Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Bravo No.28 - 1969 - "Ich pfeife auf die Stones"
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 1, 2012 05:21

I found this post jones/stones split article from German magazine Bravo on facebook.

[www.facebook.com]

Probably Brian's last interview...

"To hell with the Rolling Stones!"

This is a report by Thomas Beyl. He is the only man to whom Brian Jones has entrusted the true reasons for his separation from the Stones.

"Brian Jones has left the Stones!" When I heard the news, I did not believe it. Even on the jet plane to London, I had only one thought: It must not be true! In recent years I had lived through many crises of the Rolling Stones, but the Stones had continued rolling on through all of it.
Certainly, Brian has been even more difficult than usual recently, and the differences between him and the group have grown greater and greater. But a split? The Rolling Stones without Brian Jones?
Shortly after my arrival in London, I see nothing but black - in broad daylight! When I hurry up the stairs to the Stones headquarters at 46 Maddox Street, Keith Richard rushes past me with long strides. Am I seeing ghosts? A Rolling Stone in the afternoon at half past two?
"Hello, Thomas," says the "ghost". "I'm in a hurry. I'll see you later!" I hurry afterward. Mick, Charlie and Bill are sitting in the office upstairs. Brian Jones is missing. The four Stones look at me and grin, embarrassed. No one says a word.
I brought along BRAVO No. 25 and open it to the double-page color feature with the Stones. "This article says that you are planning a tour through Germany in the fall," I say. "Will Brian be with you?" Mick shakes his head. "No," he says resolutely. "It's final. We've split from Brian." I look questioningly at Bill and Charlie. They nod. "In all friendship," says Bill.

Continued on next page.

Continued from page 26
In all friendship? Without a fight? But these are "my" Stones, I know them better than that! Before I can ask any more questions, the Stones' chauffeur appears and seconds later, the four have disappeared like a ghost.
"We'll see you later, Thomas," I hear Mick yell up the stairs. Later! I shudder when I hear that word!
I leaf through the newspapers lying around on the office table and come across the sentence "Brian Jones flew to Africa for a vacation in order to decide about his future in peace."
That can't be right, I think to myself, and give their road manager Tom Krylock a good interrogation. He admits that Brian is hiding at a friend's in London! The good Tom relents, gives me a number and after a few phone calls, I have Brian on the phone:
"I don't give interviews," he growled sleepily, "I've already told it all. It's in the newspapers."
"The newspapers also say that you're in Africa", I reply.
"Well," says Brian, a bit more comfortable now. "Come back in three weeks. Until then, I'm not talking to any reporters. "
"Not even to an old friend?" I ask. He's still on the line. I'm worried he will hang up soon.
"Give me Tom," says Brian.
Tom picks up the phone, listens for a few seconds, squeezes in a quick "OK" before hanging up.
"I shall take you to Brian this evening," he tells me, "but keep your mouth shut!" A few hours later on a trip through London at night, my thoughts begin to go back in time.

Brian announces: "Now I want the big money!"

Exactly seven years ago, Brian Jones was playing hot music with his trio on the stage of a shabby restaurant in Ealing. Right then, two guys jumped up on stage with him and "climbed aboard": Mick Jagger and Keith Richard. They got along right away. By the end of the year they were joined by Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts.
Despite hunger and frustration in the beginning, the five stuck together. Three years later, the Rolling Stones had made it. Mick, Brian, Keith, Bill and Charlie even rolled right over the Beatles at times.
I was together with the Stones often during the past four years. I liked Brian the most. He was probably the most difficult of the five, the most sensitive and the toughest at the same time. But always a good friend.
And then Brian is sitting across from me over in his hiding place. He's got a full beard. "You want me to tell the truth," he says ironically. "Well then, the old Stones' sound is not my taste. I think it's out of date. I want to write my own music and play. After a friendly discussion, we came to the conclusion that separation is the only solution. Satisfied?"
"Is there really no chance that you might get back together again?" I ask.
"None!" replied Brian. "Two years ago I wanted to leave, but Mick talked me out of it. Today there is no turning back." I look at Brian as he tops off his whiskey. He looks pale and haggard and under no circumstances happy. "You know that the Stones want to go on tour again soon. I think the fans will miss you," I say, trying to lure him out of his shell.
"You think so?" Brian's face brightens up. "Tell them I'll have my own group soon. The decision is within the next few weeks. Maybe I'll only produce music. I know one thing for sure: I want to be rich and finally rake in the big bucks. Just like Mick and Keith..."
Brian jumps up, reaches into a box of records and gives me an LP.
I read "YOU YOUKA" on the label.

These are the new Rolling Stones: Charlie Watts, Mick Taylor, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Bill Wyman (from left).
They hope the money will keep on rolling in.

"I produced that one in Algeria. My first LP. Would you like to listen to them?" asks Brian.
Of course I do. For the next 20 minutes I hear flute sounds with dogs barking.
"Pure African folk music," says Brian. "Recorded at night out on the street." He is entranced by the music. I am not.
"This is music," Brian says enthusiastically. "I'm going to compose music in this style."
Gloomy, almost depressed, I leave Brian. I fear that it will be a long time before Brian, the lost Stone, becomes a wealthy man.
The next evening I go down to the Olympic Studio, where the Stones are recording their new single "Honky Tonk Woman."
"Did you talk to Brian?” Mick greets me. "He must have told you that we're still friends. Keith, Bill, Charlie and I all say so too."
Whether a split in friendship or otherwise - for Stones fans, it doesn't matter. The Stones will keep on rolling. Now with Mick Taylor, 20, who previously played rhythm guitar with John Mayall, they've found a new Stone. They're back to five again. Whether the new Stone will replace the old one is another question.
"Aren't you scared," I ask Mick, "that Brian's departure could hurt the reputation of the Rolling Stones?"
Mick: "I think our 'bad reputation' has gotten better and better lately. And we're still nowhere near the end - even without Brian!"

Thomas Beyl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 16:32 by His Majesty.

Re: Bravo No.28 - 1969 - "To Hell with The Rolling Stones"
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 1, 2012 06:08

Great!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 1, 2012 06:18

Good stuff for us Facebook challenged!
Thanks...

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: March 1, 2012 06:51

Whoa.. He almost left two years earlier...and it is interesting that Mick talked him out of it, am glad Mick wanted him to stay. Just speculating, but probably Keith didn't??? As he despises Brian in his book. Anyway, glad he stayed... Who knows if he would of been healthier if he left earlier, or continue down the road to self destruction, one will never know.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 1, 2012 11:00

Thomas Beyl?? there are some photos of him with Keith and some dogs on the steps of Nellcote.
when the shots were posted on Rocks Off people figured he was a drug runner or something like that -
live & learn, eh?

thanks for unearthing this, HM! and for making it accessible to us nonfacebook tykes

Blue
Whoa.. He almost left two years earlier...and it is interesting that Mick talked him out of it, am glad Mick wanted him to stay.

well, two years earlier was spring/summer of 1967, so the Anita Situation probably had something to do with it.
Keith most likely wouldn't have been the right person to talk Brian into or out of anything at that point

love & light to Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 11:26 by with sssoul.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 1, 2012 11:45

Thank you very much for posting this article here. I can't get enough of those first
hand informative pieces of what went on at the time.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 1, 2012 14:19

I still remember when that article first came out. I was kinda shocked.

As I wrote in another thread some days ago I met Beyle a year or so later and asked him about his Stones connections. While he was not really your RocknRoll guy he knew alot of what was going on around the Stones. Bravo was a Teen mag, so he could only write small parts of what really happened.
In those years as a fan you didn't have the knowledge like today with net, etc. I remember having felt very down after he told me some inside stories.

Date: March 1, 2012 14:27

CousinC
I still remember when that article first came out. I was kinda shocked.

As I wrote in another thread some days ago I met Beyle a year or so later and asked him about his Stones connections. While he was not really your RocknRoll guy he knew alot of what was going on around the Stones. Bravo was a Teen mag, so he could only write small parts of what really happened.
In those years as a fan you didn't have the knowledge like today with net, etc. I remember having felt very down after he told me some inside stories.

Care to share some? grinning smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 1, 2012 15:08

Jones 6 years, Taylor 5 years, Wood 37 years. What's Ron's secret?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 1, 2012 15:15

Amsterdamned
Jones 6 years, Taylor 5 years, Wood 37 years. What's Ron's secret?

Alcohol, jogging and Oil of Ulay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 15:16 by GravityBoy.

Date: March 1, 2012 15:27

Amsterdamned
Jones 7 years, Taylor 5 years, Wood 37 years. What's Ron's secret?

Lil correction. thumbs up

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 1, 2012 15:30

His Majesty
Amsterdamned
Jones 7 years, Taylor 5 years, Wood 37 years. What's Ron's secret?

Lil correction. thumbs up

Very little winking smiley

Date: March 1, 2012 16:00

Amsterdamned

Very little winking smiley

Posted by: fingalcrom ()
Date: March 2, 2012 03:29

Hiya

It was me who posted the Bravo article on Facebook. It was in German, but I got it translated into English, Spanish and Portugese ( because the BJFF Community page on FB has a lot of SPanish and Portuegese members).

Glad FB has done something good for a change! LOL

Here is a polaroid I purchased that belonged to Linda Keith. I believe it was taken in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) in '68.

Lots of love
Lisa x

Posted by: fingalcrom ()
Date: March 2, 2012 03:31

Here is a crop of the previous photo. So you can actually see Brian. LOL!

Love
Lisa x

Date: March 2, 2012 03:43

fingalcrom
Hiya

It was me who posted the Bravo article on Facebook. It was in German, but I got it translated into English, Spanish and Portugese ( because the BJFF Community page on FB has a lot of SPanish and Portuegese members).

Glad FB has done something good for a change! LOL

Here is a polaroid I purchased that belonged to Linda Keith. I believe it was taken in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) in '68.

Lots of love
Lisa x

Thanks for posting and translating it. thumbs up

The pic you bought is from their visit to Sri Lanka during late December 1967 - mid January 1968.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: March 2, 2012 03:51

Great scoop! 43 years later, LoL ...

Brian was a champ handling the press ... he towed the official line.

Date: March 2, 2012 04:10

TheDailyBuzzherd

Yeah, tis just slighlty less tactful version of the press release statement eh!?

Interesting to read Brian saying he wanted to leave two years earlier though. Read people speculate about it here, but never read it from the man himself.

Weird to think the original Rolling Stones might have ended in 1967... I'm glad he stuck with it because we got more ace music, but I also wonder whether he made the right choice... His last 2 years as a Rolling Stone seem so painful.

Date: March 2, 2012 04:38

Yeah, I've read he was unhappy as far back as '65,
but the residuals couldn't be beat! He would've kept
going if they didn't toss him. He didn't have it in him,
bless his heart.

Date: March 2, 2012 05:02

Which music do you think Brian considered outdated by the Stones?

Date: March 2, 2012 05:41

Palace, I think those comments were talking points only supporting
the "official" version of events.

It seems Brian preferred the earliest things the band put down;
"Little Red Rooster", "King Bee" and "Money" ... the tough bluesy
stuff. Didn't care for Berry as Keith and Mick, but went along.
He probably thought the ballads were pure bilge. Of course, the
guy was a walking puzzle and frequently contradicted himself.
That's why many of us are still puzzled over his general lack
of enthusiasm for the newer stuff in '68. That's what drugs do ...

... but the real problem was his love life and The Glimmer's hold
on the music. Those two issues informed the later events.

Date: March 2, 2012 06:07

The recent unearthed radio interviews from January 1968 show he was enthused by a return to more earthy music. It seems that the problem, or atleast one of many problems, as you point out, was more to do with who was writing the songs.

1967 and 1968 brought such a mess of traumatic events, he seems such a lost soul by then, albeit with some musical triumphs, by late 1968 and in to 1969 however he seems to just be drifting with no sense of point or purpose. sad smiley

IMO the things that finally broke him were the May 1968 drug bust and drawn out wait for the trial in September... The denied appeal in early 1969 putting bitter icing on an already bitter cake.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 2, 2012 08:27

with sssoul
Thomas Beyl?? there are some photos of him with Keith and some dogs on the steps of Nellcote.
when the shots were posted on Rocks Off people figured he was a drug runner or something like that -
live & learn, eh?

thanks for unearthing this, HM! and for making it accessible to us nonfacebook tykes

Blue
Whoa.. He almost left two years earlier...and it is interesting that Mick talked him out of it, am glad Mick wanted him to stay.

well, two years earlier was spring/summer of 1967, so the Anita Situation probably had something to do with it.
Keith most likely wouldn't have been the right person to talk Brian into or out of anything at that point

love & light to Brian

The Brian-Keith-Anita thing does kinda make sense, him wanting to leave around that time. Interesting, too, that he talks about "the big bucks" like Mick and Keith; ie: songwriting. I think he could have been really good at movie soundtracks, given more chances. A Degree Of Murder was just a glimmer (pun intended) of what he could have done. Brian added more "color" to music and songs than any musician I've ever heard.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 2, 2012 08:58

fingalcrom
It was me who posted the Bravo article on Facebook. It was in German, but I got it translated

thank you fingalcrom - it reads really well in English, so thanks & praises to the translator.

His Majesty
Yeah, tis just slighlty less tactful version of the press release statement eh!?

except for the title! which i reckon Brian must have said, even if they didn't put it in the article
what's that in German, baby? [ahem sorry - obscure Stones quote there!
but i am curious what the original title of the article was]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 2, 2012 11:41

His Majesty
TheDailyBuzzherd

Interesting to read Brian saying he wanted to leave two years earlier though. Read people speculate about it here, but never read it from the man himself.

Weird to think the original Rolling Stones might have ended in 1967... I'm glad he stuck with it because we got more ace music, but I also wonder whether he made the right choice... His last 2 years as a Rolling Stone seem so painful.

Yeah, it was nice to the man himself confirming that. It was told in the official stories when he left the band - or was it after his death? - but one should view those "truths" with cynicism. Then it was said that the band didn't let him leave in 1967 because he was too big part of their image. Now Brian fills the story by pointing out Mick's specific role. Which, of course, is not any big surprise. Mick most probably was the brains of the band, and knew Brian's significance in many respects. It would take two more years for Mick - and Keith - to 'grow up' big and self-confident enough of leading the band just by them. And it was still a risky business - you can also feel that in the atmsophere of BRAVO article. Even in the official press releases when Brian's departure was announced, there was said that it was not final; they leave the option that he might return some day. In that BRAVO article probably for the first time ever the fatal nature of the split was pointed out. Perhaps before that they all stood in the official story (that supposedly was made to keep the fan reactions cool). But now Brian gives this personal confession - and not trying keep up appearances - to his journalist friend. I am sure that made Jagger no happy...

- Doxa

Date: March 2, 2012 11:49

TheDailyBuzzherd
Palace, I think those comments were talking points only supporting
the "official" version of events.

It seems Brian preferred the earliest things the band put down;
"Little Red Rooster", "King Bee" and "Money" ... the tough bluesy
stuff. Didn't care for Berry as Keith and Mick, but went along.
He probably thought the ballads were pure bilge. Of course, the
guy was a walking puzzle and frequently contradicted himself.
That's why many of us are still puzzled over his general lack
of enthusiasm for the newer stuff in '68. That's what drugs do ...

... but the real problem was his love life and The Glimmer's hold
on the music. Those two issues informed the later events.

Yes, I have read his 'official' statements many times in books etc. And we know that he seemed to like Creedence ( he always did have impeccable taste), and his fave song of the time was "In the Midnight Hour". So that gives some idea.
But when I see these quotes re. the Stones I ask myself did he mean the fact that they strayed from pure Blues? Or that they did the British pop songs of 60's on Aftermath? Or that they went psychedlic? Or that they were no longer psychedelic and had returned to core music?
And is it even a Brian quote? Or has it been told so often that somehow it has become fact?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 2, 2012 12:02

His Majesty
The recent unearthed radio interviews from January 1968 show he was enthused by a return to more earthy music. It seems that the problem, or atleast one of many problems, as you point out, was more to do with who was writing the songs.

I think you are right here. This is especially the reason that seemed to kill Bill Wyman's enthusiasim in contributing more to Stones music. His stories of making BEGGARS BANQUET in STONE ALONE are rather bitter, and he seemingly lost hsi interst in Stones music then. So, if anything, BEGGARS BANQUET cemented the Jagger/Richards dominance in the band. And I don't blame the for that: they really had just discovered their original pen, and were in their absolute peak as songwriters. The artistic success of BEGGARS BANQUET also confirmed that the band can 100% rely to Mick and Keith's intuitions and instincts. It was their show from then on. But I think the decrease of Brian's direct influence also affected to Bill's role. Wyman alone could not face or challenge Jagger/Richards 'dictatorship'.

- Doxa

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 2, 2012 12:41

Is this real? 'YOU YOUKA' came out in '71, didn't it? How can Brian talk about an album that wasn't released yet? And Brian stating he recorded it in Algeria is weird, and that he wants to be rich -by all accounts he was a multi millionair already.

I don't know what, but there's something a bit phony about this article.

Mathijs

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 2, 2012 12:48

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 2, 2012 13:20

His Majesty
TheDailyBuzzherd

Like many thinks Brian said after Anita, he said this to look independent and strong. I think the truth is that Brian didnt want to leave, he felt he was important up until Anita left him for Keith. After that he wanted to die, not leave the band.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home