Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Brian Jones Guitar Solos?
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 26, 2012 00:52

Boy it gets ugly here. The guy bought it 40 odd years ago and he was trashed for the last years of his life. Still he remains an enigma, I'd say he was a subtle player and rock can always use more of them. Where would he be if things were different? I believe he would have found his voice like Keith did and would have done more great things. In his perfect world he was a bluesman and that's where the Stones did their best work. Jimmy Miller had as much to do with this explosion more than even Mick Taylor. Brian leaves many ifs but he was a worthy Stone.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: December 26, 2012 01:00

I am listening almost every day the 67 Paris concert... and i am really impressed by the power of the band...The entire band was full of energy and great playing.
I dig a lot Brian's contributions on guitar. Bright Light's Big City had a great interplay between Keith and Brian. smileys with beer

Date: December 26, 2012 01:03

This is bizarre: a word is used to describe a guitar sound; a few posts later and several mis- -readings and misquotes it is being discussed as ascribed to the guy playing the guitar.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 26, 2012 01:14

When Brian was in the band Keith was the solo player. When Brian was fired from the band everything was more or less over for him.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 26, 2012 02:00

Who is playing solo on this one? I think I know who´s playing solo from ´67 and on but before that confused smiley

Play it loud.............

Date: December 26, 2012 03:07

NICOS
Who is playing solo on this one? I think I know who´s playing solo from ´67 and on but before that confused smiley

Well, it must be Keith... but this cover is great... Love it! smileys with beer

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: December 26, 2012 07:08

If You Need Me is all Brian. Not really lead but a very effective guitar part. Brian did what works. He did it well. He was all about the sound. He could have been a great producer. He had massive potential that was never realized.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 26, 2012 08:44

I think it gets down to a role thing.

Brian mostly plays bar chords in the Stones songs, holding down the rhythm and Keith plays the solos but it can vary a bit like in the Last Time where Brian is playing the riff and Keith is holding down the rhythm.

Brian sometimes, arpeggiates the chords but riffs and arpeggios are not solos.

If someone looks at the old videos, Brian is mostly sticking to bar chords.

When Brian is on the harp or slide, Keith holds down the rhythm.

Funny thing is that Brian just doesn't seem to take a full on guitar solo but takes full on harp solos.

What's odd about it, is that Brian would have known the Blues scales as he talks about Blues scales when explaining his Sitar technique to a journalist and Brian uses these Blues scales in his harp playing and his short and sweet slide solos a bit but Brian doesn't seem to directly play a Blues scale solo with bending notes on the guitar like Keith did but Brian bends notes on the Sitar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 08:47 by howled.

Date: December 26, 2012 10:25

Does Brian play slide on "No Expectations." Does Ry Cooder play on Beggars Banquet or Let it Bleed? Was Mick Taylor an official member at the beginning of Let It Bleed? The guitar line-up is unclear to me in this transition period. Thanks in advance.

Date: December 26, 2012 11:55

Brian does play slide on NE. One of his very last great contributions to the Stones' canon.
Ry Cooder plays mandolin on "Love in Vain". He looks to have been around for that first batch of LIB sessions in earl;y '69, right after the R&R Circus. What is odd though is that "Jamming w/ Edward" comes out after the second batch of sessions in April '69.
It seems MT was very quickly announced as official member. This did not happen until May, which was in mid LIB session. he did HTW and "Live with Me".
looking at sessionography he also contributed to a number of tracks in those sessions; many of which show up on "Metamorphosis". (I Dont Know Why, Jivin Sister Fanny, Im Goin Down)

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: December 26, 2012 12:35

DoomandGloom
Does Brian play slide on "No Expectations.
I wonder why this ever was questioned? I'm not picking on you DoomandGloom I'm just wondering because I have seen various people question this over the years. I think all the Stones have said that the slide was played by Brian. So where did the rumour start that it was somebody else?

Date: December 26, 2012 17:59

BJPortugal
NICOS

Sorry but this Brian playing. Want proof? Saturday club. They play It's Over Now. Mick States "while Brian changes guitars." Brian switches from hIs Vox to his Gretsch. He spends part of the song adjusting the volume. And his Gretsch had an unmistakeable sound. Keith never played that style. Brian plays the same way on the first version of Time On My Side.

Date: December 26, 2012 19:51

ovalvox
BJPortugal
NICOS

Sorry but this Brian playing. Want proof? Saturday club. They play It's Over Now. Mick States "while Brian changes guitars." Brian switches from hIs Vox to his Gretsch. He spends part of the song adjusting the volume. And his Gretsch had an unmistakeable sound. Keith never played that style. Brian plays the same way on the first version of Time On My Side.

If you say so... i am not and expert on see "whats Brian or whats Keith" Great to know that..thumbs up

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 26, 2012 21:13

BJPortugal
ovalvox
BJPortugal
NICOS

If you say so... i am not and expert on see "whats Brian or whats Keith" Great to know that..thumbs up

Did not know that was Brian either, interesting info! I think the consensus here also a while ago was that is was Brian on lead on "Tell Me".

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 26, 2012 21:47

tonterapi
DoomandGloom
I wonder why this ever was questioned? I'm not picking on you DoomandGloom I'm just wondering because I have seen various people question this over the years. I think all the Stones have said that the slide was played by Brian. So where did the rumour start that it was somebody else?

Brian played slide on No Expectations at the Rock n Roll Circus.

Date: December 26, 2012 21:50

It only makes sense that Brian played lead on Tell Me. Keith certainly wasn't going to write it on a 12 string acoustic guitar and then tell Brian he had to play it while Keith played a different part. More proof is the Red Skelton hour. They mime to it but it is clear that Keith is miming the 12 string acoustic part and Brian is miming the 6 string electric part. No solo of course because it was the American version. Another tidbit is Brian on the same show deliberately plays the chords on the wrong frets on Its All Over Now. He's not playing in the key of G. Probably was bored with all the miming they did in the mid 60's.

Date: December 26, 2012 22:01

stonesnow
tonterapi
DoomandGloom

The RRC was awesome. It was just pure 60's. Brian was carried like Tony Sanchez said in his book but he played. He looked defeated at that point but managed a decent performance considering. He played Flash well. His slide was decent as well. He was a bit shaky on You Can't t Always get what you want. He sounded out of tune because he was having trouble barring the C chord extending his baby finger. He should have played it in open C like Keith did when he did it in the studio. He played Expectations in open E. The other bands were awesome. The Who. Jethro Tull. The Dirty Mac minus Yoko's hideous performance.

Date: December 26, 2012 22:29

ovalvox
It only makes sense that Brian played lead on Tell Me. Keith certainly wasn't going to write it on a 12 string acoustic guitar and then tell Brian he had to play it while Keith played a different part. More proof is the Red Skelton hour. They mime to it but it is clear that Keith is miming the 12 string acoustic part and Brian is miming the 6 string electric part. No solo of course because it was the American version. Another tidbit is Brian on the same show deliberately plays the chords on the wrong frets on Its All Over Now. He's not playing in the key of G. Probably was bored with all the miming they did in the mid 60's.

thumbs up and what a pleasing solo it is, too bad it was eliminated in the American version, in the end what a terrific song with a great sound, both with Keith's 12 string and electric from Brian, Mick sang it perfectly. A classic, loved it since first hearing it back in 64.

Date: December 26, 2012 22:38

Blue
ovalvox

thumbs up and what a pleasing solo it is, too bad it was eliminated in the American version, in the end what a terrific song with a great sound, both with Keith's 12 string and electric from Brian, Mick sang it perfectly. A classic, loved it since first hearing it back in 64.

It's amazing. For years I listened to it and never knew there was a solo on it. Only in America would they worry that a song was to lengthy and cut out a 10 second solo.

Date: December 26, 2012 23:36

ovalvox
Blue
ovalvox

thumbs up and what a pleasing solo it is, too bad it was eliminated in the American version, in the end what a terrific song with a great sound, both with Keith's 12 string and electric from Brian, Mick sang it perfectly. A classic, loved it since
first hearing it back in 64.

It's amazing. For years I listened to it and never knew there was a solo on it. Only in America would they worry that a song was to lengthy and cut out a 10 second solo.

Me either, but it was a nice discovery later on, many years after Brian passed.

Date: December 27, 2012 00:42

Palace Revolution 2000
Brian does play slide on NE. One of his very last great contributions to the Stones' canon.
Ry Cooder plays mandolin on "Love in Vain". He looks to have been around for that first batch of LIB sessions in earl;y '69, right after the R&R Circus. What is odd though is that "Jamming w/ Edward" comes out after the second batch of sessions in April '69.
It seems MT was very quickly announced as official member. This did not happen until May, which was in mid LIB session. he did HTW and "Live with Me".
looking at sessionography he also contributed to a number of tracks in those sessions; many of which show up on "Metamorphosis". (I Dont Know Why, Jivin Sister Fanny, Im Goin Down)
Thanks...One more question. Dave Mason to my knowledge also appears on "Beggars" , is that true? Hard to believe Ry is only on one song after all the fuss made through the years but I'll take you on your expertise.

Date: December 27, 2012 00:58

DoomandGloom
Palace Revolution 2000
Thanks...One more question. Dave Mason to my knowledge also appears on "Beggars" , is that true? Hard to believe Ry is only on one song after all the fuss made through the years but I'll take you on your expertise.

Guitar on Dear Doctor, shehnai on Street Fighting Man, and maybe mellotron on Factory Girl, i suppose.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 01:01 by BJPortugal.

Date: December 27, 2012 01:14

BJPortugal
DoomandGloom
Palace Revolution 2000

Guitar on Dear Doctor, shehnai on Street Fighting Man, and maybe mellotron on Factory Girl, i suppose.thumbs up
Thanks... There's a person who knows their stuff!!!

Date: December 27, 2012 01:16

tonterapi
DoomandGloom
It's the solid technique and the Ry Cooder presence in that era... Glad to know it's Jones, expertly played...

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 27, 2012 07:54

I wouldn't call Brian's Tell Me arpeggiated instrumental break a solo.

I would call it an instrumental break.

Brian is playing the notes of the chords one by one (arpeggio) instead of in the usual all notes at the same time block.

Tell Me has that 50's chord progression in the chorus which is used in countless 50's songs.

It's different from the Blues that the Stones did and shows Mick and Keith keeping an eye on the pop world for song ideas and they always have over the years and Country as well.

D, Bm, G, A

Classic 50's chord progression.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 08:14 by howled.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 27, 2012 10:35

BJPortugal
DoomandGloom
Palace Revolution 2000

Probably only Shehani on SFM. It's Nicky Hopkins on mellotron (fiddle) on FG. Mason is credited in some books to have played guitar on DD, but there's only one guitar on DD and that one is Keith.

Mathijs

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: December 27, 2012 20:00

stonesnow
Just like he did on the album version. smiling smiley

I've always found it weird that they decided to perform NE at RnR despite the fact that they didn't know whom of Brian's inner demons they were going to meet for the day. Anyway, he managed to do it and played good.

ovalvox
The RRC was awesome. It was just pure 60's. Brian was carried like Tony Sanchez said in his book but he played. He looked defeated at that point but managed a decent performance considering. He played Flash well. His slide was decent as well. He was a bit shaky on You Can't t Always get what you want. He sounded out of tune because he was having trouble barring the C chord extending his baby finger. He should have played it in open C like Keith did when he did it in the studio. He played Expectations in open E. The other bands were awesome. The Who. Jethro Tull. The Dirty Mac minus Yoko's hideous performance.
Brian played on all the songs but can only be heard on NE and SFTD. I think Keith has said that Brian played bad so they turned off his amp. But some people claim that he is more audible on the bootleg versions of the show and that he plays alright. From what I can see he doesn't play anything wrong. But he is shaky and doesn't look to be either comfortable or feeling well. He needed a brake and professional help at that point. Poor guy.

Mathijs
It's Nicky Hopkins on mellotron (fiddle) on FG.
The mandolin is mellotron. The fiddle is real.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 20:05 by tonterapi.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 27, 2012 20:46

tonterapi

Of course you're right -mandolin. The same as used by the Beatles.

Mathijs

Date: December 27, 2012 21:29

tonterapi
stonesnow
Just like he did on the album version. smiling smiley

I've always found it weird that they decided to perform NE at RnR despite the fact that they didn't know whom of Brian's inner demons they were going to meet for the day. Anyway, he managed to do it and played good.

ovalvox
The RRC was awesome. It was just pure 60's. Brian was carried like Tony Sanchez said in his book but he played. He looked defeated at that point but managed a decent performance considering. He played Flash well. His slide was decent as well. He was a bit shaky on You Can't t Always get what you want. He sounded out of tune because he was having trouble barring the C chord extending his baby finger. He should have played it in open C like Keith did when he did it in the studio. He played Expectations in open E. The other. bands were awesome. The Who. Jethro Tull. The Dirty Mac minus Yoko's hideous performance.
Brian played on all the songs but can only be heard on NE and SFTD. I think Keith has said that Brian played bad so they turned off his amp. But some people claim that he is more audible on the bootleg versions of the show and that he plays alright. From what I can see he doesn't play anything wrong. But he is shaky and doesn't look to be either comfortable or feeling well. He needed a brake and professional help at that point. Poor guy.

Mathijs
It's Nicky Hopkins on mellotron (fiddle) on FG.

Date: December 27, 2012 21:49

Let me try this again. This time I will type something before I accidently hit post. Brian played on RRC. He plays on Flash. He's playing the riff. He makes the same mistake twice just before the bridge. He goes into the bridge to soon both times. It's very audible. And you can clearly hear two guitar parts. Parachute was just a 12 bar blues and Brian in his condition could handle that. NE he did alright. Shaky but you're right he looked like he didn't want to he there. I wouldn't trust Keith. The Keith who claims he formed the stones in his book when the rest of the world knows it was Brian.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home