Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 38
Re: Stones tour pushed back to 2013
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 15, 2012 06:16

71Tele
cowboytoast
for the last 23 years or so...i've been the one out of my friend group that's stuck up for them when all of the old cliches' started coming out..

for the first time ever...i have a bad feeling about it...and it's just because of how Keith has been since 2005 and especially after the incident...it's the longest period of inactivity ever...and there has to be a reason for it...

cheering him on after those horrid performances as of late is pretty condescending...it's not like he doesn't have all of the money in the world to hire the best doctors ever...this is why it's troubling...just Google "Keith Richards Hands" and look at the pictures...yeesh...it's so over...and it bums me out...

I have felt for a long time that Keith's health problems - whatever they are, are the thing holding things up. They need a work-around, and how do you work around the fact that the guy who used to be the musical engine of the band can no longer do it? The obvious answer (to me) is you use both Wood and Mick Taylor to cover for Keith. This would be appropriate, as three Stones guitar legends would share the stage at the end of their career, and from a practical point of view you have two other guitarists who are very familiar with Keith's style and parts - enough to do credible versions of pretty much any Rolling Stones song. This would let Keith coast a bit and bask in the glory, and frankly he's earned it. I cannot imagine why they would opt for Jeff Beck or any other solution than this obvious one which would keep all the guitars in the hands of actual Rolling Stones. Unless of course that the animus toward Taylor is still so strong and the feelings so petty that they want to exclude him no matter what.

Perhaps getting MT and Bill on board is easier said than done. I would bet both would be holding out for a fairly substantial pay day, and only fair IMHO.

Still...all signs were looking pretty positive for something to happen before today. We all knew Keith's hands just werent' going to cut it. Blondie has been in the background for a good long time for a reason, and it's been 5 years since the last show, so that situation hasn't been improving.

Something seems to have unravelled at the last moment, and I would worry that there may be something additional happening with Keith.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: March 15, 2012 06:19

smileys with beer
tkl7
Justin
gmanp
Is there a press release, or anything really official about this, any where yet?

How official do you need it? The quotes came directly from Keith Richards.

Not the quote about his health - That was attributed to "stones insiders," which could very well mean that the reporter was reading the threads posted on this very board. Is Keith in bad health? @#$%& if I know! I guess not in bad health enough to record an album, though. So why don't we wait and see, instead of being a bunch of negative nancys and/or making judgments without reading the actual article - or the full version of the interview that hasn't even come out yet.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 15, 2012 07:03

Just get these five guys together (plus Wood) and play this:

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 15, 2012 08:00

It would be incredibly satisfying to see all these guys playing together again. Let's hope Keith uses the next few months wisely so he can join in on the fun next year.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: March 15, 2012 08:30

stonescrow
carlostones10
I don´t know where the people read keith says the Stones will tour in 2013. Keith just says: no tour in 2012. And says something like "would be nice, maybe... is more realistic 2013"... but he doesn´t said the Stones will tour in 2013.

I am sorry.

Read again. If you still don't see it then read between the lines. If you are going to understand your Rolling Stones you will need to master the art of reading between the lines. I am sorry.smiling smiley

Have you taken your medication today?

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 15, 2012 08:51

The entire article from the March 29th, 2012 issue of Rolling Stone
nothing new but more hursh about Richards condition. Still no word from Mick about whatever future plans(2013 tour or new album)

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: March 15, 2012 09:15

71Tele
I have felt for a long time that Keith's health problems - whatever they are, are the thing holding things up. They need a work-around, and how do you work around the fact that the guy who used to be the musical engine of the band can no longer do it? The obvious answer (to me) is you use both Wood and Mick Taylor to cover for Keith. This would be appropriate, as three Stones guitar legends would share the stage at the end of their career, and from a practical point of view you have two other guitarists who are very familiar with Keith's style and parts - enough to do credible versions of pretty much any Rolling Stones song. This would let Keith coast a bit and bask in the glory, and frankly he's earned it. I cannot imagine why they would opt for Jeff Beck or any other solution than this obvious one which would keep all the guitars in the hands of actual Rolling Stones. Unless of course that the animus toward Taylor is still so strong and the feelings so petty that they want to exclude him no matter what.

Who should provide Richards with all this? Jagger, I understand. I think it would be easier in every way for Mick to try and cover the limitations of his friend(or at least partner), not a man who thrust a knife in your back at every opportunity.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 15, 2012 09:16

This is quite interesting to read, a first to me to see this in print sanctioned by the Stones:

>>>
But Stones insiders say that one reason for the delay is Richards' health, which has raised questions about his ability to make it through a worldwide tour. The quality of the guitarist's performances declined after he suffered a head injury on vacation in Fiji in April 2006, midway through the Bigger Bang tour. Many fans observed that his playing in Martin Scorsese's Shine a Light documentary later that year was weak – and often inaudible. After the tour, Richards put the guitar down completely.>>

I just really don't see them ever touring again. We discussed this before, but seeing Richards with Elvis Costello and on that Hubert Sumlin gig we just all know it is over for him and the Stones. And I guess that when a promotor offers them a gazillion dollars for some shows this year they will do it, but I have the idea that no one offered them that kind of money, due to Richards health AND due to the soccer championship and the Olympic games. The interest to pay 200 euro for the last Stones gigs will be much less this year than next year.

Mathijs

Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: March 15, 2012 09:18

The documentry could have film from the studio meeting in Dec that would be a good thing.It may also go into the problems with Keiths hands and how he is having tratment.
And tour on hold mabee so they can get the whole band working as a unit After all Bil has been away for a long time.
Maybe Bill is going to be busy till next year and they want to do it the way it should be done,so lets wait and see it will be worth it..

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 15, 2012 09:32

TeddyB1018
I'd think this is Mick's way of letting everyone know that he's not standing in the way of the Stones performing. ...
Either way, this is all with an eye toward the Stones gearing up, not down.

thanks for your input TeddyB1018.

having slept on it ... if any real "Stones insiders" leaked a bandmember's personal problems to the press that way
it would a major departure from the way the Rolling Stones have always dealt with things.
we have enough precedents to see that they keep issues like that quiet until they're ready to make a statement -
they don't act like fluttery starlets dropping hints. we'll find out what's going on when the Stones tell us directly.

but of course one worries anyway. all kinds of blessings and well-being on all the Rolling Stones and their families, for good

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-15 22:44 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 15, 2012 10:51

with sssoul

having slept on it ... if any real "Stones insiders" leaked a bandmember's personal problems to the press that way
it would a major departure from the way the Rolling Stones have always dealth with things.

I really don't think that Rolling Stone magazine publishes this without it being sanctioned by Jagger, simple as that. 'Stones insiders' just really means Jagger.

Mathijs

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 15, 2012 11:00

Send It To me
Keith Richards health has beeen a concern for tour promotors since 1972.

LOL

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 15, 2012 11:09

In 2013, I frankly could not care if KR was just on stage to do back-up vocals and occasional lead vocals, it is all to do with the chemistry.

During the BB Tour, especially the London O2 shows, sure I was massively disappointed with KR's impaired ability to play, but with hindsight... if he can't play like he used to (or at all), it is really sad, BUT his stage presence to merely represent a unsurpassed and unsurpassable stellar legacy is enough.

I hope he's a cool enough cat to just be straight-up with people and say, "this is the deal guys, ma fingers ain't up to it, but ya know I'm here so just enjoy the vibe brothers and sisters."

I also fail to believe they will not do a one off show on 12 July 2012.

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: March 15, 2012 11:16

TeddyB1018
I'd think this is Mick's way of letting everyone know that he's not standing in the way of the Stones performing. Keith is playing very well in the studio. If nothing unexpected happens, I would be confident that they will put together an act for the dates next year. I also wouldn't be surprised if both Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor were part of that act. As for KR, he'll be rocking. It won't be like when Pete Townshend played acoustic guitar behind glass for the Who in '89.

I also would not be surprised if the new studio recordings were part of a box set or the like rather than a full album, though that may depend on how the sessions go. Either way, this is all with an eye toward the Stonex gearing up, not down.

Teddy, with all the respect, what do you mean? They agreed to tour as far back as September. Although nothing has been booked, but something was planned. They chanded their mind very recently.
Why suddenly Jagger has to prove that "he's not standing in the way of the Stones performing"?
And there is nothing at all from Mick in this article about any tour plans.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: March 15, 2012 11:18

SonicDreamer
I also fail to believe they will not do a one off show on 12 July 2012.

They might. They might be in the studio during that month, and pop out to
a club for a quick set of bluesy standards. Maybe even stream some of it for free.
I expect such a thing would be fun and a glorious mess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-15 11:21 by superrevvy.

Date: March 15, 2012 11:21

Mathijs
with sssoul

it would a major departure from the way the Rolling Stones have always dealth with things.

I really don't think that Rolling Stone magazine publishes this without it being sanctioned by Jagger, simple as that. 'Stones insiders' just really means Jagger.

Mathijs

Gazza posted on RO

"For what its worth, this reporter called me a month ago to ask for my opinions about a Stones tour...And in fairness, he's spoken to Keith recently too, as he did in October 2011 (he told me how the interview came about)".

So maybe this info goes straight from Keith himself?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:13

Interesting post by GlimmerGirl24 on Shidoobee...for what it may be worth...

"Keith's health issues have nothing to do with arthritis. According to a source I consider credible, Mick has also talked and said the tour planned for this year was 30 dates spread over a few months with ten dates each in LA at Staples, NYC at MSG and London at O2. Wyman was planning to be part of the tour. Unfortunately, the band couldn't get Keith insured for the tour. Keith has good days and bad days, on the bad days - he can't perform. At the recent Hubert Sumlin show - supposedly he was having a bad moment and that is why he was on stage without his guitar. He improved later in the show. Anyway, the Stones were unable to find a physician that would sign off that Keith was healthy enough to play the dates.

Supposedly, Keith has had mini strokes over the past several years - which might or might not be related to the brain injury, but I suspect the mini strokes were an issue before that. There were vision issues after the brain injury and that have been corrected. However, he's a stroke risk, has to avoid stimulants that raise his blood pressure and does have bad days where he can't function at the level he would need to for a tour. No insurance, no tour.

The Stones are hoping that Keith's condition will improve enough that they are able to insure him next year.

Take it all with a grain of salt, but the explanation that they are unable to insure Keith seems very credible. Mini-strokes also explains behavior we saw on the last tour. "

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:14

Mathijs
This is quite interesting to read, a first to me to see this in print sanctioned by the Stones:

"But Stones insiders say that one reason for the delay is Richards' health, which has raised questions about his ability to make it through a worldwide tour. The quality of the guitarist's performances declined after he suffered a head injury on vacation in Fiji in April 2006, midway through the Bigger Bang tour. Many fans observed that his playing in Martin Scorsese's Shine a Light documentary later that year was weak – and often inaudible. "

-----------------------

He's probably OK to do some recording where they can take breaks and mix him in on the board but a tour presents other problems. I think he was in audible in 2006 because they dialed him down on the sound board and at other time he just didn't play. He lurked around an aful lot in 2006.

In 2005 I could hear every little mistake Keith made during shows from being wasted. Not in 2006. Then there were the set list changes. Satisfaction changed as well to what I call a rakish chord. It sounded cool but is was much easier for him to play.

I don't think there will be any shows in 2013. Just new video in studio sessions mixed wi archive releases, interviews, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-15 12:15 by rogue.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:28

Send It To me
Interesting post by GlimmerGirl24 on Shidoobee...for what it may be worth...

According to a source I consider credible, Mick has also talked and said the tour planned for this year was 30 dates spread over a few months with ten dates each in LA at Staples, NYC at MSG and London at O2. Wyman was planning to be part of the tour. Unfortunately, the band couldn't get Keith insured for the tour. Keith has good days and bad days, on the bad days - he can't perform. At the recent Hubert Sumlin show - supposedly he was having a bad moment and that is why he was on stage without his guitar. He improved later in the show. Anyway, the Stones were unable to find a physician that would sign off that Keith was healthy enough to play the dates.

Supposedly, Keith has had mini strokes over the past several years - which might or might not be related to the brain injury, but I suspect the mini strokes were an issue before that. There were vision issues after the brain injury and that have been corrected. However, he's a stroke risk, has to avoid stimulants that raise his blood pressure and does have bad days where he can't function at the level he would need to for a tour. No insurance, no tour.

The Stones are hoping that Keith's condition will improve enough that they are able to insure him next year.

Take it all with a grain of salt, but the explanation that they are unable to insure Keith seems very credible. Mini-strokes also explains behavior we saw on the last tour. "

In my opinion, this is all nonsense and disinfo, the same as what Gazza was
spreading. There was never any tour seriously considered for this year.
And Keith has not had any mini strokes. Even more ridiculous is the notion
that Keith couldn't play his guitar at the Apollo, but ten minutes later he
could. As I said, nonsense and disinfo.

That doesn't mean that concerns about Keith's health are not in play. It just
means that he has not had any strokes. Any signs that are being interpreted
in that way are because of the side effects of all the prescription drugs
he is using. Prescription drugs are the concern right now, after what they
did to Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. In my opinion.

Also, the notion that Keith couldn't find a doctor to certify him for a
tour is laughable. You give them enough money, they'll certify anything.
and then give you a few more prescriptions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-15 12:46 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:30

INSURE KEITH!!!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:35

Alot of people poat how bad Keith played after his fall. I saw two shows after that and Keith played pretty damn good. I saw a few shows before the fall whee his was terrible. That's just the way he is. And don't blame it on his fingers. Arthritis doesn't make you play in the wrong key.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:39

this is what is amazing. Yesterday sad smiley and today some 8 pages news spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
with a Wyman reunion.
Save your money for 2013. Will be the last act.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:52

Sounds promising, doesn't it? I don't think that they'll dare to perform live again unless Keith will be albe to pull off a performance at least as good as in 2007 (second night @ 02 could be a fair point of reference).

If Bill joins, than it will be really awesome!!

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: March 15, 2012 13:00

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 15, 2012 13:04

Send It To me
Interesting post by GlimmerGirl24 on Shidoobee...for what it may be worth... At the recent Hubert Sumlin show -
supposedly [Keith] was having a bad moment and that is why he was on stage without his guitar. He improved later in the show.

but but but that's silly - that number (Goin Down Slow) has a "spoken" part in between the regular sung parts.
Clapton didn't want to do the "spoken" bits and it was proposed that Keith should do it.
and since GG24's "reliable informant" got something like that all wrong, why would the rest be correct

Mathijs
I really don't think that Rolling Stone magazine publishes this without it being sanctioned by Jagger, simple as that.
'Stones insiders' just really means Jagger.

i understand that's your theory, Mathijs - and you're entitled to speculate just like everybody else

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-15 13:08 by with sssoul.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 15, 2012 13:23

Looking forward to the documentary coming out around September hopefully.Dunno whether it will play to cinemas first or TV and then DVD.Anyway,that's the next thing to look forward to for me ,concerning The Rolling Stones as a band.I dare say they will all be doing their own things in the meantime,especially Ronnie and Charlie. thumbs up

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: March 15, 2012 13:39

Source:

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 15, 2012 13:49

Superrevvy, it is not he Stones who choose the doctor, but the insurance company.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 15, 2012 14:03

Agreed wsssoul.....

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 15, 2012 14:08

with sssoul
Send It To me
Interesting post by GlimmerGirl24 on Shidoobee...for what it may be worth... At the recent Hubert Sumlin show -
supposedly [Keith] was having a bad moment and that is why he was on stage without his guitar. He improved later in the show.

but but but that's silly - that number (Goin Down Slow) has a "spoken" part in between the regular sung parts.
Clapton didn't want to do the "spoken" bits and it was proposed that Keith should do it.
and since GG24's "reliable informant" got something like that all wrong, why would the rest be correct

Mathijs
I really don't think that Rolling Stone magazine publishes this without it being sanctioned by Jagger, simple as that.
'Stones insiders' just really means Jagger.

i understand that's your theory, Mathijs - and you're entitled to speculate just like everybody else

Here is an account of how and why Keith did the spoken part on Goin' Down Slow, from somebody who was present:

[www.relix.com]

Do you have a Keith Richards story from that Hubert Sumlin night?

Eric Clapton was working up the Howlin’ Wolf version of “Goin’ Down Slow.” The Wolf version has a recitation in the beginning and in the middle that was done by Willie Dixon, who wrote “Goin’ Down Slow.” Eric didn’t want to do the recitation and he wanted someone else to do it. Originally he had asked Willie Weeks to do it and they were kind of just joking around but I could tell Willie didn’t want to do it. Now Keith Richards was sitting by the piano just watching the whole rehearsal, he wasn’t playing at that particular moment. And you could see it leading up to, “Why doesn’t Keith do the spoken recitation?” So I saw it coming and then Eric said, “Keith, you do it,” and Keith’s like, “I don’t know it.” And he said, “It’s right there on the teleprompter.” So Keith got up and did the recitation in rehearsal and then it carried over to the show, which was absolutely perfect. It was exactly what needed to happen.[/quote]

P.S. - this is not supposed to explain everything away - it's clear Keith has some problems, although it's not at all clear what they are, and I'm not about to start diagnosing. However, Goin' Down Slow without his guitar was always meant to be that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-15 14:14 by Green Lady.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 38

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1347
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home