Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

JERRY LEE LEWIS - HONKY TONK WOMAN
Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: March 15, 2012 22:31

Re: JERRY LEE LEWIS - HONKY TONK WOMAN
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 15, 2012 22:43

Last Man Standing version: I don't like it at all, the version that is.

I prefer his cover with Springsteen on Pink Cadillac, and That Kind of Fool with Keith.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 16, 2012 00:01

Well, first of all Kid Rock would screw up a wet dream.What a friggin' joke he is.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 16, 2012 00:21

Cool arrangement with Woody in the background. And yes, Kid Rock completely has no clue and should not be allowed anywhere near a stage.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 16, 2012 00:30

Not the best song on that album. Although I also think Kid Rock's verse is the best part of the song. Don't understand the hate for that guy. I don't like his earlier stuff, but his last two albums have shown he has an enthusiasm and appreciate for rock music. His last album was in fact probably more country-ish than rock. He's A-OK in my book.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 16, 2012 00:39

Kid Rock ruins it. He is terrible.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: March 16, 2012 01:08

This is more like it- London 1973, with Rory, Clapton, Kenney Jones, Albert Lee, etc...

Date: March 16, 2012 04:16

Kid Rock makes my butt itch and by all the glances between Jerry, Merle,Keith and Willie I think they are inclined to agree...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-16 04:17 by scottkeef.

Date: March 16, 2012 05:33

My god is he bad! What an embarrassment.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 16, 2012 05:39

Man..anyone else get a cold chill when you watch Keith zip past Kid Rock @ 3:00? He avoided him like the plague and siding with the other musicians off in the corner of the stage. I have this DVD and I always skip this performance.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 16, 2012 05:49

I think Jerry Lewis' version would be better.

Date: March 16, 2012 06:07

yeah Kid Rock is a joke. A poser and just plain obnoxious. I am embarrassed he is from my home town. S U C K S !

Date: March 16, 2012 11:20

All told: it was a poor choice for the Killer to cover. He has made up for it with Evening Gown, Sweet Virginia, Dead Flowers though.

Date: March 16, 2012 16:42

Yeah, the Killer still don't miss very often and usually when he does someone else has a hand in it, and you are right tomcasagranda..Jerry Lee makes Evening Gown HIS song and his "That Kinda Fool" with Keith's harmony vocals still sends chills down my spine!

Date: March 16, 2012 23:08

Scottkeef,

Jerry Lee does misfire sometimes, due to others, as you rightly stated: it can be the producer's fault, as in Shelby Singleton getting him to re-record his sun classics in 1963 for Smash, or Jerry Kennedy smothering his country material in strings. Stan Kessler also did the same thing on sessions in 1973, which produced Sometimes A Memory Just Ain't Enough and I-40 Country. Honky Tonk Wine would have seriously benefitted with no strings and backing vocals.

Also, from 1983/84, MCA gave Jerry Lee rubbish songs and rubbish production: I Am What I Am is an awful album, apart from the Mickey Newbury number That Was The Way It Was Then.

Sometimes, Jerry Lee is the best thing on a pedestrian album: Class of 55 springs to mind. The best Jerry Lee album, in my opinion, is Southern Roots from 1973, produced by Huey Meaux. The piano is miked right, the song choice is excellent, and the backing musicians are the MGs, Tony Joe White, Carl Perkins, Doug Sahm amongst others. The second best Jerry Lee album is his country comeback album, Another Place, Another Time.

Date: March 17, 2012 01:33

Yeah, that is a great LP. My late brother's alltime favorite Killer tune is on there..MEAT MAN!!! Also THe London Sessions is a pretty cool album.

Date: March 17, 2012 12:57

1973 was the Killer's zenith year.

He had the London Sessions, Sometimes A Memory, Southern Roots, and I-40 Country.

The London Sessions and Southern Roots were mostly rock, and Sometimes A Memory and I-40 were country albums.

As a footnote to The London Sessions, he also recorded a great single called Jack Daniels Old Number 7, which neither hit country or rock charts. It's a fine track though, and one of the Killer's best.

Also, in 1973, the Killer made his first appearance at The Grand Ol Opry, where he sang mostly rock n roll numbers, totally messing with the programme schedule too.

Sometimes A Memory was an over-produced Nashville album, but it does have some great tracks on it: a corker of a cover of Ride Me Down Easy is on it. The aforementioned Honky Tonk Wine.

However, after 1973, and there is a long fall, with personal problems coming to the fore, and bad musical choices also a factor.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 17, 2012 17:27

Justin
Man..anyone else get a cold chill when you watch Keith zip past Kid Rock @ 3:00? He avoided him like the plague and siding with the other musicians off in the corner of the stage. I have this DVD and I always skip this performance.

Yeah, and then just before 4:00 he is all smiling and hugging with him.

Date: March 17, 2012 18:29

Probably told him "You're acting like an ass" while he's smiling..

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: March 17, 2012 19:19

tomcasagranda
Scottkeef,

Jerry Lee does misfire sometimes, due to others, as you rightly stated: it can be the producer's fault, as in Shelby Singleton getting him to re-record his sun classics in 1963 for Smash, or Jerry Kennedy smothering his country material in strings. Stan Kessler also did the same thing on sessions in 1973, which produced Sometimes A Memory Just Ain't Enough and I-40 Country. Honky Tonk Wine would have seriously benefitted with no strings and backing vocals.

Also, from 1983/84, MCA gave Jerry Lee rubbish songs and rubbish production: I Am What I Am is an awful album, apart from the Mickey Newbury number That Was The Way It Was Then.

Sometimes, Jerry Lee is the best thing on a pedestrian album: Class of 55 springs to mind. The best Jerry Lee album, in my opinion, is Southern Roots from 1973, produced by Huey Meaux. The piano is miked right, the song choice is excellent, and the backing musicians are the MGs, Tony Joe White, Carl Perkins, Doug Sahm amongst others. The second best Jerry Lee album is his country comeback album, Another Place, Another Time.
I agree with this post completely yet I've never heard the Southern Roots album that I can recall so I need to look this one up. Thanks for that!

Date: March 17, 2012 20:19

Heres a little coversation from those sessions...of course aside from everything else Meaux did turn out to be a complete and huge ass....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-17 20:19 by scottkeef.

Date: March 17, 2012 22:52

The dialogue highlighted just how refreshed Jerry Lee, Huey, and Tony Joe White were.

I just wish a label like rhinohandmade, or Bear Family as a double cd, could reissue the complete Southern Roots sessions, dialogue included. There's an amazing song called All Over Hell and Half of Georgia which totally sums Jerry Lee up.

A case in point is a song called I Sure Miss Those Good Old Times: it was written by Mack Vickery, and recorded at the Southern Roots session. It was discarded, and Jerry Lee returned to it three years' later for his Country Class album. Now Huey Meaux recorded it perfectly, but when Jerry Lee returned to it, under the aegis of Jerry Kennedy, it was given a plethora of overdubs, and sounded nowhere near as good as the previous version.

The trouble is Bear Family only issued the Southern Roots sessions as part of a 10 cd boxed set, which was very steep in price. Bear Family have issued some gospel sessions from late 1970, but I still feel Southern Roots should have a comprehensive set. The Session is, in my opinion, nowhere near as good as Southern Roots.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 18, 2012 00:51

I've heard several ''country '' versions of this song,all are pretty samey and average at best,what surprises me is that no one has done it the way The Stones did it Country .Country Honk

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1402
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home