Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Rolling Stones Songs With Tremolo
Date: July 6, 2011 20:55

Great call on "Might as well get juiced". My first thought was "ah no, they are thinking about the oscillator"; but then I listened and that guitar sure enough has a tremolo on it. It even sounds like a real amp tremolo

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 6, 2011 21:33

ChrisM
MingSubu
Updated the first post. Let me know if I missed any, or you disagree.
Just listened to 'I'm Free' and one of the guitars has a touch of tremolo...

You're the 3rd person to mention that just on this page.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 6, 2011 21:59

MingSubu

Down Home Girl
What A Shame

The above two don't feature tremolo as an effect, they feature use of the whammy bar.

Grown Up Wrong is a track which features vibrato effect from an amp, ie it's like tremolo effect, but the pitch wobbles slightly instead of the volume.

Some people mistakenly think the guitars in those 3 tracks is being played with slide.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-06 22:15 by His Majesty.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 6, 2011 23:41

His Majesty
MingSubu

Down Home Girl
What A Shame

The above two don't feature tremolo as an effect, they feature use of the whammy bar.

Grown Up Wrong is a track which features vibrato effect from an amp, ie it's like tremolo effect, but the pitch wobbles slightly instead of the volume.

Some people mistakenly think the guitars in those 3 tracks is being played with slide.

probably right about the first two but
I'm pretty sure Grown Up Wrong is played with slide.
just listen to the intro - single note go: dee dee dee do - waing, waing*.

*slide, C to D.

btw, they obviously didn't bother to iron out some mishaps in the song, lol.

Date: July 7, 2011 01:28

Nope, grown up wrong is in standard, without slide. The main guitar with vibrato effect plays both the main motif and the Solo, which features Keith like string bends, so it's most likely Keith playing it with Brian doing the chuck berry rhythm with cleaner, non vibrato effected guitar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 01:35 by His Majesty.

Date: July 7, 2011 02:42

Could it be that Brian is playing a slide and doing the lo string plucks too?
Reason I say this is because of the end of the solo; it's kind of a mess, but it sounds like underneath Keith's guitar, the other guitar is starting to slide again on the riff.

Date: July 7, 2011 04:23

Palace Revolution 2000
Reason I say this is because of the end of the solo; it's kind of a mess, but it sounds like underneath Keith's guitar, the other guitar is starting to slide again on the riff.

There are just 2 guitars, the guitar with vibrato effect also plays the solo, the part you mention is played by the same guitar.

The part you mention is just scrappy chordal work with some single notes thrown in. I'd post tab, but I'm on iPad at moment and it's hard enough just typing words. grinning smiley

Basically the main motif is simple, and the vibrato effect gives the impression that it's slide, but it isn't. The vibrato present throughout the song is at constant speed, it's not the result of someone playing slide, it's mechanical, it's present on the solo too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 04:28 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: July 7, 2011 07:57

MingSubu has been waiting all night to tell everyone the difference between vibrato and tremolo.

undercover1

Date: July 7, 2011 11:18

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

There are just 2 guitars, the guitar with vibrato effect also plays the solo, the part you mention is played by the same guitar.

The part you mention is just scrappy chordal work with some single notes thrown in. I'd post tab, but I'm on iPad at moment and it's hard enough just typing words. grinning smiley

Basically the main motif is simple, and the vibrato effect gives the impression that it's slide, but it isn't. The vibrato present throughout the song is at constant speed, it's not the result of someone playing slide, it's mechanical, it's present on the solo too.

HM, we're talking about "Grown Up Wrong" right?
Are you saying you hear tremolo on Keith's main guitar?
I was saying that I agree there is no slide on Keith's guitar,but I wonder if Brian is basically doubling that end of the phrase (the slide-y 'doing") on slide.

Date: July 7, 2011 13:56

Palace Revolution 2000

HM, we're talking about "Grown Up Wrong" right?
Are you saying you hear tremolo on Keith's main guitar?
I was saying that I agree there is no slide on Keith's guitar,but I wonder if Brian is basically doubling that end of the phrase (the slide-y 'doing") on slide.

Yes we are.

No, it's just Keith playing a D chord at 10th fret.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 14:11 by His Majesty.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 7, 2011 15:29

Undercover1
MingSubu has been waiting all night to tell everyone the difference between vibrato and tremolo.

undercover1

I gave up.

Date: July 7, 2011 15:55

MingSubu
Undercover1

undercover1

I gave up.

Your list needs adjusting.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 7, 2011 16:05

More Hot Rocks
Koen
DragonSky
They don't use tremelo as a rule it seems. They're not big on whammy bars...

As already explained above, a whammy bar is not a tremolo.

They don't get it Koen

Was confusing it with "tremolo bar" being whammy bar.

Tremolo is what is called "vibrato" on an amp, even though it's NOT vibrato.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 7, 2011 16:07

And thanks for Leo Fender for this confusion thumbs up

[www.fender.com]

Date: July 7, 2011 16:10

Vibrato is about pitch, not amplitude. A fantastic example of vibrato is...how Toby Keith sings, lots of wobble in his pitch, hence him sounding like a billy goat on steroids.

Date: July 7, 2011 16:22

DragonSky

Tremolo is what is called "vibrato" on an amp, even though it's NOT vibrato.

Some amps have actual vibrato, pitch modulation, effect though.

Date: July 7, 2011 16:24

It's called 'vibrato' on amps but it's technically tremolo. Some amps make the guitar change notes sharp to flat? I've never heard that. Unless it's digital...

Date: July 7, 2011 16:30

DragonSky
It's called 'vibrato' on amps but it's technically tremolo. Some amps make the guitar change notes sharp to flat? I've never heard that. Unless it's digital...

Yes, some amps have actual vibrato effect, for example some old Magnatone amps. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 16:31 by His Majesty.

Date: July 7, 2011 16:36

I don't know what it's called but it seems to have been a popular thing in rap and whatever kind of "music" it's called but that voice effect that makes it sound like their emoting bubbles that change pitch like a keyboard - is there something like that for guitar?

Ooops. There is. It's called Matt Clifford. Nevermind.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 7, 2011 17:57

Sleepy City
You're the 3rd person to mention that just on this page.
I mentioned it twice actually and Mingsubu once. I haven't had much sleep lately...

Date: July 7, 2011 18:25

His Majesty
Nope, grown up wrong is in standard, without slide. The main guitar with vibrato effect plays both the main motif and the Solo, which features Keith like string bends, so it's most likely Keith playing it with Brian doing the chuck berry rhythm with cleaner, non vibrato effected guitar.

I'm still wondering if you're right but I found this on Keno's site:
sounds right to my ears and Palace seems to agree, yes?

GROWN UP WRONG

Recorded September 28 & 29, 1964.Released in the US on 12x5 in 1964 and in the UK on Rolling Stones #2 in 1965.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger
Electric Slide Guitar & Harmonica: Brian Jones Rhythm
Electric Guitar & Backing Vocal: Keith Richards
Bass: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts

Date: July 7, 2011 18:48

It's not slide and the harmonica is by Mick.

Keno's site is awful for who played what info.

The part doesn't actually slide from C to D , it just lands, quite hap hazardly, on D chord, the same guitar plays the solo which features Keith like string bends etc.

I don't care much if you agree, but for the final time it's the vibrato effect which gives the impression that it features slide. I spent some time analysing the guitar parts and although it can be approximated using open D with slide, it all comes together like the record with standard tuning, no slide and some vibrato effect.

Although I am quite the Brian Jones fan, I try to start with a clear head and no favouritism when I do such things. Let the playing, style, licks, tunings etc suggest the player.

I thought it was slide for years until quite recently.

smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 19:04 by His Majesty.

Date: July 8, 2011 00:51

I want to say one thing: this kinds of threads could be the some of the very best to run on IORR. For me, these discussions are the one and true reason I come here. And it would be good if they were able to carry on w/o anger, arrogance.
It's hard enough to have a lively discussion transatlantic, in different time zones, etc.
- hard staying patient with other voices piping in from Down Under to Norway.
I know for a fact that there are many silent readers who also love following these type threads, that are about deep in the music.
- wasn't any post or instance in this thread that this is directed at; just wanted to say this.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 8, 2011 05:19

Palace Revolution 2000

I want to say one thing: this kinds of threads could be the some of the very best to run on IORR. For me, these discussions are the one and true reason I come here. And it would be good if they were able to carry on w/o anger, arrogance.
It's hard enough to have a lively discussion transatlantic, in different time zones, etc.
- hard staying patient with other voices piping in from Down Under to Norway.
I know for a fact that there are many silent readers who also love following these type threads, that are about deep in the music.
- wasn't any post or instance in this thread that this is directed at; just wanted to say this.

If there was a "like" button, I'd use it here, but this isn't Facebook (thankfully). The "like" button should be used tastefully and where appropriate, like tremolo.

Date: July 8, 2011 05:52

I don't care much if you agree, but for the final time it's....

uh,thankx - but stuff it mate!

Date: July 8, 2011 06:00

open-g
I don't care much if you agree, but for the final time it's....

uh,thankx - but stuff it mate!

grinning smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 8, 2011 08:47

The Buffalo Springfield used tremolo to great effect. FWIW and R&R Woman being two good examples.

Posted by: Richmond63 ()
Date: July 8, 2011 11:30

Other vibrato effects are

Pain In My Heart (NO.2) : chords stroke by BJ
The Last Time : main riff by BJ
19th N.B :"diddley daddy" riff by BJ

and...

I’m Alright !

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-08 11:34 by Richmond63.

Date: July 8, 2011 12:58

Richmond63
Other vibrato effects are

Pain In My Heart (NO.2) : chords stroke by BJ
The Last Time : main riff by BJ
19th N.B :"diddley daddy" riff by BJ

and...

I’m Alright !

Now that you named "Pain In My Heart" it makes me wonder if "If You Need me" also has some trem on the straight guitar. I always think of those two songs together.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 8, 2011 14:37

I'll update the first post after breakfast.

I'm thinking of combining tremolo and vibrato into one list. Any opinions on this?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1629
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home