Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Vocalists in the forum. How do you judge Mick's voice?
Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: November 6, 2011 20:16

Well, mainly Licks Tour and Bigger bang. A comparison with past periods would be more than welcome. Thank you!

Re: Vocalists in the forum. How do you judge Mick's voice?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 6, 2011 20:47

he was better when he was young and mattered. old mick could learn a thing or two from young mick.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 6, 2011 20:51

Compared to other singers or compared to himself in different eras?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 6, 2011 20:55

jamesfdouglas

Compared to the other band members

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: November 6, 2011 20:56

jamesfdouglas

Compared to himself.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 6, 2011 21:03

Well hardly one to judge but it's easy to do:

---the tone is about 5 out of 10, the authenticity varies between 6 out of 10 and 10 out of 10 , the contribution to the song is a firm 8 out of 10.

Overall ...judges....7 out of 10

I never though him to me much of a straight singer. His best straight vocal work is when he is trying to sound like an old blues dude or when he is toungue and cheeking it with the Bakersfield country stuff. Over dooing it so to speak. He does however add dance moves and other stage (and songwriting) antics to create a great performer out of a mediocre vocalist. He has good days and bad days I'm sure , like all singers. peace.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: November 6, 2011 21:08

Latest and most recent Superheavy, excellent. I think we all know the voice changes with age, so album by album I think Mick has done ok, depending on the number he is singing he adjust's the voice

Date: November 6, 2011 21:15

the issue isn't his voice, per se...it's his singing style and forced mannerisms that have rendered him mostly unlistenable...young mick would have strangled old mick if he could have...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 6, 2011 21:20

StonesTod
the issue isn't his voice, per se...it's his singing style and forced mannerisms that have rendered him mostly unlistenable...young mick would have strangled old mick if he could have...

thumbs up

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 6, 2011 21:37

If you want Mick to be a Church Choir singer / tenor singer etc. - then you shouldn't listen to Mick. Mick is not a "polished / clean" singer - he is a rock / blues singer.

Listen to Stripped and you will find "excellent Mick singing". he also had excellent moments during the BB Tour and Licks tour (listen to DVD from Paris).

If Stones go on tour in 2012 you will find a Mick with a weaker voice.

What are age-related voice changes?

The larynx and vocal folds age along with the rest of the body. Aging affects two main aspects of vocal fold anatomy and function. First of all, the muscle of the vocal fold loses bulk (a process called “atrophy”), much like muscle elsewhere in the body. Second, the flexible tissues which are responsible for vocal fold vibration during voicing (known as the superficial lamina propria; click here for more information) become thinner, stiffer and less pliable. Together, these changes sometimes result in a voice which is perceived as sounding “old.”

Changes related to age vary a great deal from person to person, both in severity and time of onset. Some individuals may retain a resonant, normal-sounding voice deep into their 80s, whereas others begin to sound “old” as early as their 50s. We do not know what accounts for this variation. It is possible that some of it is genetically determined, and accounts for patterns of vocal aging that run in families.

Age-related voice change is one of the most intriguing topics in voice medicine, and a lot of research must still be performed before this phenomenon is fully understood. The reader should keep in mind that much of what follows remains a topic of active discussion and debate among physicians in this field.

What are the symptoms of age-related voice changes?

In general, a high-pitched, reedy roughness in the voice is considered characteristic of advanced age. There may also be a loss of projection and resonance, most evident when a person tries to be heard over background noise or from one room to another in a house.

What do age-related vocal fold changes look like?

Under normal circumstances, the edge of the vocal fold stretches in a straight line between its attachments to cartilage in the front and back of the larynx. Atrophy of the vocal fold muscle and thinning of the superficial vibratory tissues generally causes the edge to take on a scalloped appearance.

Date: November 6, 2011 21:39

mtaylor
If you want Mick to be a Church Choir singer / tenor singer etc. - then you shouldn't listen to Mick. Mick is not a "polished / clean" singer - he is a rock / blues singer.

Listen to Stripped and you will find "excellent Mick singing". he also had excellent moments during the BB Tour and Licks tour (listen to DVD from Paris).

The larynx and vocal folds age along with the rest of the body. Aging affects two main aspects of vocal fold anatomy and function. First of all, the muscle of the vocal fold loses bulk (a process called “atrophy”), much like muscle elsewhere in the body. Second, the flexible tissues which are responsible for vocal fold vibration during voicing (known as the superficial lamina propria; click here for more information) become thinner, stiffer and less pliable. Together, these changes sometimes result in a voice which is perceived as sounding “old.”

Changes related to age vary a great deal from person to person, both in severity and time of onset. Some individuals may retain a resonant, normal-sounding voice deep into their 80s, whereas others begin to sound “old” as early as their 50s. We do not know what accounts for this variation. It is possible that some of it is genetically determined, and accounts for patterns of vocal aging that run in families.

Age-related voice change is one of the most intriguing topics in voice medicine, and a lot of research must still be performed before this phenomenon is fully understood. The reader should keep in mind that much of what follows remains a topic of active discussion and debate among physicians in this field.

In general, a high-pitched, reedy roughness in the voice is considered characteristic of advanced age. There may also be a loss of projection and resonance, most evident when a person tries to be heard over background noise or from one room to another in a house.

Under normal circumstances, the edge of the vocal fold stretches in a straight line between its attachments to cartilage in the front and back of the larynx. Atrophy of the vocal fold muscle and thinning of the superficial vibratory tissues generally causes the edge to take on a scalloped appearance.

fascinating. so, what makes him sing like such a moron now?

Date: November 6, 2011 22:00

well IMHO the real singing starts well below the voice box and throat and is made resonant by the diaphram. Only then does it make it's way to the throat and mouth to me further manipulated. So singing is MUCH different that speaking and the voice box has little to do with it for the real masters. It's in the gut, so to speak. It takes alot to pull this off becaise the diaphram is near the soul. My guess about Mick is that his every changing new soul is being delivered but we just don't like what his soul looks like these days. Blame it on Affluenza and a soft life, if anything. peace.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 6, 2011 22:21

He ain't the weakest peace in the band...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 6, 2011 22:25

Come On
He ain't the weakest peace in the band...

high praise indeed

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: November 6, 2011 22:41

His voice has held up better than pretty much all of his contemporaries with the possible exception of Cliff Richard (who was no Mick Jagger in the first place).

If Mick's voice had deteriorated like Keith's then the band would've been finished by the late 70s.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: November 6, 2011 22:41

His voice has gone down in pitch, but not in quality. The only exception is falsetto. I get the impression that he can't really do that properly anymore.

Date: November 6, 2011 22:54

Sleepy City
His voice has held up better than pretty much all of his contemporaries with the possible exception of Cliff Richard (who was no Mick Jagger in the first place).

eric burdon, van morrison, paul jones (ex-manfred)...and more....

Date: November 6, 2011 23:08

StonesTod
Sleepy City

Have you heard Eric Burdon lately? He's just a shadow of his former self, & certainly can't hit the same notes any more (he couldn't even on the early 80s Animals reunion).

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: November 6, 2011 23:15

At the ABB-tour he did´nt sing - he tryed to speak very loud - and he failed.
ABB - R.I.P.!!

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: November 6, 2011 23:19

If anyone here doesn't get impressed by Micks singing nowadays I just don't get it. The Gimmie shelter version with U2, the tribute to Solomon Burke, and of course his singing on the last tours. I thinks he gets better and better. Of course he's changed, it's been 40 years sinc Exile and Sticky, but man, he's got power and energy that a 20 year old should envy him!

Date: November 7, 2011 00:00

Check out John Fogerty these days, he'll impress you!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 7, 2011 00:00

Sleepy City
StonesTod
Sleepy City

Have you heard Eric Burdon lately? He's just a shadow of his former self, & certainly can't hit the same notes any more (he couldn't even on the early 80s Animals reunion).

yer outta yer mind

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: November 7, 2011 00:03

StonesTod
mtaylor

fascinating. so, what makes him sing like such a moron now?

It's the scallops. Although usually they aren't real scallops but other fish, usually scooped out with an ice cream scooper into dollops.

Date: November 7, 2011 00:07

StonesTodd - I saw Eric Burdon 11 years ago at Bluesfest. He was AMAZING!!!

As for Mick these days, he's still Mick to me. I never did take him that seriously as a vocalist, to be a Mick Jagger fan requires a sense of humor. Therefore I don't mind the unintenionally comical stuff he does these days as much as a lot of people here.

I understand how it would bother older fans who remember first-hand what it was like to hear new AMAZING albums and see them at their peak. THey've had them at their best. Gen-X and younger is not so lucky. So, he can still have fun and giggle at the geezers - all with love of course. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 00:09 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: November 7, 2011 00:08

jamesfdouglas
Check out John Fogerty these days, he'll impress you!

He didn't even impress me 40-odd years ago.

Date: November 7, 2011 00:14

burdon sings better these days than he did in his youth...i will not tolerate dissent on this point

Date: November 7, 2011 00:20

Check out an old black panhandler named Ted Hawkins, especially his version of CCR's "Long as I can See the Light" Discovered on Venice Beach in LA singing for wine money. Played a beat up old guitar with gloves on, with the fingers cut out (I guess that's a good trick when you live outside). He was in his 70's and his voice was superb. I saw him do a show in the early 90's in Santa Cruz, CA it was amazing. He croaked a few days later. RIP Ted.

Tony Bennett put it out there for the Bridge School a coupla weeks ago, what's he 85 or 86? I have to admit Neil Young doesn't quite have the vocal chops of his younger years. I once begged him to play "for the turnstiles" a few years back and he confided that there was no way in hell he would be able to pull it off. lol peace.

Date: November 7, 2011 00:21

I judge it judgingly.

Date: November 7, 2011 00:38

Dirty Work is easily Mick's worst vocal performance for an album.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: November 7, 2011 00:42

He's one of the finest vocalist ever in my book. Not a good straight up singer but he sure can deliver a song in any era, except live 81/82 I don't really care for. I'm still quite fascinated with his voice and how naturally he can move it around in a song. Honestly, I have no idea what people are talking about when his voice gets criticized on here. I try not to read those threads, cause they piss me off, but I took the bait on this one. I wish I could sing like he does now. I really feel his voice has change less than almost any famous vocalist over the years. Think Dylan, Robert Plant, Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Rod Stewart...

[www.non-filters.com]

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home