Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: The Stones’ Some Girls Super Deluxe Box Set is a Disappointment – a comment to Mr. Jagger
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 22, 2011 05:20

treaclefingers
sweet neo con
treaclefingers
sweet neo con
treaclefingers
The SuperDeluxe box comes with the incredibly rare Beast of Burden 45 Picture Sleeve, the original being worth a couple of thousand dollars.

THAT, is what people are buying.

well..the ORIGINAL was rare but the one in the Super Deluxe box...is equivalent to a Xerox/Facsimile....so I hope
people aren't purchasing it for THAT.

But I agree that (re: re-issues, concert dvds & upcoming downloads) there is something to be thankful for...
because they could have continued to sit on that stuff and never release it.

Well obviously the original is rare...that IS why they've included the facsimile.

I've seen even acknowledged facisimile copies of this PS sell for over $200 on EBAY...that and SFM.

So you bet people are purchasing for that...they sure as hell aren't buying it for the CD's, they can get that for 9.99 GBP's on Amazon UK.

If that is true..i stand corrected. i wasn't attacking you..your response seemed a little defensive.
Still not sure why anyone would pay big bucks for a replica. To me that's like paying big bucks for a CD-R.

I didn't feel attacked, I assure you! So if I sounded defensive, didn't mean to. Just wasn't sure that my point came across, which is, the only reason to buy this is for the photocopied 45 sleeve, as ridiculous as that sounds as everything else is pretty much superfluous...in other words, no one is buying this for the book or stickers (I think?!) tongue sticking out smiley

cool..thanks for the clarification. i agree...not much incentive to splurge on the super deluxe box.

this was one time i simply wanted by the new bonus tracks and not the entire package.
i wonder why they didn't do the deal with Target Stores like they did for Exile....bonus disk only.

IORR............but I like it!

Re: The Stones’ Some Girls Super Deluxe Box Set is a Disappointment – a comment to Mr. Jagger
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 22, 2011 07:26

apparently it's selling in Canada...out of stock on Amazon.ca, pretty amazing:

[www.amazon.ca]

checking to see if we'd get a Black Friday price, as with Ladies and Gentlemen deluxe...apparently not.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 22, 2011 08:06

My response in just three words:

Glass half-full.

Date: November 22, 2011 10:31

A disappointment???? What are you guys on. I just had the weekend of my life, listening to this fantastic Super DeLuxe-box.

And I have to add: We Had It All is top 3 of everything the Stones ever have put out!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 22, 2011 10:47

Yeah, Dandelion and Tele, I agree! WOW! What a great release. Exciting and a wonderful gift. Perfect...well no, but perhaps that is because there are many on this site who are avid boot collectors and are comparing to things they already have..but this is a great release. I for one, enjoy it immensely.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: November 22, 2011 12:05

I never understood why anyone would want the Super Deluxe Box Sets. Who wants 5 CDs worth of false starts for songs you can get in perfect condition ? Not me. I want something that I will actually listen to.

The 2CD set, however, is precisely what I want. The original record plus 12 brand new songs for essentially the price of a single CD. That's a great bargain!

Date: November 22, 2011 12:22

walkingthedog
I never understood why anyone would want the Super Deluxe Box Sets. Who wants 5 CDs worth of false starts for songs you can get in perfect condition ? Not me. I want something that I will actually listen to.

The 2CD set, however, is precisely what I want. The original record plus 12 brand new songs for essentially the price of a single CD. That's a great bargain!

confused smiley

No false starts on the vinyl single of Beast Of Burden and When The Whip Comes Down. The three songs on the DVD from Texas + the music promo videos are all right, too winking smiley

Not to mention the splendid 100 page book with awesome pictures and sketches.

The Super DeLuxe was a bargain, highly recommended!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 22, 2011 13:01

Well I bought the Super Deluxe, I am a Stones fan for @#$%& sake.

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, I sure do hope there will be an official Brussels Affair one can go to the shop and buy, a CD that includes a BOOKLET.

One need the pics to go with the music and streamed mp3 or whatever it is flac, tack pac, don't do it for me.

It's like they don't trust the buying audience abot Brussels. People will buy it if it's good.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 22, 2011 15:40

@#$%& you all complainers. I'm glad it got pulled out.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 22, 2011 15:57

jamesjagger
@#$%& you all complainers. I'm glad it got pulled out.

Less complaints,just more disappointment.
That´s a difference and that´s all.

Date: November 22, 2011 19:36

DandelionPowderman
walkingthedog

confused smiley

No false starts on the vinyl single of Beast Of Burden and When The Whip Comes Down. The three songs on the DVD from Texas + the music promo videos are all right, too winking smiley

Not to mention the splendid 100 page book with awesome pictures and sketches.

The Super DeLuxe was a bargain, highly recommended!

I'm glad you like it...I'm waiting patiently.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 22, 2011 20:37

Sometimes there's good reason to complain. This boxset would be one. After seeing The Beach Boys Smile box I immediately wanted it, and I'm not a big fan. Mostly because the box itself is beautiful, unlike the Some Girls box. They could have done something as simple as making a sliding cover like the original LP. Also, the content doesn't offer much more than the 2 CD set, actually if you buy the Texas Bluray you will get the same DVD extras minus the three promo videos. In the end the that plus a repro 45 is the only thing interesting. Anyhow, I would like to see more value for the money. A little more creativity please. That's my constructive criticism, for what it's worth.

Date: November 23, 2011 00:07

Anyone interested, my superdeluxe set is travelling more than I have in recent years...here is the latest news from UPS:

Date Time Location Event Details
22 Nov 2011 12:42:00 PM Louisville KY US Arrival Scan
22 Nov 2011 10:47:00 AM Philadelphia PA US Departure Scan
22 Nov 2011 06:25:00 AM Philadelphia PA US Arrival Scan
22 Nov 2011 03:47:00 AM East Midlands Airpor GB Departure Scan
21 Nov 2011 11:39:00 PM East Midlands Airpor GB Departure Scan
21 Nov 2011 11:28:00 PM East Midlands Airpor GB Arrival Scan
21 Nov 2011 11:11:00 PM East Midlands Airpor GB Departure Scan
21 Nov 2011 10:25:00 PM East Midlands Airpor GB Arrival Scan
21 Nov 2011 09:28:00 PM Edinburgh GB Departure Scan
21 Nov 2011 07:45:00 PM Edinburgh GB Arrival Scan
21 Nov 2011 07:30:00 PM Edinburgh GB Departure Scan
21 Nov 2011 06:04:00 PM Edinburgh GB Shipment received by carrier
21 Nov 2011 08:07:28 AM GB Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 23, 2011 02:11

I got the deluxe and super deluxe Some Girls and the Blu-ray/CD combo pack of Live in Texas yesterday. Yes, with these and Brussels, it's a good week to be a Stones fan.

In short, everything that most people here need is on one of the DVD/CD or Blu-ray/CD combo packs of Live in Texas and the deluxe 2 CD Some Girls. The book and extras in the super deluxe box are nice enough, but they're not essential.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 23, 2011 02:20

Disappointment is caused by wrong expectations eye rolling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 23, 2011 02:43

Rolling Hansie

your opinion is of disappointment to me...I may need to adjust my expectations in the future.
smoking smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 23, 2011 10:01

You're not the intended audience for this (wonderful imo) release -- get over it and move on.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 23, 2011 12:04

Moving on, and hoping the next box will be impressive enough to want.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 23, 2011 13:04

Rolling Hansie

...or any expectations at all. smoking smiley

Date: November 23, 2011 14:10

-------------------

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: November 23, 2011 14:33

because of R******, have been hanging out on some pop music forums. quite touching
to see kids in 2011 doing extra chores so they can get the deluxe version, or if
they got the cash, buying copies for their friends. real stans. quite touching.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 15:43

I noticed just now that the box set is already sold out at the rollingstones.com store.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 23, 2011 15:56

sweet neo con

I believe MJ is quite a history buff but I get the feeling (sometimes) that his desire NOT to dwell
on the past TRIVIALIZES the Rolling Stones' place in Rock & Roll HISTORY.

An oxy-moron at its best.

You cannot be a history buff and not dwell on the past. The two are NOT mutually exclusive. They are one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-23 15:57 by The Sicilian.

Date: November 23, 2011 17:04

I haven't, and won't, buy the box set - same with Exile. I was very happy to get the bonus songs on both releases, and any new DVD material by the Stones is always welcome in my home. But...in my opinion, both sets contain fairly useless DVD offerings. Why? Why do you need a slimmed down "Stones in Exile" or the Some Girls "Promo Reel"? Even if they would have just made that tiny leap into including the complete DVDs, I'd probably have bought both boxes just for the convenience. Postcards and the like don't interest me at all. I would pay good money (again) for more unreleased music - even if it consisted of "WHen the Whip Comes Down: Takes 18-437, with studio chatter". I may be in the minority - but I actually enjoy that stuff, er, sometimes.

Having said all that - I bought the double disc yesterday and find it superior to the Exile project, I really like the songs they did include. Also, I find the remastered Some Girls LP to be a nicely done job - some here will no doubt disagree, but I was hearing things clearly in the new mix that were previously buried. It's just a shame that, when they clearly could have had the die-hards by the balls, they just don't get it.

Date: November 23, 2011 17:12

UnderAssistantWCpromoMan
I haven't, and won't, buy the box set - same with Exile. I was very happy to get the bonus songs on both releases, and any new DVD material by the Stones is always welcome in my home. But...in my opinion, both sets contain fairly useless DVD offerings. Why? Why do you need a slimmed down "Stones in Exile" or the Some Girls "Promo Reel"? Even if they would have just made that tiny leap into including the complete DVDs, I'd probably have bought both boxes just for the convenience. Postcards and the like don't interest me at all. I would pay good money (again) for more unreleased music - even if it consisted of "WHen the Whip Comes Down: Takes 18-437, with studio chatter". I may be in the minority - but I actually enjoy that stuff, er, sometimes.

Having said all that - I bought the double disc yesterday and find it superior to the Exile project, I really like the songs they did include. Also, I find the remastered Some Girls LP to be a nicely done job - some here will no doubt disagree, but I was hearing things clearly in the new mix that were previously buried. It's just a shame that, when they clearly could have had the die-hards by the balls, they just don't get it.

The book was really nice, imo, but I get your point.

Date: November 23, 2011 17:26

DandelionPowderman
UnderAssistantWCpromoMan

The book was really nice, imo, but I get your point.

You know, I'd enjoy having a nicely detailed book - but I would rather have that as a compliment to a true raid of the vaults, rather than the centerpiece. I haven't see it yet, but I hope to someday.

Date: November 23, 2011 17:29

sweet neo con
Midnight Toker
This reissue thing sucks. Just give us the unreleased stuff ala carte. The marketing of this stuff stinks.

I think i agree (in this case).

I just returned from BEST BUY. I went there expecting to buy the DVD & the Deluxe (2 CD) Some Girls.

Arrived home with only the $11.99 DVD.

Take it back. The DVD/CD is in the DVD music section. The DVD is in the 'new releases' of music in general. I almost made that mistake. However, I asked and they said they had the DVD/CD edition.

Date: November 23, 2011 18:01

The Sicilian
sweet neo con

I believe MJ is quite a history buff but I get the feeling (sometimes) that his desire NOT to dwell
on the past TRIVIALIZES the Rolling Stones' place in Rock & Roll HISTORY.

An oxy-moron at its best.

You cannot be a history buff and not dwell on the past. The two are NOT mutually exclusive. They are one.

Mick needs to understand that the past is what's important now. That he indeed needs to bother with it. His concern with 'moving forward' and keeping up with the times and doing new things doesn't matter anymore. SuperHeavy proved that. Nobody cares if it's not good or interesting.

Nothing they do now changes their place in history. That's been long over with. If anything, these released vault tracks can soften the damage done by recent flub ups (Sweet Neo Con, Streets Of Love, perhaps A BIGGER BANG in general, The Biggest Bang, Shine A Light).

Why Mick chose to make the essence of this Some Girls release more shallow than necessary by not including Misty Roads etc is beyond me. Then again it's what I wanted to get. It's what I was hoping for. If he's going to bother certainly he'll get the good ones out. Leaving those tracks off and instead putting When You're Gone (the 2011 vocals are over enunciated), Don't Be A Stranger (sure this isn't a Voodoo leftover?), a bizarre I Love You Too Much, Keep Up Blues and Petrol Blues on is a bit of a head shaker and begs the question: does he even grasp his own history? How could Misty Roads, Fiji Gin, Munich Hilton etc, better songs in general, be left off for two blues songs that are nothing spectacular (still nice to have but come on) or the other ones that are not anywhere near the quality of the LP to begin with, in which in this case make sense that they were not finished?

Do not mistake that with me not being glad to have what there is. I am. But it makes me shake my fists in the air with another "COME ON!!!!!!" followed by a head shake of 'missed again'.

So Young, Do You Think I Really Care, We Had It All, You Win Again, No Spare Parts and Tallahassee Lassie are excellent.

Date: November 23, 2011 19:54

Got my box in the mail today. And it's beautiful

-------------------

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 23:06

I'm really loving the extra songs beyond the original Some Girls release.... it sounds naturally great.... wonderful to hear. Thank you and goodnight.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home