Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: MT+ Bob Dylan, live in Rotterdam 1984.
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 6, 2012 14:30

I think Dylan stumped Mick Taylor by playing It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train to Cry.

Taylor said that they never rehearse that one.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 6, 2012 14:47

Isn't there a tape of Dylan announcing a song and Taylor says 'we haven't rehearsed it' and Dylan says 'we play it all the time'.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2012 15:48

"There must be some kinda way outta here" said Mick Taylor to the thief .....

Date: March 6, 2012 16:20

The GR,

That's the song: It Takes A Lot to Laugh.

John Bauldie, RIP, stated just as much in the Bootleg Series Vols 1 - 3 when considering the fast version.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 7, 2012 18:16

Poor old John. Nice guy. Always tolerate a Stones fan who knew little or nothing about Dylan (IE me).

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 7, 2012 18:49

"then in 1991 after GE Smith left."

Imho the late-91 shows are very good. The cover versions of "You don't Know Me" for ex. are superb.

Date: March 7, 2012 19:30

I had the misfortune of seeing Bob in 1991 at Hammersmith Odeon as was.

He was seriously plastered, and Ronnie Wood was more sober than him, which said something. 1995 at Brixton Academy was beyond brilliant, beyond excellent, and utter genius though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 8, 2012 10:37

Much better... <HM>

Different, I would say.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 23:10

Bloomfield and Robertson, a couple of my favorite guitar players, especially Bloomfield. Hear Bob say "Let's go!" during the legendary Newport performance? Reminds me of the great confrontational moment in the UK when he says "Play it f**g loud!"

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 9, 2012 02:06

pmk251
From what I have read and heard over the years it sounds like MT feels that his association with Dylan was his proudest moment. BWMcTell has been a staple in his set list, one would think for that reason. The fact that the Bobcats (and Heylin) do not like this tour does not diminish some of the fine music that was played. It was basically Bob fronting an English RnR band. The video from Wembley is fun...Van, EC. Chrissie Hynde is there and looks like the happiest person in the history of the world. MT walks over and has a word with Eric before...is it Pill-Box Hat? I cannot remember now. I saw a later interview with EC where he said he knew the song anyway.

Heard of this video a few times, but never seen it. Is it on the net? Any link to it?

Re: MT+ Bob Dylan Eoropean Tour 1984.
Posted by: Drummerboy ()
Date: August 7, 2014 14:26

Boy - there sure is a lot of conjecture out there regarding that tour. I was told by MT I had the gig the second day of my entry into the situation. Ian McGlagan got the gig on his first appearance two days later. Greg Sutton I think same day as me. The punkers - the rhythm section that had been in the picture for a while weren't any longer. The talk that nobody knew for sure who was going to be in the band until the day before the first gig is bollocks. After the first days at Bob's home we rehearsed together later for about four days at the Beverley Theatre, where incidentally we all signed contracts. Some days later we flew to Italy. Rehearsing with Bob was nothing more than running through countless songs. No beginnings or endings were worked on. That had to take shape as we played the shows which accounts for the initial un-togetherness as far as endings went, during the first shows in Verona. At the time I expressed my frustration by tossing drumsticks up in the air. These were returned to me after the show by Bob's son Jesse. I never heard of any problems between MT & Bob or indeed Ian but I wasn't party to everything going on. To me Bob seemed pretty OK. about things but who knows what goes on in his head. The only time he questioned anything about me was when he thought I'd counted in "Licence to Kill" a little too fast on one show & he made me aware of that as soon as the song ended. I think Bob & MT conferred as regards who would be in the band. I have no illusions why I got the job. My long time friendship with MT & the many gigs I'd played with him over the years must have been a factor but let's not forget the fact that I was a pretty good drummer with twenty years as a pro behind me. As far as drugs were concerned - there was a bit of coke around at times & most of the band indulged - I can't speak for Bob. I would never say, as Ian intimated that none of us was in good shape & doing loads of various drugs - I didn't drink alcohol & still don't, not even beer. As far as MT being the leader, maybe that's what Bob expected but I've no idea. It seemed to me that in running through all the songs Bob was able to make a mental list of the ones that seemed to sound OK. - that took shape in a natural way without any real discussion - so who needed a leader. If Bob felt comfortable that was what mattered.There were never any "after the show chats" about this song or that song. It was what it was. As far as the tracks released on the Real Live album are concerned - I think good versions of some of Bob's other songs were unfortunately not included. Not much else to say except I got to play with a living legend & in doing so followed in the footsteps of a couple of my favourite drummers, namely Jim Keltner & Levon Helm......................Colin Allen - drummer Dylan European Tour 84

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-07 14:40 by Drummerboy.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 7, 2014 15:07

Hey, thanks for the recollections, Colin! Interesting read!

Welcome to the IORR forum!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 7, 2014 15:24

tomcasagranda
I think Dylan stumped Mick Taylor by playing It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train to Cry.

Taylor said that they never rehearse that one.

That was Dylan's M.O. at the time : play lots of covers at rehearsals just to let every band member confortable with the other ones. But they wouldn't play many from the tour setlist to keep things fresh.

Dylan did want a well-oiled band to go on tour but not one already bored with the setlist.

Date: August 7, 2014 20:26

It's the first forum I've ever bothered with. Am writing a book about my life as a musician consequently I've been all over the net & so found the forum. I felt my knowledge might be enlightening. Only myself & other guys who've played with Dylan know what it's like. Having said that it was probably never the same twice.

Date: August 7, 2014 20:36

Re. dcba.

We played two or three songs on stage without any rehearsal. Lay, Lady Lay. Senor, Heaven's Door & Enough is Enough. None were a problem for me, but then I don't have to worry about chords

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 7, 2014 20:40

Amazing guitarist btw, MT. smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 7, 2014 20:54

Re. LuxuryStones post

What is it with all you MT fans. A band is much more than the guitarist. No-one loves MT more than me. I played hundreds of gigs with him but without a band behind him - he's just noodling.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: August 7, 2014 21:03

Drummerboy
It's the first forum I've ever bothered with. Am writing a book about my life as a musician

Thanks for all the info!
Looking forward to the book!

Now that Mick Taylor has played with the Stones again, a re-grouping of you, Taylor and McLagan with Dylan seems appropriate.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 7, 2014 21:06

Drummerboy
Re. LuxuryStones post

What is it with all you MT fans. A band is much more than the guitarist. No-one loves MT more than me. I played hundreds of gigs with him but without a band behind him - he's just noodling.

Sure a band is much more than the guitarist only, I started this thread,... but just noodling...?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 7, 2014 21:41

Welcome aboard, Colin thumbs up

Date: August 7, 2014 22:10

I happen to have purchased the complete Dylan box, and Real Live does sound improved. There's a glitch with Hard Rain though, which is unfortunate, on Oh Sister.

Real Live is an interesting snapshot of a much maligned underrated tour, and I do enjoy digging it out every so often; it's not my favourite Dylan live - that falls to Before The Flood and At Budokan.

Date: August 7, 2014 22:13

Is it underrated? I've always loved that tour.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 7, 2014 23:14

Welcome to the board Drummerboy

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 8, 2014 06:34

Interesting to hear from someone who was actually there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-08 09:04 by 71Tele.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 8, 2014 07:02

Definitely welcome Drummerboy. Will be interesting to hear a professionals opinion. Hope we're not too much for you. We love The Stones as you might imagine.winking smiley

Date: August 8, 2014 14:17

Re. frankotero.
Thanks for the welcome everybody .........Perhaps I've stepped into a nest of vipers - maybe you will be too much for me. I'm not as crazy about the Stones as you guys but have enjoyed their music over the years. For me - the MT years were the best I suppose. I was with Mick at Hyde Park for his first gig. I also sat with his parents at the Saville Theatre when he played with the Stones in December 69.
Basically we've been good friends since the "Blues from Laurel Canyon" days & I've played with him on many occasions in various situations - we've had a lot of laughs that's for sure.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 8, 2014 14:28

Ha-ha, yeah Drummerboy maybe I would drive you crazy with my fandom. That's one reason why I would never approach my heroes. Must be boring or strange for them I think. Anyhow, I hope you will continue to post here because you can tell us things from a different perspective. Plus you know a lot first hand I'm sure. CBII is another guy like you. He doesn't post much here though, always enjoy it when he does though.

Date: August 8, 2014 14:34

smokeydusky

Now that Mick Taylor has played with the Stones again, a re-grouping of you, Taylor and McLagan with Dylan seems appropriate.

I would think not - for a start I've retired from playing - almost fifty years was enough.

Date: August 8, 2014 14:41

LuxuryStones

Sure a band is much more than the guitarist only, I started this thread,... but just noodling...?

Yeah. Unless he's playing with a band - he's just noodling - playing a guitar for his own amusement.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 8, 2014 15:27

welcome Drummerboy.i would love to hear more !

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home