Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Massive Tornado Outbreak in U.S.!!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 4, 2012 02:55

Chris Fountain
Thanks Max - Too early to tell - it just makes me disillusioned when Euro members talk about the "big freeze" and at the same time homes are destroyed and lives are lost. We simply don't know the extent or potential of these tornadic activities, especially on this scale.

Concerning jaggeroo's comment for not using OT for this topic - seems like the least of issues at this point - I guess cold weather is more important than catastropic Tornadoes...

For people living in this zone, probably not off topic so much as THE ONLY TOPIC! Terrible devastation and loss of life.

Date: March 4, 2012 03:01

Edith Grove
I know only one person having first-hand experience with a tornado.
His house was hit about 3:00 one morning and completely destroyed.
He woke up in the empty lot next door, in his underwear, with only a few cuts & bruises.
In an instant, he lost all his material possessions, but somehow survived nearly unscathed.

This pales in comparison with the news report I just saw.

In yesterday's storms, a two year old girl turned up two miles away from her home, badly injured and in critical condition.
Her entire family was killed, and the tornado apparently carried this young girl for two miles before she finally came to rest on firm ground again.

The girl's extended family is with her, but no report on her prognosis.

That is just gut wrenching.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: March 4, 2012 03:44

at first I didn't like all the OT's, but now I see IORR similar to CNN. and this twister outbreak in the Ohio R. valley is unprecedented...30 dead this morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-04 03:46 by paulm.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 4, 2012 15:44

treaclefingers
Edith Grove
He woke up in the empty lot next door, in his underwear, with only a few cuts & bruises.
In an instant, he lost all his material possessions, but somehow survived nearly unscathed.

In yesterday's storms, a two year old girl turned up two miles away from her home, badly injured and in critical condition.
Her entire family was killed, and the tornado apparently carried this young girl for two miles before she finally came to rest on firm ground again.

Correction: This girl was found TEN miles away from her home.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 4, 2012 15:54

I saw a video of a little town in Indiana that totally disappeared .
I was wondering why in many states of America ,they keep building the houses of the little cities with wood ,instead of stones or concrete like we do over here ?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 4, 2012 15:58

Watched it on the news from the safety of my northern England home, where we only experience heavy rain, gale force winds and occasionally heavy snow. We in England tend to get a bit obsessed with the slightest variation to our rather dull predictable weather, so if it's sunny for a couple of weeks he press call it a heat wave, if it rains for a couple of weeks we are experiencing floods, if it snows for an hour the country grinds to a halt and the schools shut....so, after watching the devastation over in the US, I can honestly say that is serious weather, it must be horrifying when it's coming your way. Hope all of you that live in those areas survived ok and managed to avoid the worst. I'll never complain if it's windy again!

Date: March 4, 2012 17:34

Edith Grove
treaclefingers
Edith Grove

That is unfathomable

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 4, 2012 17:39

SwayStones
I was wondering why in many states of America ,they keep building the houses of the little cities with wood ,instead of stones or concrete like we do over here ?

There is more to it. Tornadoes have always been a staple in the US. We are simply overpopulated and now we are guaranteed to be in Mother's Natures' path. I miss the good ole days when we could drive (in peace)thru the country roads and sling beer bottles or any other thing at road signs.. Yep they were the best of times! The U.S. is now one big parking lot with no where to go!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 4, 2012 21:19

SwayStones
That's a good question Sway. Here on the west coast we spend billions of dollars to retrofit buildings,homes and bridges to try and make them earthquake proof. Yet in the midwest,where they have tornados every year the bulding codes aren't as strict and the damage is devastating.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: March 5, 2012 01:12

sad

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 5, 2012 03:40

Edith Grove
treaclefingers
Edith Grove

Sadly the girl didn't make it.[news.yahoo.com]

Date: March 5, 2012 04:33

sweetcharmedlife
Edith Grove
treaclefingers
Edith Grove

Sadly the girl didn't make it.[news.yahoo.com]

sad smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 5, 2012 05:01

Poor baby. God is with her and them.

Date: March 6, 2012 20:59

Ind. Woman Loses Legs Saving Kids from Tornado
by weather.com, msnbc.com and The Associated Press

Joe and Stephanie Decker (AP Photo/Courtesy of the Decker family)

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- An Indiana woman who saved her two children by binding them together with a blanket and shielding them with her body as a tornado ripped apart their house lost parts of both her legs, which were crushed by the falling debris, her husband says.

Stephanie Decker, 36, lost one leg above the knee and the other above the ankle, and broke seven ribs, but her two children, Dominic, 8, and Reese, 5, were unharmed after a twister with 175 mph winds leveled their house in Marysville, Ind.

"They're screaming, 'Mommy, I can't live without you, I don't want to die, please don't let me die,' and I said, 'You're not going to die. We're going to make it,'" she told NBC's TODAY show in an interview that aired Tuesday.

"Everything started hitting my back," Decker, now listed in fair condition in a Louisville, Ky., hospital, said. "Beams, pillars, furniture -- everything was just slamming into my back, but I had my children and the blanket, and I was on top of them."

Earlier in the day, Stephanie Decker's husband, Joe, had sent his wife a text message from work, telling her that radar was showing a tornado headed straight for their three-story brick and stone house, reported the Louisville Courier-Journal.

Decker, 42, was at Silver Creek High School in Sellersburg, where he teaches algebra, when the tornado hit. With storms expected, the school had been locked down, and he was debating whether to try to race home. Decker exchanged a series of texts with his wife, urging her to get herself and their children into the basement of their sprawling, three-story brick and stone home in Marysville, Ind.

"Then she sent me a text saying the whole house was shaking, and I texted her back and asked her if everything was OK," he said. "I asked her about six or seven times and got no response. That kind of freaked me out."

He said his wife told him later that she was in their walk-out basement, which had French doors leading outside and a wall of windows, when she saw the tornado approaching, moving across the family's 15-acre plot. Stephanie Decker had already tied a blanket around both children and to herself, and she threw herself on top of the children.

"She said she felt the whole house start to go, and then she felt like it moved them about before it kind of wedged her in there, but she was able to keep the kids from moving away," Decker said.

When the tornado passed, Stephanie Decker called to the children. Reese, 5, answered immediately, but Dominic, 8, hesitated before saying he was OK. Decker said his son told him he couldn't hear his mother because of the roar of the storm.

"I looked at my leg and realized either it was cut off, or it was barely attached," she told TODAY. "I took my phone and made a video to my husband telling him I loved him."

Dominic ran next door for help. Neighbor and local sheriff's deputy Brian Lovins came to the rescue, using a belt as a tourniquet to stop the flow of blood from Decker's severed leg.

"She's like, 'I'm dying, I'm dying,'" Lovins told TODAY, his voice breaking with emotion. "Her kids were able to get out and call for help, and her kids saved life."

She has been scheduled to undergo surgery on her legs again Thursday, hospital spokeswoman Holly Hinson said.

"The house is gone. It's pretty amazing that she's alive," Hinson said.

With trees blocking the road after the storm, Decker said he ran part of the way home before two men gave him a ride. He found his house gone and his children with a family friend. His wife had been taken to a hospital 10 miles away, and the men drove him there, allowing him to see Stephanie briefly before she was airlifted to the Louisville hospital.

"I was afraid I might never see her again," Decker said.

Decker said she survived because of her kids.

"I prayed to have the strength to survive," she said. "I wanted these kids to have a mom. I did not want them to have to grow up without me."

[www.weather.com]

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 6, 2012 22:08

sweetcharmedlife
SwayStones
That's a good question Sway. Here on the west coast we spend billions of dollars to retrofit buildings,homes and bridges to try and make them earthquake proof. Yet in the midwest,where they have tornados every year the bulding codes aren't as strict and the damage is devastating.

Chris Fountain
SwayStones

There is more to it. Tornadoes have always been a staple in the US. We are simply overpopulated and now we are guaranteed to be in Mother's Natures' path. I miss the good ole days when we could drive (in peace)thru the country roads and sling beer bottles or any other thing at road signs.. Yep they were the best of times! The U.S. is now one big parking lot with no where to go!

Thanks .
I think both of you are right.
I would ask something else,though,what the US government-not the current or the current ones but all - laws regarding the new buildings ?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 6, 2012 22:35

SwayStones
I would ask something else,though,what the US government-not the current or the current ones but all - laws regarding the new buildings ?

Building and safety laws are created and enforced, in most part, by local governments.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 7, 2012 00:04

SwayStones
sweetcharmedlife
SwayStones

Chris Fountain
SwayStones

Thanks .
I would ask something else,though,what the US government-not the cur
rent or the current ones but all - laws regarding the new buildings ?
What was said earlier on this thread is spot-on. The glut of development in areas that were predominantly empty is a big factor in these heart breaking events. Last year, after the tornado in Alabama there was a great deal of discussion about "sprawl" and how it has led to more people and homes being put in harm's way.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 14, 2012 17:50

Here we go again today? [www.kansascity.com]

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Tornado sirens sounded across Oklahoma City hours before dawn Saturday as the nation's midsection braced for what forecasters cautioned could be a day of "life-threatening" storms, with the most dangerous weather expected to develop in the afternoon.

While officials warned a large area spanning from Minnesota to Texas could be at risk during the weekend, emergency workers focused their attention overnight on central Oklahoma, where they said funnel clouds had been spotted though they couldn't immediately confirm if any had touched down. The area includes the small town of Piedmont, where a twister last May killed several people, including two young boys, authorities said.

"They're probably feeling like they're going through that all over again," Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management spokeswoman Keli Cain said Saturday.
The worst conditions were projected for late Saturday afternoon between Oklahoma City and Salina, Kan., but other areas also could see severe storms with baseball-sized hail and winds of up to 70 mph, forecasters said. The warning issued Friday covers parts of Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas.

On Friday, Norman, Okla., home to the University of Oklahoma campus, got a preview of the potential destruction when a twister whizzed by the nation's tornado forecasting headquarters but caused little damage. Norman Regional Hospital and an affiliate treated 19 people for mainly "bumps and bruises," and one patient remained hospitalized in fair condition late Friday, hospital spokeswoman Kelly Wells said.

The Storm Prediction Center, which is part of the National Weather Service, gave the sobering warning that the outbreak could be a "high-end, life-threatening event."

Director Russ Schneider said it was just the second time in U.S. history that the center issued a high-risk warning more than 24 hours in advance. The first was in April 2006, when nearly 100 tornadoes tore across the southeastern U.S., killing a dozen people and damaging more than 1,000 homes in Tennessee.

It's possible to issue earlier warnings because improvements in storm modeling and technology are letting forecasters predict storms earlier and with greater confidence, said Chris Vaccaro, a spokesman for the National Weather Service. In the past, people often have had only minutes of warning when a siren went off.
"We're quite sure (Saturday) will be a very busy and dangerous day in terms of large tornadoes in parts of the central and southern plains," Vaccaro said. "The ingredients are coming together."

The strongly worded message came after the National Weather Service announced last month that it would start using terms like "mass devastation," "unsurvivable" and "catastrophic" in warnings in an effort to get more people to take heed. It said it would test the new warnings in Kansas and Missouri before deciding whether to expand them to other parts of the country.
Friday's warning, despite the dire language, was not part of that effort but just the most accurate way to describe what was expected, a weather service spokeswoman said.

In Norman, the Red Cross reported about 100 people at a shelter it had established at a recreation center, and most were planning to spend the night.

Red Cross officials were planning to conduct damage assessments Saturday once the storms had cleared.

Video from television helicopters showed several buildings damaged in the city of about 100,000 about 20 miles south of Oklahoma City. The Oklahoman newspaper reported that among the businesses damaged was a custom cake shop, which lost a roof, windows and thousands of dollars' worth of wedding and birthday cakes.
Emergency management officials in Kansas and Oklahoma warned residents to stay updated on weather developments and create a plan for where they and their families would go if a tornado developed.

"We know it's a Saturday and that people are going to be out and about, so stay weather aware," Cain said. "Have your cellphone on you, keep it charged and make sure you're checking the weather throughout the day so you don't get caught off guard."

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 16, 2012 01:39

No heavily populated area was hit, thus damage and loss of life was limited.... but indeed yesterday was a helluva day for tornadoes, over 110 formed [www.youtube.com]. and people just couldnt wait to get them posted on Youtube.

just one of the videos...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-16 01:41 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1632
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home