Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: I Wanna Be Your Man
Posted by: René ()
Date: July 18, 2011 10:37

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

I Wanna Be Your Man
(John Lennon / Paul McCartney)

De Lane Lea Music Recording Studios, Holborn, London, UK, October 7, 1963

Mick Jagger - lead vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - electric slide guitar, harmony vocals

I wanna be your lover, baby, I wanna be your man
I wanna be your lover, baby, I wanna be your man

Tell me that you love me, baby, tell me you understand

I wanna be your man, I wanna be your man

Yeah, tell me that you love me, baby, tell me you understand

Yes, I wanna be your lover, baby, I wanna be your man
Yes, I wanna be, I wanna be your baby, I wanna be your man

Produced by Eric Easton

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “I Wanna Be Your Man / Stoned” 7” single
(Decca F 11764) UK, November 1, 1963

Re: Track Talk: I Wanna Be Your Man
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: July 18, 2011 11:19

Well, for starters, great electric slide work!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 18, 2011 11:21

Great stuff! My second Stones-single by the way...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 18, 2011 11:45

Blue
Well, for starters, great electric slide work!

Great bass playing too! smoking smiley

Certainly wipes the floor with The Beat-less' version.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 18, 2011 11:57

Amazing slide! >grinning smiley<

That SOUND must have sent shock waves through the chart listeners in Britain in the slick, commercial pop year of 1963...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 18, 2011 13:27

I clearly remember it at the time of its release. My much older brother was buying the early Beatles albums and we saw this on a TV show like Thank Your Lucky Stars and he dissed it, saying the Stones were poor copyists.

That was enough for me and I went into school the next day raving about it. And yeah, rootsman, that single more than anything created a parting of the ways for pop music fans. After that most pop fans were generally either in the Stones or Beatles camp because of the way the publicity machine was working.

It has a ferocious sound - punk 14 years before punk happened and at a breakneck pace that feels as if you're listening to it standing in the eye of a hurricane.

It features amazing bass but sonically speaking the record has no real bottom - just all treble. And incredibly it's a sound the Stones were to return to on a couple of tracks on Dirty Work - in the middle of the over-layered and over-produced sounds of the 80s.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: July 18, 2011 13:49

Thats the single that started it all off for me,
My gran nearly fell off her chair when she saw them
do this song,
I just had a chill go up my back, amazing song, they made
it there own, so much energy.

Date: July 18, 2011 14:03

Silver Dagger
It features amazing bass but sonically speaking the record has no real bottom - just all treble. And incredibly it's a sound the Stones were to return to on a couple of tracks on Dirty Work - in the middle of the over-layered and over-produced sounds of the 80s.

I played this to a bass-playing friend a few years back & he swore that Bill was using an acoustic bass! He's wrong of course, but I can't recall hearing quite the same bass sound on any other RS record.

As for 'Had It With You', I seem to recall that this actually has no bass guitar on it, though I may be wrong.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 18, 2011 14:22

Sleepy City

I played this to a bass-playing friend a few years back & he swore that Bill was using an acoustic bass! He's wrong of course, but I can't recall hearing quite the same bass sound on any other RS record.

You're friend was right, Bill used various short scale hollow body basses until early 1970. He started with a big body Framus Star Bass in early '64, and switcehd to the smaller Star Bass somwhere in '65. Stripped of its paint he last used this bass on the Hyde Park gig. He endorsed the Vox Bill Wyman bass, and used a Vox Astro IV V273 violin Bass for some of the BB and LIB sessions. These where all hollow bodied.

On I Wanna Be Your Man Wyman uses the large bodied Framus Star Bass.

Mathijs

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 18, 2011 14:44

Boisterous cover, with a scorching slide.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-19 14:46 by drewmaster.

Date: July 18, 2011 14:47

Sleepy City
Silver Dagger

As for 'Had It With You', I seem to recall that this actually has no bass guitar on it, though I may be wrong.

Yeah, what I meant was a few tracks on Dirty Work having an all treble, thin wirey sound.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:05

Sleepy City
Silver Dagger

You're right regarding Had it with you. No bass there.... :-)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:11

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:22

Brilliant bass on The Youngsters version...thumbs up and the rest of the musical madness also of course...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:33

the definition of glorious raunch
and the Keith-LV version with the Winos is way hot as well

i love the Rolling Stones

Date: July 18, 2011 15:34

Rockman

Wow - it says they recorded with Roberto Carlos - not, I take it, the great former captain of Brazil and lethal freekick taker?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-18 17:22 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:40

Acetate of I wanna be your man. Click below to listen to a part of the song from this acetate.

[www.4shared.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-18 20:33 by steffiestones.

Date: July 18, 2011 15:46

steffiestones
Acetate of I wanna be your man. Click below to listen to a part of the song from this acetate.

i wanna be your man_001.mp3

Steffie, that's twice in a week you've amazed us with great archive Stones material. You must have an incredible collection. Great stuff.

Date: July 18, 2011 15:47

Thanks,...and still searching for the holy grail!...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 18, 2011 16:37

Bill has said in numerous places that the "home-made" bass of sorts that he assembled early on(theres lots of pics ) was his favorite and that he used it nearly exclusively for recording through the late 70s long after he had stopped using it for performing. I dont know if this is the one used for recording this song but it does make ya wonder...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 18, 2011 17:11

steffiestones

Wow, that is amazing...I wouldn't be so vulgar as to ask how much you paid for it, HOWEVER, I would be very curious if you could share how you were able to obtain this treasure.

Is there a story behind this?

Thanks!

Date: July 18, 2011 17:24

steffiestones

And that holy grail is...?

Date: July 18, 2011 17:36

Silver Dagger
steffiestones

And that holy grail is...?

Don't know, still searching...

Date: July 18, 2011 17:43

treaclefingers
steffiestones

Wow, that is amazing...I wouldn't be so vulgar as to ask how much you paid for it, HOWEVER, I would be very curious if you could share how you were able to obtain this treasure.

Is there a story behind this?

Thanks!

I'm collecting stones memorabilia, specially acetates, for more than 30 years.
i am in contact with very big rolling stones collectors from whole the world and searching almost every day a couple of hours on the internet.
you will pay for a authentic original acetate easy a couple of 100 euros.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 18, 2011 19:54

scottkeef
Bill has said in numerous places that the "home-made" bass of sorts that he assembled early on(theres lots of pics ) was his favorite and that he used it nearly exclusively for recording through the late 70s long after he had stopped using it for performing. I dont know if this is the one used for recording this song but it does make ya wonder...

He used it in the studio a lot, but not as often as he implies. There's loads of photos of him recording using the Framus and Vox basses during 60's.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 18, 2011 19:55

The slide and Bass make this track worth listening too. thumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 18, 2011 20:04

Mathijs
Sleepy City

You're friend was right, Bill used various short scale hollow body basses until early 1970. He started with a big body Framus Star Bass in early '64, and switcehd to the smaller Star Bass somwhere in '65. Stripped of its paint he last used this bass on the Hyde Park gig. He endorsed the Vox Bill Wyman bass, and used a Vox Astro IV V273 violin Bass for some of the BB and LIB sessions. These where all hollow bodied.

Mathijs

I think maybe SleepyCity's friend meant "acoustic" as in upright bass?

Date: July 18, 2011 20:18

71Tele
Mathijs
Sleepy City

Mathijs

I think maybe SleepyCity's friend meant "acoustic" as in upright bass?

Yes, or an unplugged acoustic bass (like a 4-string acoustic guitar, not sure if they even existed then though). Something without an electric pick-up in other words.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 18, 2011 20:23

I can't think of a rock song before this that used a slide lead.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 18, 2011 21:31

I just saw Ringo yesterday doing this Rolling Stones cover :-) Anyway, I love both versions of this song, just as I love both bands. I hope it is allowed now, almost 50 years later :-)

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home