Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Why was Jimmy Page quite a rage ?
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: January 3, 2012 20:30

Hi,

1976 the Stones were playing in Knebworth, Led Zeppelin too, maybe it is from that concert that Jimmy Page was quite a rage?

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: January 3, 2012 20:40

Here is my take on this

Arguing that Led Zeppelin were more successful and that somehow that has to do with music is mindless, Grease and the Bee Gees sold a shit load more records than Led Zeppelin smiling smiley no one is going to argue that those records are better than either band. Howlin Wolf probably sold 1% of what these bands sold, he is a better and more important artist, ask Mick or Jimmy Page they will absolutely agree with this. SALES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW GOOD MUSIC IS, is that clear now?

In my opinion Noddy Holder kills Robert Plant every time, its a shame Jimmy Page didnt join Slade then these discussions wouldnt exist they would have been the greatest rock band of all time.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 3, 2012 20:42

Treaclefingers, I've seen Plant solo too, a few times but not since the 80's. He was wonderful, stunning! I'd love to see him now solo or with Allison Krauss from Union Station. I think his voice is a bit weaker these days and he's had to adjust a bit...no more screams or high notes. He's lower his voice a few octaves. Just a fact of aging. And I agree with whoever it was that mentioned the first Zep album with " Good Times, Bad Times" and " I've Been Lovin You Too Long"...pure blues, so if you love the Stones and blues, why did you tune out for Zep?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 3, 2012 20:45

I did it again!! I didn't mean " I've Been Lovin You Too Long"!! I meant " Babe I'm Gonna Leave You!" GEE!! I don't know where that came from but I love that song too. I think I'm going for more coffee!

Posted by: shawnriffhard ()
Date: January 3, 2012 20:59

thomashanck
Hi,

1976 the Stones were playing in Knebworth, Led Zeppelin too, maybe it is from that concert that Jimmy Page was quite a rage?

Actually, Led Zep didn't play Knebworth until 1979 with the New Barbarians in support. I've seen others before you get confused about this, but that's the real deal.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2012 21:36

mickschix
Treaclefingers, I've seen Plant solo too, a few times but not since the 80's. He was wonderful, stunning! I'd love to see him now solo or with Allison Krauss from Union Station. I think his voice is a bit weaker these days and he's had to adjust a bit...no more screams or high notes. He's lower his voice a few octaves. Just a fact of aging. And I agree with whoever it was that mentioned the first Zep album with " Good Times, Bad Times" and " I've Been Lovin You Too Long"...pure blues, so if you love the Stones and blues, why did you tune out for Zep?

Saw him in the 80s but way better this time around...he's become like a country/blues/folk singer, with a little bit of RnRoll...fantastic more 'roots based' approach.

Something I know a lot of Stones fans would love to see the Stones do.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2012 21:40

donvis
The original lyric "I'm making bets that you gonna get John Wayne before he dies" was probably considered in bad taste because Wayne died in 1974 if I recall correctly. That was why they changed it in the first place.

Your recollection is a little weak if you don't mind my sayin....don't worry, we all get that way eventually!

Here are the stats:

May 26, 1907 – June 11, 1979

I was thinking you may be thinking of Steve McQueen, but when I checked, he died in 1980.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: January 3, 2012 22:00

Mathijs
tkl7
If Led Zeppelin sold more tickets in the 1970s, it's no big suprise. They toured more. 11 Tours of NA between 1968 and 1977.

That seemed to be the proper conclusions, judging [en.wikipedia.org]

There isn't much difference between a Stoens tour and a Led Zep tour. The arena's are the same, the amount of shows seem the same for each tour. But, Led Zep simply toured much more. The Stones did 2 large and one smaller tour of NA, while Zep did 11.

So, Zep beat the Stones in both ticket sales and album sales in the 1970's.

Mathijs

Goofy way to look at things about ticket sales. Who gives a crap who toured more. Thats like saying the Dead were bigger then the Stones in the 80s just because they toured more. Who cares, we all know the Stones were the bigger attraction. I think someone mentioned it here before..There was a group like Yes who actually sold the most concert tickets in the 70s because they were always on the road. Who cares.

Date: January 3, 2012 22:08

Naturalust
I am one who is damn surprised rock fans on this board have anything BAD to say about Led Zepplin. They were GREAT. Those four guys all had massive talent and together there was a special thing happening that blew millions of minds, mine included. How could a Stones fan not like that first record of theirs? Good Times Bad Times and the rest of those songs let everyone know that the ante for the Rock Kingdom just went up, way up. Every song was good, unlike the Stones who always had a few duds on the record, imho.

Yeah they did some good cover songs on their first 2 albums.

Date: January 3, 2012 22:28

R
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
OK, to be correct, Zep sold more COPIES than albums. The Stones have Zep beat in the amount of albums sold. Whatever it is, 26 albums.

"Copies" vs. "albums" equals a distiction without a difference. One must bear in mind that Zep released only eight full studio LPs in their active career of a single decade and most of their work still rings up big numbers in catalog sales. The Stones MAY have sold more but did so over the course of nearly fifty years and only Some Girls, Sticky Fingers, Exile and LIB come remotely close to Zep IV (as an example) in catalog sales.

I was, to use something that is inanely stupid, 'just sayin''...that there is a distinct difference between the two.

Which there is.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 3, 2012 22:30

Nother reason Page was the rage, was he is hung. Plaster caster made a mighty cast of Page's member and he was renowned among groupies of being hung like a horse.

Date: January 3, 2012 22:32

brianwalker
R
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Doxa
The Zep won in record and ticket sales, the Stones with hype and media coverage - which pissed Page off. Plant and Page even complained about this in one ROLLING STONE (?) interview. The Zep was not media sexy but that wasn't Jagger's fault, was it?

If I recall right the Zep even reschudeled some of their shows - or even tour - to give Stones tour more room to shine - or does my memory makes me tricks (again)?

- Doxa

Seriously? And I thought Mick had a big ego. Damn. That's a bit of a snot toss coming from someone that was not only in the biggest band on the planet but refused to release singles - or so 'they' say.

Rolling Stone magazine made a conscious effort to bash Zep from the get-go. It helped to sell magazines because Zep fans would buy that useless rag just to get mad at it. Much like the MSNBC network here in the States has an audience consisting of about 1/4 to 1/3 conservatives.

Yes..Rolling Stone magazine gave Zeppelin bad reviews in the 70s. I hope you are not stating as a fact that they did that to sell magazines. Probably they did it because they felt Zeppelin was over the top nonesense that only impressed teenages that liked over the top nonesense.

Again i find it annoying when the Zep crowd can't believe that some people just don't like their music.

Just like how the same magazine gave A Bigger Bang, Goddess In The Doorway and Primitive Cool rave reviews?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: January 3, 2012 22:32

whitem8
Nother reason Page was the rage, was he is hung. Plaster caster made a mighty cast of Page's member and he was renowned among groupies of being hung like a horse.
so why did he need the violin bow then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 22:33 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: January 3, 2012 22:37

brianwalker
Mathijs
tkl7
If Led Zeppelin sold more tickets in the 1970s, it's no big suprise. They toured more. 11 Tours of NA between 1968 and 1977.

There isn't much difference between a Stoens tour and a Led Zep tour. The arena's are the same, the amount of shows seem the same for each tour. But, Led Zep simply toured much more. The Stones did 2 large and one smaller tour of NA, while Zep did 11.

Mathijs

Goofy way to look at things about ticket sales. Who gives a crap who toured more. Thats like saying the Dead were bigger then the Stones in the 80s just because they toured more. Who cares, we all know the Stones were the bigger attraction. I think someone mentioned it here before..There was a group like Yes who actually sold the most concert tickets in the 70s because they were always on the road. Who cares.

It isn't goofy. The claim was made that Led Zeppelin sold more tickets than the Rolling Stones in the 1970s. As I pointed out, of course they did, because they toured much more extensively. It has nothing to do with who was the "bigger attraction." Furthermore, the whole thread has veered off topic, since the lyric in question only referred to Jimmy Page, and not Led Zeppelin. I don't think it had anything to do with who was bigger at the time. The two bands were on good terms if anything. I thought it was pretty clear that the lyric was a reference to Page's popularity with the chicks.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: January 3, 2012 22:37

One can like both the Stones & Zeppelin, you know.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 3, 2012 22:45

whitem8

Another reason for Mick to be jealous ?

Date: January 3, 2012 22:58

MILKYWAY

Just not the Beatles. smiling smiley

Date: January 3, 2012 23:03

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
brianwalker
R
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Doxa
The Zep won in record and ticket sales, the Stones with hype and media coverage - which pissed Page off. Plant and Page even complained about this in one ROLLING STONE (?) interview. The Zep was not media sexy but that wasn't Jagger's fault, was it?

If I recall right the Zep even reschudeled some of their shows - or even tour - to give Stones tour more room to shine - or does my memory makes me tricks (again)?

- Doxa

Seriously? And I thought Mick had a big ego. Damn. That's a bit of a snot toss coming from someone that was not only in the biggest band on the planet but refused to release singles - or so 'they' say.

Rolling Stone magazine made a conscious effort to bash Zep from the get-go. It helped to sell magazines because Zep fans would buy that useless rag just to get mad at it. Much like the MSNBC network here in the States has an audience consisting of about 1/4 to 1/3 conservatives.

Yes..Rolling Stone magazine gave Zeppelin bad reviews in the 70s. I hope you are not stating as a fact that they did that to sell magazines. Probably they did it because they felt Zeppelin was over the top nonesense that only impressed teenages that liked over the top nonesense.

Again i find it annoying when the Zep crowd can't believe that some people just don't like their music.

Just like how the same magazine gave A Bigger Bang, Goddess In The Doorway and Primitive Cool rave reviews?

Whats your point. They still didn't like Led Zepplin.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 3, 2012 23:14

Mathijs
steel driving hammer
bigfrankie
Thank you. I'm not jealous at all. That makes no sense. That sounds like I'm comparing his singing to mine!

I recognize they were a very popular band and sucessful too. That is different then perosnally liking Plant's voice. He always made my temples hurt. They can be good or even great, but I still never liked them adn I don't to this day.

Here is why:

1) Plant's singing makes my temples hurt
2) They have no rhythm. I'll take Charlie any day

You forgot their plagiarism...

And you forgot the drum solo's. I hate drum solo's, especially when they're longer than 10 seconds.

Mathijs

Agreed & agreed. If i had to listen to Plant sing followed by a drum solo, my head would explode.......those drum solos sound like someone pushed a wagon full of instrument down a hill.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 23:15 by bigfrankie.

Date: January 3, 2012 23:39

brianwalker
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
brianwalker
R
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Doxa

- Doxa

Whats your point. They still didn't like Led Zepplin.

Over the top nonsense, which is exactly what it's amounted to.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 3, 2012 23:43

MILKYWAY

Very sensible conclusion...but in what order?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 4, 2012 00:18

MILKYWAY

Like me ...and the Beatles sold more records then the Stones and Zeppelin together

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 4, 2012 00:46

Happy 66th Birhday John Paul Jonessmileys with beer

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 4, 2012 01:09

Over-rated, and bit boring..that's what I think of Zep...Led Zeppelin is the best cover band in the world, I can give you that. They do know how to steal song ideas and steal all the credits. Yeah, Zeppelin is the best cover band in history.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 4, 2012 01:42

seitan
Over-rated, and bit boring..that's what I think of Zep...Led Zeppelin is the best cover band in the world, I can give you that. They do know how to steal song ideas and steal all the credits. Yeah, Zeppelin is the best cover band in history.

*yawn*

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: January 4, 2012 04:36

Led Zeppelin played Knebworth on August 4 & 11 1979, not 1976.

Date: January 4, 2012 10:08

Mathijs
tkl7

Mathijs

Zep played for instance 8 more gigs in 75 than the Stones, almost the very same venues. Does that make them the winners? Seems like a draw between the two biggest bands to me.

However, when it comes to album sales, Zep sold way more than the Stones.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 4, 2012 13:31

brianwalker
Mathijs
tkl7

Mathijs

Well, if the Dead sold more tickets than the Stones in the 80's then they where bigger. But of course they didn't, because even though they toured more they played smaller venues, and the Stones didn't tour from '83 until '89.

I think it is a fair comparison: the Stones and Led Zep played the same kind of venues, and the tours where about the same in lenght/amount of shows. Only, Zep did many more tours.

I don't know if the Stones where a bigger attraction than Zep -the figures do not show that. In my mind, Stones tours where an atrtraction partially due to their scarcity, and this clearly is not the case for Zep. I wonder what would have happened if Mick Taylor stayed with the Stones, and they toured each year from 1972 to 1980. I am afraid there wouldn't be any market anymore for the Stones. If Jagger is great in one thing it is marketing.

Mathijs

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 4, 2012 15:32

bigfrankie
Put me down as someone who never liked Led Zep. I never went to a single Led Zep concert, although just about everone I knew did. They had no rhythm and Plant's singng made my temples hurt. Jimmy Page is a great talent, but that doesnt maek Zep any good.

eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 4, 2012 15:34

GumbootCloggeroo
John Bonham was a monster of a drummer. Really great. And to the non-Zeppelin fans, don't give me that "But he doesn't swing like Charlie" bullshit. So what.

As a matter of fact, as a musician, I'd say Bonham swings more than Charlie. Although Charlie is more connected to the word "swing" because of that quote and because of his association with jazz and rock 'n' roll. Bonham is way more funky and groovy.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2162
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home