Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones and downloading music
Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: October 28, 2011 19:25

What's the attitude? Any official statement by Mick, Keith or so regarding downloading bootlegs etc? Do you people know any relevant interviews whatsoever?

Re: The Stones and downloading music
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 28, 2011 19:32

static in the attic boot has a clip of mick saying he likes bootlegs. doesn't mention his faves, though.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 28, 2011 19:58

>> static in the attic boot has a clip of mick saying he likes bootlegs <<

isn't that about vinyl bootlegs, though? that was a way different thing than downloading.
i read (or heard?) an interview with Mick in the last five years or so where he indicated
that he sees downloading as a problem that needs dealing with
and he's curious what approach will turn out to be viable - or something like that

Date: October 28, 2011 20:05

ok. well, i presume he doesn't mind me downloading my vinyl bootlegs, then.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 20:05

Mick and Keith both seem philosophical about it. Mick has praised aspects of music on the internet (he likes being able to easily track down obscure stuff). In an old mid-80's interview—obviously before the Internet—Keith said he "steals music all the time" by copying stuff onto cassettes (paraprhase) "If it meant my children were starving, then I might be upset about bootlegs, but I"m living well even with bootlegging." (I heard this old Keith interview at Wolfgang's Vault.)

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 28, 2011 20:07

My how things change. Back in those days, musicians could actually make a living selling records.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: October 28, 2011 20:13

If the Internet is such a scourge to "bought music" that musicians "can't make money anymore " how can headlines (from earlier this year) like below still get published?

Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way' sells 1.1 million in first week of release
from >>[music-mix.ew.com]

Date: October 28, 2011 20:18

ok, so it's out there - keith says steal all the music you want. i was already way ahead of him, but it's good to know i have his blessing.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 20:22

Keith said something like "If it's worth pirating then it means it's worth something" or something like that. Can't find the video where he says that.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 28, 2011 20:25

I think they regret Brussels'73.

Date: October 28, 2011 20:25

keith and his pirate crap...

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: October 28, 2011 20:31

Mick has said that if the internet existed when he was a teenager he probably would have downloaded music for free.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: October 29, 2011 03:27

There was also a video about Paul McCartney talking about this very same thing but it can't be found on youtube. Mmmm....there's a pattern here.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 29, 2011 04:35

I found the tape that was floating around a few years ago of Mick in a NYC bootleg shop really amusing. He ended up buying some as I remember.

I think we should not download the SG set, we should support the poor boys and support releasing CD's so they release more LOL

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 29, 2011 05:32

Kirk
What's the attitude? Any official statement by Mick, Keith or so regarding downloading bootlegs etc? Do you people know any relevant interviews whatsoever?

They dont give a f**k.

Their lawyers' attitude to copyright infringement is another thing entirely, though.

Date: October 29, 2011 05:39

I do recall a magazine writer saying he was in a New York record store in the 70's and was pulling a Stones bootleg from a bin, when someone tapped his shoulder. He turned around and it was Keith Richards. Keith shook his head. And the writer wrote, "So I put the bootleg back."

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: October 29, 2011 11:19

I got 50 years of Rolling Stones recently, it would be a shame if all this history disappeared. Just so interesting to hear such unedited enthusiasm. Boots are like old books in the library. Not everybody is interested - just the collector. Micks made a ton of $$$ from me Lps, singles, Eps, cassettes, CDs, Video, DVD, Bluray. Maybe when the model is pay full price once, then every new format is minimal fee I will sign on again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home