Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Some Girls - Were There 3 Versions of the Front Cover Art?
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: August 5, 2011 20:43

[en.wikipedia.org]

Please tell me ... were there really three versions of the album art regarding the Rolling Stones' Some Girls album? The 3rd version with the hand-drawn women was the one used for the CBS-era issues, although I do remember a few late-period Atlantic-issue prints (think between late 1979 and early 1984) carrying this latest cover art. What I would like to see is a HQ pic of the 3rd version of the album art.

The first version of the LP cover art, designed by Peter Corriston, was what got the Stones in trouble: there were pictures of such noted celebrities as Lucille Ball, Farrah Fawcett, Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe and Raquel Welch alongside, of course, the Stones themselves, dressed in drag. Reportedly, Mick Jagger apologized to Liza Minnelli (the daughter of Judy Garland) over the incident.

The second version of this cover art removed all the real female likenesses and a notice is placed which reads: "PARDON OUR APPEARANCE - COVER UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION," which I believe led to the design of the 3rd version with the hand-drawn women.

Album cover art number three replaces the Stones' drag-queen likenesses with hand-drawn women. It was this version that was used for the CBS-period (1986) issues of the album on LP, cassette and CD. I personally find the drawn women cover to be more desirable than the versions with the die-cut covers.

Which version of the Some Girls album art do you think is most desirable?

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-05 20:47 by BrianJones1969.

Re: Some Girls - Were There 3 Versions of the Front Cover Art?
Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: August 5, 2011 21:01

I prefer the original. I believe there are 3 different colour patterns in the original issue, right?

Date: August 5, 2011 21:20

Single Malt
I prefer the original. I believe there are 3 different colour patterns in the original issue, right?
The original banned cover and the 3rd cover have pastel shades of yellow on the first row, blue on the second row, pink on the third row and green on the fourth row. The album's title on both is in a red script font.

On many international pressings of the LP, these colors are shifted down with the first row being green, the second being yellow, the third being blue and the fourth being pink. The colors on these issues are also brighter/less dull.

For the 2nd version, there is considerably less color used for the four rows of "women."

The 3rd version, which I will picture here, has hand-drawn faces.

The Rolling Stones - "Some Girls" (cover art no. 3) by classictvman81, on Flickr

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-05 21:21 by BrianJones1969.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: August 5, 2011 22:08

As far as German releases are interesting there were 3 different covers with the initial release - see here [www.vinylstones.org]
the 4th in line is the CBS re-issue.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 6, 2011 00:24

What about the famous "under construction" cover! The insert just had Lucille Ball and a few others blacked out.

Date: August 6, 2011 00:31

Lynd8
What about the famous "under construction" cover! The insert just had Lucille Ball and a few others blacked out.
That is the second version of the album art... which looks like this:

rolling stones some girls by Locator, on Flickr

Of course, those cut-outs refer to the celebs that demanded their removal from the cover art.

~Ben

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-06 00:32 by BrianJones1969.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 6, 2011 01:40

The original cover was brilliant, and I hope when any "Deluxe version" finally comes out that someone in the Stones' organization makes an effort to secure permission from the celebs (or their estates ) to use their likenesses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 41 on October 22, 2014 00:36
Record Number of Guests: 258 on October 21, 2014 22:47

Previous page Next page First page IORR home