Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: The Stones’ Some Girls Super Deluxe Box Set is a Disappointment – a comment to Mr. Jagger
Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: November 30, 2011 19:21

fantastic post. i bought the deluxe set because its something I dreamed of the stones putting out for years but turd is totally on the mark here. unfortunately my financial situation is precarious and the only luxury i afford myself is music. having gotten the u2 achtung set and comparing it to this set is really a disappointment. in these really hard times for so many of us the value for the money that the stones give us falls short. turd wrote a beautiful post and nails the thoughts of many of us. love the new music but expected much more value and much more care to taken putting this together. after all only us hardcore nuts would buy something like this.

Re: The Stones’ Some Girls Super Deluxe Box Set is a Disappointment – a comment to Mr. Jagger
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: January 30, 2013 19:37

Just purchased my Some girls super deluxe on ebay for £30. Sealed copy. A good price for an disappointment boxset winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-30 20:27 by steffiestones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 30, 2013 19:52

steffiestones
Just purchased my Solme girls super deluxe on ebay for £30. Sealed copy. A good price for an disappointment boxset winking smiley

A steal!

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 30, 2013 20:00

treaclefingers
steffiestones
Just purchased my Solme girls super deluxe on ebay for £30. Sealed copy. A good price for an disappointment boxset winking smiley

A steal!

Indeed, she Stolme it!

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: January 30, 2013 20:30

uhbuhgullayew
treaclefingers
steffiestones

A steal!

Indeed, she Stolme it!

Solmy for the misspelling!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 30, 2013 20:35

Yah lost me at this:

"... the psychedelic cul-de-sac they had painted themselves into with Their Satanic Majesties Request..."

eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-30 20:37 by His Majesty.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 30, 2013 21:29

BRAVO, well said , i agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: fredlynn19 ()
Date: January 30, 2013 23:14

surprised you guys dont like the outtakes. who cares if the original is remastered or not? we all know that album by heart. It is the previously unissued tunes that i want to hear. And if you re a Stones fan, how can you not like "No Spare parts" or "Claudine" or their version of "You WIn Again" or some of the others...........??

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2013 23:48

His Majesty
Yah lost me at this:

"... the psychedelic cul-de-sac they had painted themselves into with Their Satanic Majesties Request..."

Makes perfect sense: Their second worst LP ever followed by Jumpin' Jack Flash and then Beggars Banquet.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 31, 2013 04:17

These box sets seem to be generally underwhelming. I wasn't much of a fan of the Exile and Ya-Ya's boxes either, but they were better than Some Girls. They also seem to make tons of them, so if you can wait a year or so, you can pick em up cheap.

Date: January 31, 2013 04:21

drbryant
These box sets seem to be generally underwhelming. I wasn't much of a fan of the Exile and Ya-Ya's boxes either, but they were better than Some Girls. They also seem to make tons of them, so if you can wait a year or so, you can pick em up cheap.

yeah they're generally not 'worth it' as far as value is concerned. Certainly depends on what you've paid.

Date: January 31, 2013 09:56

I fail to see why this was a missed oportunity. I think the box set is great.

It was cool getting the vinyl single of Beast Of Burden and When The Whip Comes Down as well.

Mick is smart. If there is demand, he will surely make a SG deLuxe pt. 2, with some more re-worked outtakes.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 31, 2013 11:03

No wonder he doesn't listen to you - it's Sir Mick Jagger, not Mr Jagger! Remember he is ennobled now.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 31, 2013 19:36

excellent post Turd!
There is so much truth to everything you said and you laid it out perfectly.
I bought my first Stones bootleg in the late 80s - it was Claudine (Accidents Happen))
and it was a revelation. I would eventually collect all the different variations (Some Other Girls, More Fast Numbers etc) in the next few years...Those sessions are among my favorite Stones albums after Exile and the released version of SG. I always thought that if people could hear this stuff - they would realize how great the Stones were. Jagger was on fire...full of creative energy and he was at his most naked and raw on many of these outtakes - the half-finished vocals, and incomplete chord progressions just add to the intensity because you know nothing is being manipulated - it's all happening in real time.
They are a great Stones document and in my wildest Stones' dreams, I had always wished they were somehow released in all their blood-on-the-tracks glory.
You mention U@, Beach Boys....there have been others who know the value of this kind of stuff to their fans and to their history -
But not Mick.
He just doesn't get it. He has this old-fashioned notion of what fans want - like he's still in the 60s trying to pick the best 'radio hits'
I know what you mean - although we have this stuff on boots, it would be such an occasion and eye-opener for the casual rock and roll fan to hear this these sessions - its rock and roll at its most passionate and intense.
Remixing, new vocals on demos defeats the purpose of releasing anything as a 'reissue'
Only the Stones do that. I don't get it...but know why.
Jagger has to control everything and on those sessions, he was so spontaneous and unguarded ....and mostly, probably medicated somehow.
In his mind, they are not worthy of release.
In my mind, and what you expressed so beautifully - they add to the Stones' historical relevance. There's always going to be those who are 'at least we got something'
That's not good enough - I want great. Because the Stones often denigrate their own importance and genius with some of their choices.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-31 19:38 by stupidguy2.

Date: January 31, 2013 21:23

DandelionPowderman
I fail to see why this was a missed oportunity. I think the box set is great.

It was cool getting the vinyl single of Beast Of Burden and When The Whip Comes Down as well.

Mick is smart. If there is demand, he will surely make a SG deLuxe pt. 2, with some more re-worked outtakes.

It's great getting good product, I think the only issue here is that for the money, you're getting considerably less. Hell, I'd have been willing to spend more if we could actually have gotten a lot more.

What are they waiting for, the 40th anniversary of the album? It just doesn't make sense to hold back when their buying audience wants it now. The next generation of Stones fans won't be fanatic enough to buy these big sets so from their own financial standpoint, put it out now and quit pissing us off!

Having said that, I also like having BOB pic sleeve finally!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 31, 2013 23:14

GasLightStreet
His Majesty
Yah lost me at this:

Makes perfect sense: Their second worst LP ever followed by Jumpin' Jack Flash and then Beggars Banquet.

Perfect sense to people with boring musical tastes.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 1, 2013 02:31

I for one think the Some Girls Deluxe box set is great. The book that comes with it is fantastic with lots of great historical information and a great spread on the graphics of the album and how it was made. The music as well, fabulous.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 1, 2013 03:21

I was disappointed in the "bonus" songs on the SOME GIRLS reissue (because I have better bootlegs), but I'm so in love with DOOM AND GLOOM and ONE MORE SHOT I wonder if their quality is partly due to the Stones having revisited with each other in the studio to "polish up" the bonus songs on both the SOME GIRLS and EXILE reissues. Maybe their chemistry with each other was a little closer to the surface than it would have been.

Date: February 1, 2013 06:09

Title5Take1
I was disappointed in the "bonus" songs on the SOME GIRLS reissue (because I have better bootlegs), but I'm so in love with DOOM AND GLOOM and ONE MORE SHOT I wonder if their quality is partly due to the Stones having revisited with each other in the studio to "polish up" the bonus songs on both the SOME GIRLS and EXILE reissues. Maybe their chemistry with each other was a little closer to the surface than it would have been.

Wasn't it just Mick that was involved in the 'polishing' process? Maybe Mick Taylor as well, on PMS.

I think that's it isn't it...or am I missing something?

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: July 23, 2014 01:14

I just bought the box off eBay for £30 including postage. It's a steal for £30.

Date: July 23, 2014 01:22

Funny! I'm listening to the bonus album right now on vinyl, and this thread pops up again all of a sudden smiling smiley

No doubt about it, this release is the best of the best - with the CIMD box as a close second thumbs up

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 23, 2014 11:19

If there is any disappointment, then it probably is not with what's there, it is with what's missing. One gets the feeling that the Stones keep some stuff for further "anniversary super deluxe" editions in the years to come. Whatever one may think of certain outtakes like Fiji Jim, I Need You, Misty Roads and others, not including the 12" version of Miss You and Everything Is Turning To Gold is not understandable as these tracks were actually released back then. Same thing with Exile On Main St. Blues from the NME flexi for the exile deluxe edition, not a truly essential track, but an omission that hurts nonetheless because this track is so closely connected to the album, truly enjoyable and a flexidisc noise-free version from the master tape such an obvious choice under normal circumstances.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 23, 2014 11:31

I thought (and still think) that the bonus CD was the best Stones album in years, I play it all the time, unlike, say, ABB.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 23, 2014 11:56

DandelionPowderman
Funny! I'm listening to the bonus album right now on vinyl, and this thread pops up again all of a sudden smiling smiley

No doubt about it, this release is the best of the best - with the CIMD box as a close second thumbs up

You can get the bonus disk on vinyl ? I'd missed that !

Where from ?

Date: July 23, 2014 13:19

Spud
DandelionPowderman

You can get the bonus disk on vinyl ? I'd missed that !

Where from ?

It is a bootleg, though, but a beauty indeed! Check out a vinyl release called "Some Girls - The Outtakes". Should be available in some stores as well. At least it is here in Norway. Try Discogs if you wanna purchase it in web shops or privately.

Date: July 23, 2014 13:23

alimente
If there is any disappointment, then it probably is not with what's there, it is with what's missing. One gets the feeling that the Stones keep some stuff for further "anniversary super deluxe" editions in the years to come. Whatever one may think of certain outtakes like Fiji Jim, I Need You, Misty Roads and others, not including the 12" version of Miss You and Everything Is Turning To Gold is not understandable as these tracks were actually released back then. Same thing with Exile On Main St. Blues from the NME flexi for the exile deluxe edition, not a truly essential track, but an omission that hurts nonetheless because this track is so closely connected to the album, truly enjoyable and a flexidisc noise-free version from the master tape such an obvious choice under normal circumstances.

Both the long MY version and Everything Is Turning To Gold are officially released. That might have something to do with it. Those, and Too Young, would have been too much?

I don't miss those other songs that much, to be honest. But we're used to listening to hours of great music on the Pathe Marconi Sessions, and one album of that stuff might feel a little truncated, I agree in general...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 23, 2014 14:09

DandelionPowderman
alimente

Both the long MY version and Everything Is Turning To Gold are officially released. That might have something to do with it. Those, and Too Young, would have been too much?

I don't miss those other songs that much, to be honest. But we're used to listening to hours of great music on the Pathe Marconi Sessions, and one album of that stuff might feel a little truncated, I agree in general...

Yes, MY long version and Everything Is Turning To Gold are officially released, but are they still officially available other than as mp3 downloads? Of course, I already own them and whenever I want to listen to them, I could do so with a snap of my fingertips. But there's still this "having everything together in one place"-desire when I think of expensive "Superdeluxe"-packages.

Anyways, considering the fact that for decades the Stones archives were tightly closed, one should be grateful for any "escapes" from the vaults! Something is indeed better than nothing.

Date: July 23, 2014 14:49

alimente
DandelionPowderman
alimente

Yes, MY long version and Everything Is Turning To Gold are officially released, but are they still officially available other than as mp3 downloads? Of course, I already own them and whenever I want to listen to them, I could do so with a snap of my fingertips. But there's still this "having everything together in one place"-desire when I think of expensive "Superdeluxe"-packages.

Anyways, considering the fact that for decades the Stones archives were tightly closed, one should be grateful for any "escapes" from the vaults! Something is indeed better than nothing.

MY is on the Rarities-cd. Gold is on Sucking In The 70s. Both albums are available, no?

I agrer about the having everything-part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-23 14:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 23, 2014 14:53

Aquamarine
I thought (and still think) that the bonus CD was the best Stones album in years, I play it all the time, unlike, say, ABB.

Same here Aqua...love, love, love it. Wish they would do one of those great songs in concert, but can't see it ever happening.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 23, 2014 15:04

At least with this release it was possible to get the bonus music without having to buy a boxful of overpriced souvenirs. Yes, the bonus CD is a great album in its own right.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home