Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10
Sympathy For The Devil Guitar Solo
Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 9, 2011 11:25

Was it actually Keith who played the guitar solo on the studio version of Sympathy? I've heard rumours it wasn't. To me, the bulk of the licks sound like Keith, but that lightening fast opening lick is pretty flashy compared to most of keith's licks. Sometimes I get suspicious because I've never heard - either in person or on bootlegs - Keith ever attempt to start that solo onstage with anything resembling that studio lick, even when he was at his best. Ever since Ya Yas, he's always chosen an utterly different path to starting his Sympathy solos. I've seen clips of the film that shows them recording Sympathy, but I've never seen footage of the solo being recorded. Is there film of Keith recording that phenomenal solo?

Re: Sympathy For The Devil Guitar Solo
Date: December 9, 2011 11:29

I believe it is Keith, but I too have had my doubts; mainly because Keith loves talking about his accomplishments, but I have never read him bragging on that solo.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 9, 2011 11:36

Of course it's Keith. It's not that technical or hard to play, the sound is the key. It sounds great. He plays some of those licks on the 1975 tour but it doesnt sound the same. I prefer the 1975 version btw.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 9, 2011 11:36

It's Keith 100%. Haven't you seen that movie?

2 1 2 0

Date: December 9, 2011 11:37

He doesn't play the solo in the film.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 9, 2011 11:40

I never heard him play another solo like that which is why I always believed the rumour that it was Dave Mason from Traffic. This is a real Jimmy Page like guitar hero solo, something like the solo at the end of Stairway To Heaven. Keith wasn't/isn't that kind of player.

Date: December 9, 2011 11:46

Silver Dagger
I never heard him play another solo like that which is why I always believed the rumour that it was Dave Mason from Traffic. This is a real Jimmy Page like guitar hero solo, something like the solo at the end of Stairway To Heaven. Keith wasn't/isn't that kind of player.

One thing that made me suspicious is that I was aware that Dave Mason participated in the Banquet sessions. Later on, I heard a Dave Mason song (forget what it was), and when he launched into the solo, the sound and many of the licks sounded so similar to the Sympathy solo, I thought, "Oh my God! was it really him?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 9, 2011 11:47

Palace Revolution 2000
He doesn't play the solo in the film.

He does in my film...grinning smiley

Date: December 9, 2011 11:49

Classic Keith, unusual sound.

Date: December 9, 2011 11:50

Redhotcarpet
Of course it's Keith. It's not that technical or hard to play, the sound is the key. It sounds great. He plays some of those licks on the 1975 tour but it doesnt sound the same. I prefer the 1975 version btw.

On Love You Live, the first guitar solo starts with a sort of simplified version of the studio solo, but it's Ron Wood playing it. The second solo is Keith and starts with much simpler riffs. One thing I love about live Stones albums is that it's very clear to hear who's playing what, especially with headphones. Keith is always in the right channel; Ron Wood (or MT on Ya Yas) is in the left channel.

Date: December 9, 2011 11:52

Palace Revolution 2000
I believe it is Keith, but I too have had my doubts; mainly because Keith loves talking about his accomplishments, but I have never read him bragging on that solo.

I did read an interview where Keith says he played it, but who knows?

Date: December 9, 2011 11:57

Redhotcarpet

I play guitar myself; self-taught, and have been told I'm pretty good. There's nary a keith lick that I haven't been able to figure out, but maybe it's a mental block - I can never unlock how to play that opening lick from the Sympathy solo. Maybe because the sound is so awesome, it intimidates me. I'm guessing it's easier to play than it sounds. I get the impression you know how to play it?

Date: December 9, 2011 11:57

Silver Dagger

But the thing is that the solo is not one of those guitar hero solos. It's quite simple but with a unique sound to it.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: December 9, 2011 11:59

It's difficult to say because this solo is quite different from what Keith does usually - the tone due to the booster, for instance. However, there is some Keith feel to it - the nervousness and attack sometimes ring like the solo from "It's all over now". Doesn't "One plus one" show Keith practising the solo in an early form?

At that time, Keith was experimenting a lot, playing slide guitar, discovering open tunings... Lots of changes in Keith's playing... But if Keith played the solo in Wild Horses, why not this one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-09 12:03 by gwen.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 9, 2011 11:59

I must watch the Godard film again.

I can't remember Keith doing the solo in it.

And to be fair, it's not "usual Keith" and does have a touch of the Jimmy Pages about it.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 9, 2011 12:08

Keith plays some licks that would appear on the solo in the film One Plus One when he's messing about inbetween takes.

Yes it is Keith and the sound isn't that unusual in the context of 1967 - 1968, he used a similar sound for lead lines on The Lantern and Stray Cat Blues. Quit similar to Macca's Sgt Pepper lead guitar sound.

The amp used was most likley the Vox Supreme, all solid state, they used them(not exclusivley of course) from 1967 European Tour until some time in 1969(you can see one in photos taken at Redlands Spring 1969).

I did some clips of a 1967 Vox Supreme I used to own with a Gibson Les Paul Custom. I played the sympathy solo in the part titled(Vox Surpreme b), take a listen here:

www.myspace.com/voxsupreme

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-09 12:15 by His Majesty.

Date: December 9, 2011 12:10

His Majesty
Keith plays some licks that would appear on the solo in the film One Plus One when he's messing about inbetween takes.

All I can remember is that awesome grind he does on the black Les Paul... now that was pure Keith.

Date: December 9, 2011 12:10

At 3.27 you can hear Keith practising the solo. Then at 4.02.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-09 12:12 by gwen.

Date: December 9, 2011 12:16

At 3.27 you can hear Keith practising the solo.

Yeah.. well the main part anyway.

Not the stinging bit at beginning but having heard the other bit I have no doubt he did it now.

Date: December 9, 2011 12:21

His Majesty

Yes it is Keith and the sound isn't that unusual in the context of 1967 - 1968, he used a similar sound for lead lines on The Lantern and Stray Cat Blues. Quit similar to Macca's Sgt Pepper lead guitar sound.

The amp used was most likley the Vox Supreme, all solid state, they used them(not exclusivley of course) from 1967 European Tour until some time in 1969(you can see one in photos taken at Redlands Spring 1969).

I did some clips of a 1967 Vox Supreme I used to own with a Gibson Les Paul Custom. I played the sympathy solo in the part titled(Vox Surpreme b), take a listen here:

Ha ha, great Philip! A tad more treble, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. thumbs up

Date: December 9, 2011 12:27

DandelionPowderman
A tad more treble, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. thumbs up

That's where the treble booster comes in, right?

Date: December 9, 2011 12:27

That's great!

I liked the Gimme Shelter as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-09 12:28 by GravityBoy.

Date: December 9, 2011 12:38

gwen
DandelionPowderman
A tad more treble, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. thumbs up

That's where the treble booster comes in, right?

Doubt it.

The cab I had didn't have midax horns(Keith's would have), those add more treble also more could have been added at mixing console. smiling smiley

Date: December 9, 2011 14:11

His Majesty

How can you categorically say it was Keith? Were you there? I bow down to your great knowledge of instruments and musicianship but I don't think anyone has ever confirmed it was Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-09 15:35 by Silver Dagger.

Date: December 9, 2011 14:21

Silver Dagger
How can you catogorically say it was Keith? Were you there? I bow down to your great knowledge of instruments and musicianship but I don't think anyone has ever confirmed it was Keith.

Keith is actually practising the solo in the clips that were provided.

Unless he couldn't pull it off (pun intended) and got someone else to do it.

Date: December 9, 2011 14:22

Silver Dagger
His Majesty

How can you catogorically say it was Keith? Were you there? I bow down to your great knowledge of instruments and musicianship but I don't think anyone has ever confirmed it was Keith.

Who else could it be. Some session guy borrowing Keith's guitar and amp?

We weren't there, but the solo sounds very much like Keith to my ears. The sound is a bit unusual and thinner, but like His Majesty says, it is a bit similar to Stray Cat Blues and The Lantern (and also All Sold Out and Citadel, imo).

Date: December 9, 2011 15:38

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
His Majesty

We weren't there, but the solo sounds very much like Keith to my ears. The sound is a bit unusual and thinner, but like His Majesty says, it is a bit similar to Stray Cat Blues and The Lantern (and also All Sold Out and Citadel, imo).

It could easily be Dave Mason. Listen to the tone of his solo in Dear Mr Fantasy. Very similar. And it was Jimmy Miller who produced both of them.

Date: December 9, 2011 15:39

Silver Dagger

There are no certainties with any of this stuff, but there are certain licks in the solo that he's used elsewhere, the phrasing etc plus the One Plus One footage of him messing about inbetween takes... it all strongly suggests that it's Keith who played the solo.

I've never doubted it was Keith and see or hear no reason to doubt that it's Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-09 15:40 by His Majesty.

Date: December 9, 2011 16:06

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
His Majesty

It could easily be Dave Mason. Listen to the tone of his solo in Dear Mr Fantasy. Very similar. And it was Jimmy Miller who produced both of them.

Hmm, ok, yeah Mick and Keith must have heard this one. Even the same chords. But, Keith plays the solo on SFTD.

Solo at 1.51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-09 16:06 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: December 9, 2011 16:08

And Hey Jude of course.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home