Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: I Go Wild
Posted by: René ()
Date: June 14, 2011 10:32

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

I Go Wild
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Windmill Lane Recording Studios, Dublin, Ireland, November 3 - December 11, 1993 and
Right Track Studios, New York City, New York, US, spring 1994

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals, electric guitar
Keith Richards - electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Ron Wood - electric guitar
Darryl Jones - bass
Chuck Leavell - B-3 organ
Phil Jones - percussion
Bernard Fowler - backing vocals
Ivan Neville - backing vocals

You whipped me, I'm hurting, abused me for certain
And slavery should not exist, is this what I get, a poison kiss

Without you I'm dead meat, I'm a raggedy dog dying in the streets
Of a god-forsaken Shanty town where gangs of children are hunted down

I go wild when you're in my face, I go wild when I taste your taste
I go wild and I go insane, I get sick, somebody stop this pain

You left me, I'm brain dead, I'm feeling nothing, strapped to my bed
On life support, tubes in my nose, tubes in my arms, shot full of holes

I go wild when you're in my face, I go wild when I taste your taste
I go wild and act like a goat and I get sick, lumps in my throat
I go wild, I go wild, I go crazy, I go insane, I get sick, somebody stop this pain

And the doctor says you'll be okay and if you'd only stay away
From femmes fatales and dirty bitches and daylight drabs and nighttime witches
And working girls and blue stockings and dance hall babes and body poppers
And waitresses with broken noses, checkout girls striking poses
And politician's garish wives with alcoholic @#$%& like knives

I go wild, I go wild, I go wild, I go wild, I go wild when you're in my face
I go wild and I'm entranced in a state of grace
I go wild when you treat me bad, I go wild, raving mad
I go wild for you, I go wild for you…

Produced by Don Was & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Voodoo Lounge” 2LP
(Virgin Records V 2750) UK, July 11, 1994

Re: Track Talk: I Go Wild
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 14, 2011 10:36

Pretty good. Certainly far superior to You Got Me Rocking, though not as memorable as Love Is Strong.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 14, 2011 10:48

must be played very loud and it becomes a delicious attack on the living space ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 14, 2011 11:00

Of no particular interest. A fill in. Too mechanical. Lack of creativity.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 14, 2011 11:10

The Stones returning to their guitar oriented roots. Songs like this made the big difference
between the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour and the Voodoo Lounge tour:

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 14, 2011 11:37

The song is not too original, but I like the groove and the liveversion worked very well. YGMR works well in concert too.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 14, 2011 11:54

Never got me hot under the collar but I loved the line And politician's garish wives with alcoholic cnuts like knives

BTW - cnut isn't short for coconut!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 14, 2011 18:49

There's an alternate mix available somewhere from a single b-side which I find superior to the album version. Otherwise good concert song.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 14, 2011 19:06

A by-the-numbers typical 90's Stones rocker, nothing special, and it's too similar to Love Is Strong in places.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: June 14, 2011 19:10

I like it, but the riff is a bit boring and simplistic. Not a bad riff really, but it just goes on too long. Kinda feels unfinished.

...and..no Keith involvement! 100% Jagger

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 14, 2011 19:25

Video is great.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 14, 2011 19:48

It's not a bad Stones rocker. Unfortunately it reminds me that, at least on record, the Stones need more melodic lead playing. Maybe Mick Taylor overdid it at times, especially live, but when it worked, there was no higher incarnation of the Stones.

Date: June 14, 2011 19:57

24FPS
Unfortunately it reminds me that, at least on record, the Stones need more melodic lead playing. Maybe Mick Taylor overdid it at times, especially live, but when it worked, there was no higher incarnation of the Stones.

Or perhaps a sitar, dulcimer, recorder or marimbas would've helped?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 14, 2011 20:47

A good representative what is bad in VOODOO LOUNGE album. Boring, unispired, repitive, half-baked... Also about the first time that I started to feel that the band under-estimates their listeners and goes where the standard is lowest. One of those first songs from the Stones that didn't move me at all. I didn't like it in 1994, and I don't like it now. A pure filler.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-14 20:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 14, 2011 22:13

Disagree with you on this one. I like the song throughout.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: June 14, 2011 22:19

c.unts like knives

Worst Stones lyrics ever.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 14, 2011 22:23

Great song!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 14, 2011 22:24

Should have become the Brown Sugar of the 90s.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 14, 2011 22:58

I agree with JJHMick, I Go Wild is a great tune and it should be a modern Warhorse. But I can understand why Doxa don't like it, it's certainly lyrics for us guys. But I can identify with the lyrics, so so much better if not everyone digs it. Probably the best recorded tune from the boys since Rock and A Hard Place.

Date: June 14, 2011 22:59

The worse thing about it (as with You Got Me Rocking) is the chorus. I like the verses though, & Charlie's drumming is especially good.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 14, 2011 23:10

Charlie sounds fantastic on it - especially the break down bit where it's just him playing and then Keith joins in. Great Stones studio moment imo.

Agree that it's not their best song but....so what.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: June 14, 2011 23:57

So depressing.

A lame song, recorded for the sole purpose of rousing beer-swilling concertgoers into a stadiumwide singalong...

And it failed.

Neatly sums up the worst aspects of the Stones in the post-Steel Wheels era.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 15, 2011 00:39

JJHMick
Should have become the Brown Sugar of the 90s.

Damned !!! A poor riff compared to the most sophisticated Keith chorus. Gloops...

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 15, 2011 00:44

Interesting to read the mixed reviews on this one. To me, this is an absolutely electrifying, churning, propulsive slice of heaven, with as much righteous anger, pain, violence, danger, sensuality, decadence, and sheer wickedness as anything they've ever recorded. It hearkens back to their classic riff-fests and yet sounds completely fresh and contemporary. It's a hell of a song, in every sense of the word.

Please excuse me but I have to explain further. From Charlie's first drumstroke, this one's got a deep, underlying groove that grabs you (or at least, me) by the throat and doesn't let go. The layered guitar production is nothing short of genius ... glorious, crunchy sustained riffs that perfectly mesh with Charlie's phenomenal drumming and Jagger's yowling pleas for someone to stop this pain. Wonderful, brilliantly evocative lyrics, with the culmination being Mick's misogynistic spoken-word rant about what the doctor told him, climaxing when he gleefully spits out the "C" word. And then Charlie's jungle drums carry us through this orgasm, and as we slowly emerge from it, the guitars come hurtling back in.

This is simply a masterpiece, and one of their very best song from the 90's. To pick up on what Come On wrote, I recommend blasting this one so loud that the building (or the car) shakes, and shouting along with Mick at the top of your lungs; there is nothing in this world quite as cathartic or liberating. This is why I love the Stones with all my heart.

Drew

P.S. And you know what, beneath all the violence and misogyny, it's a freaking love song! Kind of like "All About You". God do I love this band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-16 01:28 by drewmaster.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 15, 2011 02:24

Drewmaster you are spot on! Nice one!!!

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: June 15, 2011 02:42

drewmaster
Interesting to read the mixed reviews on this one. To me, this is a churning, propulsive slice of heaven, with as much righteous anger, pain, violence, danger, sensuality, decadence, and sheer wickedness as anything they've ever recorded. It hearkens back to their classic riff-fests and yet sounds completely fresh and contemporary. It's a hell of a song, in every sense of the word.

Please excuse me but I have to explain further. From Charlie's first drumstroke, this one's got a deep, underlying groove that grabs you (or at least, me) by the throat and doesn't let go. The layered guitar production is nothing short of genius ... glorious, crunchy sustained riffs that perfectly mesh with Charlie's phenomenal drumming and Jagger's yowling pleas for someone to stop this pain. Wonderful, brilliantly evocative lyrics, with the culmination being Mick's misogynistic spoken-word rant about what the doctor told him, climaxing when he gleefully spits out the "C" word. And then Charlie's jungle drums carry us through this orgasm, and as we slowly emerge from it, the guitars come hurtling back in.

This is simply a masterpiece, and one of their very best song from the 90's. To pick up on what Come On wrote, I recommend blasting this one so loud that the building (or the car) shakes, and shouting along with Mick at the top of your lungs; there is nothing in this world quite as cathartic or liberating. This is why I love the Stones with all my heart.

Drew

P.S. And you know what, beneath all the violence and misogyny, it's a freaking love song! Kind of like "All About You". God do I love this band.
Totally agree with you. Always loved this song although I'm not really moved by any live version I've heard. Seems the riff doesn't sound as it should. Sadly I didn't get to see a live VL show in person so I can't tell if it was great if there and I'm just disappointed with the recordings or what....but on the album, hell yeah crank it up!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 15, 2011 02:42

At least they gave it a go on stage. Never really worked though, even if Jagger tried his best.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 15, 2011 02:52

drewmaster
Interesting to read the mixed reviews on this one. To me, this is a churning, propulsive slice of heaven, with as much righteous anger, pain, violence, danger, sensuality, decadence, and sheer wickedness as anything they've ever recorded. It hearkens back to their classic riff-fests and yet sounds completely fresh and contemporary. It's a hell of a song, in every sense of the word.

Drew

Wow...and I can't even make out a melody on this one.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: June 15, 2011 03:06

I think I Go Wild is one the best songs on the album.I love that song

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: June 15, 2011 04:46

Perfect six-pack sound. You drink a six, and it's just the right speed.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home