Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Small Faces / The faces to Rock'n Roll Hall of fame
Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: December 7, 2011 13:39

Link

The Small Faces / The faces are inducted to Rock & Roll Hall of fame in April 2012.

Founded in London in 1965, the Small Faces were two great bands in one: visionary mods who were creative peers and commercial equals of the Beatles, the Who and the Rolling Stones, then reborn in the early Seventies with a shortened name and a thrilling inventive hard rock sound. Together, the Small Faces and Faces have been a lasting inspiration on artists like the Black Crowes, the Jam’s Paul Weller, the Replacements and Oasis. Named for their diminutive stature and mod slang for a snappy dresser, bassist Ronnie Lane, organist Ian McLagan, drummer Kenney Jones and singer Steve Marriott recorded an explosive series of U.K. hit singles and classic albums, mostly written by Marriott and Lane, that set the standard for Sixties soul-inflected pop and English psychedelic romanticism. Marriott’s Cockney-Otis Redding wail was a profound influence on heavy-rock singers like Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant. When Marriott quit in early 1969, Lane, Jones and McLagan recruited singer Rod Stewart and guitarist Ron Wood, both from the Jeff Beck Group. Fusing R&B, country roots and Fifties rock, the Faces made joyful roots music with arena muscle, cutting their own immortal body of work (1972’s “Stay With Me,” Lane’s elegiac gem “Ooh La La”) while conquering America with boozy-brother showmanship. The Faces broke up in 1975 when Stewart went solo full-time and Wood joined the Stones. (Lane died in 1997.) But in their exuberance and pioneering spirit, the Small Faces and the Faces have always been one band: brilliant, unprecedented and as influential as ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-07 13:41 by MRambler.

Re: The Small Faces / The faces to Rock'n Roll Hall of fame
Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 7, 2011 13:47

Steve Marriott is the most explosive vocalist I've heard except for Noddy Holder.

If only I could sing like Steve Marriott, or Noddy Holder for that matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-07 13:48 by howled.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 7, 2011 15:00

I was there in Cleveland to see it in 2005 but I thought they were already in it.

Date: December 7, 2011 15:05

thumbs up

Date: December 7, 2011 15:36

I like how the bio seems to think The Small Faces did not have a guitar player. Another fine job from the Rock Hall.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 7, 2011 15:56

It's about f-in time. It's supposed to be a ROCK N ROLL hall of Fame, but, what is there, maybe like five people who truly played pure rock n roll. I mean, if you want to have a "Rock" Hall of Fame, OK, go ahead, but let's have a Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. Where's Dave Edmunds? Wilko Johnson?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 7, 2011 16:10

I assume Jesse Ed Davis doesn't qualify, but hope they include Tetsu.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 7, 2011 16:10

Congrats!

I can't wait for the jamming at this one!
Let's hope Rod and Ronnie and ALL the GNR lineup show up!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 7, 2011 16:36

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: December 7, 2011 16:39

You mean the Jann Wenner HOF.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 7, 2011 16:39

i wonder if mac will/should buy me a round tomorrow night...seems like the right thing to do...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 7, 2011 17:17

I'm glad to see they finally got Donovan and Laura Nyro in.

Even though The Faces were called "Small Faces" on First Step, they really were two separate groups that represent two different things.

I've been ranting for years that the RnR HoF is crap because they have ignored these two legendary British bands. My guess is that in their attempt to draw in the family tourist business they want to induct as many of the more recent groups as possible. Somebody probably suggested the Black Crowes, but putting them in ahead of the Faces would have been ridiculous. And putting the Faces in before the Small Faces would have been nuts. So now you have this stupid two-fer.

A slap in the face, really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-07 17:36 by loog droog.

Date: December 7, 2011 17:26

not that i give a rip about something as arbitrary as the hof, but is humble pie in there? they were as important and as big as faces...very common ground...think the crowes borrowed as much from them as anyone, including faces and the stones...

Date: December 7, 2011 17:35

StonesTod
not that i give a rip about something as arbitrary as the hof, but is humble pie in there? they were as important and as big as faces...very common ground...think the crowes borrowed as much from them as anyone, including faces and the stones...

I agree that the Pie should be in, and should have been put in years ago.

That would also bring in Peter Frampton, a very talented guy who is worthy...but in my mind not for his uber-popular solo career.

Yes, the Hall is a joke....but if you're going to do something, at least do it right.

Date: December 7, 2011 17:37

frampton's not there yet? good heavens. it's the hall of FAME...there wasn't a more famous album in the 70's than frampton comes alive....

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: December 7, 2011 18:15

StonesTod, did Frampton ever do ANYTHING AFTER the Live LP... almost a one hit wonder you could say, fine studio albums up to that point, but he dropped off the charts after that

Date: December 7, 2011 18:20

gripweed
StonesTod, did Frampton ever do ANYTHING AFTER the Live LP... almost a one hit wonder you could say, fine studio albums up to that point, but he dropped off the charts after that

Well....he did "I'm In You" and the Sgt. Pepper movie...

But Humble Pie was insanely great. And deserve induction.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 7, 2011 18:29

Good, they deserve to be in. Frampton, not so much.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 7, 2011 18:44

gripweed

Let's not forget, "Frampton Comes Alive" MADE hits out of almost everything on that record that were previously obscure songs from his prior studio albums. It's quite an apt title because literally all those songs "Came Alive" after that tour.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 7, 2011 18:52

Good for Ronnie and the Faces. But a big snub leaving out the E Street Band.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 7, 2011 18:56

drbryant
I assume Jesse Ed Davis doesn't qualify, but hope they include Tetsu.

If they can find him... According to Andy Neill's Faces biography, he isn't the easiest person in the world to locate these days.

Seriously, this is long overdue. You may or may not think that the HOF is a good idea, but if it exists, the Small Faces and the Faces certainly ought to have been in it long ago.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 7, 2011 18:56

I've always been a little bit baffled why the Small Faces never made it bigger in America. I guess their cheeky chappy cockney personas were too odd for the American market.

While the Stones, Beatles, Yardbirds, Who and Animals launched a thousand soundalikes, I can't think of any US group that tried to emulate The Small Faces.

Date: December 7, 2011 19:00

The Sicilian
gripweed

Let's not forget, "Frampton Comes Alive" MADE hits out of almost everything on that record that were previously obscure songs from his prior studio albums. It's quite an apt title because literally all those songs "Came Alive" after that tour.

my point is that you could scarcely find a more FAMOUS guitarist on the planet than Frampton in the mid-70's...so what's a hall of FAME if it's not including the most famous of the famous?

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 7, 2011 19:07

Ogden's Nut Gone Flake is considered a landmark record. I thought once I heard the title cut in a Nike commercial. [en.wikipedia.org] I have not listened to this thoroughly.

Re: The Small Faces / Faces to Rock'n Roll Hall of fame
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 7, 2011 19:09

Carnaby
It's about f-in time

it sure is! finally

Date: December 7, 2011 19:09

Silver Dagger
I've always been a little bit baffled why the Small Faces never made it bigger in America. I guess their cheeky chappy cockney personas were too odd for the American market.

While the Stones, Beatles, Yardbirds, Who and Animals launched a thousand soundalikes, I can't think of any US group that tried to emulate The Small Faces.

The original Small Faces never actually managed to get to America, which may have had something to do with it. The Faces, who did get there often and successfully, often got billed as "Rod Stewart and the Small Faces" or something of the kind, long after the Small Faces had ceased to exist.

Date: December 7, 2011 19:18

a minor point on proper nomenclature:

there's no THE in either small faces or faces

thanks

Date: December 7, 2011 19:25

StonesTod

thanks

You'd better complain to Andy Neill. He has it wrong throughout all 500-odd pages of his book:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 7, 2011 19:26

StonesTod
The Sicilian
gripweed

my point is that you could scarcely find a more FAMOUS guitarist on the planet than Frampton in the mid-70's...so what's a hall of FAME if it's not including the most famous of the famous?

I agree, I still have the tee shirt from the tour.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 7, 2011 19:29

Green Lady
StonesTod

thanks

You'd better complain to Andy Neill. He has it wrong throughout all 500-odd pages of his book:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Ha, Andy is one of my best mates. I'll let him know the next time I see him.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home