Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Massive Tornado Outbreak in U.S.!!
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 2, 2012 23:51

Elmo lay low! This viscious storm is rambling throughout the lower Midwest & Southeast U.S.!! Unbelievable Super Cells are wreakin havoc! This is no joke!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 23:59 by Chris Fountain.

Re: Massive Tornado Outbreak in U.S.!!
Date: March 3, 2012 00:02

Nashville - is in direct path now!

Date: March 3, 2012 00:03

22 warnings are in effect!! Unbelievable!!!

Date: March 3, 2012 00:07

Reports are showing immeasurable damage.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: March 3, 2012 00:14

Bobby Keys is in Nashville. I hope he is alright. southside of town is getting hit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 00:17 by tumbled.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 3, 2012 00:18

We're watching it here in Memphis too. It's so early this year. So far it's been to the east of us...the watches are not too far off - but no warnings. So that's good news...

Cleaning the tornado closet & get the kid, the cooler, the cats, the dog, weather radio & my copy of Life ready - just in case...my man's out getting his weekend beer - no storm will stop him.

They are damn scary - they come in so fast - not a lot of time to get ready. Hang on & be safe you guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 00:22 by memphiscats.

Date: March 3, 2012 00:25

Live reports on CNN -- Again devastation hittin multiple states. Hopefully, injuries are limited!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 3, 2012 00:42

,,,amn.... and to think there are people, storm chasers, who going looking
for twisters.. WTF? of course this is a Hollywood dramatization.. but still.... [www.youtube.com]

full VH video...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 3, 2012 00:42

So far 'only' three tornadoes were reported today. Not really a 'massive outbreak'.

Date: March 3, 2012 00:47

Max Kansas City & Koen

No respect for the DOCUMENTED and LIVE chaos goin on as we speak??. Sense of humor is sick. Lives are jeopardized and homes lost.. This is major.

Date: March 3, 2012 00:50

Chris Fountain
Max Kansas City & Koen

No respect for the DOCUMENTED and LIVE chaos goin on as we speak??. Sense of humor is sick. Lives are jeopardized and homes lost.. This is major.

Chris, where do you live?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 00:51 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: March 3, 2012 00:51

Koen
So far 'only' three tornadoes were reported today. Not really a 'massive outbreak'.
The national news channels often over-dramatize things...I just had a friend call from Boston to make sure we were OK. During bad weather, I only watch our local channels but we often hear from friends around the country who think we're being blown to bits.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: March 3, 2012 00:55

I'm glad they put it on the news so you could see it and worry then be upset at them since they didn't say what you thought they should. These things happen quite often, so where are your concern threads during the other storms? Is it bad for those effected? Sure and we are concerned but really your posts come across as if you've never saw or heard about such thing. Plus Max's post wasn't even in a negative impact way.

Date: March 3, 2012 00:59

Max'sKansasCity
Chris Fountain
Max Kansas City & Koen

Max - I live in Miami ...let me tell you, Hurricanes are less intense versus a Tornado. I've withstood many hurricanes. Wilma was the worst! However, Tornadoes are simply on another level.

Date: March 3, 2012 01:01

tumblingdice
I'm glad they put it on the news so you could see it and worry then be upset at them since they didn't say what you thought they should. These things happen quite often, so where are your concern threads during the other storms? Is it bad for those effected? Sure and we are concerned but really your posts come across as if you've never saw or heard about such thing. Plus Max's post wasn't even in a negative impact way.
Thanks tumblingdice, I did not think it was, it wasnt meant to be.
I was more pointing how crazy some people are who chase these things.

Living right here in tornado alley I have great respect for the damage these
thing can do.... The devasation in Joplin Missouri last year was very sobering.

Date: March 3, 2012 01:05

Thats how I took it and yeah those people are crazy but I bet it would be quite a rush...mostly hurricanes in my area (often) but some tornadoes and many stories or them from older family members.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: March 3, 2012 01:07

This is OT

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: March 3, 2012 01:12

Chris Fountain
Max'sKansasCity
Chris Fountain
Max Kansas City & Koen

Max - I live in Miami ...let me tell you, Hurricanes are less intense versus a Tornado. I've withstood many hurricanes. Wilma was the worst! However, Tornadoes are simply on another level.

Dont the media fear mongers get you too riled up. This time of year
on any given Sunday(or other day) here in tornado alley the finger of
God can reach down and do what it wants to do. I respect tornadoes 100%.

This story is from 2 days ago, probably didnt make the nation hype, I mean national news, because it is a small town, not much media coverage and I heard there was not enough money damage to qualify for FEMA money.... but for the people affected IT IS HUGE.

[www.kansascity.com]

Harveyville, Kan., had no warning before tornado made direct hit
But in Harveyville, where twister made direct hit in darkness, there was only one critical injury.
By RICK MONTGOMERY The Kansas City Star

HARVEYVILLE, Kan. -- The old Methodist church on the hill was just a heap of boards surrounding a concrete storm shelter — one built for just the kind of disaster that hit this little town Tuesday night.
But the shelter had been empty when high winds ripped the 1885 structure apart. The town’s 240 residents had gotten no warning of what was about to hit them.

“These people were lucky,” said Mark Engholm of the Kansas Emergency Management Team on Wednesday. “This one spun up really quick and it was done.”
Despite significant damage to half the structures in the town 100 miles southwest of Kansas City, only one person was injured critically enough to stay in the hospital. Three others were taken to hospitals and released; eight were treated on the ground for minor injuries.

The tornado that struck Harveyville — determined Wednesday to be an EF-2 with winds between 111 and 135 miles per hour — formed and disappeared so quickly, within three to five minutes, that no tornado warnings were issued, said George Phillips, science and operations officer for the National Weather Service in Topeka.

Often, the storm systems that spawn tornadoes, such as the massive EF-5 that blasted Joplin, Mo., last May, can be more easily predicted, because the rotations can be seen forming for “tens of minutes” or even hours. The Harveyville twister was not like that; the rotation formed quickly.
“It was there, and it was gone,” Phillips said. “It came up quickly and went away within maybe three minutes after we saw it.”

Motor homes were overturned; cars were thrown 50 feet. Dennis Hinck’s front porch was spun to another side of his house. “It was a tornado, no doubt,” he said. “No straight-line winds do that.”

Date: March 3, 2012 01:13

mickijaggeroo
This is OT

you keep on us posted on that, thanks now.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 3, 2012 01:21

Not to make light of devastation, but yes, this is OT. Secondly, the title is kinda funny. A Tornado Outbreak? Really…? Like a deadly virus? Not the best use of English there.

Date: March 3, 2012 01:21

Yes - Joplin was awful - and Alabama was dreadful - I feel we we're SO LUCKY to miss these storms.

I don't take anything anyone has said here as being callous. Gallows humor is just a way of keeping yourself from freaking out. And I've been through many hurricanes and blizzards - but nothing is as scary as a tornado - they're just so FAST.

Hey Max's - Twister is a seasonal favorite winking smiley
We also watch Airport, Earthquake, and a host of other disaster films - but we make it a goal to try not to reenact them.

Date: March 3, 2012 01:23

Exactly Max, especially something like this that you grow up seeing or hearing all the time. I always feel that while news can be bad and we do care, at any given moment something just as bad or worse is happening somewhere else but it's not getting the media coverage. If we took it all personal we'd only worry and cry 24/7.

Date: March 3, 2012 01:24

memphiscats
We also watch Airport, Earthquake, and a host of other disaster films - but we make it a goal to try not to reenact them.

I first saw Twister in a cheapo theater without good sound, now when we watch it at home with great surround sounds, it is a great... but correct... as a rule of thumb "try not to reenact them"... an especially good rule for cats winking smiley

Date: March 3, 2012 01:27

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 16:31 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: March 3, 2012 01:27

Thanks Max - Too early to tell - it just makes me disillusioned when Euro members talk about the "big freeze" and at the same time homes are destroyed and lives are lost. We simply don't know the extent or potential of these tornadic activities, especially on this scale.

Concerning jaggeroo's comment for not using OT for this topic - seems like the least of issues at this point - I guess cold weather is more important than catastropic Tornadoes...

Date: March 3, 2012 01:29

memphiscats
Yes - Joplin was awful - and Alabama was dreadful - I feel we we're SO LUCKY to miss these storms.

I don't take anything anyone has said here as being callous. Gallows humor is just a way of keeping yourself from freaking out. And I've been through many hurricanes and blizzards - but nothing is as scary as a tornado - they're just so FAST.

Love this post! Gallows humor has got me through alot in life.

Date: March 3, 2012 01:29

tumblingdice
Exactly Max, especially something like this that you grow up seeing or hearing all the time. I always feel that while news can be bad and we do care, at any given moment something just as bad or worse is happening somewhere else but it's not getting the media coverage. If we took it all personal we'd only worry and cry 24/7.
Right on.

What and where and who the news choose to report/care about and what it chooses to ignore always puzzles me. I was especially disgusted with the fear mongering and hyping hurricane season for a couple years after Katrina, hyping it so heavy... and then when there wasnt another direct hit....they wnadered on to something else to scare us to death... like.... OMG !!!! FIVE DOLLAR GAS!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

Date: March 3, 2012 01:38

Chris Fountain
Thanks Max - Too early to tell - it just makes me disillusioned when Euro members talk about the "big freeze" and at the same time homes are destroyed and lives are lost. We simply don't know the extent or potential of these tornadic activities, especially on this scale.

Concerning jaggeroo's comment for not using OT for this topic - seems like the least of issues at this point - I guess cold weather is more imvportant than catastropic Tornadoes...

I can find all info on what ever in the news, I have no idea why news of what ever should be posted here. of course news of a tornado or earthquake or whatever, is important, but is it necessary to post it here? We´ll get that kind of news anyway by watching TV if it´s important enough, right?
Just my 2 cents..

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: March 3, 2012 01:38

I'll put this bad boy OT and remind everyone that Mick was born in a crossfire hurricane but much like these other disasters, it's alright now.....in fact its a gas!

Date: March 3, 2012 01:43

Max'sKansasCity
tumblingdice
Right on.

What and where and who the news choose to report/care about and what it chooses to ignore always puzzles me. I was especially disgusted with the fear mongering and hyping hurricane season for a couple years after Katrina, hyping it so heavy... and then when there wasnt another direct hit....they wnadered on to something else to scare us to death... like.... OMG !!!! FIVE DOLLAR GAS!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
Yup = both sides are right - the storms are awful but the fear-mongers suck. BTW - Outbreak is correct to describe this event. I've the nat'l news on now - and if Outbreak is good enough for Brian Williams and friends - then I think it's acceptable usage on IORR. And I think weather could be deemed on-Stones topics...born in a cross fire hurricane...smoking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1728
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home