Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: RIP Davy Jones
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:12

Juat saw the Monkees a few months ago in Niagara Falls. Great show. So sad.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:17

Koen
...another goodbye to another good friend...

Indeed.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:25

... Davy Jones was a music professional before the Monkees as well.
i saw him in the stage version of Oliver in 1963 or so - he played the Artful Dodger -
and the fact that i'd been under the same roof with him made me suddenly cool among my classmates when the Monkees came into existence.

love and light to him and the people close to him

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:27

FWIW: Monkees co-creator and producer Bert Schneider died a few months ago.
Schneider and Bob Rafelson were the masterminds of the Monkees TV show.
They formed the influential company Raybert, later called BBS.
Schneider financed the film Easy Rider out of his own pocket with Monkees money.
They later went on to produce Five Easy Pieces, King Of Marvin Gardens, and The Last Picture Show among others (as well as the Monkees movie Head).
No Monkees, no Easy Rider.

RIP Mr. Jones and Mr. Schneider.

Date: February 29, 2012 21:29

Nooooo! Loved the Monkees back in the day and have several 7" singles of theirs. Also adored the tv shows featuring the superb theme tune. Glad to have seen them at the Royal Albert Hall last year. Very sad to hear Davy is on his last train...RIP

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:29

This makes me so sad!

Just TODAY, I was driving on Pleasant Valley Way, which is an actual street in West Orange, NJ... Carole King lived around there at some point, I believe.

Rest In Peace, Davy.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:30

Does this mean that David Bowie can go back to using his given name?

Ross

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:36

FORMERSOMETHING
Like Entwistle
damn it
rest in peace

Well, not quite...he didn't have any hookers and a bunch of coke in a Vegas hotel room like Entwisthle did at the time of his death.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:36

I was just the right age the fall of '66 when they came along. Loved the Monkees. Listening to them now I realize they were like baby steps to listening to more sophisticated rock. And those records are written and performed by crack studio musicians. (Especially Neil Diamond). They were like returning to an earlier stage of the Beatles, who by that time had just released Revolver. This is sad.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:37

The show won two Emmy awards in 1967 and propelled its four stars to pop stardom. John Lennon called them "the Marx brothers of rock", but in 1967, The Monkees outsold both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones combined, and went on to sell 50m records.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:47

with sssoul
... Davy Jones was a music professional before the Monkees as well.
i saw him in the stage version of Oliver in 1963 or so - he played the Artful Dodger -

On the DVD of The Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show you can see Davy with other cast members do a scene from Oliver.

Just yesterday morning I was thinking about the Monkees and wondering if they would ever get their due while all of them were still alive...

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:55

tomk
FWIW: Monkees co-creator and producer Bert Schneider died a few months ago.
Schneider and Bob Rafelson were the masterminds of the Monkees TV show.
They formed the influential company Raybert, later called BBS.
Schneider financed the film Easy Rider out of his own pocket with Monkees money.
They later went on to produce Five Easy Pieces, King Of Marvin Gardens, and The Last Picture Show among others (as well as the Monkees movie Head).
No Monkees, no Easy Rider.

RIP Mr. Jones and Mr. Schneider.
Think I heard too, "Daydream Believer's" author played in the Kingston Trio and passed away in the last several years. Not sure how exactly that relates.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:58

Hairball
FORMERSOMETHING
Like Entwistle
damn it
rest in peace

Well, not quite...he didn't have any hookers and a bunch of coke in a Vegas hotel room like Entwisthle did at the time of his death.
yeah, that's a weird thing to say. Lots of people have died from a heart attack, not sure why this person had to single out Entwistle.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 29, 2012 21:59

Sad indeed, as a very young teenager back then I loved "his" music

RIP

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 29, 2012 22:00

Over Christmas, I'm rather sure I saw "Monkees" shows DVDs at Best Buy, I mean, not knocking the Monkees, it's hard to go to Best Buy or a lot of stores and find CDs you are looking for but there are seasons 1, 2, however many of the Monkees shows there and they were not that expensive to boot.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 29, 2012 22:15

I just saw him a few weeks ago on one of those PBS specials (Davey Jones, Peter Noone and some other stars from the sixties). He looked to be in good shape so his passing comes as a shock.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 29, 2012 22:25

The Monkees were hugely influential on my musical development in that it suddenly became cool for pre-teens to get into music.

For those with a somewhat left field sense of humour, we were just discussing Davy's passing in the pub (yes, that generation) and the sick(ish) joke was:
"I'm a Cadaver"

Sorry about that. Sincerely, no offence meant. Just humour.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 29, 2012 22:30

"I'm a Believer" wasn't a song he sang lead on, but it's pub standards so I suppose it was enough to have the right pop group.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: February 29, 2012 22:31

CindyC
71Tele
It's like pieces of my childhood disappearing every time someone like this passes away.

Absolutely - well said.

That says it all. God bless Davy. Wonderful entertainer. Brought joy to millions. RIP.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 29, 2012 22:32

Love his lead vocal on Daydream Believer...and that wonderful dance from the video(TV show clip) that Axl Rose ended up copping.

Rest in Peace Davy.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 29, 2012 23:02

treaclefingers
Love his lead vocal on Daydream Believer...and that wonderful dance from the video(TV show clip) that Axl Rose ended up copping.

Rest in Peace Davy.

Daydrean Believer was a great track. probably Davy's best effort.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 29, 2012 23:06

A Little Bit Me A little Bit You was one of the best.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 29, 2012 23:34

Damn. My first crush too. Condolences to his loved ones.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 29, 2012 23:35

treaclefingers

Rest in Peace Davy.

Speaking of his dance, he still moved around pretty good. He does a nice little 60's groove at about 2:05. Clip is from last year. great performance by all..

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 29, 2012 23:37

Saw The Monkees live last year in Sheffield.

They were great.

Davy looked quite well, Micky was the one who didn't look so well.

RIP Davy, you gave us some nice moments.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 29, 2012 23:46

Justin
treaclefingers

Rest in Peace Davy.

Speaking of his dance, he still moved around pretty good. He does a nice little 60's groove at about 2:05. Clip is from last year. great performance by all..

The man could still move for sure. This was the number that stood out for me when I saw the Monkees last year...originally from "Head" and written by Nilsson.

Posted by: django ()
Date: February 29, 2012 23:48

Very sad. The Monkeys introduced me to pop music when the TV series was shown in Germany in the late sixties.
I loved every minute of it and I wanted to be like Davy Jones. Very good memories and a very, very sad moment
now.
RIP Davy

Date: March 1, 2012 00:20

UGh I cant believe it sad smiley RIP Davy

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 1, 2012 00:22

Jah Paul
Justin
treaclefingers

Rest in Peace Davy.

The man could still move for sure. This was the number that stood out for me when I saw the Monkees last year...originally from "Head" and written by Nilsson.

Excellent moves indeed! Thanks for posting. He will be missed.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 1, 2012 00:36

A year or so ago hbwriter had a post about being at a "60's" theme party where Davy was one of the guests, and he sang for everyone...

Chris?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home