Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)
Posted by: René ()
Date: October 10, 2011 11:11

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll (But I Like It)
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

The Wick, London, Richmond, Surrey, UK, December 4 - 6, 1973,
Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, March 1974,
Rolling Stones Mobile Recording Unit, Stargroves, Newbury, UK,
April 10 - 15, 1974 and Island Recording Studios, London, UK, May 20 - 25, 1974

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, backing vocals
Ron Wood - acoustic guitar
Ian Stewart - piano
Willie Weeks - bass
Kenny Jones - drums

If I could stick my pen in my heart, I would spill it all over the stage
Would it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya
Would you think the boy is strange, ain't he strange?
If I could win ya, if I could sing ya a love song so divine
Would it be enough for your cheating heart, if I broke down and cried, if I cried?
I said: I know, it's only rock 'n roll, but I like it
I know, it's only rock' n roll, but I like it, like it, yes, I do
Well, I like it, I like it, I like it
I said: Can't you see that this old boy has been a lonely?
If I could stick a knife in my heart, suicide right on stage
Would it be enough for your teenage lust
Would it help to ease the pain, ease your brain?
If I could dig down deep in my heart, feelings would flood on the page
Would it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya
Would ya think the boy's insane, he's insane
I said: I know, it's only rock 'n roll, but I like it, like it, yes, I do
Well, I like it, yeah, I like it, I like it
I said: Can't you see that this old boy has been a lonely?
And do ya think that you're the only girl around?
I bet you think that you're the only woman in town, oh yeah

I know, it's only rock 'n roll, but I like it, oh yeah
I know, it's only rock 'n roll, but I like it, like it, yes, I do
Well, I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it
It's only rock 'n roll, but I like it…

Produced by The Glimmer Twins

First released on: The Rolling Stones -
“It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll / Through The Lonely Nights” 7” single
(Rolling Stones Records RS 19114) UK, July 26, 1974

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 14:20 by René.

Re: Track Talk: It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 10, 2011 11:15

The Faces meet The Rolling Stones.
As a kid I laughed my a** off at the official video, where Charlie was almost choking in bubbles.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 10, 2011 12:14

David Bowie is also on backing vocals (although mixed quite low)

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 10, 2011 12:24

Marvellous guitar work................. is'nt MT playing on it???
Anyway, wonderful multi-guitar-track work

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 10, 2011 12:28

...And the lyrics are Great!!!

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: October 10, 2011 12:56

I don't like it that much. Together with "Star Star" it's one of the first Stones-by-numbers tracks, an early sign of going through the motions. It's still fun, though. And I like the live version from Love You Live. There are even some strong renditions to be found among the shows from the Vegas era.

What's interesting to me about this track is that it seems to be influenced by Glam rock - especially Slade spring to mind. I could easily imagine Noddy Holder belting out the Refrain. Slade were huge at the time so it's quite possible Mick discovered the Glam route on purpose here, just as he did with certain Punk leanings in '78.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 13:11 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 10, 2011 13:12

terraplane
David Bowie is also on backing vocals (although mixed quite low)

I never knew that.

Weak track for me.
Written for Top 40 radio, IMO.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 10, 2011 13:14

Not musically outstanding, but a statement nontheless and I believe it was essentially a Ronnie Wood song. I love the Love you Live version. Homage to Chuck Berry really.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 10, 2011 13:19

I agree that it's a bit by-the-numbers but still fun. I used to LOVE IORR, but as the years and decades have passed it has begun to wear on me. It certainly has a nice guitar sound and is very catchy, but it's ultimately a bit inert and repetitive. I remember being fascinated by all the different ways that Jagger would say/sing "I like it" -- especially how it sounds like he's saying it while smoking a joint.

Occasionally I'll be in the mood and will recapture the joy of IORR, but it ain't in regular rotation on my playlist. Maybe it would be more interesting if Charlie and Bill were on it.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 13:21 by drewmaster.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: October 10, 2011 13:52

Pete Townshend is on backing vocals as well I recall. It was recorded during some crazy nights in Ronnies house The Wick with a lot of famous musicians. Never cared for it that much, great title and intro riff though!

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: October 10, 2011 14:09

I find that intro riff to be quite conventional, honestly. It's just the old Johnny B. Goode routine. Or did you mean the SOUND of it? It surely sounds good. But it's hardly original, just like the whole song - except maybe for the lyric.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 16:28 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 10, 2011 14:42

One of those songs I find very difficult to know what I really think of it. Do I really like it, or not?

There is so much good in it. The key line is simply genious - of every boring and cliche-like song where the term rock and roll is mentioned in the title or chorus line (a bad idea an sich), it is simply the most cleverest one. A spot on. And I don't think anyone else than The Stones would have balls or brains enough to state it. It defines them, their self-reflection, their status, their art, "It's Only Rock'n'Roll But I like it". Being so self-awere of the nature of the game, of the certain limits of the art form (think of those bloody progressive rock or fusion jazz rock players of the day), of it significance, etc. But then stating the very "liking" point - there's no one who can say anything about it - it is just the relation of the music to its consumer/creator, and that's THE point. The whole point of rock and roll - nothing less, nothing more. With this statement the band was very much already ready when the punk movement happened - not thinking anything too self-serious or important of themselves. The "like it" claim was a middle finger statement, if anything, to anyone.

All in all, I like the lyrics of the song. It is Jagger in very self-reflective mood, and showing signs of maturity, of even the danger of getting old - that was the tendency that very much continued in BLACK&BLUE to be vanished in SOME GIRLS. I also like very much the way Mick sings them, especially the repetation of "I Like it" in the end of it. Only he can.

Unfortunately, I find the song not working very well altogether. It is quite a mess musically; there is not anything wrong in that generally (think of EXILE) but it just doesn't work here. I find Keith's guitars too archaic, too pointing out simple and rough. The backing track is not grooving, it is just sloppy and somehow lazy. Maybe the whole sructure of the song is a bit too simple, too chuck berry-like, and the band simply is way too tired of repeating that kind of form, or being actually inspired of it (the mentioning of "Star Star" above is a good one; the same trouble is to be heard there). Something musically distinctive lacks there to make a big number. It is just the lyrical idea that makes it a classic song (and not to forget its repitive playing of it in the concerts - a bit like later with "You Got Me Rocking").

I can agree with MIck Taylor who claimed at the time that with "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" Mick and Keith tried to make another classical Stones song,a'la "Honky Tonk Women", but failed big time. They just didn't have enough inspiration to real come up with something novel and ear-capturing (maybe the glam-rock influence is also there but seemingly they couldn't really made the genre to work for them this time). If my memory serves me right, it was the worst doing leading single of the album of the seventies, so it wasn't any big hit in Stones terms at all in its heyday.

One way to put it is that the song somehow symbols for me the damage Keith's dopeville years did to his creativity. Be it Ronnie's song who cares - a competent, creative Keith would have taken the song, given it a genious musical push and form that would have lifted to new heights. But he couldn't. Now it just sounds like Jagger is there full cylinders working and trying his best, but Keith's substance is lacking.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 14:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 10, 2011 14:48

The title says it all.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 10, 2011 14:53

FreeBird
The title says it all.

thumbs up

Date: October 10, 2011 15:02

A sloppy song with an anthemic chorus.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 10, 2011 15:14

Love the guitars & Mick's singing -- and Charlie is great too!

Date: October 10, 2011 15:15

LeonidP

You mean Kenney Jones. Charlie is not playing on IORR.

Date: October 10, 2011 15:21

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP

Nice! Love the drums nonetheless, thanks for the info. I forgot they always had others join on the sessions back then.

Date: October 10, 2011 15:24

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP

Nice! Love the drums nonetheless, thanks for the info. I forgot they always had others join on the sessions back then.

Not always, but while Ronnie was creating this song (intended for his solo album), he had Kenney Jones from the Faces on drums and Willy Weeks on bass. Then Mick and Keith took over...

David Bowie was supposedly on back up-vocals as well.

Date: October 10, 2011 15:29

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP

Not always, but while Ronnie was creating this song (intended for his solo album), he had Kenney Jones from the Faces on drums and Willy Weeks on bass. Then Mick and Keith took over...

In Keith's book, he said that Mick & Bowie were doing this song, for a Bowie album, I thought ... and that after he heard it, he convinced Mick to keep it for the Stones. I'll have to try & find the passage.

Date: October 10, 2011 15:30

I have always loved this song, especially as its release coincided with my interest in the Stones - which has remained through these nearly 40 years or so..... I have never enjoyed it live, it is the studio sound of this song which I simply love

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-10 15:31 by HopeYouGuessMyName.

Date: October 10, 2011 15:31

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP

In Keith's book, he said that Mick & Bowie were doing this song, for a Bowie album, I thought ... and that after he heard it, he convinced Mick to keep it for the Stones. I'll have to try & find the passage.

Yeah, I read that too.

Still, it's not a well-kept secret that Mick traded I Can Feel The Fire for IORR.

Date: October 10, 2011 15:32

HopeYouGuessMyName
..... I have never enjoyed it live, it is the studio sound of this song which I simply love

Agreed, they never did it very well live

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 10, 2011 15:51

During my teens in the 90s, MTV's Greatest Hits kept airing this over and over again and I could not understand its appeal at all. I mean, it's a boring shuffle. Sure, it's not as awful as "Streets Of Love", but what is? Only "The Worst" can be "The Worst" ;-)

IORR? No, thank you. Sorry bv.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 10, 2011 16:06

DandelionPowderMan
while Ronnie was creating this song (intended for his solo album), he had Kenney Jones from the Faces on drums and Willy Weeks on bass. Then Mick and Keith took over...

As I understood, Keith overdubbed all Ronnies guitar parts later. I doubt if Keith was present
at the session. Neither was Willie Weeks, who added his bass part later at Stargroves.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: October 10, 2011 16:11

The Stones are at their freakishly best. Sorry to the haters but the rhythm guitar/bass/drum work & mixing is outstanding. That pulse that the Stones are famous for.

Even if they didn't play on it! smiling smiley I love this song's lyrical content.It's something all people will say to thier significant others at one time or another during thier relationships...am I right married men??

MJ showing his true self at the time...."leave me alone,woman! I'm getting rich, I am the most famous rock star in the world, etc, etc..STOP BREAKING MY BALLS!"

Unfortunately, with the exception on Some Girls....it all seemed to go down hill from there.

Date: October 10, 2011 16:21

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderMan
while Ronnie was creating this song (intended for his solo album), he had Kenney Jones from the Faces on drums and Willy Weeks on bass. Then Mick and Keith took over...

As I understood, Keith overdubbed all Ronnies guitar parts later. I doubt if Keith was present
at the session. Neither was Willie Weeks, who added his bass part later at Stargroves.

Not all of Ronnie's parts. The acoustic is still there.

Date: October 10, 2011 16:21

LeonidP
HopeYouGuessMyName
..... I have never enjoyed it live, it is the studio sound of this song which I simply love

Agreed, they never did it very well live

Love You Live?

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 10, 2011 16:23

What kind of Gibson guitar is Keith playing in the promo video?

Date: October 10, 2011 16:25

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2274
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home