Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Vocalists in the forum. How do you judge Mick's voice?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 15, 2011 02:47

mickschix
Well, are you offering to arrange that, STONES TOD?

for a price

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 15, 2011 10:21

Redhotcarpet
Lennon had the best voice during the Beatles and 1970 and 1974.

Nah, you have to say Bowie in 1972...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 15, 2011 11:43

Yeah but I meant 1970 and then 1974. Not in 1971-1973. Bowie, Iggy...

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 15, 2011 12:38

mickschix
"...but when he wants to deliver a song, like " As Tears Go By", he delivers the goods! I like to compare the early version of that song to the version I heard in 2006. I prefer the 2006 version because he has an understanding of the lyrics that a 22 year old obviously could not have.
I don't understand how someone can claim to love the Stones and hate Mick's voice...
McCartney and Steven Tyler also still have IT for sure. Rod Stewart is a REAL example of a singer who has seen his finest hour and it has passed, I'm sorry to say. I used to love his voice when he was with the Faces!

Well, mickschix, you make one set of rules for Jagger, and another set of rules for the rest. The quote 'I don't understand how someone can claim to love the Stones and hate Mick's voice...' doesn't quite make sense, because as you have only too well implied of McCartney, Steven Tyler, and Rod Stewart, it is possible to be affected vocally by the passage of time. The fact that you resist the notion that that may also be true of Jagger, shows some serious inconsistency on your part. However, of course we do tend to interpret what we hear rather differently, because, for me, 'As Tears Go By', the 2006 version, is actually THE prime example of everything that is wrong with Mick's present day voice, being grating and all, the original version being so much more sincere and convincing, and perhaps a little more fragile. However, your analysis of Rod Stewart is something i wholeheartedly agree with. Rod's voice did begin to lose much of its grit by the latter half of the seventies, as he became increasing entrenched in the smoother, and more sophisticated US musical climate. I'm not sure he wholly began to lose it because of that, however, or because of the natural aging process. One thing is for sure though, he's certainly lost it now. Rod shows his age greatly these days in my opinion, and for me, he's no longer really an effective rock singer. Maybe the American Songbook is a worthy option for him these days, i'm not sure. However, it doesn't do his credibility any good amongst many of his longterm fans. Rod's almost toeing a Simon Cowell like production line.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-15 12:44 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 24, 2012 17:08

Mick is simply unique, he found a unique space in pop/rock vocalists.

He's not an opera singer and he's not got a "good" singing voice, but it WORKS 100% in this context!!

Mick is perfect for The Rolling Stones.

Young Mick - pre-WWIII - Mick is fantastic, always worth listening too.

As he got older he started introducing annoying vocal nuances that sometimes make listening to him difficult (but not always).

There will never be another Mick Jagger.

Unique and a true superstar.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 24, 2012 17:09

mickschix
You have to dismiss a lot of the critics' opinions about Mick's voice because they probably think Chris Martin is a great vocalist...UGH! Mick is in a category all by himself and you don't need to say " for someone 68 years old". He can deliver a song like few front men in the history of rock. If you're measuring him against a classically trained vocalist, which would be stupid anyway because rock is not opera!! COME ON, you're right in citing ALFIE...a great example of some of Mick's best vocals. " Old Habits Die Hard" is one of my favorites. I think that when Mick gets bored, on a rare occasion, he can put on accents and slur the words or hurry the lyrics as if he just wants to finish....which I'm sure is true! I recall live versions of " Respectable"...but when he wants to deliver a song, like " As Tears Go By", he delivers the goods! I like to compare the early version of that song to the version I heard in 2006. I prefer the 2006 version because he has an understanding of the lyrics that a 22 year old obviously could not have.
I don't understand how someone can claim to love the Stones and hate Mick's voice...
!

I agree.
This one of my favourites: I think Mick sounds fantastic on this, there´s sensitivity, One of the finest songs on Bigger Bang.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 24, 2012 18:23

It's all what pleases the listener's ear that matters. By what standards should he be judged? He's not an opera singer. He's a rock and blues singer. When it comes to the kind of music the Stones do, I don't think anybody does it better. It's about passion and feeling. Just like how Keith Richards is not Segovia, but what he plays is perfect for the Stones (at least at his peak).

Date: February 24, 2012 19:34

Mick would never have qualified for the first round of X-Factor.

Which is not a criticism of Mick but speaks more about the modern day industry.

Date: February 24, 2012 19:45

GravityBoy

Janis Joplin, Mick, Jim Morrison, Iggy Pop, you name it - would never have qualified for the first round of X-Factor. On the other hand - X Factor, Idols etc, - kinda shows will never, ever never have anything REAL in the show. It´s fake, plastic, radio friendly whimpy square products to kiss and lick the record companies...As a fan of music - those TV shows have nothing to offer.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 24, 2012 19:59

Billy Idol: "Robert Plant can sing and Mick Jagger can't. But do I listen to Robert Plant? No, I listen to Mick Jagger. Why? Because he can't sing and he sounds great. It's what you put into it."

Date: February 24, 2012 20:33

LENNY KRAVITZ ON MICK JAGGER

I sometimes talk to people who sing perfectly in a technical sense who don't understand Mick Jagger. But what he does is so complex: His sense of pitch and melody is really sophisticated. His vocals are stunning, flawless in their own kind of perfection. There are certain songs where he just becomes a different person. Take "Angie": I've never heard that tone from him since, and it wasn't there before. And I love when he sings falsetto, like on "Emotional Rescue" or "Fool to Cry."

I like him best when he's singing super-raw. When I co-produced "God Gave Me Everything" [for Goddess in the Doorway], he did what he thought would be a scratch vocal. He barely knew the lyric — he was reading off a piece of paper. There were no stops, just one take. Bam! It ended up being the vocal we used on the record.

Mick is a disciplined artist, completely dedicated to his craft. His voice has changed somewhat and has a different texture, but it's stronger now. One time the Stones were on tour, and during a two-week break Mick and I went on vacation in the Bahamas. We'd hang out during the day, go to the beach, shop at the market, cook dinner, drink wine. In the evening he would go to the bottom floor of the place where we were staying and put on a Rolling Stones soundcheck tape — just the band playing songs without him singing. He would stay down there, dancing and singing to keep himself in shape. Your voice is like a muscle. If you're on the road and you stop for two weeks and then go back to do a show, you're going to get hoarse. So he was down there every night practicing. As a result, at 65 years of age, he's stronger than ever.

The beauty of that experience was sitting in a living room hearing "Brown Sugar" and "Satisfaction" live through the floor. That was my entertainment every night. It was very surreal

- LENNY KRAVITZ

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Date: February 24, 2012 20:38

Iggy Pop's force-of-nature vocals with the Stooges invented the snarling style that came to define punk rock. "I got the idea of the voice as an irritant from Mick Jagger," Iggy told Rolling Stone. "When he sang, it was the opposite of nice."

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 24, 2012 20:45

seitan
GravityBoy

Janis Joplin, Mick, Jim Morrison, Iggy Pop, you name it - would never have qualified for the first round of X-Factor. On the other hand - X Factor, Idols etc, - kinda shows will never, ever never have anything REAL in the show. It´s fake, plastic, radio friendly whimpy square products to kiss and lick the record companies...As a fan of music - those TV shows have nothing to offer.

Nothing has changed in a way...they're have always been the manufactured bubble gum music for the teenies, so I don't think this is a 'modern day' phenomenon.

What you appear to have less of, are 'alternative' bands like the stones, that cross-over and become a mainstream phenomenon. Maybe we're just waiting for the next band to be able to do that though?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 24, 2012 22:27

I feel that I would be a better judge of Mick's Voice if I was sitting in Erik's chair with a glass of Champagne.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 24, 2012 23:24

What was Jagger's best year as a singer? I'd say 1969 cool smiley

Date: February 24, 2012 23:26

BTW all this talk (by clowns such as Billy Idol) about Jagger not (and never) being able to sing is a laugh.

Date: February 24, 2012 23:28

seitan
Janis Joplin, Mick, Jim Morrison, Iggy Pop - would never have qualified for the first round of X-Factor.

I think Joplin would have. As for the other 3: they'd probably have exposed themselves grinning smiley

Rock legends that they are cool smiley

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: February 24, 2012 23:38

No singer at 68 sounds as good as they did when they were 30.

Date: February 25, 2012 00:03

Rocknroll1969
No singer at 68 sounds as good as they did when they were 30.

Tell that to Johnny Cash who made his best albums just before he died
or Leonard Cohen who seems to be getting better all the time.

Date: February 25, 2012 00:58

Title5Take1
Singers are gonna know why Mick's great in subtle ways non-singers don't.

BS.

I know what grates and some (not all) of post 1981 does.

Thing is.. late Mick doesn't always grate.

For instance.. "Rough Justice" is outstanding and would have graced any Stones album you care to mention.

This is from someone who slags off late Mick on a regular basis.

Date: February 25, 2012 05:57

Youngie

Date: February 25, 2012 16:41

treaclefingers
Youngie

Well that shut me up! grinning smiley

Date: February 25, 2012 21:59

Youngie
treaclefingers
Youngie

Well that shut me up! grinning smiley

Wasn't meant to! smileys with beer

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 25, 2012 23:22

Mick Jagger since 1983 or so has been the most successful unintentional comedian in the music industry.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: pinksuit ()
Date: February 26, 2012 02:16

seitan
mickschix
You have to dismiss a lot of the critics' opinions about Mick's voice because they probably think Chris Martin is a great vocalist...UGH! Mick is in a category all by himself and you don't need to say " for someone 68 years old". He can deliver a song like few front men in the history of rock. If you're measuring him against a classically trained vocalist, which would be stupid anyway because rock is not opera!! COME ON, you're right in citing ALFIE...a great example of some of Mick's best vocals. " Old Habits Die Hard" is one of my favorites. I think that when Mick gets bored, on a rare occasion, he can put on accents and slur the words or hurry the lyrics as if he just wants to finish....which I'm sure is true! I recall live versions of " Respectable"...but when he wants to deliver a song, like " As Tears Go By", he delivers the goods! I like to compare the early version of that song to the version I heard in 2006. I prefer the 2006 version because he has an understanding of the lyrics that a 22 year old obviously could not have.
!

I agree.
This one of my favourites: I think Mick sounds fantastic on this, there´s sensitivity, One of the finest songs on Bigger Bang.

Thanks for mentioning this. When ABB came out, this really got me hooked. I still think it is one of their greatest latter day songs, if not one of their best ballads. Micks singing is great and also the band is really great. (But that is my close to 50 grown up experience)

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 26, 2012 02:17

In a wig, fetching black robe, and big gavel.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 26, 2012 02:24

"One of the finest songs on Bigger Bang."

That's like saying "one of the finest members of the '62 Mets".

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 26, 2012 03:21

I'm not a vocalist but I have ears and Mick was superb with Jeff Beck Tuesday night at the White House! " Commit A Crime" was menacing, like the Mick of ole! His voice was spot on, perfect for the song! I see no signs of a damaged set of pipes!

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: February 26, 2012 03:48

heedaagard obviously you didnt attend the bigger bang tour(the last ones)he sounded better than ever,i was in attendance.

Date: February 26, 2012 21:16

jamesfdouglas
Mick Jagger since 1983 or so has been the most successful unintentional comedian in the music industry.

So true sadly...when "Old Habits Die Hard" came out a few years ago, I actually heard it on the radio...after the song played, the DJ came on an mocked Mick for his inability to enunciate and started singing "Old Habits Die Hard" in an Elmer Fudd voice.

Dat Waskily Wabbit!

It was hysterical but as you've said, probably 'unintentionally funny' on MJ's part.

I actually like the song, but now I can't get past some of those 'Elmerisms' MJ is fond of using in that song (and a few others).

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home