Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tattoo You image
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: October 27, 2011 06:47

Anyone know anything about the significance / story behind this image?

Re: Tattoo You image
Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: October 27, 2011 06:57

dunno, but a bunch of us used to call the record "goat's foot shoe" because of it.

also remember people being kind of freaked out by how the goat's face or eyes
or something made it look a little bit human, so the high-heeled goat's foot
kinda emphasized that. maybe. if you were sufficiently stoned. and happened
to have both albums there to stare at.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-27 07:03 by nocomment.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 27, 2011 07:05

Pumps are okay, but I prefer an open hoof shoe.

Date: October 27, 2011 07:07

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-27 07:13 by nocomment.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 27, 2011 07:09

Now we're talkin' (LOL)

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 27, 2011 07:10

I know the image more for the 45 rpm single START ME UP picture sleeve. I've thought it refers to the "animal lust" or "animal magnetism" suggested in the START ME UP lyrics.

Date: October 27, 2011 07:14

Title5Take1
I know the image more for the 45 rpm single START ME UP picture sleeve. I've thought it refers to the "animal lust" or "animal magnetism" suggested in the START ME UP lyrics.
it does imply the female equivalent of a satyr. a sexually aggressive woman.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 27, 2011 07:17

uhbuhgullayew
Anyone know anything about the significance / story behind this image?

A reminder to give your goat a nice high heel, before you cut off its head and make soup.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 27, 2011 07:24

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 27, 2011 10:06

nocomment
Title5Take1

It's the devil's foot.

Mathijs

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 27, 2011 10:11

.............. Best dressed horse me and pa ever saw......

ROCKMAN

Date: October 27, 2011 10:49

Mathijs
nocomment
Title5Take1

It's the devil's foot.

Mathijs

A satyr is a mythical goat-legged otherwise-human-looking being known for their
raging libido. The female form of such is known from Roman times. A goat leg is
shaped in sort of the same way as a fcuk-me pump except for the heel, so the
visual is obvious enough to have been used by at least two different artists,
shown above. This satyress-imagery is all perfectly in keeping with the theme of
Start Me Up, wherein the singer sings of his dependency on female sexual
initiative to get him going...

Okay, now cite your references for the devil thing.

Date: October 27, 2011 12:27

nocomment
Mathijs
nocomment
Title5Take1

It's the devil's foot.

Mathijs

A satyr is a mythical goat-legged otherwise-human-looking being known for their
raging libido. The female form of such is known from Roman times. A goat leg is
shaped in sort of the same way as a fcuk-me pump except for the heel, so the
visual is obvious enough to have been used by at least two different artists,
shown above. This satyress-imagery is all perfectly in keeping with the theme of
Start Me Up, wherein the singer sings of his dependency on female sexual
initiative to get him going...

Okay, now cite your references for the devil thing.

Now it's been some time I gratuated from high school, but in Greek mythology wheren't satyr's male companions of the god Pan? And that only in Roman mythology they had ram's horns and feet?

Anyways...the cloven hoof is a sign of the devil.

The cloven hoof is also traditionally associated with the Devil. In works from Shakespeare and Sir Thomas Browne the association is very close and the devil takes pains to hide or disguise the hoof.[12][13] In other works the Devil and the cloven hoof can be separated, some believe the cloven hoof more mischievous than the devil.[14] But not every cloven hoof is the devil's minion. [15] In Teutonic Mythology the devil has a non-cloven hoof that is solid like that of a horse,[16] from which he can not be separated.[17]

According to a folk legend, in 1165, the Devil rode like a great black horse before a storm in Yorkshire. The marks of his feet were visible in several places, particularly on the cliff at Scarborough, where he sprang into the sea. In the late 1800s, marks were discovered in various parts the South of England that could not be identified as any known beast or bird. People did not like to say it was the Devil, but no other explanation was offered. Perhaps this extraordinary presence may have been nothing more than cloven hoofs, which in the deep snows of winter are said to haunt the Dewerstone a rocky elevation on the borders of Dartmoor—but this latter phenomenon is reported to be accompanied by a naked human foot. A case occurred in Devonshire and are many cases are collected in "Lancashire Folk Lore" 1867. [18]

Bladiebla.

Mathijs

Date: October 27, 2011 12:36

Mathijs
Now it's been some time I gratuated from high school, but in Greek mythology wheren't satyr's male companions of the god Pan? And that only in Roman mythology they had ram's horns and feet?

Anyways...the cloven hoof is a sign of the devil.

already addressed the female satyr thing in the post above.

there is no question that a hoof is ALSO a devil image but that's not the issue.
the question is why on the cover of start me up, which the "satyress" thing does
answer.

unless of course you want to extend "devil" into "devil in a blue dress"
territory, which of course would make it the same as a satyress.

and of course elements of pan/satyr imagery did indeed find their way into
early images of the devil, so that's a connection too.

so anyway if you wanna make it like "devil in a blue dress" and not "THE devil"
then we're in agreement.

Date: October 27, 2011 12:38

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: October 27, 2011 18:42

It's a reference to "Goat Head's Soup Album'. Some outtakes from that era 72/73 were released at TY

Date: October 27, 2011 19:25

Before this goes any further, I think it might be best if nocomment and Mathijs both disclosed their prior academic histories detailing schools attended, grade point averages, and (if applicable) degrees earned. We can't be expected to let a simple debate resolve whether it's a satyr or a devil, particularly when I've always thought it was a reference to Nicaraguan women having hairy feet.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 27, 2011 22:55

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: October 27, 2011 23:02

I don't think Keith came up with that idea.

Date: October 28, 2011 15:38

nocomment

so anyway if you wanna make it like "devil in a blue dress" and not "THE devil"
then we're in agreement.

No, I didn't mean the devil, but indeed a reference to women being devils in disguise, something like that.

Mathijs

Date: October 28, 2011 15:41

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Before this goes any further, I think it might be best if nocomment and Mathijs both disclosed their prior academic histories detailing schools attended, grade point averages, and (if applicable) degrees earned. We can't be expected to let a simple debate resolve whether it's a satyr or a devil, particularly when I've always thought it was a reference to Nicaraguan women having hairy feet.

My background on Greek and Latin is week, I dropped both after a year in highschool. I continued with physics and chemistry, which I studied at a university in The Netherlands and a university in Wales. I do have a much better knowledge of Nicaraguan women though.

Mathijs

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 28, 2011 15:48

Errrrr, I think it's a deer/dear foot.

Date: October 28, 2011 18:22

Mathijs
No, I didn't mean the devil, but indeed a reference to women being devils in disguise, something like that.
Mathijs

when NoComment and Mathijs, two of the most incompatible stones fans in history,
can somehow wind up on the same page, there is yet hope for us all.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: October 28, 2011 18:31

Maybe it's just a freaky looking image that startles/amuses the viewer...something submitted by an artist that was approved by the Stones for the same reason-they thought it freaky/amusing/funny. Sometimes we may have a tendency to read too much into things like this. The flip side of the album insert is just a bunch of wavy lines, something of an optical illusion. Was this chosen for some significant reason? Was THAT image also 'chosen' or were they running out of time before the album covers went to press so they just inserted a basic 'design'- something other than a blank insert to look at?

What else could they have used for the single sleeve? The front of the LP cover which only shows Mick? The back, which only shows Keith? Or a neutral, bizarre, attention grabbing image like this? Or, it may simply be that someone in the marketing department suggested it, the Stones went along with it and the sleeves were printed.

Bear in mind that the Stones did not go into a studio to record an album called "Tattoo You"-this record was patched together by Chris Kimsey from tapes that went back as far as 9 years. The purpose was to create some 'product' to market in conjunction with an upcoming, money-making tour. The result was a great album-I wonder what Bill, Charlie and Ronnie thought about not being depicted at all on the LP?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1158
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home