Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: May 14, 2014 07:14

treaclefingers
gipsy12
My break is over... bought a 68 Beggars Banquet mono - a very nice copy

An ebay purchase? Would it be gauche to ask what you paid?

No problem, it's the most expensive peace I ever bought for 306 Euro - I receive regularly a newsletter from eil.com, found it there and finally bought it via amazon.de. I only have a small vinyl collection, I startet only a few years ago to collect the sixties mono lp's. After this one no more peaces for this year!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 14, 2014 16:37

gipsy12
treaclefingers
gipsy12
My break is over... bought a 68 Beggars Banquet mono - a very nice copy

An ebay purchase? Would it be gauche to ask what you paid?

No problem, it's the most expensive peace I ever bought for 306 Euro - I receive regularly a newsletter from eil.com, found it there and finally bought it via amazon.de. I only have a small vinyl collection, I startet only a few years ago to collect the sixties mono lp's. After this one no more peaces for this year!

Wow, pricey indeed! I've found that few 'investments' that I've made have done as well as some of the Rolling Stones vinyl I've collected.

Not that we're doing it for that purpose necessarily, but nice nonetheless!

Enjoy it!

Date: June 22, 2014 04:31

OK, back to this one, Rolling Stones 1964-69 Vinyl box set from 2010.

Look at this ebay listing, $4600 :

[www.ebay.co.uk]

There obviously not going to sell it at that price, but it's going for $1700 on amazon.com and $2000 on amazon.ca. I don't think you can get it on amazon.co.uk.

Did anyone else buy this when it first came out?

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: June 23, 2014 00:59

But the ebay one is number 25 !!!! that's part of the price.
...and yes: I bought this box set (and the 2nd part) the day of release.

(http://stonescave.ning.com/)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-23 01:03 by Ricky.

Date: June 23, 2014 02:35

Ricky

I understand what you're saying but that still doesn't make sense to me. What is number 1, $100,000?

Anyway, they won't get $4600 for the price but even still I'm amazed at how quickly this has gone to 'collector' status. I guess for once they actually 'limited' the limited edition!

PS, you said you bought the day of release...what number did you happen to get then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-23 02:36 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:11

treaclefingers
Ricky

I understand what you're saying but that still doesn't make sense to me. What is number 1, $100,000?

Anyway, they won't get $4600 for the price but even still I'm amazed at how quickly this has gone to 'collector' status. I guess for once they actually 'limited' the limited edition!

PS, you said you bought the day of release...what number did you happen to get then?

They had one for sale at the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame for $375 last month when I was there. I don't know what number it was/is.

Date: June 23, 2014 03:14

Roscoe
treaclefingers
Ricky

They had one for sale at the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame for $375 last month when I was there. I don't know what number it was/is.

Still sealed, I think you can turn around and flip that on EBAY for $800 immediately.

Date: June 23, 2014 04:15

treaclefingers
Roscoe
treaclefingers
Ricky

Still sealed, I think you can turn around and flip that on EBAY for $800 immediately.
The entry says that the box set is numbered 251, not 25.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: June 23, 2014 14:37

My sixties one is number 005847 and the second one is number 004678.
I can't understand the high prices for this box (even with number 25). I'm still looking for the MFSL one... I think is better, in a wood box, with big booklet, the 3D cover for Satanic... and I heard that great sound.

treaclefingers
Ricky

Date: June 23, 2014 16:54

Ricky
My sixties one is number 005847 and the second one is number 004678.
I can't understand the high prices for this box (even with number 25). I'm still looking for the MFSL one... I think is better, in a wood box, with big booklet, the 3D cover for Satanic... and I heard that great sound.

treaclefingers
Ricky

Two things about the newer 1964-69 box.

First, the sound is excellent, I've read better than MFSL, although I haven't heard MFSL for the 60s albums.

Second, Beggar's is remastered to correct speed, which I don't believe is the case with MFSL.

Anyway, I'm sure you can't go wrong having both, but buying either set now is pretty pricey. I saw an MFSL go for about $800 on EBAY recently, which is roughly what the 1964-69 set went for.

Of course on Amazon way over $1000 for the sixties box in sealed condition.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 11, 2014 10:58

I never came across a US copy of 'Through the Past, Darkly' pressed by Monarch Records MFG Co, LA. Can anybody here post the delta number of his copy, please?
Thanks a lot, Luca

Date: August 11, 2014 17:23

1963luca0
I never came across a US copy of 'Through the Past, Darkly' pressed by Monarch Records MFG Co, LA. Can anybody here post the delta number of his copy, please?
Thanks a lot, Luca

I have several US copies. What exactly is the 'delta number'? I presume you're referring to the number either machine printed in the dead wax zone, is that right?

I've checked two copies, both with a "Are You A Member Of The Rolling Stones Fan Club" insert, so I presume that means a fairly early pressing, and found a couple of differences.

One copy has a very deep navy blue London label, the other more of a royal blue label.

Second, the navy blue copy has the following machine number in the dead wax:
ZAL 9133 - 1B side two a different number, ZAL 91348 - 1J

On the royal blue copy, this is a bit harder to make out. First of all, the ZAL number is in the 'handwritten style', not machine pressed style. It reads ZAL 9133 - something I can't make out on side one. Side two is ZAL 9134 then something I can't make out.

I addition, there are some what looks like numbers or numbers and letters machine pressed on each side, but they are illegible to my fading eyes.

I have a second royal blue copy with the same printing and the machine pressed numbers, or whatever it is, equally illegible.

I have another copy with a black label which I presume is Canadian, although interestingly no reference to Canada anywhere...it has the NPS - 3 number engraved in the dead wax.

Let me know if those deadwax numbers are what you're referring to...I can try and get a magnifying glass to 'enhance' those other deadwax machine numbers in the royal blue label copies.

OH, and before I forget, WHY would you like to know?!

Date: August 11, 2014 21:03

I would like to because I only miss two albums pressed by Monarch Records:
Satanic stereo
Big Hits vol. 2
You can tell a Monarch album by their trademarks onto dead vinyl:
MR, triangle (aka delta), identical job number for A and B side except for an additional X added to tell the B side
I've never came across them and I'm wondering if Monarch actually pressed them.
Thanks, Luca

Date: August 11, 2014 21:42

1963luca0
I would like to because I only miss two albums pressed by Monarch Records:
Satanic stereo
Big Hits vol. 2
You can tell a Monarch album by their trademarks onto dead vinyl:
MR, triangle (aka delta), identical job number for A and B side except for an additional X added to tell the B side
I've never came across them and I'm wondering if Monarch actually pressed them.
Thanks, Luca

I have two sealed US sealed copies, sadly we'll never know if they are Monarch's.

Have you collected any of the UK 60s stuff? For instance, getting Through The Past on the red label Decca Mono is kind of cool.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 11, 2014 22:13

Through The Past, Darkly
SLK 16625-P Ex

German 12" from 1970, white edges to be cut off
by yourself to make it an octagon cover (issued to
US and GB soldiers in Germany, so the story goes...)

Anyway, here it is:

Date: August 11, 2014 22:35

TooTough
Through The Past, Darkly
SLK 16625-P Ex

Anyway, here it is:

Rather interesting...does this have the 'hole' on the back cover, to give indication of Mono or Stereo? What colour is the label?

Date: August 11, 2014 22:38

It´s a German pressing, no hole on the back.
The label is red/black (70s DECCA style here).
It´s stereo.

Date: August 12, 2014 01:10

TooTough
It´s stereo.

So would it be an original pressing, or something that was later in the 70s?

I ask because I'd thought the original release was 'octagonal only'.

I know for later pressings (I think there is a dutch one with black where yours has the white), they went with a full blue cover and only really went back to the octagonal with the release of the box set in 2010.

Anyway, if this was a 1969 release I'd say that was pretty rare!

Date: August 12, 2014 01:45

treaclefingers
TooTough
It´s stereo.

I know for later pressings (I think there is a dutch one with black where yours has the white), they went with a full blue cover and only really went back to the octagonal with the release of the box set in 2010.

It´s octagonal (if you want it). spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

popsike has it listed for 249€ in 2012.
[www.popsike.com]

It´s a Royal Sound Decca pressing used end of the 60s.
rollingtom from Sweden and the Weißbuch indicate that
it´s a September ´69 pressing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 01:51 by TooTough.

Date: August 12, 2014 03:25

TooTough
treaclefingers
TooTough
It´s stereo.

It´s octagonal (if you want it). spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

popsike has it listed for 249€ in 2012.
[www.popsike.com]

It´s a Royal Sound Decca pressing used end of the 60s.
rollingtom from Sweden and the Weißbuch indicate that
it´s a September ´69 pressing.

Very rare by the sounds of it, congratulations!

Ever get the desire to pull out your scissors and nip those edges?

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 03:38

I don't think this is very rare. I see these and the black corners often at record shows Bought mine years ago for 7 US dollars. It is NOT made to cut your own corners. If you look at the binding, cutting of the corners will cut off the title and serial number on the album.

It was more expensive ,ie the 3-d Satanic, to produce the octagon for a long run, or for any overseas run. It was cheaper to add the colored corners, and non 3-D Satanic, with later pressings.

It's just my observed opinion. I could and hope to be wrong regarding the value of the white corners with cutting lines on the corners.

Date: August 12, 2014 04:29

deardoctortake1
I don't think this is very rare. I see these and the black corners often at record shows Bought mine years ago for 7 US dollars. It is NOT made to cut your own corners. If you look at the binding, cutting of the corners will cut off the title and serial number on the album.

It was more expensive ,ie the 3-d Satanic, to produce the octagon for a long run, or for any overseas run. It was cheaper to add the colored corners, and non 3-D Satanic, with later pressings.

It's just my observed opinion. I could and hope to be wrong regarding the value of the white corners with cutting lines on the corners.

Yeah I've never seen the white corners myself, just the black corners or of course the blue extended to all 4 corners, like a regular LP.

If it's listed on Popsike and sold for 249 Euros, might be some validity to the notion that it is a rare record.

Date: August 12, 2014 07:59

Treaclefingers,
thanks to www.stonesondecca.com and my personal collection the British discography is not problem to me. The US is not so. Sometimes, it's not easy telling a first press from a second or a third one and that's the reason why I've started studing LONDON albums. Once again, the answer is onto the dead wax and not on labels. The off-groove data let us know a lot, if you're able to read them properly. Going back to Monarch Records MFG Co, LA they used to assign a five-digit progressive job number to all the albums they pressed.
On top of that, they marked all their records with MR and a triangle (aka delta). The given job number is the same on both sides and they used a X letter to tell the B from the A side. If you know the list of all the job number given and you know the job number of your copy of, let's say, 'Aftermath' then you know when that 'Aftermath' was issued (month, year).
As far as I know, Monarch Records has pressed all the RS LONDON + RSR albums, from 'England's Newest Hitmakers' (MONO) to 'Still life' (even if there are heavy doubts on MR's paternity of this latter title). In my personal collection two title are still missing: 'Their Majesties Satanic Request' (STEREO) and 'Through the Past, Darly'. As Monarch Records MFG Co. used to work on mono and stereo pressing at the same time, the job number of the stereo 'Satanic' is not a problem and, almost surely, they issued their effort in January 1968, as they did for the mono brother. Talkin' about 'Darkly', I'm asking collectors providing me the job number, in order to realise is Monarch ever issued an early print of this album.
By the way, LONDON used no less that fifteen record pressing plants in the US. One of them is Shelly Products of 'Hot Rocks' fame, but there are many, many more. Again, some od the pressing plants had own printing facilities for labels.
Therefore, sometimes you can tell a record plant by the typesetting of the label and or some other details (you talk about navy and/or super navy blue labels: these are commonly known as glossy or superglossy papers in forum for record collectors such as Steve Hoffman's) like fonts, condensed or not. My activy as an archivist has lead me to gather no less than 500 RS LONDON album in my collection and to locate some hardly seen major variations in labels, sound content (a minimum of two stereo re-issues play mono) and so on. In my personal opion, nowadays you can correctly tell a first from the other LONDON pressings and date them all well.As far I know, no need to say.
Thanks for answering, Luca
PS: would you please post the very complete off-trail data of your two 'Darkly'? I will 'read' them for you, just to let see what I mean...

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: August 12, 2014 12:26

deardoctortake1

I remember these words and I think it's my bad English and has been taken from my website www.vinylstones.org. It has been down now for a while but I've got no time to check out why.

Anyway, I've only seen 1 copy in my life and I'm sure TooTough has another one but all in all this seems to be one of the rarest German releases ever. If the story I was told (as mentioned above) is correct one can't expect that more than a few dozen copies were made for the soldiers. It looks cheap but that doesn't mean it's not rare. If a few guys even cut off the edges for real the remaining - intact - copies are even more valueable ;-)

Just to add to this thread - my favourite purchase in the last years was the English "I Wanna Be Your Man" with the wrong titled B-side "Stones". Not quite rare you say? Your're right, but the wrong "Stones" instead of "Stoned"-label is glued on both sides of the single, while the records plays "I Wanna Be Your Man" on side 1. A nice (and rare) misprint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 12:28 by silkcut1978_.

Date: August 12, 2014 15:06

The German square 'Through the Past, Darkly' was often seen at Italian records fairs, long ago. Nowadays, I think it's not so easy to find.
To be precise, my copy has:
. cat. number on rear cover sports an additional -EX that was dismissed onto the definitive covers
. this square cover is not fold-open, in opposition to the well-known final one and has white spine
. rear cover of the -EX copy is different and presents the usual picture of the five stones laying on the ground
. three of the white corners are blind, but the fourth one - the lower one of the spine - reads the catalogue numbers
. the featured record is exactly the same of the stock copy, with Royal Sound emblem
. I heard the story about it being supposed a special release for US troops in Germany, but nothing on record/cover lets you think the story it's true

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 15:07 by 1963luca0.

Date: August 12, 2014 16:46

I'm in office and don't have my LPs at hand and as I wrote before, my site isn't up anymore.

Do we talk about the same cover or are we maybe confusing things? As far as I remember the one I'm talking about has the corners seperated with a dashed line from the rest. On the other hand I have (german) copies of this LP with black and even white corners, but without the dashed line.

Copies without dashed line are more or less common an easy to get, I've seen the one with the dashed line only once in my life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 16:47 by silkcut1978_.

Date: August 12, 2014 17:00

I confirm my has copy has black dashes marking the line you follow when cutting the cover to get an octagonal cover. As far as I remember, I've never seen a copy with white corners and no dashes. Bye, Luca

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: August 12, 2014 17:06

Hi,
If someone is intrested in buying an original "THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY"
with original OCTAGON sleeves and original inner sleeves there are at THIS moment 19 for bidding on UK E- Bay.
Most Stereo a few Mono.
Greets

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 17:07 by tioms.

Date: August 12, 2014 17:22

1963luca0
I confirm my has copy has black dashes marking the line you follow when cutting the cover to get an octagonal cover. As far as I remember, I've never seen a copy with white corners and no dashes. Bye, Luca

Wow, an interesting series of posts on this...I'm off to work but I'll try and get photos of mine up for you to look at later today luca.

Date: August 12, 2014 17:29

I'll do the same later in the evening - I've got a backup of my site somewhere on my HDs. By now I'm curious on my own what I have.

I'm almost sure I'm having a "white-corner-no-dashed-line" from Germany in my collection but it might be wishful thinking...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home