not much stunned by what the Stones have done ever since. Besides being the fashion leader in the world's most photographed band was not a small deal either. No matter how much we are stunned by "the world most elegantly wasted human being" - a picture pretty much born during the 70's - I would claim that it actually took quite many years for Keith's star to rise to the level Brian once had. All over the world. The guitarist about whom Muddy Waters said "the guitarist ain't bad either" was actually Brian Jones, and as he was the guy who seeing live made the pants of young Patti Smith wet. Brian Jones was the original Rolling Stone if anyone ever was.

- Doxa
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up You are the man Doxa! Wait.....you are a man aren't you?

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: March 21, 2012 07:46

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Doxa
When I read LIFE I was certain that The Rolling Stones will never perform again.

And since you've been correct!

Well, enjoy being correct right up until the time they hit the stage in 2013. Then enjoy being incorrect!smiling smiley

Date: March 21, 2012 10:16

SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
With Keith's drugbusts etc. he got the extra attention during the 70s, and when he kicked hard drugs, he became a favorite by the press, something that heightened his status to the public, imo.

But back to the Glimmers, once really established, on the non-visual side, part of that "cool" image rested Keith not opening up his mouth too much. To my interpretation, not terribly dissimilar from Doxa's or Bill Wyman's Stone Alone, Keith's image built throughout "the 70s", (even if we put that back to 68/59), and reached critical mass in the mid 80s. He was the celebrity that didn't die at that point. "The coolest man on the planet" etc. And, then, with the fallout with Jagger's solo career, we launch into a whole different Keith Richards that see to this day.

I'll second to both of these quotes. Spot on.

Just to make sure, I hope no one sees me trying to belittle Keith here. Not at all. I think Keith has always been the soul of the band. Especially at the time when his status was not so recognized, and the name associeted to such a caricature behavior and image so clearly yet. Like I said earlier I tend to see Keith's story as a heroic story - like if one tries enough, and is totally devoted to one's task, the prize will follow some day. Not ego play. Not trying to push one front. Not trying desperately to take the spotlight... The loyalty to the band, the motto of “I shine when the band shines”, is something I have always admired in Richards. A real team player.

Like someone said back in the 70’s Keith was the hero of music press, who had a kind of cult following, while Jagger was the super star of larger attention. The people who know about music, knew Richards' significance. Like DandelionPowderman pointed out, the rock and roll 'outlaw' life and the drug busts gave him quite a lot, not initially so good publicity, but in the end, in a long run, that worked greatly for him in creating the image, the myth of rock and roll survivor. During the 80’s, after cleaning up the hard drugs, he really became a darling of the press, and pretty much by the expanse of Jagger. And Keith learned how to make headlines. He became - especially after Jagger's solo 'disaster', as SweetThing mentioned - a Jagger-like celebrity enjoying the media attention. The tension between him and Jagger was not any longer one living as a superstar in the world of paparazzes, and one in the heroic realm of music scenes, now it was the both of them living in the first mentioned realm, and confronting each other there.

Anyway, to my fan’s eyes, I haven’t really liked the post 80's development. The Keith Ricahrds of last decade(s) is so lost to his own myth and fame, that I think is pretty hard to recognize the 'cool' features this man once had. The latter devolopment seem to unfortunately to go with losing his musical touch.I think Keith Richards enjoys too much for just being Keith Richards, the legend, a celebrity in his own terms. One can only think how much Johnny Depp imitation, and finally the great attention LIFE gathered, to not forget the sales, had for Keith's ego. And the content of LIFE documented pretty clearly that he doesn't care for The Rolling Stones any longer. It's only the legend of KEEF left.

Sorry Naturalust for the long paragraphs... I try to change my bad habits..

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-21 10:37 by Doxa.

Date: March 21, 2012 10:45

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-21 10:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 21, 2012 10:47

Doxa
-

I agree completely smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: howled ()
Date: March 21, 2012 11:00

I don't know Keith but I think he hasn't changed that much since the beginning.

I read all this increased media presence and later stage move posing stuff and do people realize that Pete Townshend got the windmill move off Keith in the 60s.

Keith was doing that stage move back then and Pete said to him "can I borrow it" and Keith said ok and Keith stopped doing it because Pete took it over.

Keith was always doing stage moves.

When Keith went out with the X-pensive Winos it wasn't anything like the Stones.

Bobby Keys talks about how different it was [www.iorr.org]

It was more of an equal muso thing.

This isn't really the sign of an egomaniac.

Keith does interviews because he probably has to, to promote the Stones.

The main Keith interviews I've read have all been in Guitar magazines for guitar players.

I've read Life and thought it was pretty good for what it was.

Keith could have easily made the book less raw and less controversial but to his credit he included a lot of things that might have offended some.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-21 11:12 by howled.

Date: March 21, 2012 11:18

howled
I don't know Keith but I think he hasn't changed that much since the beginning.

I read all this increased media presence and later stage move posing stuff and do people realize that Pete Townshend got the windmill move off Keith in the 60s.

Keith was doing that stage move back then and Pete said to him "can I borrow it" and Keith said ok and Keith stopped doing it because Pete took it over.

Keith was always doing stage moves.

When Keith went out with the X-pensive Winos it wasn't anything like the Stones.

Bobby Keys talks about how different it was [www.iorr.org]

It was more of an equal muso thing.

This isn't really the sign of an egomaniac.

Keith does interviews because he probably has to, to promote the Stones.

The main Keith interviews I've read have all been in Guitar magazines for guitar players.

I've read Life and thought it was pretty good for what it was.

Keith could have easily made the book less raw and less controversial but to his credit he included a lot of things that might have offended some.

Playing-wise he has changed a lot. Most importantly, he doesn't take his share of rhythm guitar anymore, something that he used to master better than anyone in his heyday.

As a person, I don't think he has changed a lot. The problem is probably that others grew up winking smiley

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 21, 2012 11:23

Doxa
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman

I'll second to both of these quotes. Spot on.

Just to make sure, I hope no one sees me trying to belittle Keith here. Not at all. I think Keith has always been the soul of the band. Especially at the time when his status was not so recognized, and the name associeted to such a caricature behavior and image so clearly yet. Like I said earlier I tend to see Keith's story as a heroic story - like if one tries enough, and is totally devoted to one's task, the prize will follow some day. Not ego play. Not trying to push one front. Not trying desperately to take the spotlight... The loyalty to the band, the motto of “I shine when the band shines”, is something I have always admired in Richards. A real team player.

Like someone said back in the 70’s Keith was the hero of music press, who had a kind of cult following, while Jagger was the super star of larger attention. The people who know about music, knew Richards' significance. Like DandelionPowderman pointed out, the rock and roll 'outlaw' life and the drug busts gave him quite a lot, not initially so good publicity, but in the end, in a long run, that worked greatly for him in creating the image, the myth of rock and roll survivor. During the 80’s, after cleaning up the hard drugs, he really became a darling of the press, and pretty much by the expanse of Jagger. And Keith learned how to make headlines. He became - especially after Jagger's solo 'disaster', as SweetThing mentioned - a Jagger-like celebrity enjoying the media attention. The tension between him and Jagger was not any longer one living as a superstar in the world of paparazzes, and one in the heroic realm of music scenes, now it was the both of them living in the first mentioned realm, and confronting each other there.

Anyway, to my fan’s eyes, I haven’t really liked the post 80's development. The Keith Ricahrds of last decade(s) is so lost to his own myth and fame, that I think is pretty hard to recognize the 'cool' features this man once had. The latter devolopment seem to unfortunately to go with losing his musical touch.I think Keith Richards enjoys too much for just being Keith Richards, the legend, a celebrity in his own terms. One can only think how much Johnny Depp imitation, and finally the great attention LIFE gathered, to not forget the sales, had for Keith's ego. And the content of LIFE documented pretty clearly that he doesn't care for The Rolling Stones any longer. It's only the legend of KEEF left.

Sorry Naturalust for the long paragraphs... I try to change my bad habits..

- Doxa

I agree with you. It has been a sad, sad, sad thing to be witness to. Sad for Keith and sad for the critics and their lack of judgement and critical sense. I'm not sure, though, that I agree with the dogma of Keith being the sole soul of The Stones. KRs solo albums do not convince me of that. They might be charming, but seems satisfied by playing safe, when most daring the tracks are pale shadows of Tom Waits. There is more to the soul of RS than just the old pirate.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: March 21, 2012 11:34

I believe Townshend got his windmill idea from watching Keith warming up before he went on stage.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 21, 2012 11:35

Doxa, spot on again. Also, read what Anita and others says about they efforts put in making Brian invisible from 1965 onwards. She called it a conspiracy but it's of course just some very nasty PR. No interviews (the creation of Keith on behalf of Brian), no real part in videos (JJF) etc. Like any other boy band really. Anita seemed to draw the same conclusion later about Mick and Keith. Daltons "the First twenty years".

Date: March 21, 2012 11:37

DandelionPowderman
As a person, I don't think he has changed a lot. The problem is probably that others grew up winking smiley

That was a good one. grinning smiley

I sometimes view Keith like as a Michael Jackson of rock and roll. Living in his own bubble, making his own rules, having a life style and time of his own... but the point in that all is that it is possible since having so much money and babysitters around him to save his ass; so he has always have lived very secured, priveleged life, even when he was a junkie. One does need to grow up in the premises like that if one chooses not to. One feature in LIFE I dislike is the a sort of teenanager boy angst in thinking like "I can say anything I want, man, and I can go away with it. Because I am Keith Richards. Hahhahha" Surely he can. It's still the attitude of "we piss anywhere, man". But pretty immature and stupid for a man in his sixties. What puzzles me is that is it real 'honest' Keith Richards speaking there - and actually being so stupid - or is it just keeping up appearances - which is also stupid. No win situation.

The ridiculous, embarrassing 't-gate' is an exact consequence of that attitude.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-21 11:40 by Doxa.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: March 21, 2012 12:31

I sometimes view Keith like as a Michael Jackson of rock and roll. Living in his own bubble, making his own rules, having a life style and time of his own

I think Keith was a bit like that even at Art school.

Keith does turn up for Stones tours and other things.

Tours are hard work and so is recording and writing songs and getting things right.

I read where Keith stayed up for 5 days on Coke trying to get some studio tracks right.

Keith and the Stones are near 70 or over and touring is hard work even at their current help level.

I don't know why some people want to see an upcoming tour as the Stones have done all they are going to do by now.

The Stones prime days are over.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-21 12:36 by howled.

Date: March 21, 2012 12:49

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

That was a good one. grinning smiley

I sometimes view Keith like as a Michael Jackson of rock and roll. Living in his own bubble, making his own rules, having a life style and time of his own... but the point in that all is that it is possible since having so much money and babysitters around him to save his ass; so he has always have lived very secured, priveleged life, even when he was a junkie. One does need to grow up in the premises like that if one chooses not to. One feature in LIFE I dislike is the a sort of teenanager boy angst in thinking like "I can say anything I want, man, and I can go away with it. Because I am Keith Richards. Hahhahha" Surely he can. It's still the attitude of "we piss anywhere, man". But pretty immature and stupid for a man in his sixties. What puzzles me is that is it real 'honest' Keith Richards speaking there - and actually being so stupid - or is it just keeping up appearances - which is also stupid. No win situation.

The ridiculous, embarrassing 't-gate' is an exact consequence of that attitude.

- Doxa

People who know him personally say he's a totally different guy, compared to "Media-Keith". You might say it's stupid to try to keep up being the guy that the fans want to see, but hey, that's what most rock stars do.

People talk very little about carbon touring, saving hospitals, buying guitars to starving black musicians, paying for funerals, letters to fans/fellow musicians who are struggling etc. That would be the "real" Keith Richards, imo.

It's easy to get stuck in "todger gates", drugs, blades, way of speaking etc., but if you must judge, judge the whole man.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 21, 2012 13:07

Is DandelionPowderman Jane Rose?????

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1202
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home