Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: In Praise of Monkey Man!
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 1, 2012 21:09

Yeah, Satanic Sessions style box sets for Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed sessions would sure make for some fascinating listening!

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 1, 2012 21:41

stonesdan60
duke richardson
memphiscats
I have to say, after someone shared that YouTube video by CandyFromStranger, I have a completely new appreciation of Monkey Man. The guitar sounds are AMAZING.

Hey Musicians - can you tell me what makes that slight tinkling sound at the beginning of the song - piano? It works so well to balance the guitars (or whatever the musical term is).

THANK YOU MONKEY MAN. Today's favorite Stones song for me - other than tracks from Exile mais oui.
Here's a link to the video for those of you who missed. Sorry I'm not clever enough to imbed the actual file...
Monkey Man Keith Richards
Paint it Black - you devil drinking smiley

>>Hey Musicians - can you tell me what makes that slight tinkling sound at the beginning of the song - piano? It works so well to balance the guitars (or whatever the musical term is<<

Its vibraharp isn't it?

I love that song. I always imaging the jam it must have evolved from..Keith and Charlie..they get each others playing so well..
What a great example of pure Stones studio magic.

I've read that Mick and Keith pretty much wrote it on the spot after an all night coke binge...which might account for the crazy lyrics.
Thanks guys - it's cool to read the extra info, your thoughts, and hear the live versions of this song. I appreciate it.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: March 1, 2012 21:46

Yep I really appreciate this track. A brief but Stones high energy, biting tour de force. Wonderful live.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 1, 2012 22:46

memphiscats--

get that Get Your Yas Yas Out soon!

you'll be high on it for weeks.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 2, 2012 00:04

71Tele
Love the track...the reason I don't like LIB as well as Exile - and it's a very small criticism - is that much of it sounds too clinically clean to me. Not enough grit. Tracks like Midnight Rambler, Live With Me an Love In Vain all sounded much better on Ya Yas, imo.

Eggactly - After YaYa's Midnight Rambler (and especially Brussels) it is hard to listen to the studio version.

Also, I happen to love the lyrics to Monkey Man - great song all around!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 00:06 by LeonidP.

Date: March 2, 2012 00:09

In Awe of Monkey Man!

Date: March 2, 2012 01:00

duke richardson
memphiscats--

I plan to this weekend...YA-YA!! I can't wait - ordering the record now. smoking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 2, 2012 01:19

memphiscats
duke richardson
memphiscats--

I plan to this weekend...YA-YA!! I can't wait - ordering the record now. smoking smiley

I envy the joy of discovery you are about to experience, memphiscats. Report back on your findings!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 2, 2012 01:35

memphiscats,
fyi it is easier than easy to embed video.

Once the video is playing in youtube, copy the address bar, and paste it here, and it goes.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 2, 2012 01:35

Just in case some of you missed the video that memphiscats was referring to...

Best watched full screen with the volume up!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 2, 2012 01:40

Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats,

Once the video is playing in youtube, copy the address bar, and paste it here, and it goes.
Thank you! I can't tell you how many times I've tried and screwed it up - I'll try it again.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 2, 2012 01:53

Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats,

So I noticed that the new embed codes don't put the graphic window here, just the link. So if you copy the address bar instead of embed code that doesn't happen?

Date: March 2, 2012 02:18

71Tele
memphiscats
duke richardson
memphiscats--

I envy the joy of discovery you are about to experience, memphiscats. Report back on your findings!
I definitely will - I just went to Amazon to order the CD and I'm confused...there are at least 2 versions - the one from 1992 is $21 plus - and the one from 2002 is $10. The '92 is digitally remastered "from the orignal studio recording." I thought anything released on CD was "digitally" remastered? Is it the "original studio" the key term here? Has anyone listened to both and can make recommendation? And then there's the whole "collectible" section - that ranges from $17 (used) to $40 - plus (new). Who knew it would so hard to get yer Ya-Yas out?? Suggestions welcome...please...thank you. (I'm not talking about MP3 - discs only - I look at them & read the liner notes...)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2012 02:30

memphiscats
71Tele
memphiscats
duke richardson
memphiscats--

I definitely will - I just went to Amazon to order the CD and I'm confused...there are at least 2 versions - the one from 1992 is $21 plus - and the one from 2002 is $10. The '92 is digitally remastered "from the orignal studio recording." I thought anything released on CD was "digitally" remastered? Is it the "original studio" the key term here? Has anyone listened to both and can make recommendation? And then there's the whole "collectible" section - that ranges from $17 (used) to $40 - plus (new). Who knew it would so hard to get yer Ya-Yas out?? Suggestions welcome...please...thank you. (I'm not talking about MP3 - discs only - I look at them & read the liner notes...)

2002 Remasters are probably the best, with the SACD or DSD remastering, so if it's cheaper, go for that. The Deluxe is nice from 2009 I think, but you pay extra for extra's you may not want. Up to how much you want to spend.

Date: March 2, 2012 02:39

treaclefingers
memphiscats
71Tele
memphiscats
duke richardson
memphiscats--

2002 Remasters are probably the best, with the SACD or DSD remastering, so if it's cheaper, go for that. The Deluxe is nice from 2009 I think, but you pay extra for extra's you may not want. Up to how much you want to spend.
Thank you - I actually started another thread on ordering YA-YAs...here's the weird thing - the "collectibles" says things like: My personal collection. Disc & inserts like new. Not a cutout, promo or club edition. Original ABKCO release, 11-digit UPC. I don't know what they're talking about. I need to educate myself!

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: March 2, 2012 02:41

I answered under your other thread.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 2, 2012 02:55

LeonidP

Eggactly - After YaYa's Midnight Rambler (and especially Brussels) it is hard to listen to the studio version.

To Me the Ya-Ya's version is hard to listen to after hearing the 72 versions and Brussels, and 75 for that matter too. However the album version still holds up. That is once cool track IMO.

Back To Monkey Man, def. one of their top songs.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 02:59 by ryanpow.

Date: March 2, 2012 05:50

memphiscats
treaclefingers
memphiscats
71Tele
memphiscats
duke richardson
memphiscats--

Thank you - I actually started another thread on ordering YA-YAs...here's the weird thing - the "collectibles" says things like: My personal collection. Disc & inserts like new. Not a cutout, promo or club edition. Original ABKCO release, 11-digit UPC. I don't know what they're talking about. I need to educate myself!

Well those sound like 'used' copies, which is fine, but don't pay much for them, especially CD's. Buy a new 2002 issue if you've found it for $10...if you're not tight for cash though, spend the extra and get the deluxe box.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 2, 2012 09:18

The JUMPIN' JACK FLASH theme revisited: "I'm a man who's been through hell, but I pulled on through/It's all right now, in fact it's a gas."

Love it. I ran out and bought LET IT BLEED after hearing it on the radio.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 2, 2012 10:07

Honestly, I never liked Monkey man, I found it just silly and never understood the meaning of the lyrics. The live version did not help, either.

And the studio version of Midnight rambler to me is dead boring, I hardly ever listened to it. But this song came to life on stage from the Hyde Park concert on (which, by the way, is a great blues version).

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 2, 2012 13:12

ryanpow
LeonidP

To Me the Ya-Ya's version is hard to listen to after hearing the 72 versions and Brussels, and 75 for that matter too. However the album version still holds up. That is once cool track IMO.

Spot on about Yayas after hearing 72 or 75. Spot on.

The only version of Monkey Man that I accept is the Let it Bleed version. There are no other versions of the song. It has never ever been good live. cool smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 2, 2012 13:15

saltoftheearth

And the studio version of Midnight rambler to me is dead boring,

angry smiley Blasphemy! Listen to the guitars, the drums, the percussion, that African drum, the bass, the harmonica, Mick. Perfect song. Sure, it's something else in 1972 and has it's guitar moments in 1975 but thats the last time they did it live imo. The studio version is special and unique.

Date: March 2, 2012 15:39

saltoftheearth
Honestly, I never liked Monkey man, I found it just silly and never understood the meaning of the lyrics. The live version did not help, either.

And the studio version of Midnight rambler to me is dead boring, I hardly ever listened to it. But this song came to life on stage from the Hyde Park concert on (which, by the way, is a great blues version).

Have you checked yourself for a pulse?

Date: March 2, 2012 17:43

saltoftheearth

The first day I was on IORR, I made a few comments about Midnight Rambler - little did I know what a hornet's nest I was poking my nose into. But I stand by what I said. Here's why I'm not a big MR fan: to me, the song becomes self-indulgent. I love the beginning and the harmonica and African sounds ARE GREAT. But when it keeps going on and the guitars stop & the belt cracks etc. it drags - maybe the first few times it was engaging. I think they like to play this one live because it can be played pretty dirty and still sound good. Maybe it's a musicsians song - it's probably fun to play - kind of like fusion on the jazz spectrum. My friends at Berkley used to play fusion all the time - it was hard for a non-jazz player to get into (and I love all kinds of jazz except fusion). Perhaps Midnight Rambler is the fusion of Rock n' Roll. I respect everyone's choices & tastes. So enjoy MR - just please don't make me sit through the 14 minute live version. Ha, as a kind IORR writer shared - good time for a bathroom break smiling smiley
But Monkey Man is brilliant and engaging guitar playing at its best.

Re: Midnight Rambler
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 2, 2012 18:15

memphiscats
just please don't make me sit through the 14 minute live version

... okay, i'm officially confused! you said you don't own/have never heard YaYas,
and you've only seen the band in concert a couple of times, right?
so what 14-minute concert version of Midnight Rambler are you finding boring?
(and no one should ever make anyone sit at a Stones show anyway! :E )

Date: March 2, 2012 18:38

with sssoul
memphiscats

... okay, i'm officially confused! you said you don't own/have never heard YaYas,
Yes - I've only seen the band 3 X.. and I didn't have the same appreciation for them that I do now (late bloomer). But I've seen all of the footage that's available - and I think I must've heard YA-YAs somewhere at some point - I don't think I could've lived almost 50 years and never heard the tracks - just don't own it nor have played it. So from my recollection - the shows I've seen & footage...it seems like the LIVE version can go on for along time. And no - I didn't "sit" through the shows - though the last one I might've - I was 7 months pregnant.
Cheers!

Date: March 2, 2012 18:44

with sssoul
memphiscats

This was bothering me - cause I know I feel like I've listened to it LIVE a lot. I just checked my Hot Rocks - and that version is LIVE - which is probably why I feel I've listened to it live so many times. Thanks - now I can go back to work cool smiley
p.s. And I know the version on Hot Rocks is just under 10 minutes - but it feels like 14...smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 18:46 by memphiscats.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 2, 2012 19:20

memphiscats
I just checked my Hot Rocks - and that version is LIVE

ahh so - the one on Hot Rocks is the YaYas rendition, so ... so there's another good theory shot to hell!
(the theory being that when you finally get yer YaYas it would open you up to the power & glory in the piece)

anyway back to our regularly scheduled Monkey Man thread ...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 2, 2012 23:28

Redhotcarpet
ryanpow
LeonidP

Spot on about Yayas after hearing 72 or 75. Spot on.

The only version of Monkey Man that I accept is the Let it Bleed version. There are no other versions of the song. It has never ever been good live. cool smiley

I share these thougths in regards to YA-YA'S "Rambler". After getting used to 1972/73/75 versions, the YA-YA'S version just sounds a bit flat and not dramatical enough. Like they hadn't really used the potentiality that song has for a hot live band. It sounds just a sketch for what to come some day.

But I absolutely love the original studio version. It has the blues feeling no any live version has. Jagger probably have never sound so threatening as he does there.

- Doxa

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 3, 2012 01:35

Deltics
Just in case some of you missed the video that memphiscats was referring to...

Best watched full screen with the volume up!

An extremely well made video! Took the liberty of posting this on my facebook status! Cool!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home