Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rolling Stones Songs With Tremolo
Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 8, 2011 16:29

MingSubu
I'll update the first post after breakfast.

I'm thinking of combining tremolo and vibrato into one list. Any opinions on this?

Since the technical aspects of it have been defined but a lot of people know tremolo as vibrato, yes, it makes sense to combine them.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 8, 2011 18:11

open-g
I'm still wondering if you're right but I found this on Keno's site:
sounds right to my ears and Palace seems to agree, yes?

GROWN UP WRONG

Recorded September 28 & 29, 1964.Released in the US on 12x5 in 1964 and in the UK on Rolling Stones #2 in 1965.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger
Electric Slide Guitar & Harmonica: Brian Jones Rhythm
Electric Guitar & Backing Vocal: Keith Richards
Bass: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts

I am actually amazed that with the abundance of excellent resources and references available people still refer to Keno's site...

Mathijs

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 8, 2011 18:58

Mick said he was going for "A Staples Singers sound" with BLINDED BY RAINBOWS. He said he didn't really get it, "But I think it worked out, anyway." (I'd agree.)

The interviewer then said to Mick, "I once interviewed Pops Staples in a hotel room and he played an unplugged electric guitar and got the tremolo sound out of it."

Mick was highly amused, "Really?!"

The interviewer said, "It must be in his hands."

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 8, 2011 20:57

His Majesty
DragonSky
It's called 'vibrato' on amps but it's technically tremolo. Some amps make the guitar change notes sharp to flat? I've never heard that. Unless it's digital...

Yes, some amps have actual vibrato effect, for example some old Magnatone amps. thumbs up

And most Brown and Silver Face Fender amps had an altered tremelo circuit that actually changed pitch as well. Tape delay machines added pitch shift, and of course, any rotating speaker like a Leslie cab is for a large part a shift in pitch.

Mathijs

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 9, 2011 03:00

Sorta updated the list. I know that I missed some. Just point them out and they'll be added. Again, disagree, or want to confirm a song, speak up.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: July 9, 2011 03:14

MingSubu
I'm thinking of combining tremolo and vibrato into one list. Any opinions on this?
That you've already done it. winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 9, 2011 17:47

The Lantern definitely features tremolo, from a Vox Conqueror, so no need for the question marks. thumbs up

Date: July 10, 2011 01:54

His Majesty
The Lantern definitely features tremolo, from a Vox Conqueror, so no need for the question marks. thumbs up

Can I also say that IMO no question marks needed for "Tie You Up" for for reverse reason. There is no tremolo; there is liberal use of a whammy bar.
Listening to Tie You Up made me dig this outrageously groovy song. It is tight number.

Re: Rolling Stones Songs With Tremolo Or Vibrato
Posted by: Richmond63 ()
Date: July 12, 2011 02:48

"Empty Heart" from 5*5 is a big one.

Posted by: Swedgen72 ()
Date: July 13, 2011 05:17

Sleepy City
What about RS songs with a guitar tremolo arm (whammy bar), are there any?

The main one by a long, long way I can think of is "Dance Little Sister". It's not like Taylor to make use of one either but he goes crazy on this. Think he was playing a Fender Jaguar on that album (correct me if I'm wrong), definitely a different sound to his normal Les Paul. The solo stands up though.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: July 13, 2011 05:25

Palace Revolution 2000
His Majesty

Can I also say that IMO no question marks needed for "Tie You Up" for for reverse reason. There is no tremolo; there is liberal use of a whammy bar.
Listening to Tie You Up made me dig this outrageously groovy song. It is tight number.

Agreed!!!!

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Ayler ()
Date: January 31, 2015 01:30

His Majesty
MingSubu

Down Home Girl
What A Shame

The above two don't feature tremolo as an effect, they feature use of the whammy bar.

Grown Up Wrong is a track which features vibrato effect from an amp, ie it's like tremolo effect, but the pitch wobbles slightly instead of the volume.

Some people mistakenly think the guitars in those 3 tracks is being played with slide.

I'm with you on that. There's no doubt for me on "Down Home Girl" & "Grown Up Wrong" as it's clearly Keith who plays those parts.
The lead guitar part on "What A Shame" is very strange. The song sounds like if it was an unreleased Muddy Water tune, and the lead guitar reminds Muddy's slide style a lot. Really great sound by the way! But after a very close listening, it doesn't sound like slide guitar. A whammy bar indeed. I never played with a Bigsby so it's hard for me to be 100% sure about that. But Keith played his Les Paul at that time so it would make sense. So it's Brian who plays the rhythm part. A fine one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-31 01:31 by Ayler.

Re: Rolling Stones Songs With Tremolo Or Vibrato
Date: January 31, 2015 01:35

Ronnie uses the whammy bar on Whip.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1598
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home