Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
More Stones Rarities Releases Coming?
Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 12, 2011 17:45

We got the Exile Rarities and next is the Some Girls Rarities.

Think there will be more? There's still Goats Head Soup - even with finished tracks!, Black And Blue, Emotional Rescue and I really doubt anything would ever come from the Dirty Work sessions.

What else? The covers done for what became IORR? Anything worthwhile from Undercover? Of course Voodoo Lounge had a lot of leftovers.

What about the sessions between Exile and GHS with Potted Shrimp and whatever else. Or were those finished or worked on more during the GHS sessions?

Re: More Stones Rarities Releases Coming?
Date: September 12, 2011 18:18

I think the contract with UMG expires in 2013. I believe there were supposed to be three releases. EXILE, SOME GIRLS, and the last is rumored to be a disc of Don Was-era outtakes packaged with a new single disc greatest hits for the anniversary. If Mick's recent interview means anything, he did suggest the anniversary could just as easily be observed in 2013 as 2012. That would make sense with SOME GIRLS DELUXE not seeing release until next year.

Date: September 12, 2011 19:02

Oh boy another hits album. How exciting! eye rolling smiley

So one more outtakes album and that's it.

Well it's better than none I guess.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 12, 2011 19:12

But, if those releases are relative successes, why would they stop? It's too bad we've already moved beyond the CD boxset. That would have been a great way to gather and sell outtakes, rarities, etc.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 12, 2011 19:21

I'm very sorry, but I don't get excited over these releases anymore. I would have been in the nineties but not now. Of course it's better than nothing but that's about it.

Date: September 12, 2011 19:42

I always thought the Stones would have done a b-sides, remixes and outtakes box set. They've done (or allowed) a box set of their 1971-2005 singles as well as albums for who I'm not sure, I guess serious serious collectors. But that's just a rip off.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 12, 2011 20:00

I vote for GHS. Some actual "rarities" are available, as oppose to half-finished tracks which would require new vocals.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 20:03

A DW deluxe w/rarities would be an interesting, and worthwhile choice. Can't imagine much of a market for it though.

Date: September 12, 2011 23:43

big4
A DW deluxe w/rarities would be an interesting, and worthwhile choice. Can't imagine much of a market for it though.

I agree with your second sentence.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 13, 2011 00:20

71Tele
I vote for GHS. Some actual "rarities" are available, as oppose to half-finished tracks which would require new vocals.[/quote

yeah and maybe a 73 dvd of a complete show would be grat

Date: September 13, 2011 00:29

According to Mick the Some Girls Rarities (or whatever it's going to be called) is coming out around Thanksgiving, or perhaps better stated, the end of November of 2011.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 13, 2011 01:14

That Spinner interview is from some weeks ago. I think it was carlostones10 who said a few days ago that per UMG in Brazil, the Some Girls deluxe won't be out until the new year.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 13, 2011 01:28

I don't think they do another album rework + bonus after Some girls.
More likely another Big hits for the 50th birthday date or something like those Don Was outtakes project.

Personally I would like a GHS/rarities CD + 73 live CD/DVD.
As I've posted once before I've been on parts of that tour as kinda helping hand and they brought along the Mobile for quite a few gigs.I remember a lot of hassle in Essen and that alone have been 3 gigs.They must have recorded more than 10 shows for shure.There still should be some nice stuff somewhere . .

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 13, 2011 02:04

What's really called for is something along the lines of 25X5 for the 50th. They've had another 25 years to dig up footage. Of course the last 25 are nowhere near as rich as the first 25.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 14, 2011 04:46

ABKCO certainly has some stuff that would have a market and would be well worth getting in official release quality!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 14, 2011 18:00

I think the greatest bunch of highest quality outtakes in the Voodoo sessions. There are wonderful new tracks on Voodoo Stew, Brew, Residue and More. And the alternate versions are often better than the official ones. These sessions are vaults of treasures for us.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 15, 2011 03:00

RobertJohnson
I think the greatest bunch of highest quality outtakes in the Voodoo sessions. There are wonderful new tracks on Voodoo Stew, Brew, Residue and More. And the alternate versions are often better than the official ones. These sessions are vaults of treasures for us.

That's right. But would they be of much interest for a bigger, general clientele?
I doubt it. There are only a few records you can sell to the media again . .

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 15, 2011 03:19

Being a 81/82 "nerd" a funked up Hampton-DVD (with 5.1 and all the other technical improvements available today) would be on my wishlist. Add a complete "Still Life" with all the songs missing on the original 1-LP and some "Tattoo You" leftovers (if there were any...). And add a nice booklet and some "Tattoo You" graphics material on that and I will actually buy the lot!

Date: September 15, 2011 05:28

My top requests from the Vaults are only two:

1. 1973 Live

2. BBC sessions with "Cops & Robbers", etc.

People need to hear how great this band truly was.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 15, 2011 05:56

Stoneage
Being a 81/82 "nerd" a funked up Hampton-DVD (with 5.1 and all the other technical improvements available today) would be on my wishlist. Add a complete "Still Life" with all the songs missing on the original 1-LP and some "Tattoo You" leftovers (if there were any...). And add a nice booklet and some "Tattoo You" graphics material on that and I will actually buy the lot!

Tattoo You Two, would be the way to do it, that way being able to go all the way back to '73 as they did the first time, and therefore not have to rerelease GHS superdeluxe which I would not buy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 15, 2011 09:27

71Tele

1. 1973 Live

For many 73 is the pinnacle live...I'd also like the BBC releases.
It has to come at some point

Posted by: iggy.pop ()
Date: September 15, 2011 11:51

Stoneage
I don't think there will be an official release of Hampton '81 : There is Let's Spend The Night Together already out, so, i don't think they want another one from the same tour

71Tele

1. 1973 Live

BBC Sessions : depends on ABKCO AND the BBC. I'm not sure that the Stones have a say. Maybe one day.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: September 15, 2011 11:54

How about a deluxe Sticky Fingers with Live at the Marquee DVD

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 15, 2011 12:53

If I were to guess, I'd say the unreleased (Rolling Stones Records) 1972 live album would see the light of day - maybe already next year, since It would mark its 40th anniversary. Also, as pointed out before there is plenty of good stuff in the valuts. If Jagger didn't intend to release more outtakes than what we've seen, he wouldn't have bothered to choose songs from the same year/period as Exile/ Some Girls. When it comes to live material I'd say theres still posibilitys for a full show 1969 DVD. There are sounboard recordings from '71 and '73 that would probably blow any Stones mind...

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 15, 2011 16:05

S.T.P
If I were to guess, I'd say the unreleased (Rolling Stones Records) 1972 live album would see the light of day - maybe already next year, since It would mark its 40th anniversary. Also, as pointed out before there is plenty of good stuff in the valuts. If Jagger didn't intend to release more outtakes than what we've seen, he wouldn't have bothered to choose songs from the same year/period as Exile/ Some Girls. When it comes to live material I'd say theres still posibilitys for a full show 1969 DVD. There are sounboard recordings from '71 and '73 that would probably blow any Stones mind...

You would've thought maybe that would've came out at the same time as L&G.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 15, 2011 18:21

kovach
You would've thought maybe that would've came out at the same time as L&G.

-I'm just guessing/dreamingsmoking smiley Still, I think it deserves its own release regardless of any deluxe edition.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 15, 2011 18:49

24FPS
What's really called for is something along the lines of 25X5 for the 50th. They've had another 25 years to dig up footage. Of course the last 25 are nowhere near as rich as the first 25.

Well, theoretically yes, but if we look what the band has actually done within the last 25 years there is not much to tell. I mean already in 25x5 they got themselves to the modern (post 89) nostalgy era with huge stadium tours and fixed set lists. There is no story to tell any longer. Tt's the same old song, the same old receipt ever since (plus the band getting worse, say, tour by tour). And those tours are covered quite effectively by now. Besides there is not any new Rolling Stones hit or even a song to have born ever since to capture the times or be something like 'different' or somehow 'significant', to add something to their catalog or 'story'. Just like with Keith's LIFE. Since the 80's the story simply dies, and not many pages is needed to cover the last 20 years.

About the original topic. I don't think there will be another album-based rarities release to come. EXILE and SOME GIRLS are the only real classic albums from the Rolling Stones records-era (that is, they have a distinguished and widely recognized role in the Rolling Stones story). STICKY FINGERS could be but I think they covered the era from 1969 to 1972 quite exhaustively with EXILE release. The concept of TATTOO YOU doesn't really offer much to deluxe-versions, since it was already a vaults-release in the first place. I suppose the SOME GIRLS Deluxe will cover the whole Pathe Marconi -era (1977-198?) as 'accurately' as EXILE did of its so called era (the jam song came from 1967?). Since legendaric LET IT BLEED and BEGGARS BANGUET or even AFTERMATH are out of their reach, what they can do? No matter how much we fans love, say, GOATS HEAD SOUP, or BLACK&BLUE, etc. they don't have the iconical status within the Stones catalog to make big headlines and stories.

Like someone suggested, I think the third relaese will something like a Don Was era rarities album (not specifically related to any album), maybe added with some new songs in it. Maybe even some older vaults-rarities included. And that's it.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-15 18:51 by Doxa.

Date: September 15, 2011 19:01

Yeah, they could fill up an entire disc about how many stages and trucks and people they have toting all that around the world for each tour from 1989 to 2007.

Oh never mind, they did that on Four Flicks, which was quite entertaining.

Oh now I remember why The Biggest Bang was such a bore - they did the whole 'look at what it takes for us' AGAIN!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 15, 2011 19:07

...About the "Don Was era rarities album", in your opinion what could be the format:
1)Unknow Outtakes '93/'05 with the add of Mick only new vocals;
2)simply Outtakes "B-Sides" of various CD singles like "The storm","Anyway you look it" etc.without the add of new vocals;
3)Unknow Outtakes with the re-work of all the band like the "Tattoo" sessions.

I hope that it will be the third option!!!

Date: September 15, 2011 19:37

Some of those Voodoo leftovers were pretty good. It's Funny I thought was brilliant. You Got It Made is 'classic' too. There's a few they didn't either finish or release from those sessions that are, to me, better than half of what is on the album.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home