Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
what is the artsiest, bravest, edgiest thing the Stones have done in the last 30 years?
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 7, 2012 23:34

When have they pushed their art to the edge? When have they taken a chance?

Re: what is the artsiest, bravest, edgiest thing the Stones have done in the last 30 years?
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 7, 2012 23:51

Continental Drift on Steel Wheels springs to mind.

So too does How Can I Stop on B2B.

Re: what is the artsiest, bravest, edgiest thing the Stones have done in the last 30 years?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 7, 2012 23:59

Thru And Thru - especially the outtake version with all those haywire guitars and synths going off in the background. Sounds like some tripped out nightmare.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 8, 2012 00:03

The live version of Out of Control was brilliant. Pretty Beat Up has a unique Stones groove.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 8, 2012 00:07

might as well get juiced

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 8, 2012 00:12

Keiths moustache.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 8, 2012 00:18

They've allowed us to post messages on IORR without lawsuits.

Date: March 8, 2012 00:22

Highwire was an acute comment at the time (as well as a killer single).

2000 Light Years live was bold.

Opening with Not Fade Away was gutsy.

The Wandering Spirit solo tour of America was ballsy (oh wait, that didn't happen)

Date: March 8, 2012 00:33

Sendittome, this is a really good thread idea. In itself, kind of gutsy.
I'd say the double shot of "Thief in the Night/How Can I Stop" to close out B2B was a great call.
Also "Stripped" was a good album and idea. It could have been even better.
Oh - "Plundered my Soul" - yes.
The whole 'Undercover' album has some challenging sounds.
The year of the trio "Wandering Spirit/Slide On This/Main Offender" was a glorious year for me.
Standing up for Justin Timberlake was cool.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 8, 2012 00:36

To be honest, I don't think the Stones have done anything braver than they did around 1964. That's when they set the trends, when they dedicated themselves to playing the blues they loved and going on stage without suits. Doing Little Red Rooster on tv.

In the mid-60's they started to kind of follow Dylan and the Beatles with the folkish pop and songwriting, and you could argue that they haven't done anything "brave" since.

Except -- they've always done what they felt like, even if it meant that they were following trends and aping other artists.

Ultimately, the bravest thing they've done in the last 30 years, or the last 45 years, is to just soldier on and continue to play, record and tour in spite of what everybody says about them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-08 00:38 by LieB.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 8, 2012 00:39

Undercover album the artsiest
Undercover of the Night song the edgiest
promoting Streets of Love on a daytime soap opera the bravest (as well as the stupidest)

Date: March 8, 2012 01:01

Palace Revolution 2000
Sendittome, this is a really good thread idea. In itself, kind of gutsy.
I'd say the double shot of "Thief in the Night/How Can I Stop" to close out B2B was a great call.
Also "Stripped" was a good album and idea. It could have been even better.
Oh - "Plundered my Soul" - yes.
The whole 'Undercover' album has some challenging sounds.
The year of the trio "Wandering Spirit/Slide On This/Main Offender" was a glorious year for me.
Standing up for Justin Timberlake was cool.

Aww, thanx Palace Revolution. Your nominations/observations are quite good.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 8, 2012 01:10

Officialy = Stripped
Unofficially = All the Voodoo stuff (Brew -Stew & Residue)

HMN

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 01:58

open the vaults and then add new vocal and music overdubs to them

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: March 8, 2012 02:21

Keith snorting his fathers ashes.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 02:28

Undercover as a single.
Brilliant, timely, edgy and funky.

Date: March 8, 2012 02:53

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: March 8, 2012 04:06

Bridges To Babylon, Stripped, opening the vaults for Exile, L&G, Some Girls, Live In Texas, and Brussels affair. I could care less about Hampton though.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: March 8, 2012 04:48

Don't know what I'd add to what's here, but I really was impressed in '89 with the trio of Paint It, Black, 2000 Light Years, and Symphathy. I thought that was really nicely done.

I feel like some of the Mick stuff on B2B was trying too hard.

I would agree about Stripped.

I also think "Laugh I Nearly Cried" was a good stab.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 8, 2012 05:12

gravity boy- that was funny. how about keith's bandana with the fake hair dangling from the front.?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 8, 2012 05:20

The No Security Tour.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 8, 2012 05:32

Keith climbing that damn tree.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 8, 2012 05:36

In 2005 playing on the Juillard's balcony, just the quintessential quintet, without safety net; they could have crashed but they didn't. That was a cool mini show right there. I will always love them.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: March 8, 2012 06:41

walking away from the really big bucks that the 50th could have generated

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 8, 2012 06:43

I thought it was pretty interesting for them to cover Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" and for Mick to put his own harmonica stamp on it, and turn it into a blues harp thing. I think artistically speaking, this is one of the more creative things they have done in 30 years.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 07:05

I'll agree that the Julliard performance as a simple quintet took some balls. I'm not so sure they totally avoided crashing. It was rough, and the audience seemed incredibly bored by it all. As I recall looking back on it now, anyway.

Although it's become "the thing to do" and therefore maybe not "edgy or artsy" but the Super Bowl in 2006 was certainly somewhat brave. Especially for the Stones, who are more apt than most bands (these days) to crash and burn. They performed well there, under what had to be some intense pressure.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 8, 2012 07:20

Hiring Cohl

Date: March 8, 2012 12:21

Trucking on in '99 after the B2B tour - right into the slightly more adventurous '99 tour.
Anyone know why they really did that?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 8, 2012 12:41

Answering 'I want to Hold Your Hand' with 'Stupid Girl'.

Mathijs

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 12:57

tomcasagranda
Continental Drift on Steel Wheels springs to mind.

So too does How Can I Stop on B2B.

thumbs up I think in years to come Continental drift will be looked on as an absolute Stones classic

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home