Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stone Raiders w/ Daryl Jones (concert review)
Posted by: arc-angel ()
Date: January 28, 2012 12:37

Yesterday I attended the (Black) Stone Raiders concert close to my home town (Gotha / Germany) I I think it is worth to open a thread on this ...

I was a little skeptical but also curious after I read some newspaper articles. But to say this first, absolutely not reproducible what some "scribbler" write (eg. about a concert two days before in Kassel) - may be that guy was at an other concert ...

"The Londoner", the location for that show, is a small pub with a tiny concert room above, maximum 250 people fit in. It was pretty good filled, mostly with middle-aged people like me :-)

It was a great atmosphere, these three guys have the power and are very very skilled in what they did. They played funky music, Jean-Paul Bourelli sounded a few times really like Hendrix (with voice and guitar!) and it was recognizable, that he likes Hendrix, I would say he continues what Hendrix started. The audience could feel the fun all three had, great bass-lines from Daryl, an amazing drum solo from Will Calhoun and an phantastic solo guitar work from Jean-Paul Bourelly.

The solo parts were great - especially the drum solo from Will Calhoun. Btw. his name should be familiar to us, he belongs to "Living Colour", and the debut album was produced by Mick Jagger, he also played a couple of times together with Mick and Ronnie.
They played 90 minutes and came back for the encore - so nearly 1 hour and 50 minutes in total.

Afterwards they all came back to sell t-shirts and CD's and sign stuff. They were very relaxed and I had some nice chats with them. I was kidding with Daryl, that a T-Shirt in my size is obviously not available (I need XXL minimum, yes I'm a little sturdy) and we both had a laugh .... minutes later, I wanted to leave the room, he sprinted after me and said with a big grin on his face "Here's your T-Shirt, Sir; look XXL :-)" I was more than surprised and answered "Great Daryl, but then you have to sign that too ..." which he did and the other guys too. Great evening, easy people, big fun ...

Andreas

Re: Stone Raiders w/ Daryl Jones (concert review)
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 28, 2012 15:56

Great story. Sounds like a cool band. Maybe some hard-funk. I'd check them out if they ever come this way.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: January 28, 2012 16:02

And did anyone ask Daryl if some very large corporation with supposedly feuding leaders would be using his time in the next year?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2012 17:18

Great story Andreas.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: January 28, 2012 17:58

bam
And did anyone ask Daryl if some very large corporation with supposedly feuding leaders would be using his time in the next year?

interwiew with Daryl in German

Rolling-Stones-Bassist Darryl Jones: "Die Stones sind vor allem Blues"

Sie sind seit fast 20 Jahren fester Begleitmusiker bei den Stones. Gerüchten zufolge will die Band in diesem Jahr auf eine kleine Tournee gehen, um ihr 50-jähriges zu feiern. Sind Sie dabei?
Die Gerüchte kenne ich, aber ich weiß nicht mehr darüber als jeder andere - und solange ich keinen Anruf bekomme, messe ich dem Ganzen keine Bedeutung bei. Darüber zu spekulieren bringt nichts.

[www.thueringer-allgemeine.de]

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 28, 2012 18:03

If Darryll Jones says that he has not heard about a new Stones tour already ( as he did in the posted article) it will only make some people speculate that the "new tour" will be with Wyman (and of course Maclagan replacing the evil Leavell).

Posted by: bam ()
Date: January 28, 2012 19:12

Not a good sign.

translation
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 28, 2012 23:04

You have been a sideman for the Rolling Stones for nearly 20 years. According to rumours, the band wants to go on a short tour this year to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Are you in?

I know the rumours , but I do not know anymore about it than anyone else - and as long as I don't get a call, I attach no significance to the whole thing.
Speculating does not help.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 28, 2012 23:05

Nice story Andreas, thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: translation
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 29, 2012 00:46

open-g
You have been a sideman for the Rolling Stones for nearly 20 years. According to rumours, the band wants to go on a short tour this year to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Are you in?

I know the rumours , but I do not know anymore about it than anyone else - and as long as I don't get a call, I attach no significance to the whole thing.
Speculating does not help.
He just says what the whole Stones camp says - there are rumours, but nothing has been planned. Without real planns, there is no need to call Darryl, Chuck, Lisa or anybody else. Chuck says the same thing....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-29 00:46 by mtaylor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home